PDA

View Full Version : Do You Buy Games With Multiplayer Achievements?

shudderWINGS
07-21-2010, 12:57 AM
It's a toughie, for sure.

I know for a fact that if I spot a game that looks particularly interesting, I always do my due diligence in terms of research for the game -- not simply the reviews, but the achievements as well.

With that said, a major turnoff (in most cases) is Multiplayer achievements. And my desire to purchase a used game of ANY type takes a major hit when I discover that there are Multiplayer achievements as well.

I'll explain:

I rented Ghostbusters approximately 1-2 months after its release date last year at some point. There were several achievements (that I now can't remember) that required playing Multiplayer. No big deal -- except nobody was playing Multiplayer so it was near impossible to get them.

Similar issues occurred when attempting to play the original Call of Juarez for me. I'd sign on to capture some Multiplayer achievements, only there'd be one or two other people in the session with me when I'd log in. It was particularly annoying when one of the achievements (if I remember correctly) entailed playing a ranked match and killing four to five people at once with dynamite. That was kind of difficult considering hardly anybody was playing the same match as me.

My question is this: do Multiplayer achievements turn you off from buying a game? Or is it vice versa?

tommyleech1
07-21-2010, 01:02 AM
They wouldn't stop me buying a game but they do annoy me.

Kramericus
07-21-2010, 01:08 AM
Sometimes it decreases my chances of taking a chance on a game if a very large portion of the achievements are online, but if its a game series like Halo or a Rockstar game that I have a history of liking I really dont care nearly enough to not buy a game. Definitely not a big fan of multiplayer achievements though.

RadiantViper
07-21-2010, 01:12 AM
It wouldn't put me off a game that I really wanted, but overall I just don't like multiplayer achievements very much. Especially when they take an ridiculous amount of playtime, or are incredibly unlikely to happen in normal gameplay. And yet I still plugged away and got the 1000 in Bad Company 1, which has both those things ... hmm.

But overall, I try to avoid multiplayer games. I have a fairly meh connection, so I prefer single player games.

vans
07-21-2010, 01:20 AM
I'd have to say it won't turn me away completely unless it's a game i wasn't really sure about in the first place, in that case to many mp cheeves may make me skip it

FuzyWuzyDuck23
07-21-2010, 01:55 AM
If the game looks really good, then I don't mind, especially if I get the game around the time it releases, since there will most likely be enough people to get. I hate though, when i buy games that are 1-2 years old that have online achievements, since no one is on, making them nearly impossible to get without boosting

Rebel River
07-21-2010, 01:57 AM
i personally like to have a good reason to play multiplayer, having online achievments is a want, but not a must.

Dz06lt
07-21-2010, 02:03 AM
Unfortunately they are unavoidable, although i wish devs would drop the multiplayer cheeves altogether. I will not miss an AAA game just because they are in there

shudderWINGS
07-21-2010, 02:15 AM
If the game looks really good, then I don't mind, especially if I get the game around the time it releases, since there will most likely be enough people to get. I hate though, when i buy games that are 1-2 years old that have online achievements, since no one is on, making them nearly impossible to get without boosting

My dilemma in a nutshell.

PointPlaceWI
07-21-2010, 02:23 AM
Multiplayer achievements can be a pain and I won't buy a game that has closed servers with multiplayer achievements because I'm a pure completionist. If I enjoy a game's multiplayer I will play the game regardless such as BF:BC2.

dougtaylor625
07-21-2010, 02:23 AM
i do but I particularly don't enjoy MP games if there is continuous lag or problems that need to be patched.

DreamersEdge
07-21-2010, 02:29 AM
As many of the other people here here have said, they are a pain. i dont enjoy finding out about MP achievement in the games im sure i could get a full score on. most od the achievements now a days need to you to get high in the leader boards or some dumb thing which may never happen no matter how good you are thanks to boosters and hackers.

crazy W01f 816
07-21-2010, 02:30 AM
Yes I do. Whether a game has multiplayer achievements doesn't matter to me.

DarkReign2021
07-21-2010, 03:24 AM
As much as I like getting achievements, I would never let an achievement list determine the games I play or don't play. Just like I won't buy games for easy achievement points like Avatar, I also won't avoid games just for difficult achievments. My entire deciding factor behind a purchase is whether or not the game will be enjoyable to play or not. Even if the achievements themselves are miserable to attain (like PDZ) as long as I still enjoy the game I will enjoy it and eventually work on finishing the list.)

