PDA

View Full Version : Is Trueachievements not working?

Korean
07-20-2010, 02:15 AM
I haven't been able to access the site since yesterday; is it not working for anyone else?

PointPlaceWI
07-20-2010, 02:17 AM
http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

Just you, I think.

andami
07-20-2010, 02:18 AM
Maybe it only effects certain people. I've been having trouble with the site for the past week.

Korean
07-20-2010, 02:21 AM

Just you, I think.

This is a cool site! Thanks.

Anyway, I don't understand why I can't access the site :/ Every other site is working perfectly fine.

Mister Buds
07-20-2010, 02:38 AM
definitely just you. i have it set as my homepage and it loaded every time. was a little bit slow earlier today, but that's about it.

Korean
07-20-2010, 02:52 AM
Would you look at that.. It's working now!
I tried fiddling around with my router settings.

I wish I could delete this topic..

SSOib4F
07-20-2010, 01:18 PM
For me (and maybe, everyone else), right now, it is working fine.

Try to clean up the cookies from your browser. Maybe it helps.

DigitalTru7h
07-20-2010, 02:18 PM
For me (and maybe, everyone else), right now, it is working fine.

Try to clean up the cookies from your browser. Maybe it helps. Yeah he solved it already.

master_shake_350
07-20-2010, 02:46 PM
This is a cool site! Thanks.

Anyway, I don't understand why I can't access the site :/ Every other site is working perfectly fine.

I can't access it either but I have had this problem for ages. For some reason my IP provider blocks it.

mrbonelly
07-20-2010, 06:33 PM
I was having problems last week where my gamertag was not recognized. It would say "invalid gamertag", it happened again yesterday, can't check it right now since i'm at work and it's blocked

BemusedBox
07-20-2010, 06:38 PM
Sometimes it gose slow and a few times it would not load at all.

RadiantViper
07-20-2010, 06:47 PM
I was having problems last week where my gamertag was not recognized. It would say "invalid gamertag", it happened again yesterday, can't check it right now since i'm at work and it's blocked

That's actually a problem with Xbox.com, I had the same issue. You just have to give it a while and it fixes itself.

ValkyrieOne15
09-19-2010, 04:57 AM
down again?

Telexen
09-19-2010, 05:27 AM
down here...has been for a few hours.

Ao2 gearhead
09-19-2010, 05:41 AM
im having problems with it too damn sites lol

CONKER1182
09-19-2010, 05:47 AM
TrueAchievements is a broken achievement website pretty much.

Efford
09-19-2010, 05:53 AM
http://www.websitedown.info/www.trueachievements.com

KillerBEA
09-19-2010, 06:13 AM
360voice is ALOT worse!

and its down for maintenance.

CONKER1182
09-19-2010, 06:15 AM
360voice is ALOT worse!

and its down for maintenance.

How often is 360voice down for maintenance?

GaTechGrad
09-19-2010, 06:28 AM

TrueAchievements is the most accurate and quickest way I can find out which are the easiest achievements to get in a game. Having the guides linked off the achievements is also nice, but I've noticed more than a few of the guides that are lifted from this site. They just need to make the table listing the default for a game, which is the only way the achievements can be sorted by TA Ratio. Their "leaderboards" really need some work, which only contain players registered to their website. Plus, the leaderboard by state seems to be really buggy.

CONKER1182
09-19-2010, 06:33 AM
TrueAchievements is the most accurate and quickest way I can find out which are the easiest achievements to get in a game. Having the guides linked off the achievements is also nice, but I've noticed more than a few of the guides that are lifted from this site. They just need to make the table listing the default for a game, which is the only way the achievements can be sorted by TA Ratio. Their "leaderboards" really need some work, which only contain players registered to their website. Plus, the leaderboard by state seems to be really buggy.

The leaderboards on TA are inaccurate?

KillerBEA
09-19-2010, 06:37 AM
How often is 360voice down for maintenance? I don't know, my gamertag hasn't been scanned on there in almost a week so i don't go on there anymore Trueachievements is a great site all in all.

tehapoc
09-19-2010, 06:40 AM

Leaderboard position is determined by TA score and not gamerscore. And there is no official gamerscore website. Xbox America and Trueachievements are the primary source for leaderboard positions.

CONKER1182
09-19-2010, 06:41 AM
I don't know, my gamertag hasn't been scanned on there in almost a week so i don't go on there anymore Trueachievements is a great site all in all.

I`ve had some bad experiences with TA.

Airman Rufio
09-19-2010, 07:13 AM
this site and true achievements are like my crack so when one of them goes down i just get so bored and i flip out. Hope it goes up soon.

