PDA

View Full Version : Possibly Banned xbox360?

emul8ter25
07-22-2010, 10:04 AM
A friend of mine that has a 360. He has had broadband in the past and played online, but currently has no broadband so just plays offline.

He came over to my place one day with his 360. Ive got 2 monitors so I figured we could do a bunch of co-op gaming and such and it would be good fun.

Anyways, his 360 could not log in to live no matter what I tried. I tried testing the xbox live connection and it failed. It could not even complete the first step for just the network status. I tried swapping lan cables with mine that I know was good but it still did not work. But the strange part is we played Halo 3 co-op through system link with no problems at all, so his 360 was working on the network to some degree.

He then told me he had let his gold sub lapse because he had no broadband, which makes sense but I knew he should still be able to log in to live, it would just downgrade him.

He also uses some device called an xploder which lets you cheat to get achievements. He wants me to give it a shot but there is no way im touching that thing. I am very suspicious his console might have been banned because of it. I did not think ppl got banned for things like that. I thought they just got points reset to zero.

Any thoughts?

Mikey1610
07-22-2010, 10:20 AM
As far as I know you get only get banned for modding your xbox. Gamerscore resets are for glitching / cheating to get achievements.

Bl0oDiE H3dSh0t
07-22-2010, 10:21 AM
Hmm when he goes to sign in if he is banned, it would say "Your Xbox 360 is banned, blah blah blah" unless it doesnt say something on those lines. It isnt banned.

Source: Been banned myself.

ApochWeiss
07-22-2010, 10:26 AM
Hmm when he goes to sign in if he is banned, it would say "Your Xbox 360 is banned, blah blah blah" unless it doesnt say something on those lines. It isnt banned.

I got banned for not having a credit card with funds to be a gold subscriber instead of using the 3 month pass I bought. Don't ask, even Live has no idea wtf happened and it only went away when I put the money on my card so it could charge me though I cancelled it in the first place. However, it never came up with "Your Xbox 360 is banned" and anything like that, it just kept coming up that I could not connect to the net.

Ask your cheater friend if he paid by credit card and had a subscribed payment plan with Microsoft. If he did and didn't have the money for it to renew, they get mad and ban apparently until you pay for that month. No monthly card will help you, and no silver subscription will save you.

Anyhow, OP: Smart thing keeping your achievements in public. Usually when the words "My friend" and "cheats" are in the same sentence, people tend to check the validity of the story. I looked briefly and saw you actually play games, didn't look at every completion you have, but you're friend's lucky you (probably) don't cheat and have your friend's list open to the public or Creech would nail his digital ass.

TheMavEffect
07-22-2010, 10:27 AM
I think if you flash your Xbox (whatever that is) you get a ban.
Or your Xbox stops receiving XBL updates, and you have to buy a new Xbox to fix the problem.
I think.

emul8ter25
07-22-2010, 10:28 AM

yeah thats what i thought. there would be some type of error message or something letting us know his system was banned.

i am pretty positive its nothing to do with my network. i tested the cat5 cables and the ports from the router and they all worked with mine without problems.

with his 360, we were able to play halo 3 using system link, but in the xbox dashboard it could not even get past the first step of the network testing tool.

emul8ter25
07-22-2010, 10:30 AM
I think if you flash your Xbox (whatever that is) you get a ban.
Or your Xbox stops receiving XBL updates, and you have to buy a new Xbox to fix the problem.
I think.

I do not think his 360 is modded. ive only ever seen him with legit games and he says its not modded.... he could be lying i dunno.

Toshioa
07-22-2010, 10:32 AM
I've not been 'banned' as such, by similar to others on here, the card my xbox live membership was registered to expired and when Microsoft went to take another years payment it failed. Rather than inform me and give me the option to update my card details, they 'froze' the live account meaning I could never log back in to Live even with silver. I couldn't update my details, I couldn't download any patches or DLC, not a thing.

After an hours wait on the phone, finally got a hold of some one at Microsoft UK who told me that account was frozen due to non-payment and there was nothing that could be done. I asked if I gave her my details over the phone now, could she update the card details and reinstate the account - apparently not. Once frozen, an account is constantly frozen... Microsoft don't know how or indeed have a system in place for 'unfreezing' accounts :confused:

If he had Gold and let it expire, this may be the same case with him. I had to open a completely new account and gamertag and start all over again. I hope this isn't the case for him, but then again, if he's cheating to get achievement points it won't take him long to get them back nor are they really 'achievements' lol :p

In response to your other remark; I wouldn't touch a 'cheat cartridge' or 'system'. It takes the fun out of the achievements. Achievements are called achievements for a reason :p

K1LLSW1TCH
07-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Yeah, it is probably just because Microsoft attempted to charge for a month ( or how much he had recurring ) and they could so they make you pay for it's either a month or how every much you had recurring just to have your account back then you have to pay AGAIN to get live.

emul8ter25
07-22-2010, 10:41 AM
wow i never knew about this issue with the credit card. I will have to ask my friend about that.

thats really sleezy of microsoft to do.

ashleary
07-22-2010, 10:46 AM
I've let my gold expire and don't plan on going back until I get paid. Now i'm bricking it that i'm gonna get a ban/frozen account lol.

