PDA

View Full Version : if i were to visit a friend and buy dlc on his console

MissusCT
07-20-2010, 03:26 PM
would that then be his or will it be mine when i transfer my tag back?

Sidereal
07-20-2010, 03:32 PM
If you don't buy it on your own console, you'll only be allowed to play it while connected to Xbox Live unless you have your licenses transferred (which can only be done once a year).

RadiantViper
07-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Licenses for downloadable content are tied to both your gamertag and the console you downloaded them on. If you download an item on another console, after recovering you'll only be able to use the content if you're signed into Xbox Live. Offline, you won't be able to use the content.

Always download content with your tag/console to avoid this problem.

Fullbrook
07-20-2010, 03:36 PM
Like the others have said you can play it signed in on live.

Isn't this what some people do to "split" the cost of dlc though. Wish I had friends with xbox sometimes.

MissusCT
07-20-2010, 04:25 PM
this is really confusing lol

ok so i cant just buy it using my tag on a friends console to play a few games then take it home with me. it will be on his console forever and i can only acess it when signed online?

what about him will he still be able to play it? if so that could be kind of neat because we own several of te same games and would make spending a fortune on points a bit better.

is any of this against the rules? i dont want to get in trouble
---

is it possible for me to redownload already purchased content on his console so i can play with him with my content and not risk any of this hassle. like i buy it on my console and take it round his and play a few games. i take it he wouldnt be able to play it then once i have my tag back

i miss the days when you could just take disks around friends houses and play full games on their machines

Bofur26
07-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Use the same profile you used to purchase the content

To use downloaded content on a different console, sign in to Xbox LIVE with the profile you used to purchase the content. Here's how:

Connect the storage device that contains the content to the console.
Sign in using the profile used to purchase the content on Xbox LIVE.
Access the content.
If your friend wants to use it on his profile Log out of yours, then log on his.
Then start playing from his profile.

DigitalTru7h
07-20-2010, 05:54 PM
It will be on his console but he won't be able to play it unless you're signed online in his console. When you transfer back your gamertag it won't be on your hard drive/console. You will have to re-download it but yes you can still play it.

BemusedBox
07-20-2010, 05:58 PM
If you don't buy it on your own console, you'll only be allowed to play it while connected to Xbox Live unless you have your licenses transferred (which can only be done once a year).

You can do more than 1 a year but you would need to contact microsoft and explain why you want to do it.

RadiantViper
07-20-2010, 06:21 PM
this is really confusing lol

ok so i cant just buy it using my tag on a friends console to play a few games then take it home with me. it will be on his console forever and i can only acess it when signed online?

what about him will he still be able to play it? if so that could be kind of neat because we own several of te same games and would make spending a fortune on points a bit better.

is any of this against the rules? i dont want to get in trouble
---

is it possible for me to redownload already purchased content on his console so i can play with him with my content and not risk any of this hassle. like i buy it on my console and take it round his and play a few games. i take it he wouldnt be able to play it then once i have my tag back

i miss the days when you could just take disks around friends houses and play full games on their machines

Like I said, the license is tied to both the gamertag used to download the content and the console where the content was originally downloaded onto.

If you download it on a friends 360 with your gamertag, then you recover your gamertag back onto your 360, and finally download the content on your 360, you will only be able to play it while signed into Xbox Live. Your friend won't be able to use it because the license is associated with your gamertag.

I haven't tried the idea you mentioned, but I assume it would work.