PDA

View Full Version : Kinect Price announced

k2345
07-20-2010, 04:45 PM
Kinect is coming to a living room near you later this year! Want to know how much it will cost? We’ve got all the details right here…

Console + Kinect + Kinect Adventures = £249.99

Get all of your controller-free entertainment in one complete package. This includes the all-new Xbox 360 4GB console, the revolutionary Kinect sensor and the Kinect Adventures game. In Kinect Adventures, you’ll get to navigate roaring rapids and mountain-top obstacle courses, and experience numerous other adventures in exotic locations.

Kinect + Kinect Adventures = £129.99

Already got an Xbox 360? This is the package for you! Kinect will work with all versions of Xbox 360, not just the recently released Xbox 360. http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs101.ash2/38380_407075336343_13905281343_4709630_2123318_n.j pg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4709630&op=1&view=all&subj=10150230650440307&aid=-1&auser=0&oid=10150230650440307&id=13905281343)

Kinect games and more…

More than 15 games are set to be available at launch. Kinect games, including Kinectimals, Kinect Sports and Kinect Joy Ride, will retail for £39.99

And don’t forget, Kinect will also change the way you experience entertainment by putting your favourite movies, TV programmes and music all in one place and letting you control them with a wave of your hand.

Pre-order now!
Starting today, select retailers are taking pre-orders for the Xbox 360 Kinect Console Bundle at £249.99 and the Kinect for Xbox at £129.99.

More information about Kinect for Xbox 360 can be found at http://www.xbox.com/kinect (http://www.xbox.com/kinect).

Sidereal
07-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Nice bundles.The US price is $149.99 for the Kinect bundle, and $299.99 for the 360S 4GB bundle.

I'm more interested in what their other bundles will be, hopefully will be a $399.99 360S 250GB bundle.

HAiiRyJellyBean
07-20-2010, 04:59 PM
What a rip off and the games are £40 pfft.

DarkCreations
07-20-2010, 05:04 PM
I'm glad you do get atleast 1 game with the Kinect package, and Kinect adventures isn't that bad tbh.

£125 for just Kinect was a bit of a rip but now i'm not so horrified at the fact it'll be £80 for just the sensor and then £40 for the game, which is there abouts the same price as PS Move and "Nun-chuck, but Kinect can serve for up to 4 people.

JB x360a
07-20-2010, 05:06 PM
Wow, Just ouch thats lots of money, they said originally that they where trying to do this for like £59.99p.
I think i will pass on this thanks.

Bofur26
07-20-2010, 05:08 PM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2010/07/microsoft-kinect-pricing-and-release.html

Here is from the LOS Angles Times about the Americain Priceing.. 4gb???? for the Console and Kinect....

Sidereal
07-20-2010, 05:19 PM
The 4GB is for the Arcade. Just like the previous Arcades only had 256MB via memory card.

There are other bundles, this isn't the only one.

Kaiyo
07-20-2010, 05:21 PM
The new xbox 360 arcade version has to have less space than the more expensive 250GB.

BemusedBox
07-20-2010, 05:55 PM
Its a bit pricey may wait for it to drop or see what type of bundels are out at launch.I think microsoft have made this too much but only time will tell.

StolenPaper18
07-20-2010, 05:58 PM
I won't be picking it up until I hear about better games being released for it or a price drop.

CodSteaks
07-20-2010, 06:05 PM
$150 is going to be a hard sell on my wife unless they come out with something that really blows her mind.

"I'm somebody's bitch!"

Muhnamana
07-20-2010, 06:10 PM
$150 is going to be a hard sell on my wife unless they come out with something that really blows her mind.

"I'm somebody's bitch!"

Could be a tough sell with my wife as well. I think its overpriced though.

crazy W01f 816
07-20-2010, 06:24 PM
Why would anyone get this when you can get the Wii for only $50 more? Plus, the Wii has a ton of better 1st party stuff.

I was really hoping the $150 price tag was just a rumor, but now I'm definitely not interested. Of course what I think doesn't matter; it's all about the casual gamer.

Coxy x360a
07-20-2010, 06:26 PM
The two together is cheap considering it would normally be £190 + £130. ( which equals £320 )

Sidereal
07-20-2010, 06:30 PM
Why would anyone get this when you can get the Wii for only $50 more? Plus, the Wii has a ton of better 1st party stuff.

