PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else seem a little disapointed?

Magicman10893
07-19-2010, 08:39 PM
From what I've read on this site, Bioware is removing the Origin stories and the ability to choose what race you are. Is anyone disappointed like I am? The coolest feature in Dragon Age was that you choose the background for your character and it gave your character different motivations throughout the plot and made each playthrough feel different. Some effected major choices throughout the game, like Dwarf Nobles had a good reason to support Harrowmont as opposed to Bhelen in Orzammar. Without that I think the plot and replayability will have a big hit.

Aside from those drawbacks, I am excited to see the new graphics, combat system and I am glad to hear that the main character has a voice and no morality system is being added.

shudderWINGS
07-19-2010, 08:44 PM
I was disappointed at the onset of the news, however, I took a deep breath.

Sighed.

And remembered that the game is developed by Bioware.

All is right in the world.

Magicman10893
07-20-2010, 04:19 AM

Sighed.

I know, that's why I am still gonna buy it. I mean, it's cool that it's getting the Mass Effect 2 treatment (better graphics and a revamped combat system) and it is great to have fully voiced main character, but the lack of Origins is gonna really hurt the re-playability. I beat that game 9 times, picking different Origins each time and played the Mage, Human Noble and Dalish Elf twice. It really kept the game fresh by playing different Origins, races and classes, now we only have different classes to make the game feel fresh.

shudderWINGS
07-20-2010, 03:47 PM
I know, that's why I am still gonna buy it. I mean, it's cool that it's getting the Mass Effect 2 treatment (better graphics and a revamped combat system) and it is great to have fully voiced main character, but the lack of Origins is gonna really hurt the re-playability. I beat that game 9 times, picking different Origins each time and played the Mage, Human Noble and Dalish Elf twice. It really kept the game fresh by playing different Origins, races and classes, now we only have different classes to make the game feel fresh.

I totally agree. I played the game several times -- not just the origin sequence to get the achievement -- to the fullest possible extent, whereas I've played through a game like Mass Effect approximately 2-3 times and Mass Effect 1-2 times. It hurts the replayability.

Honestly though, if it's half as good as Dragon Age: Origins and Awakenings were (and all the DLC being released) then I'll give it a thumbs up. As long as they don't screw with the combat system too much.

ITD Soldierboy
07-25-2010, 01:32 AM
It's not that bad. Now Bioware has the chance to make ONE great single-player, than 6/7 average single-player variations.

Nei Debrusc
07-27-2010, 03:01 AM
I'm mostly disappointed that they only made a male Hawke and didn't give the choice to be a female character. They worked it so seamlessly into Mass Effect 1 and 2, so I have no idea why they didn't do the same with this one. Ah well. I'll probably buy it anyway, because Bioware doesn't make bad games. Period.

Vanilla Coke Zero
07-28-2010, 09:14 PM
I'm mostly disappointed that they only made a male Hawke and didn't give the choice to be a female character. They worked it so seamlessly into Mass Effect 1 and 2, so I have no idea why they didn't do the same with this one. Ah well. I'll probably buy it anyway, because Bioware doesn't make bad games. Period.

you can be female.

ByakuyaSZ
07-30-2010, 12:46 AM
Aww man really? Where did they say this information? But anyway.. even if they remove the origins i'd still buy the game. There wouldn't be a huge replay value anymore but it's still going to be a great game. I can just go play the first one again after I beat the second if I want more replay ;D

IVIan13earPig
08-01-2010, 01:21 AM
I'd say wait and see what news about the game comes out. Yes, it was really interesting to see how the different origins affected the gamse, but I am very excited to have a voiced character. An unvoiced character just made the conversations a bit odd to me. Bioware has yet to make an RPG of late that I have not liked, so I am very excited for this. What helps is that you can import your decisions that you made in Dragon Age Origins an Awakening into #2, so you could theoretically play through DAO again just to see how it would affect Dragon Age 2.

OG T UNIT
08-01-2010, 07:45 AM
Not disappointed, excited.

Opiate42
08-09-2010, 01:52 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I really have to get back to playing DA:O and finally finish it!

