PDA

View Full Version : Eminem; Relapse or Recovery

Delboy06eu
07-20-2010, 04:16 PM
I'm sure it's a question you have heard a thousand times but what do all the gamers reckon of eminems new album to the darker 2009 Relapse?

I actually purchased both albums nearly at the same time. And after plenty of listens RELAPSE is my winner.

When comparing the two obvious differences appear. Recovery has no skits, plus plenty of guest artists to sing the hooks. Relapse has Dre beats throughout, more anger, and seems to more a of a darker themed album, with eminem getting into the psyche of serial killers, and family problems.
Recovery seems to have the feel of an R'N'B album, whilst Relapse remains a Rap album. Both albums are great lyrically, just different subject materials.

I CAN'T BELIEVE EMINEM APOLOGISED FOR RELAPSE!!

Why would you want to apologise for such hits as;
3am
My mom
Stay wide awake
Medicine Ball
bagpipes from baghdad
Hello
same song and dance

Your thoughts!!??

Shockwave
07-20-2010, 04:18 PM
I like both, however I can't seem to stop listening to recovery lol

Delboy06eu
07-20-2010, 04:31 PM
I like both, however I can't seem to stop listening to recovery lol

Almost Famous + the Rhiannna tune are awesome. Do you think he may of overdone the usage of guest artists?

Mister Buds
07-20-2010, 04:40 PM
i thought both of them sucked to be honest. was really hoping they'd be good too because the freestyles he released before each were amazing. the relapse bonus cd is better than the actual album and recovery is just garbage beats and garbage guest appearances. em doesn't even make the cut for top five white rappers anymore.

A Satyr
07-20-2010, 04:46 PM
Almost Famous + the Rhiannna tune are awesome. Do you think he may of overdone the usage of guest artists? I like the songs with Rihanna and Kobe, but i hate the song with Lil wayne (maybe because its more like wayne ft Eminem...) The one with Pink i dont listen to but it aint bad. Out of the whole cd i dont listen to Wont back down, No love, You're never over, and most of the time i skip Cold wind and Talkin to myself to get to On fire.

Starstrukk X360A
07-20-2010, 07:10 PM
I like the songs with Rihanna and Kobe, but i hate the song with Lil wayne (maybe because its more like wayne ft Eminem...)

Oh my god I thought I was the only one.

Honestly, if Eminem opened up the track on the first verse it'd feel right, but it started off with Wayne.

And ughhh, I hate Lil' Wayne.

There were too many guest acts too; I mean, other then D12, all his older albums never had anyone else on it.

iBlessing 09
07-20-2010, 07:19 PM
I like Recovery better but that's probably because I've just fixed me iPod Touch and that's the only album I've got on there at the moment. Both of them are good but I know more of the lyrics to the songs from Recovery so I'd have to go for that album.

Daiphyer.
07-20-2010, 07:19 PM
None are as good as his previous works. He lost it after Eminem Show. :(

Tussell
07-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Recovery is much better than Relapse.

I'm not going to lie, I think that Relapse is definitely Eminem's weakest album. It was an album full of just filler songs for the most part.

The 9th curve
07-20-2010, 10:17 PM
Recovery was way better than Relapse

laundryman
07-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Recovery and it's not really that close

JrdRIOT
07-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Relapse - Stupid shitty accents
Recovery - Brilliant.

Starstrukk X360A
07-21-2010, 12:10 AM
Relapse - Stupid shitty accents
Recovery - Brilliant.

When I first heard 3 a.m. I hated it because of the accent he did in it.

I somehow grew to like it, though.

But yeah, the accents in the album were really irritating.

ac2565
07-21-2010, 01:44 AM
Since we're comparing...

In order from the best to worst album:

The Slim Shady LP
The Marshall Mathers LP
The Eminem Show
Recovery
Relapse
Encore

Delboy06eu
07-21-2010, 07:26 AM
When I first heard 3 a.m. I hated it because of the accent he did in it.

I somehow grew to like it, though.

But yeah, the accents in the album were really irritating.

His accents on the album were to reflect the serial killer characters he was portraying. I only really noticed it on Hello, Same song and dance and Stay wide awake but they were all good tracks imo.
Recovery sounds like a pop album! The production on relapse sounded more like an eminem rap album.

Deyankees1
07-21-2010, 08:07 AM
Since we're comparing...

In order from the best to worst album:

The Slim Shady LP
The Marshall Mathers LP
The Eminem Show
Recovery
Relapse
Encore

The Marshall Mathers LP
The Slim Shady LP
Recovery
The Eminem Show
Encore
Relapse

My take on it, I love Recovery but to me MM Lp is his best album and a top 5 all time for me. Also F up Relapse! I just cant get into it no matter how hard I try.