I was really hoping the $150 price tag was just a rumor, but now I'm definitely not interested. Of course what I think doesn't matter; it's all about the casual gamer.

Because Kinect isn't a Wii. I'm getting Kinect as soon as it comes out, and would do so even if I didn't have a Wii already.

The Wii has also been out longer, so it's had more time to build a library. Kinect hasn't even launched yet, so obviously there's not going to be that many games for it yet.

Personally, I think it's worth $150 easily so I'll have no problem paying the price when it launches.

crazy W01f 816
07-20-2010, 06:37 PM
Because Kinect isn't a Wii. I'm getting Kinect as soon as it comes out, and would do so even if I didn't have a Wii already.

The Wii has also been out longer, so it's had more time to build a library. Kinect hasn't even launched yet, so obviously there's not going to be that many games for it yet.

Personally, I think it's worth $150 easily so I'll have no problem paying the price when it launches.
Yeah, but honestly I've seen nothing out of Kinect that I couldn't get on the Wii.
Therefore I still have yet to find one good, solid reason to get it.

Sidereal
07-20-2010, 06:46 PM
I don't remember the Wii having voice activated controls or full body recognition. I also don't remember it having automatic tracking. And I definitely don't remember it letting you play without holding a remote.

May not be a "solid" reason to buy one, but they're still not the same thing.

I'm getting one because it looks like fun, that's the only reason I need.

Starstrukk X360A
07-20-2010, 06:48 PM
I want it.
I know a majority of people here don't, but I want it.
I'm flat broke though so it'll be a while.

SetoChaos
07-20-2010, 06:56 PM

Although Kinect isn't a Wii the game experiences to seem very similar to the Eye Toy. So far, with the titles announced I see nothing which isn't similar to an experience already had. Well, other than voice control, but that isn't a game and I doubt that it will get implemented fully into a game. This especially when the best voice recognition software out there cannot even track your normal voice fully when you talk normally yet.

crazy W01f 816
07-20-2010, 07:02 PM
I don't remember the Wii having voice activated controls or full body recognition. I also don't remember it having automatic tracking. And I definitely don't remember it letting you play without holding a remote.

May not be a "solid" reason to buy one, but they're still not the same thing.

I'm getting one because it looks like fun, that's the only reason I need.

So what? I have yet to see any of that actually implemented in any good way. All I've seen is casual shovelware and I can get that on the Wii if I wanted to.

k2345
07-20-2010, 07:21 PM
*pulls out fire extinguisher ready for flame war* lol

Sidereal
07-20-2010, 07:29 PM
Yeah, but honestly I've seen nothing out of Kinect that I couldn't get on the Wii.
Therefore I still have yet to find one good, solid reason to get it.
So what? I have yet to see any of that actually implemented in any good way. All I've seen is casual shovelware and I can get that on the Wii if I wanted to.

I'm just pointing out that there are things Kinect can do that the Wii can't, since you seemed to believe that they were the exact same thing and did the exact same things with no variations.

I don't care whether or not you want to buy one, if you don't then don't. But to say that Kinect is the same as the Wii is just stupid.

crazy W01f 816
07-20-2010, 07:32 PM
But to say that Kinect is the same as the Wii is just stupid.
I never did.

MH Zeppelin
07-20-2010, 07:39 PM
Thats too much for the games they have now for it.

SubG3nius
07-20-2010, 07:39 PM
I'm not sure I want it yet, don't know if Kinect is anything for me, maybe I'll get it anyways, it's pretty pricey but not too much, it's enough so for me to maybe get it or not, will see in the future.

Sidereal
07-20-2010, 07:46 PM
I never did.

And I never said you did, either.

OhStressyJessy
07-20-2010, 08:00 PM
Regarding the prices/bundles listed here, not bad deals. Yes, pricey... but what new technology isn't these days? I'm still in super girly mode about Kinectimals but I think I might wait until the game library is beefed up a bit before making the investment.

I'm also excited to see hands-on reviews from professional gaming sites and from the folks here!

wariowarrior
07-20-2010, 08:20 PM
Even at that price Microsoft will lose money on the actual Kinect kit. That's why the games are still a premium price. I was always going to get Kinect Adventures so the bundle is perfect for me.

KeepEmRolling
07-20-2010, 08:58 PM
The pricing is actually better than I expected. I'm not a fan of Kinect, but I'm leaning more towards getting one than I was. The dashboard manipulation is cool, so once they get some better games out than what's been announced, I'll pick one up.