Eksy
09-19-2010, 07:55 AM

Just you, I think.
That's a great reference. o.o

Also, the site, as of right now, is down for me. According downforeveryone site, it should be down for you guys too. :x

Ivo
09-19-2010, 08:50 AM
Hmm... for me it says:

It's not just you! http://www.trueachievements.com (http://www.trueachievements.com/) looks down from here.

mortug
09-19-2010, 09:01 AM
Pinger trueachievements.com [78.129.202.35] med 32 byte data:

Svar fra 78.129.202.35: byte=32 tid=78ms TTL=119
Svar fra 78.129.202.35: byte=32 tid=77ms TTL=119
Svar fra 78.129.202.35: byte=32 tid=77ms TTL=119
Svar fra 78.129.202.35: byte=32 tid=78ms TTL=119

pretty sure it will come back

but what's going on with 360voice.com?

Capn Doug
09-19-2010, 09:13 AM
How often is 360voice down for maintenance?

Not often, but they had something clog up the daily tasks last week, so there hasn't been an update in 8 days now. If you read their forums, it is kind of amusing to see the long time members rant.

By region, yes. They rely on self declaration of where you live to determine the regional leaderboard that you should be on. They also have such a small fraction of the gaming community. It might be an accurate placement of where you are in the scorewhore community, though. Kind of like how the x360a leaderboards are an accurate placement of where you are in relation to other active members of x360a.

And there is no official gamerscore website. Xbox America and Trueachievements are the primary source for leaderboard positions.

Actually, every gamertag that is signed into live gets put on the leaderboards for MyGamercard.net, so that is probably the most accurate. Some 3.5 million people on that leaderboard. Can't speak with any authority on XBox America, though.

The talk at PAX was that TrueAchievements may run into trouble soon. They skim the XBox feeds without Microsoft's permission, and Microsoft may just block all the IPs coming from TA one day. Then again, XBox.com is still running as slow as ever, so it might be back soon.

Machina22
09-19-2010, 09:37 AM
It's an awesome site and they've really improved it hugely since I first joined.

This is the message left on the site's Twitter:

"Loads of Disk errors on my SQL box, site's going to be up and down a bit until I can resolve, sorry!."

@KillerBEA- You can 'force' it to scan twice a day by clicking the button on your profile page, there's no need to wait for an automatic scan.

Telexen
09-19-2010, 09:51 AM
The talk at PAX was that TrueAchievements may run into trouble soon. They skim the XBox feeds without Microsoft's permission, and Microsoft may just block all the IPs coming from TA one day. Then again, XBox.com is still running as slow as ever, so it might be back soon.

MS gave TA an Xbox Community Developer license last year...

Also one would have to be an unintelligent drunk to think that 360voice is better than TA. Since GamerDNA's acquisition of it, I'm almost certain they've REMOVED more features than they've added. Either removed or let sit there completely broken (like genre badges).

tarekegypt
09-19-2010, 11:27 AM
this site and true achievements are like my crack so when one of them goes down i just get so bored and i flip out. Hope it goes up soon.

Same here.. especially TA.. sorry x360a! The experience on TA is "personal" due to data collection.. any update on when TA will be back

KILLING5PR33
09-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Not often, but they had something clog up the daily tasks last week, so there hasn't been an update in 8 days now. If you read their forums, it is kind of amusing to see the long time members rant.

By region, yes. They rely on self declaration of where you live to determine the regional leaderboard that you should be on. They also have such a small fraction of the gaming community. It might be an accurate placement of where you are in the scorewhore community, though. Kind of like how the x360a leaderboards are an accurate placement of where you are in relation to other active members of x360a.

Actually, every gamertag that is signed into live gets put on the leaderboards for MyGamercard.net, so that is probably the most accurate. Some 3.5 million people on that leaderboard. Can't speak with any authority on XBox America, though.

my gamercard is definitely not accurate. when it says i have over 100k gamerscore on my tag when i really have 48k u know they have problems updating.

Vigor
09-19-2010, 12:39 PM
I think all problems are solves whenever xbox.com starts implementing all of those TA features on their website and give us the money worth.

xbox.com is one of the worst profile websites ever.
They don't support PNG., the gamerpics were removed from profiles and since recent no longer viewable are the amount of friends online in the top bar.

Mister Buds
09-19-2010, 01:24 PM
i've been wondering what's been going on with it. last three days it's been saying that it's not a valid server. i don't think trueachievement would completely get rid of the site though since he's put so much time and effort into it.

Mightymango
09-19-2010, 01:34 PM
I don't know, my gamertag hasn't been scanned on there in almost a week so i don't go on there anymore Trueachievements is a great site all in all.