The only influence achievements have had on my gaming is if it's a game I'm not sure whether I'll like or not, I play them on my test profile first. If i enjoy them, I start over on the main account and let the hunting begin. A lot of games like Halo: Reach are immediate likes and I know I'll be doing it, but there's nothing I hate more than getting a single achievement in a game I hate and being stuck with it on my completion percentage. I have a few games like CoD4 and Lost Planet that I didn't enjoy and only got 1 or 2 achievements in early on and never got any further in the game, so now I make a point of avoiding garbage from getting into my to-do list.

More directly on the topic at hand, I'm not a big fan of multiplayer games. I typically make a point of avoiding games with centric multiplayer focus and that's usually the type of game that has multiplayer-oriented achievements.

EmporerDragon
07-21-2010, 03:53 AM
I find it annoying mainly when the game was not really designed with multiplayer in mind, yet has a large chunk of the achievement points dedicated to it (Saints Row, Dark Sector, Stranglehold, etc.).

Starstrukk X360A
07-21-2010, 03:55 AM
I buy games.

Multiplayer achievements optional.

I don't see how that's tough.

xSlappy
07-21-2010, 04:02 AM
Id say that they annoy me to no end. But ultimately its not stopping me from getting that game

SubG3nius
07-21-2010, 07:50 AM
It's not a toughie at all, anyone who don't buy a game they wanted or are interrested in or whatever because it has online achievements are a tool.

I dont give a rats ass if it got online cheevos or not.

Sgt Scyther
07-21-2010, 08:24 AM
If I want the game? Sure I do. I'm no fan of multiplayer achievements, but I'm not going to NOT get a game I want just because it has them.

KillerBEA
07-21-2010, 08:40 AM
I will play almost any game, exceptions are games with glitched achievements; I hate those, even though I played NBA live 06 knowing the consequences of not being able to get that last achievement. Online achievements in dead games dont bother me as I just need to find a boosting partner or if I cant find one then I load up my 2nd xbox and get 1 month gold account to boost with.

Achievements only turn me off the game if its like FFXI or like an old sports title with its servers shutdown.

JB x360a
07-21-2010, 08:45 AM
They don't put me off games, because if you are that worried about scoring them achievements you will always find someone.

Sniper Riflez
07-21-2010, 09:18 AM
Yes but only if they serve the vast minority of the achievements or the game is good.

Like so many games get ruined by MP achievements, the only games I ever liked online were GTA IV (Free roam.. which had no achievements...), Call of Duty 4 and 5, MW2, Gears of War 1 and 2 and Halo 3.

Every other game it's a tack on which ruins the achievement list, I.E GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption, Brutal Legend, F.E.A.R 2, F.E.A.R and many more.

amusedparrot
07-21-2010, 09:24 AM
If I want the game? Sure I do. I'm no fan of multiplayer achievements, but I'm not going to NOT get a game I want just because it has them.

I agree with this one. I don't buy games I don't like just for the achievements and I wouldn't not buy a game just because of its achievements at the end of the day. I play games to have fun and hopefully the achievements make it even more fun.

I know it is a tough area for some people as they like to play the game how they see fit but I like to see achievements that make my try out different parts of the game that I might not normally try or play the game differently. For me "Test of Faith" was the perfect achievement, made me play Mirrors Edge in a way I wouldn't have if the achievement hadn't been there and really enjoyed the different challenge.

shootmeup
07-21-2010, 09:34 AM
im not bothered either way. if the single player is good and the multiplayer has a decent amount of players on ill try it out. quantum of solace had solid multiplayer which i enjoyed and i got all the cheevos for that even tho initially i wasnt going to bother with miltiplayer.

tugboatman
07-21-2010, 09:52 AM
it depends on the game for me but i dont not buy a game just because its got mp cheeves if i want to play the game then i will get it

agentplatypus
07-21-2010, 10:26 AM
I dislike multiplayer achievements but if I'm interested in a game I'm going to play it no matter what.

Atrum Kardia
07-21-2010, 10:37 AM
I tend to stay away from games with multiplayer achievements. Just because it just really annoying when no one is playing or it involves winning 500 matches and so. Although i do enjoy SOME online achievements.