I'll also be interested to read some hands-on reviews from people on the site here.

Kramericus
07-20-2010, 09:48 PM
Microsoft is risking pricing itself out of the market here and losing the game early. Yes Kinect is like four controllers in one, but when your average consumer walks up and sees an entire Wii system or the playstation move for cheaper, chances are your casual buyer (who is the target buyer here) will go for the cheaper product I think, especially since while Kinect offers a unique way of experiencing the games, it isnt launching with anything that is going to create a buzz since a lot of it is Wii knockoffs. But we shall see.

Flik Nightshade
07-20-2010, 10:08 PM
It's totally not worth that price right now. Maybe down the road if we see a drop or something, but as it is now? I'll pass.

MATH3W MAGNUM77
07-20-2010, 10:19 PM
i honestly dont see the appeal.. i mean.
i want to sit back and play from my bed.
if i wanted a console that made me dance like an idiot in front of the tv id've got the wii..
once sony upps the game there is not gonna be a single rich kid outside in the sun..

dan aw loe
07-21-2010, 02:03 AM
I am also a little suprised by the pricing. I'm definetly intruged on how this thing is going to work as well as how well it works. I don' think I'm getting this right away because I think this thing brings us one step closer to somesort of AI takeover!

TUSCANreborn
07-21-2010, 06:44 PM
I got dragged out shopping today with the misses and the mother-in-law, whilst they were girly shopping I popped into GAME to have a look what was on sale. (I honestly can't see how they're still in business) They obviously had all the point of sale for Kinect in your face as soon as you walked in. (On a side note and I found it absolutely weird there wasn't one piece of MOVE point of sale in the shop at all, only a photo copied sheet of the price and release date on their little white board). Back on topic, I was mooching around the store for about 15 minutes and in that time they must have taken more than 10 pre-orders for the Kinect. Two of these were potential Wii buyers and my hat off to the shop assistants were sold the Kinect hype magically.

I honestly couldn't say that any of these people came across as "hardcore" gamers, but really is that what MS is aiming for with the release of the Kinect? Nope they're after a bit of the Nintendo action, the casual market. I think thats why all the release titles are casual orientated, so MS can try and tap into that market. Lets face it you're only in business to make money.

I have to say I'm baffled by all the negative comments people have made about Kinect in general. Is it because you didn't get enough love at E3, is it because MS are trying something new or making stupid comments about something that really doesn't effect you makes your day? If you had no intention of buying it then why moan about it, if you think it'll fail then wait until then and get the "I told you so" or if you're a little miffed that there isn't a release game that is aimed at you then wait until there is.

At £130 and a lack of AAA titles I don't see many "hardcore" gamers buying it straight away, but the people they're aiming for will. I've a family, I have all three consoles and I've done the math, Kinect works out cheapest. So yeah eventually I'll buy one, but I also know I can look forward too some cracking games that I'll not have to wave my arms around like a monkey for. Time will tell on this one, if it works we could be seeing some interesting games coming and if not then I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Majica8
07-21-2010, 07:19 PM
Yet another company who hasn't heard of the exchange rate.....since when does $149.99 = £129.99?? (It's actually £98.95)

Not that I want it anyway, especially not for that stupid price, but it annoys me when companies think $1 = £1 (or near enough)

Sarubi
07-21-2010, 07:23 PM
I think the price for Kinect is very good not too high and not to low ^^
Just double game price (:

YoungWarrior111
07-21-2010, 11:20 PM
Yet another company who hasn't heard of the exchange rate.....since when does $149.99 = £129.99?? (It's actually £98.95)

Not that I want it anyway, especially not for that stupid price, but it annoys me when companies think $1 = £1 (or near enough)

It's typical we get the raw end of the deal (I think iTunes has only recently ironed out the difference in prices for tracks, though iPads, new iPhones, Macs are still some way out if I remember correctly).

Fair enough, a small discrepancy in price can be expected, if they manufacture them in the States or whatever but not over £30. If Microsoft wants to shift a lot of Kinects coming up to Christmas, the pricing isn't too bad in the US, matching it here could give it big leverage over the Wii.