The replication server for 360voice crashed, that is why you haven't had a blog in a week. They had to basically reload the server, it should be back up to full function today or tomorrow I've been told..

That being said, its not "down" like TA is currently.

And TA was granted full access rights to Xbox.com's data feed a few months ago so that is not the reason it is not up. According to TA's twitter the SQL server had a large disk error, so, that would tell me he is fixing that issue.

Loads of Disk errors on my SQL box, site's going to be up and down a bit until I can resolve, sorry!

The Pants Party
09-19-2010, 02:03 PM
MS gave TA an Xbox Community Developer license last year...

And TA was granted full access rights to Xbox.com's data feed a few months ago so that is not the reason it is not up.

That license still doesn't give them access to the information they are scraping from Microsoft's servers. A feed for that information literally does not exist. Back when they made their push to get that license, they made a big deal about it like it would make them legit, just so people would stop talking about their illegal practices, but the truth is they are essentially lying to everyone.

http://www.xbox.com/en-us/community/developer/rules.htm

Those are the rules and things you get access to with that license. Nowhere does it mention a mythical informational feed for achievements. I like what the site does, it's a unique feature, but at the same time it has destroyed how xbox.com functions, and makes using that official source for achievements harder on the entire 360 community. Ever notice how lately all our achievement lists have only had the "question mark" icon, instead of actual achievement pictures? Or how DLC is always being added late and screwing up people's achievements? I have no doubt that the decreased performance of xbox.com due to pirating scrapes is affecting their ability to publish their achievements properly.

Mr Snipey
09-19-2010, 02:08 PM
xbox.com is indeed very, very slow but this is the richest company in the world - can't they add a few more server clusters??

StW
09-19-2010, 02:27 PM
Yup, hasnt been working for me all day :/

EDIT: [QUOTE=PointPlaceWI;3319961]http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

lmao awesome site thanks man

Chaos MAN
09-19-2010, 02:56 PM
Still not back yet. ( sad face )

Mightymango
09-19-2010, 03:08 PM
That is interesting information Pants, I thought that the license granted them that access so they didn't have to take the information without asking. I still don't think that is why the site is down. It makes me wonder if the datafeed has changed though as 360voice and TA both having database issues within a few days of each other is pretty strange.

I haven't noticed any loading or speed issues on xbox.com, it always seems to work fine for me.

TakahashiDemon
09-19-2010, 03:21 PM
I hope TrueAchievements.com does come back at some point soon, I've been having problems getting my avatar awards from Sonic Adventure as well as achievement pictures to show to my BF, on his xbox, then when I try looking at them on xbox.com they are ? blocks but my outfit for my avatar shows fine there..

CarbonArgon
09-19-2010, 03:35 PM
According to that 'downforeveryone' website, it is offline for me to...
I NEED MY DOSE OF TRUEACHIEVEMENTS!

Mightymango
09-19-2010, 03:41 PM
According to that 'downforeveryone' website, it is offline for me to...
I NEED MY DOSE OF TRUEACHIEVEMENTS!

Well....if the link says its down for everyone...and its not working that would mean its down.

JMJimmy
09-19-2010, 04:13 PM
@Pants I registered just to reply to your idiotic statements.

a) There's nothing in Xbox.com's terms of use which prohibits scrapes so long as it's not for replication (data collection is ok, duplication of the whole or part is not - even then it's a grey area - see Google Cache legal battle(s) and historical archiving sites). If this were the case, Google and every other search engine would be in violation. So long as TA respects their robots file they're fine.
b) The community developer licence gives them the right to display Microsoft Games Studio content (ie: videos, pics, artwork, etc) but is really useless to them because the site does actively solicit donations which is prohibited under the licence agreement. Either way they can easily claim fair use for what they do display for those few titles.
c) If you understood anything about technology you'd know that publishing to a website has NOTHING to do with how busy it is. If anything, M$ decided to push stuff to the website prior to having everything run the approval gauntlet so there's at least something there.

Superjoint Ritual
09-19-2010, 04:22 PM
I heard it was scheduled but we would have heard about it if that was true. I'm SURE they're not down forever. Also TA is probably the BEST achievement site out there. 360voice is a joke. Although I use almost all achievement sites TA is like no other. Leaderboards, user made leaderboards, badges, goals, challenges, new achievement notifications, great news feed etc.

JMJimmy
09-19-2010, 04:26 PM
I heard it was scheduled but we would have heard about it if that was true. I'm SURE they're not down forever. Also TA is probably the BEST achievement site out there. 360voice is a joke. Although I use almost all achievement sites TA is like no other. Leaderboards, user made leaderboards, badges, goals, challenges, new achievement notifications, great news feed etc.