Damian227
07-21-2010, 10:44 AM
Makes no difference to me, if I want the game I'll get it and enjoy it. I do like to have 1k on my games but sometimes you just have to accept you can't (GRAW etc...) ...so I just enjoy the game for what it is and don't let GS bother me.

master_shake_350
07-21-2010, 11:21 AM
They don't put me off as such, but when I by a game I try steer clear of it unless I really want it.

Stevo_safc
07-21-2010, 11:28 AM
I don't really buy games with achievements in mind, but I'm not really fond of the online ones.

MegaMonkey
07-21-2010, 11:51 AM
I came in here to say pretty much what DarkReign2021 said

l.maciver
07-21-2010, 11:54 AM
They wouldn't stop me buying a game but they do annoy me.

KeepEmRolling
07-21-2010, 12:31 PM
I don't like them at all because most times they're annoying. But, no way would I avoid a game I wanted to play because of them.

Obi-Brown
07-21-2010, 12:36 PM
they are annoying. but if i want to play a game, (ie one that i'm really interested in, not a cheap game to pass time or boost gamerscore) then i'll buy it regardless of multiplayer achievements that i know i won't be able to get

recently bought gears of war2 and like the original or halo3, i know it'll end up being a 400/500 gamerscore blot on my otherwise quite high scoring list of games, due mostly to online achievements (but also cus i'm not brilliant at FPS's)

and maybe oneday when i have the money, i'll subscribe to xbox live gold, and maybe get some of these achievements, but still not too many, cus online gaming is full of wankers

BemusedBox
07-21-2010, 01:29 PM
I play whatever games i want dosent matter about the achievements i will just try to get as many as i can but multiplayer achievements can be a pain.

demonpunk
07-21-2010, 03:12 PM
I'm not a big fan of multiplayer achievements only cuz some games i play are really old and it can be tough to get people to play online still. But it doesn't really stop me from buying a game. If I like it i play it.

MacMac
07-21-2010, 03:33 PM
I buy them, but I usually buy games 1-2 years after they are released. Unless it's got a really popular online multiplayer, I pretty much don't even try to earn those achievements.

DigitalFury
07-21-2010, 03:46 PM
I would have to say that, while not the proverbial straw, achievements are a deciding factor in whether or not I buy a used game. I was curious about the Soldier of Fortune game until I saw the achievement list and saw that a good chunk (Like 40-50%) of the achievements were online related. Not only did the game get bad reviews, but it was like 1 year after release so I knew I wouldn't be able to get them.

Along with the bad reviews the horrible achievement list and the likelyhood that I would be returning it before the week was up, I passed on buying it.

Again, achievements are not the sole reason I will or will not buy a game but they do factor in.

HumanTorch2013
07-21-2010, 05:27 PM
Personally, I wish games had more multiplayer achievements. I like multiplayer more than I do campaigns.

BS411
07-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Achievements of any kind are not a role in what games I buy. If there's a particular game I want and it got good reviews sure i'll look at the achievement list but i'm not going to change my mind if the game has bad achievements. And plus in some older games it's easy to boost achievements with another person so that settles that.

Opiate42
07-21-2010, 05:58 PM
I've reached a point where I just ignore MP modes unless I have friends playing and hop on with them. MP achievements don't make a bit of difference and I view maxing out what I can get in the campaign or co-op Horde-style modes as being my completion.

CyberPunch83
07-21-2010, 06:33 PM
As much as I hate to admit it, MP achievements are still achievements and have to be earned. I always knock out Campaign first, then usually collectibles and/or co-op modes. Then it's on to the locally boostable achievements, then I have to jump into the primitive, curse-flinging world of ranked MP with randoms. Never fun, but a necessary step to fully 100% a game.

Typeonegativ71
07-21-2010, 07:23 PM
I probably would have bought BioShock 2 if it didn't have ranked multiplayer achievements. I grinded through half of the ranks of Wolfenstein so far and have said "never again" to ranked mp. I don't mind other multiplayer achievements so much if it is the kind like "Get 50 kills with X weapon" or "Play a round on all maps" or "Win 5 matches". Achievements designed to get players to sample multiplayer seems better than requiring them to spend 50 or 100 hours playing it especially when the mutliplayer experience in a game is crap. For all of the complaints of MW2 I see on here, I think separating the achievements out from the multiplayer experience was well done on their part.

And for the record, the "Host 10 rounds for each map" in Stranglehold was stupid though since the load times of each level were so ungodly long. And seriously, why not just make it play rather than host? For a game with a dead lobby, that was pointless.