I'm also very cheesed off that JoyRide is now a Kinect title, after all Microsofts billing as a free online game, it's probably now going to £40 as a full Kinetic title. I was looking forward to it, seemed good fun when it was free lol

Xylon Uxkid
07-21-2010, 11:23 PM
I was waiting for something better like a bundle with a the 250 GB Xbox, so now I'll have to spend 450 dollars on the Xbox and Kinect...*sigh*

cortanamasterchief
07-22-2010, 02:26 AM
Ok so i'm not much of a complainer cause honestly i don't really read the forums very often but this goes out to all the bitchers complaining about the price of Kinect. If you are a gamer a real gamer and you have been playing video games as long as i have then why the hell are you complaining about something that can put you in the game. Look at the Dreamcast when it first came out. Didn't they go for like $250. Look at the PS2 they went for $299. All these systems are no where near as sophisticated as this and you want to complain about $149. I will agree microsoft doesn't need the money they should give these away along with all game content but it takes alot more money to produce these games then it did 10 15 years ago.:uzi::uzi::uzi::uzi::uzi::uzi::uzi::uzi::uzi:: uzi::uzi::uzi:

dougtaylor625
07-22-2010, 02:34 AM
So your options are a 250GB HDD and the new console

OR....

a 4GB HDD, the new console, and Kinect with 1 game

The main question here is will the 4GB hold you over?

Is there removable HDD's like on the older models that have various sizes? (20GB, 60GB, 120GB, 250GB)?

YoungWarrior111
07-22-2010, 09:30 AM
If you are a gamer a real gamer and you have been playing video games as long as i have then why the hell are you complaining about something that can put you in the game. Look at the Dreamcast when it first came out. Didn't they go for like $250. Look at the PS2 they went for $299. All these systems are no where near as sophisticated as this and you want to complain about $149. I will agree microsoft doesn't need the money they should give these away along with all game content but it takes alot more money to produce these games then it did 10 15 years ago.

I agree with what you are saying, but those are full fledged gaming systems. We have already paid 100s of £/$ to buy an Xbox, and it will be another £130 for this add on. Yes it does seem like a pretty good add on, but will the game content be there? ie will there be a small range of Kinect only games, or will major developers be able to incoporate it into their titles, such as Tiger Woods, Star Was: the Force Unleashed 2, Madden, the sort of titles you could imagine being Kinect controlled.

Is there removable HDD's like on the older models that have various sizes? (20GB, 60GB, 120GB, 250GB)?

From what I've the Hard Drive is removable and interchangeable, but not just as easily as what we have now. It doesn't clip out like previously, you need to take out a few screws possibly.

TheMavEffect
07-22-2010, 09:37 AM
Thats BS, for a hardware add on.
At least I didn't want to buy anyway, and only if it affects Xbox in a great deal, will I think about buying it.
I have a Wii, so it's no new experience.

Toshioa
07-22-2010, 10:09 AM
VERY overpriced for what it is and considering Sony are releasing their motion control, all be it no where near as advanced, for around the £40-50 mark!

I've just 'upgraded' to the Slim and I'm not sure if there are various sizes, but it comes with a 250GB hdd that is fully detachable but require opening the top panel and pulling on a strap to release it. From what I can tell of the HDD unit (yes I removed it out of curiosity ^^) it is an ESata HDD in a small enclosure. As I said above, not sure if their doing various options and sizes; as it stands it comes with a 250gb hdd for £199.99 (£219.99 with a game).

Hope this helps :)

Galluzi
07-22-2010, 03:53 PM
It's too expensive for a hardware update for me tbh, I'll think I'll wait when it's about a year old or maybe even wait for the next generation xbox. If u add a little bit of money u got a Wii for the same money.

Io Haze oI
07-22-2010, 04:01 PM
Dissapointed overall with the pricing of the kinect especially with the ridiculous conersion rate a £10 - £15 dsicrepency is alrigt but £30 is kind of pushing the boat, and the full retail price for some of the games at launch is really odd, since most of what these games hasn't been told yet. £100 would have been my selling point but since I'm going to university this September I don't think I would have the space avaible to play it.

static442
07-22-2010, 05:16 PM
I can't really such the use of kinnect i got a wii when it was new and that was a mistake i don't want to repeat with kinnect or move, they both seem like a huge waste of money, I'd be willing to get it for about £80 with the game but £130 is too much

page89
07-22-2010, 05:30 PM
I doubt i'll pick kinect up without a price drop