It's not scheduled. See: http://twitter.com/trueachievement

dropK1CK_ninJA
09-19-2010, 04:44 PM
TA is currently down. Initially it was a server side issue and now it is SQL issue (as pointed out).

It doesn't surprise me to see TA bashing in this thread but to clear up some points:

1. It'd be silly to ignore the best possible solution for an achievement if another site hosts it. At least TA credits its sources instead of claiming them as their own original work.

2. TA's achievement system is much more fluid for achievement hunters providing the best solution (as voted on) and allows for secondary and tertiary options to solutions instead of a rigid walkthrough posted that is hardly edited after its intial published.

2a. This is not a bash on x360a's work. They do a great job, I just prefer the wiki style that TA offers.

3. No leaderboard is 100% accurate unless it is piped right into the Live servers.

3a. Mygamercard.net has a huge issue with cheaters. They don't police their leaderboards at all. Prime example is Ghostbusters. Atari even used that as an excuse to say "you're just doing it wrong. Hundreds have gotten 1000."

4. TA is always improving and have a very vibrated community that is always seeking to improve itself with ideas submited by the community.

To claim it is a broken website (ha! The irony of that statement) is false and just shows the ignorance of certain gamers. That is like me claiming that x360a is a broken website because they don't update their guides later in a game's life cycle and require someone to dig through the forums for alternate solutions.

guillermo316
09-19-2010, 04:49 PM
I never liked that site, i feel like my soul belongs to this site only lol!

gabwe
09-19-2010, 05:00 PM
Same here.. especially TA.. sorry x360a! The experience on TA is "personal" due to data collection.. any update on when TA will be back
And same here... I love x360a too, but TA is much more "personal", as you say.

Kid Vranic
09-19-2010, 05:05 PM
bah, you beat me machina22...I wanted to post it and scrolled down only to find you lol.

nightstorm56
09-19-2010, 05:17 PM
I miss my TA. I have a couple of Gamer Goals that I need to see if they were completed or not. It's like a crack cocaine habit without the dealer to supply you.

Eggbert Chunk
09-19-2010, 05:29 PM
From http://twitter.com/trueachievement

Site Update - we have a complete Hard Drive failure on the database server, I am hoping to get the site fully functional by Thursday

:eek::(

CarbonArgon
09-19-2010, 05:57 PM
From http://twitter.com/trueachievement

Site Update - we have a complete Hard Drive failure on the database server, I am hoping to get the site fully functional by Thursday

:eek::(

NO!!! :(:mad:

Capn Doug
09-19-2010, 06:08 PM
It doesn't surprise me to see TA bashing in this thread but to clear up some points:

1. It'd be silly to ignore the best possible solution for an achievement if another site hosts it. At least TA credits its sources instead of claiming them as their own original work.

You are quite right on that, TA does offer more detail on many specific achievement guides, compared with the full guide here, though much of the same information can be found here by searching the forums. Then again, like any site where the content is user developed, you will find very good guides and very bad guides, it is the way of things. I don't think any rational person would denegrate TA for that part of your site.

The issue that has been pointed out a few times, best by Pants, is the practice of scraping data from the Microsoft servers. I understand it is the only way to do what your site does, and the primary reason I use your site, but it is still not allowed under the rules. Minty has pointed out in the past that if x360a were to do what you are doing, it would shutdown the xbox servers, and Webb has pointed out that if we did what you did, there would be greater retribution on the part of Microsoft.

It has been a wierd week, seeing other site notables outside their home environment. Norvy on 360Voice, Dropkick Ninja here, I guess server chaos forces people to expand.

JMJimmy
09-19-2010, 06:16 PM
The issue that has been pointed out a few times, best by Pants, is the practice of scraping data from the Microsoft servers. I understand it is the only way to do what your site does, and the primary reason I use your site, but it is still not allowed under the rules. Minty has pointed out in the past that if x360a were to do what you are doing, it would shutdown the xbox servers, and Webb has pointed out that if we did what you did, there would be greater retribution on the part of Microsoft.

That's completely false. There's nothing in the terms of use that prohibits it. If x360a started doing it they might have to add some extra capacity but MS wants sites like TA/x360a etc to thrive because it does their community building job for them - something Sony & Nintendo have failed to do.

dropK1CK_ninJA
09-19-2010, 07:06 PM
You are quite right on that, TA does offer more detail on many specific achievement guides, compared with the full guide here, though much of the same information can be found here by searching the forums. Then again, like any site where the content is user developed, you will find very good guides and very bad guides, it is the way of things. I don't think any rational person would denegrate TA for that part of your site.