SnowSHOWERS
08-13-2010, 03:05 PM
I really don't care if i get one amazing playthrough of this rather than the 3 subpar ones from DA then i'll be more than happy!!!

Mooney910
08-18-2010, 05:08 PM

Sighed.

It must feel good to be Bioware. Their games are nearly always critically and commercially successful.

OT: When I first read it, I was disappointed. That was my favorite part of DA:O. The stories were well-crafted for each race and they had their own dialogue trees. I love pissing off the Chantry as a dwarf. I probably won't play through the sequel as many times since you have to be the same guy.

Owellyn
08-23-2010, 11:11 AM
And Hawke can be male or female, any class, the only restriction is race, so things just started looking up again for me :D

Cypher_Cobra
09-03-2010, 08:00 AM
It's a good idea.

First off you only need 2 VAs to do all the lines for Hawke, which is why they did it in Mass Effect.

Next the hero will have a voice, voiceless character archetypes are so ancient and out dated.

It will make the story more contiguous. If the hero is guaranteedly a human you can write a storyline off of that without worrying about all the variables of the origin storylines.

This change makes the game way more streamlined and up to date with it's sci-fi counter part Mass Effect.

Deffinitely a good idea.

assasinscreed
09-03-2010, 08:15 AM
From what I've read on this site, Bioware is removing the Origin stories and the ability to choose what race you are. Is anyone disappointed like I am? The coolest feature in Dragon Age was that you choose the background for your character and it gave your character different motivations throughout the plot and made each playthrough feel different. Some effected major choices throughout the game, like Dwarf Nobles had a good reason to support Harrowmont as opposed to Bhelen in Orzammar. Without that I think the plot and replayability will have a big hit.

Aside from those drawbacks, I am excited to see the new graphics, combat system and I am glad to hear that the main character has a voice and no morality system is being added. should i get this game? everyone else says its really good but idkk?

Cypher_Cobra
09-06-2010, 06:56 AM
should i get this game? everyone else says its really good but idkk?

This game involves a good amount of talking, and listening. And the combat is based more on strategic thinking rather than reactive action.

So if you like action games, grab Mass Effect. If you have been a fan of turn taking RPGs, games with a slower pace but with a strong story then you'll like DAO.

BaldWombat
09-09-2010, 12:23 AM
I was actually excited when I read this news. Going to one species will not only allow the main character to have a voice but should also bring a more in depth story to the game. The origin stories in the first were nice but I couldn't get engaged enough in them to actually play them all the way thru. From what I have read, Hawke's story deals a lot with his family so they would of had to not only change his character but the supporting cast as well for each origin. Then they would of had to do different voice actors for male and female versions of the different species as Dwarves really don't sound like Humans/Elves.

Lisbon_Lion_67
09-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Hugely disapointed so far. Im still taking the week off when it comes out though.

Cypher_Cobra
09-12-2010, 05:16 AM
Very contradicting.

Lisbon_Lion_67
09-12-2010, 09:12 PM
Im sure its going to be a great game but i can't help but feel they are doing the same as they did with mass effect. I loved the first one but imo the second for me wasn't nearly as good.

Anyway this is the only game i want in 2011 so far and even though its foolish to predict how the game will compare to origins i don't believe it will be as good. I mean origins was the best game i've played this gen. More dragon age is brilliant however.

To clarify on my earlier coment im really in two minds about this one. But first day purchase either way.

TriRock
09-18-2010, 06:37 PM
I trust in BioWare to make this the best game of 2011.

