Do You Buy Games With Multiplayer Achievements?

shudderWINGS

It's a toughie, for sure.

I know for a fact that if I spot a game that looks particularly interesting, I always do my due diligence in terms of research for the game -- not simply the reviews, but the achievements as well.

With that said, a major turnoff (in most cases) is Multiplayer achievements. And my desire to purchase a used game of ANY type takes a major hit when I discover that there are Multiplayer achievements as well.

I'll explain:

I rented Ghostbusters approximately 1-2 months after its release date last year at some point. There were several achievements (that I now can't remember) that required playing Multiplayer. No big deal -- except nobody was playing Multiplayer so it was near impossible to get them.

Similar issues occurred when attempting to play the original Call of Juarez for me. I'd sign on to capture some Multiplayer achievements, only there'd be one or two other people in the session with me when I'd log in. It was particularly annoying when one of the achievements (if I remember correctly) entailed playing a ranked match and killing four to five people at once with dynamite. That was kind of difficult considering hardly anybody was playing the same match as me.

My question is this: do Multiplayer achievements turn you off from buying a game? Or is it vice versa?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes it decreases my chances of taking a chance on a game if a very large portion of the achievements are online, but if its a game series like Halo or a Rockstar game that I have a history of liking I really dont care nearly enough to not buy a game. Definitely not a big fan of multiplayer achievements though.

Edited by Kramericus

It wouldn't put me off a game that I really wanted, but overall I just don't like multiplayer achievements very much. Especially when they take an ridiculous amount of playtime, or are incredibly unlikely to happen in normal gameplay. And yet I still plugged away and got the 1000 in Bad Company 1, which has both those things ... hmm.

But overall, I try to avoid multiplayer games. I have a fairly meh connection, so I prefer single player games.

If the game looks really good, then I don't mind, especially if I get the game around the time it releases, since there will most likely be enough people to get. I hate though, when i buy games that are 1-2 years old that have online achievements, since no one is on, making them nearly impossible to get without boosting

If the game looks really good, then I don't mind, especially if I get the game around the time it releases, since there will most likely be enough people to get. I hate though, when i buy games that are 1-2 years old that have online achievements, since no one is on, making them nearly impossible to get without boosting

My dilemma in a nutshell.

As many of the other people here here have said, they are a pain. i dont enjoy finding out about MP achievement in the games im sure i could get a full score on. most od the achievements now a days need to you to get high in the leader boards or some dumb thing which may never happen no matter how good you are thanks to boosters and hackers.

As much as I like getting achievements, I would never let an achievement list determine the games I play or don't play. Just like I won't buy games for easy achievement points like Avatar, I also won't avoid games just for difficult achievments. My entire deciding factor behind a purchase is whether or not the game will be enjoyable to play or not. Even if the achievements themselves are miserable to attain (like PDZ) as long as I still enjoy the game I will enjoy it and eventually work on finishing the list.)

The only influence achievements have had on my gaming is if it's a game I'm not sure whether I'll like or not, I play them on my test profile first. If i enjoy them, I start over on the main account and let the hunting begin. A lot of games like Halo: Reach are immediate likes and I know I'll be doing it, but there's nothing I hate more than getting a single achievement in a game I hate and being stuck with it on my completion percentage. I have a few games like CoD4 and Lost Planet that I didn't enjoy and only got 1 or 2 achievements in early on and never got any further in the game, so now I make a point of avoiding garbage from getting into my to-do list.

More directly on the topic at hand, I'm not a big fan of multiplayer games. I typically make a point of avoiding games with centric multiplayer focus and that's usually the type of game that has multiplayer-oriented achievements.

Edited by DarkReign2021

I will play almost any game, exceptions are games with glitched achievements; I hate those, even though I played NBA live 06 knowing the consequences of not being able to get that last achievement. Online achievements in dead games dont bother me as I just need to find a boosting partner or if I cant find one then I load up my 2nd xbox and get 1 month gold account to boost with.

Achievements only turn me off the game if its like FFXI or like an old sports title with its servers shutdown.

Yes but only if they serve the vast minority of the achievements or the game is good.

Like so many games get ruined by MP achievements, the only games I ever liked online were GTA IV (Free roam.. which had no achievements...), Call of Duty 4 and 5, MW2, Gears of War 1 and 2 and Halo 3.

Every other game it's a tack on which ruins the achievement list, I.E GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption, Brutal Legend, F.E.A.R 2, F.E.A.R and many more.

If I want the game? Sure I do. I'm no fan of multiplayer achievements, but I'm not going to NOT get a game I want just because it has them.

I agree with this one. I don't buy games I don't like just for the achievements and I wouldn't not buy a game just because of its achievements at the end of the day. I play games to have fun and hopefully the achievements make it even more fun.

I know it is a tough area for some people as they like to play the game how they see fit but I like to see achievements that make my try out different parts of the game that I might not normally try or play the game differently. For me "Test of Faith" was the perfect achievement, made me play Mirrors Edge in a way I wouldn't have if the achievement hadn't been there and really enjoyed the different challenge.

im not bothered either way. if the single player is good and the multiplayer has a decent amount of players on ill try it out. quantum of solace had solid multiplayer which i enjoyed and i got all the cheevos for that even tho initially i wasnt going to bother with miltiplayer.