It has been a wierd week, seeing other site notables outside their home environment. Norvy on 360Voice, Dropkick Ninja here, I guess server chaos forces people to expand.

Norvy has been an active 360v users for a long as I can remember. He's always gotten a kick out of the user "blogs" there and the contests.

I have been moderately active here. I know 130+ posts is not an astronomical amount, but it isn't by "magic" that I happen to pop up in these forums.

As for the "rules" about the developer license for TA. That had been in approval process for well over 6 months of time. During that time period, the site never hide how it does business or had some nefarious plan in the background. A handful of silver accounts comb Xbox.com for achievement changes. I'm sure, as looking at their forum activity that there is huge numbers of traffic that trumps TA's data usage.

During that time period, it is safe to assume that Microsoft thoroughly evaluated what TrueAchievements does and how it impacts Microsoft. It is quite clear that Microsoft was okay with our usage because they just recently granted us a community developer's license. If I remember correctly, again we can't dig these posts up, TA (the person) made it pretty clear that this license granted the website access to the XML data streams which would decrease load times, increase scanning capabilities and allowed us a number of other options. I bet that if any of his statements were untrue, Microsoft's lawyers would have been all over it.

No where in the rules does it state that TrueAchievements is not allowed to collect the data from Xbox.com for our own usage. The only violation is that TA publicly solicitates donations to keep the servers running. He does not do it for a profit, as far as I know, he (TA) has a full time job and works on TA as a side project.

I find it amusing that if an X360A declares what TA is doing as illegal, the regulars will jump on that point and say that it must be true. I understand that TA and X360A share the same market space and will compete for the usage of those users, but TA has never gone out of its way to try and bash X360A. In fact, if users open threads discussing X360A is better than TA or vice versa, the moderators close those threads immediately. We do not foster an environment of that nature. I just wonder if the X360A staff views TA in the same light. Sometimes I get the feeling that certain X360A users (not necessarily staff) feel threatened with what TA offers and what they have accomplished. Let me repeat that TA is not out to crush X360A, we like to view them as healthy competition but we are users of X360A (and 360V) too.

With that in mind, when a high up X360A staff member declares what TA does as illegal, I question in my mind their motivations. Just as you can fairly question my motivations for making this post, since I get the feeling this post could jeopardize my account on this website, as far as I know TA does not operate in an illegal fashion.

This is a bit of a tangent, but one of Pants' points was that notice how achievements now have question marks when the games are released, you don't think that has anything to do with the increase exposure achievement lists get before a game is released now? As far as I knew, secret achievements specifically always had question marks for the PNG. This is nothing new! This is just looking for an excuse to fan the fire of "TA IS WRONG" thought.

Finally, in my experience since 2004, Xbox.com has always been sluggish. You don't think the increased ability to make purchases, achievements, and a huge size of forums, plays more of a factor in server speeds rather than a handful of silver accounts scanning specific (repeat: SPECIFIC) profiles? No. TA even has limits on how much scanning you can do. A quick break down:

Active within last month: 1 scan/24 hours
Inactive within last month: 1 scan/7 days
Donator scans: 1 scan/~8 hours

You can force scans:
Manual scans: 2 scans/24 hours
Donator manual scans: 3 scans/24hours

Oh! One more final (ha!) thought occured while writing this: how does mygamercard.net or x360a.org collect their information for gamercards you can display in signatures and in the side column? That operates in a similar fashion, you don't think that impacts servers as well? Blaming it all on TA is childish.

The Pants Party
09-19-2010, 07:31 PM
Maybe "illegal" was the wrong word to use, but the fact remains that it is not sanctioned by Microsoft. If anyone thinks x360a wouldn't jump at an opportunity to offer our users automatic achievement checklist population, they're crazy. We've contacted Microsoft on a monthly basis (probably even more frequent than that, to be honest) asking for permission and have been denied every time. That TA just does it without asking and uses the "well, we didn't get in trouble so it must be ok!" excuse is a joke. That's like saying murder is fine if no one says anything. Still wrong, buddy.

Regardless, this debate wasn't the point of this thread and frankly isn't even an issue we really care to discuss (admittedly, my fault - shouldn't have brought it up in the first place). They can do what they do (and like I said before, I do enjoy the feature and use their site for the TA ratios), and we'll do what we do. If people need information about TA or its downtime, feel free to watch their twitter or the "down for everyone?" website, both of which have been linked multiple times in the posts above. Our website is not the place to discuss or debate theirs.