Qonok
09-18-2010, 07:42 PM
To me, it is great they are doing voice over for the main character and limiting the race because of that. I just hope that then they will use a few more character models for the npc's.
I just finished Awakenings and even though Alistair was not in the game his likeness and voice was on two different characters that had a good amount of face time. Mass effect was the same way with the same two or three character models used for every npc in the game.
Kind of takes me out of the story a bit when I see everyone is a twin of the other. "Hey, look, that guy looks and sounds just like that other guy. Must be his brother."

thestillwind
09-24-2010, 12:45 PM
It's 100% sure that it'll be a great game. The only thing that might not get everyone approval is because of it's predecessor Origins. Nevertheless, this game will be a mass effect style but it'll be really nice. So far if I understand very well, there will be no toolset for that game, so getting it on pc will be meaningless. I took Origins on PC only for that, and they said 2 years worth of DLC, but the last and final one they released was before the game 1st year old.... too sad

Remnant69
10-01-2010, 11:27 AM
I was a bit dissapointed by the removal of the origins and the grey wardens in general. I also had hoped that in 2 you would be able to chase Morrigan (if you had romanced with her in 1) in order to finish that VERY amiguous end to the storyline. And the lack of customisation kind of sucks too...

...but, on the other hand, on its own merits it seems like DA2 will be an excellent game, which is no surpirse as its from Bioware. Still a little let down from the first one though.

Eques De Valor
10-01-2010, 11:39 AM
I am thrilled the main character will finally have a voice! That certainly does explain why they aren't repeating the origins stories; too many voice actors. No voice for the main character was a big complaint of one of my friends about Origins, so I can't wait to tell her.

I X I Shock I
10-08-2010, 11:00 PM
I'd like to point out that this is DA2, not Origins #2. But if you think about it, did the origins really change all that much, other than the first hour of gameplay, and a few choice encounters? I mean either way, Dwarf, Elf, or Human, the game ends with one of the few already based endings, race doesn't matter.

And for re-playability, the only way BioWare games actually have any kind of replay, is if you can make each character have a unique personality, or at least do shit differently.

But yeah, there will still be some re-playability in DA2, it's all based on your choices in Origins and in DA2. Who knows, instead of what, 4(?) endings, there may now be closer to 10.

TriRock
10-09-2010, 08:45 AM
I also had hoped that in 2 you would be able to chase Morrigan (if you had romanced with her in 1) in order to finish that VERY amiguous end to the storyline.

Then you should pick up the Witch Hunt DLC. However, while fun, it ends in a very Soprano way.

bawrash
10-27-2010, 12:24 AM
It's a good idea.

First off you only need 2 VAs to do all the lines for Hawke, which is why they did it in Mass Effect.

Next the hero will have a voice, voiceless character archetypes are so ancient and out dated.

It will make the story more contiguous. If the hero is guaranteedly a human you can write a storyline off of that without worrying about all the variables of the origin storylines.

This change makes the game way more streamlined and up to date with it's sci-fi counter part Mass Effect.

Deffinitely a good idea.

I gonna disagree with everything you have said. The origins give greater depth of understanding when you can experience both or many sides. Key word experience.

Characters not having a voice makes the game more imaginative as you can have them sound how you want them to and reading a story means your more focused, remember key facts better and wont miss anything because someone interrupted, plus generally when a sequel has voices added it becomes drastically shorter.

If you remove the variables it is easy to loose consideration of the character depths and the story soon becomes streamlined like a COD game where you dont become part of whats happening. This has arguably been the flaw for many people with mass effect 2 that it no longer has the feel of an RPG.

A great RPG is one that gives more choices than any one person could need.

chewat
10-27-2010, 11:37 AM
A great RPG is one that gives more choices than any one person could need.
what that guy said and also get it up u cobra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cav Clayton
10-28-2010, 07:21 AM
I think you guys are forgetting what a sequel is.
I suppose rehashes like CoD, Guitar Hero etc are the norm for sequels these days.

This game will be a continuation of the Dragon Age Universe with a better combat system and other enhanced features such as classes. dialogue etc..

I think Mass Effect 2's streamlined gameplay elements were for the best. It was the story that lacked. In fact, the most powerful scene in that game was the Normandy Crash Site.

I X I Shock I
10-28-2010, 09:27 AM
Cav, if this was Facebook, I would like your post :P

shipkey1586
11-02-2010, 03:54 AM
I've played DAO multiple times and I absolutely love it. I cannot wait for the second one. I personally don't care if there are multiple race choices or not, that's not where the excitement is for me. I just can't wait for the storyline and the combat.