Flamezz
07-21-2010, 07:42 PM
I dont mind some multiplayer achievements, But some can be annoying.

HadMatters13
07-21-2010, 08:28 PM
I can't say I'm a fan of multiplayer achievements; especially the long, drawn out ones which require 100s of hours to obtain, but they wouldn't stop me from buying a game I want to play.

I'm not really fussed whether I get all the multiplayer achievements in a game or not, I just play the multiplayer for fun.

Blah 2k
07-21-2010, 08:29 PM
Yes I buy them, and no I don't like them. They're annoying at best.

Bleeding Star
07-21-2010, 08:54 PM
I buy a game for the game itself, not for the achievements

lordthrash
07-21-2010, 09:00 PM
It's a major turnoff for me. I HATE MULTIPLAYER ACHIEVEMENTS!!! I never buy a game for multiplayer. I only buy games that i think i will enjoy and if they have multiplayer achievements i probably won't be getting them. This sucks for completion but i refuse to miss out on a good game because of these stupid achievements. Note to devs: MULTIPLAYER ACHIEVEMENTS SUCK ASS!!!!!!!!!!

Lord Montymort
07-21-2010, 09:07 PM
Of course, if a game looks good I'll buy/rent it regardless of achievements.

Sizzlebuzz
07-21-2010, 09:34 PM
I usually shy away from games with multiplayer achievements. I love solo play. And also I don't have gold.

discomartin
07-21-2010, 09:43 PM
It wouldn't put me off a game that I was hyped about, but I too have passed on buying an old second hand game partly because of multiplayer achievements.

Generally, I'd be quite happy to have all games have single player achievements only.

R Rated Love
07-21-2010, 10:00 PM
I've never based a game purchase on achievements. That's just ridiculous. If I want a game, I'm going to buy it regardless of how the achievement points are allotted.

tweak4ever
07-21-2010, 10:16 PM
yes, if its a good game

Freefire
07-22-2010, 12:44 AM
I'm with most of you guys. It doesnt stop me from getting a game. For the most part I just dont worry to much about the MP achievements. If I can, great, if not oh well. Gears 1 is a good example. No way am I gonna bother with most of those.

Riddle_Me_This
07-22-2010, 12:55 AM
I'll buy any game I'm really interested in or was looking forward to regardless of its achievements.

But I do hate multiplayer achievements with a passion.

mcnichoj
07-22-2010, 01:05 AM
Depends, I love multiplayer achievements for giving me an incentive to play.
Gears 1 had the best layout, forcing you to try a little bit of everything.

piwo4me
07-22-2010, 01:25 AM
I will by a game with them but I never like them, never. Its usually an ordeal to get the tough ones and to add to that fact don't have friends on my list that will suffer thru them with me and don't have great high speed internet like many of you. But if its a good game or a game I want I don't write it off because of mp achievements.

Slowhunt
07-22-2010, 04:28 AM
I dont mind the mp achievements as long as peolpe are playing the frickin games. Then its fun if there is a healthy community but some games I dont buy until 6 months or a year latter and no ones is playing online.

Boosting is just not the way I want to get them, but its next to impossible to find a group of people who actually want to play the older games and go for the achievements legitimally. I understand why, but doesnt mean it doesnt suck.

Gamerdude5448
07-22-2010, 07:19 AM
This is like asking if I buy donuts with holes in them............ OF COURSE NOT!

Giptuc
07-22-2010, 08:26 AM
No. If i really like the multiplayer, i will work towards getting them, if not ill give it a shot or just leave them.

Achievements will only factor into whether or not i buy a game if it has gotten bad reviews to go with it, or if its a game that isnt really an A list title and i kinda just notice at the shops

JiMPACT
07-22-2010, 04:07 PM
I hate multiplayer achievements, but they won't stop me from buying a good game. (Bioshock 2, Red Dead, etc.)

iTouchy0u
07-22-2010, 04:12 PM
The Multiplayer achievments are a bit of a put off for me but It wont stop me buying a game which i can easily earn campaign achievments. Multiplayer achievments are terrible for games which people will get bored of and eventually stop playing. This means it is harder for newbies to get the Multiplayer achievments.

Muhnamana
07-22-2010, 06:52 PM
I buy any and all kinds of games, regardless of multiplayer achievements or not. BUT, I can't stand multiplayer achievements. Worst kind around.