HLR zdmetal
07-23-2010, 11:05 PM
I just got Recovery today and I hate it. Relapse > Recovery

YourBoyAl
07-24-2010, 11:25 AM
Recovery was fucking terrible

i wasn't even that big on Relapse but it wasn't half as bad as Recovery

ThaFireman
07-25-2010, 08:55 AM
While I like Relapse, it's nowhere near the brilliance of of SSLP, MMLP, TES or most importantly Recovery.

Recovery sounds like a pop album! The production on relapse sounded more like an eminem rap album.
You are aware 'Relapse' has 'We Made You' and 'Crack A Bottle', right? Recovery is the least commercial of all of his albums. The songs with the features are not radio songs and none of the songs on it are radio songs, per say. I have no idea why they play 'Love The Way You Lie' on the radio with lines such as 'And if she tries to leave again/I'mma tie her to the bed and set this house on fire' and the fact that the song is about domestic abuse. 'No Love' is about all the "fans", mostly radio fans, that didn't stick by him when he was going through bad times with Encore/Relapse and want to jump back on the bandwagon when he released the monster, 'Recovery'.

ZackNovak
07-28-2010, 07:35 AM
I'm still unsure on my take on Recovery, I wanna like it but, ehhh. Slim Shady LP over them all.

DocRevolt
07-29-2010, 01:58 AM
I can't make up my mind, I really dislike both. Eminem Show and Marshall Mathers LP were both great, as was the Slim Shady LP, but honestly, I can't stand the production on either. I guess I'd have to say Relapse, just because not a single song off of Recovery sounds like the Eminem I enjoy. I trashed that album after a couple of listens.

institutions
07-29-2010, 02:08 AM
I'd rate his albums best to worst as:
The Marshall Mathers LP
The Eminem Show
The Slim Shady LP
Recovery
Encore
Relapse (with Refill)

I didn't like a single song on Relapse, but I like a few on Recovery. Really only Cold Wind Blows, Talkin 2 Myself, On Fire, and it was either WTP or Going Through Changes that I also liked.

The two LPs and Eminem Show were what made me love Eminem. Just him, D12, Obie Trice, and a few others. Then he started bringing in more and more lame guests.
I even bought D12's album D12 World...

Raiden 00101
08-04-2010, 02:04 AM
i like recovery

Sniper Riflez
08-04-2010, 08:07 AM
Recovery is better imo, but Relapse had it's gems like Beautiful.

HAK Devil
08-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Recovery is far better imo. Eminem had a shocker with relapse and some of those tracks were absolute trash. None of this stuff is anywhere close to the Marshall Mathers LP though.

RAIDERJUNKIE
08-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Recovery is way better than Relapse in my opinion. Although I do hate "No Love" with Lil Wayne, but mostly because I find him completely annoying, and also the fact that the first half of the song is just him. Almost Famous is my favorite, I can listen to that all day

CraiGalley
08-04-2010, 05:02 PM
I hated Relapse, it was just pure junk.

But Recovery is pretty good...Love the ones with Rihanna and Kobe (though I'm not fans of them)...and Space Bound is clearly the best song on it.

Though I may be baised, since I play the guitar ;p

muzykalscorpio
08-05-2010, 05:57 AM
Recovery.

Not that I dislike or look down on Relapse, I enjoy it enough - but it's got a lot of accent stuff, skits take away from it, small stuff like that. Now I'm not a huge fan of Eminem, but I remember hearing earlier work and songs and it struck me back to those a little ; tiny progression, but familiar to being my comedic rapper with humorous lines.

After I heard Recovery, I felt he'd moved forward.

v_thorne
08-05-2010, 09:42 AM
The thing I think that is hilarious, is that when Eminem "fans" post their favorite albums in order, seems most of them never include:

Infinite
Slim Shady EP

I, by far, liked Infinite.

However, seeing as I never listened to anything past The Marshall Mathers LP I couldn't make an accurate listing. But, I personally think it was all down hill from there.

BemusedBox
08-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Recovery is alot better than Relapse but non of it matchs up to his early work.

ThaFireman
08-06-2010, 07:30 AM
However, seeing as I never listened to anything past The Marshall Mathers LP I couldn't make an accurate listing. But, I personally think it was all down hill from there.
Yeah, you should totally never listen to The Eminem Show, it's not a classic or anything.

Davey Zoo
08-07-2010, 04:31 PM
Both are good, Relapse is slightly better.

SoleAssassin
08-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Overall I'll take Recovery. Lyrics and beats beat Relapse's.