Cav Clayton
11-03-2010, 09:05 AM
Cav, if this was Facebook, I would like your post :P
Haha your words do just fine :P

BaldWombat
11-06-2010, 08:28 PM
I suppose rehashes like CoD, Guitar Hero etc are the norm for sequels these days.

This game will be a continuation of the Dragon Age Universe with a better combat system and other enhanced features such as classes. dialogue etc..

I think Mass Effect 2's streamlined gameplay elements were for the best. It was the story that lacked. In fact, the most powerful scene in that game was the Normandy Crash Site.

Quoted for truth.

Kboat05
11-06-2010, 08:34 PM

I agree.
Why bother making another game that is exactly the same?

Slagar7
11-12-2010, 04:01 AM
I'm a little dissapointed with the lack of origins, but Bioware does a great job with their games, so I have faith in them that it'll still turn out alright. I'm really concerned about the change in the combat, though...

newbsicle
11-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Yeah, I was kind of looking for a true sequel. Bioware is selling the game using the name of the series, yet I still think they should have named it something else. Maybe 'Dragon Age: Rebirth' or something along those lines so people know it's not really a sequel, it's a whole new game set in the DA world.

I personally was disgusted with all the nickle and dimming dlc on ME2. If DA2 is plagued with the same treatment I won't bother playing it on the 360 at all.

Pearson
01-12-2011, 12:30 AM
I'm disappointed that they pushed back the release date from 2/2 to 3/8, the same day that Deus Ex: Human Revelation. I hate having to buy two games on the same day. Same month, no problem, but on the same day sucks!

Cav Clayton
01-16-2011, 01:16 PM
Yeah, I was kind of looking for a true sequel. Bioware is selling the game using the name of the series, yet I still think they should have named it something else. Maybe 'Dragon Age: Rebirth' or something along those lines so people know it's not really a sequel, it's a whole new game set in the DA world.

I personally was disgusted with all the nickle and dimming dlc on ME2. If DA2 is plagued with the same treatment I won't bother playing it on the 360 at all.
This will be a true sequel. The reason for Origins was to open you up to their world and prepare you for the event that occur in it. I understand people want to continue the story of the characters of Origins (credit to Bioware for great story-telling) but it's been said from the start that Origins was just the beginning of things. In fact if the name didn't give that away well..

I still also doubt we'll see the last of the original characters.

fivebyfive200
01-17-2011, 09:49 PM
I disagree about "streamlining" is for the best for bioware games, its aiming the game who just like to shoot things or button mash. Don't see a problem with the new characters or story.

BloodGodAlucard
02-01-2011, 02:12 AM
I'm very hyped for this game. Next to Mass Effect 3 this is my most anticipated game of the year.

iceflame
02-01-2011, 02:03 PM
i am a little bit dissapointed but i still wants the game. i hoped they did keep the da:o story and not change it to a little bit of mass effect 2

grim0187
02-09-2011, 02:18 AM

Off topic, but why do you have a speed and ping test from August of last year in your sig?

If your trying to show us something, I dont think its relevant anymore, lol

Big_Sama
02-11-2011, 08:10 PM
I am upset that there is still only 3 options warrior, mage, and rouge. This is ridiculous D&D has had more options for ages.

jake452
02-11-2011, 09:23 PM
again another sign its turning into mass effect, not that thats a bad thing

Pieville
02-15-2011, 09:24 AM
I don't think that no origin stories will affect the re-playability all that much, because with one story means, they can add more choices while still keeping it simple.
DA2 spans of a 10-year story, so the way I see it, the choices you make at one stage can affect the future in a different way.

Cav Clayton
02-16-2011, 01:48 PM
From what I've seen of gameplay:

It's still Dragon Age.
It has faster-paced combat (not so much on higher difficulties) and voiced main characters.

That's about as streamlined as its got atm.

Unless they pull lame recruiting missions (ala Mass Effect 2), or cut back on engrossing side-quests and their much-sort-after loot, I still think this game will be superb.

Heck, even if it's not we still got ME3 and Skyrim just months away right?