If it was just about beats, Relapse would win. Dre >>>

KFZ Scrubs
08-07-2010, 08:23 PM
I like recovery a lot better.... i can' stop listening it and i love every single track on there.

StW
08-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Recovery....he even thinks so :p

YourBoyAl
08-08-2010, 03:59 PM
of course he does

wouldn't make sense for him to down talk an album he's trying to promote

DStyles
08-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Recovery was by miles better than Relapse.

And to those who say that Recover is pop...go fuck yourselfs. Eminem has been pop since the start.

XBLsFinest
08-10-2010, 10:19 PM
I like them both it's all Eminem what's not to like? From recovery though:
Spacebound and Almost Famous are definitely two of my favourites, I may be the only one whole likes the backing singers but I think it just slows it down a bit, it's a nice touch in my opinion. Also not from either of his albums, Airplanes Part II with B.O.B. and Haley that's quality, same style with the back singers etc. if you think about it.

Magic Coletrain
08-11-2010, 12:50 AM
i'll quote Eminem with my reply to which album i prefer

"F*ck my last CD the sh*ts in my trash"

sooo yeah Recovery is so much better even Em himself thinks so lol

BenetGN
08-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Recovery was much much better, it's more like his old stuff, which i preferred.

Daiphyer.
08-11-2010, 01:57 PM
The thing I think that is hilarious, is that when Eminem "fans" post their favorite albums in order, seems most of them never include:

Infinite
Slim Shady EP

I, by far, liked Infinite.

Those two albums were before Em got involved with Dre, that's why many people don't know about them.

.MaTTHeW
08-14-2010, 12:36 AM
I personally say Eminems - Recovery is not very dark. Compared too earlier work, this isn't that bad.

Relapse was defently a dark time in his life, and he expressed it lyrically which I have to give him props. for, and he even admitted because of his drug addiction he'd feel like steeling drugs, or going on killing spree's. It takes a true man too admit how he felt, and you could even feel it. Tell me if you listen too 3am if you feel even a little bit darker, than you did before.

The song Not Afraid even says he was leaving drugs, and all that behind. He says this:
So starting today, I'm breaking out of this cage for awhile, I'm standing up, Imma face my demons, manning up, and I won't back down, tryna get my life back together right now...

And if you watch the video he leaves the cellar he was in before, which is what had the strong hold. After he leave's the cellar the closest he gets too cursing is, "I can give little too the middle finger". And that's not remotely close! You can just tell something changed.

Just my thoughts, I will check back here continually too see other peoples.

ThaFireman
08-14-2010, 05:20 AM
I personally say Eminems - Recovery is not very dark. Compared too earlier work, this isn't that bad.

Relapse was defently a dark time in his life, and he expressed it lyrically which I have to give him props. for, and he even admitted because of his drug addiction he'd feel like steeling drugs, or going on killing spree's. It takes a true man too admit how he felt, and you could even feel it. Tell me if you listen too 3am if you feel even a little bit darker, than you did before.

The song Not Afraid even says he was leaving drugs, and all that behind. He says this:

And if you watch the video he leaves the cellar he was in before, which is what had the strong hold. After he leave's the cellar the closest he gets too cursing is, "I can give little too the middle finger". And that's not remotely close! You can just tell something changed.

Just my thoughts, I will check back here continually too see other peoples.
I have no idea what you are talking about. You are talking about Recovery not being dark when no one even said it was dark then you go stating the obvious that 'Not Afraid' is about making a change. No offense, but do you have a point? And saying that 'Relapse' lyrically expresses a dark time in his life is pretty redundant.

.MaTTHeW
08-14-2010, 02:03 PM
@ThaFireman
Yeah, I was up on 24hrs and didn't read the original carefully enough and thought it meant which was darker, because I know a few people who say Recovery is dark as well.

Anyway, though, sorry about fucking up, and I prefer Eminem's new album Recovery over Relapse. I listened too beautiful, and 3am a lot off Relapse and they were it. I've listened to Recovery several times.

HydroBullet
08-15-2010, 08:28 PM
I like Recovery better than Relapse

ginge88isfun
08-26-2010, 07:49 PM
Relapse had to be better than Recovery, Relapse had better tracks on it like Medicine Balls and Deja Vu.

ThaFireman
08-27-2010, 04:33 AM
Those two albums were before Em got involved with Dre, that's why many people don't know about them.
And it's not really important to the other albums as Infinite was Eminem pretty much stealing Nas' flow and style and didn't have his amazing storytellings he is known for and SSEP was pretty good with 'Low, Down Dirty' and 'Murder Murder' but those two don't belong when you are comparing all his other albums. You ever heard his 1992-1994 raps? Oh boy, cheeeesy.

tomDG111
09-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Recovery hands down :D