Damn M$ for installing fear into us with their regeims of terror :)

Toshioa
07-22-2010, 10:49 AM
thats really sleezy of microsoft to do.

It is indeed - you can imagine how annoyed and frustrated I was, but ah well :(

Toshioa
07-22-2010, 10:50 AM
I've let my gold expire and don't plan on going back until I get paid. Now i'm bricking it that i'm gonna get a ban/frozen account lol.

Damn M$ for installing fear into us with their regeims of terror :)

Best thing to do is mannually down grade yourself to silver by logging on to live and going to the account settings. That should keep you out of the danger zone ;)

Mikey1610
07-22-2010, 11:02 AM
I've not been 'banned' as such, by similar to others on here, the card my xbox live membership was registered to expired and when Microsoft went to take another years payment it failed. Rather than inform me and give me the option to update my card details, they 'froze' the live account meaning I could never log back in to Live even with silver. I couldn't update my details, I couldn't download any patches or DLC, not a thing.

After an hours wait on the phone, finally got a hold of some one at Microsoft UK who told me that account was frozen due to non-payment and there was nothing that could be done. I asked if I gave her my details over the phone now, could she update the card details and reinstate the account - apparently not. Once frozen, an account is constantly frozen... Microsoft don't know how or indeed have a system in place for 'unfreezing' accounts :confused:

If he had Gold and let it expire, this may be the same case with him. I had to open a completely new account and gamertag and start all over again. I hope this isn't the case for him, but then again, if he's cheating to get achievement points it won't take him long to get them back nor are they really 'achievements' lol :p

In response to your other remark; I wouldn't touch a 'cheat cartridge' or 'system'. It takes the fun out of the achievements. Achievements are called achievements for a reason :p

The cheeky bastards. Microsoft must remember you have not signed any contract for them to take funds from your card and automatically renew your membership and they're gonna get in all sorts of bother over this eventually.

If you don't cancel and auto-renew is set to on (and I heard they removed this feature from xboxlive.com!!) then that's your fault but if the funds aren't there or the card has expired then you stay as a silver member and for them to freeze your account or whatever is way out of order and they have no legal right to do that.

This is why I never bothered taking advantage of those half price 3 month membership deals they had on the dashboard. I don't know why people renew direct with Microsoft anyway, memberships can be bought so much cheaper from other places on the internet or even in the shops.

Toshioa
07-22-2010, 11:15 AM
The cheeky bastards. Microsoft must remember you have not signed any contract for them to take funds from your card and automatically renew your membership and they're gonna get in all sorts of bother over this eventually.

If you don't cancel and auto-renew is set to on (and I heard they removed this feature from xboxlive.com!!) then that's your fault but if the funds aren't there or the card has expired then you stay as a silver member and for them to freeze your account or whatever is way out of order and they have no legal right to do that.

This is why I never bothered taking advantage of those half price 3 month membership deals they had on the dashboard. I don't know why people renew direct with Microsoft anyway, memberships can be bought so much cheaper from other places on the internet or even in the shops.

Couldn't agree more. The sales advisor on the phone explained to me that I should have received an email stating that my card had expired and that I was required to update those details. I never received that email - whether that is through fault of my own or my junk folder or indeed, if that email was never sent we will never know. They haven't removed the ability to turn 'Auto-renew' off, they've simply moved it to a very difficult location! From memory, you need to visit a specific URL. You login to xbox.com as normal, then immediately go to xbox.com/accounts. From here, I believe you can do almost anything from changing card details, to buying more MSPs and indeed, cancelling auto-renew.

xxJUSTINxx
07-22-2010, 11:16 AM

Thats not true, I've also let my account expire and it got frozen for the credit card issue. Couldn't sign in, etc
I got it back by using a 1 month code again, then after that removed the credit card.

Toshioa
07-22-2010, 11:18 AM
Thats not true, I've also let my account expire and it got frozen for the credit card issue. Couldn't sign in, etc
But I got it back by removing & updating my credit card on xbox.com

I tried that and I couldn't even get to the credit card section of the xbox.com website. That said, this was nearly a year and a half ago so things may have changed :)

KillerBEA
07-22-2010, 01:34 PM

But you did agree to their ToS, which is like signing a contract meaning if you hit agree you get to use their service. You can turn off auto renew so this shit doesnt happen, whether that be the case in this particular perdicimant . Your friends xbox was probably banned from live for something or other and he is not telling you.

gamerguy69
07-22-2010, 04:09 PM
It sounds like the console is banned. Period.

About these Gold membership issues others are having. I don't see what the big deal is. Why are you abandoning a Gold subscription and not know when it's up for renewal if at all? I've never had a problem with my sub. and I opt-in for e-mail notices. I get them each time I redeem a card or buy MS points. I know exactly (Day & Month) when my GOLD will expire (revert to SILVER). I've got no auto-renewal set. My payment instrument for an occasional MS points purchase is valid.

Damian227
07-22-2010, 04:21 PM
I got banned for not having a credit card with funds to be a gold subscriber instead of using the 3 month pass I bought

Same thing happened to my brother, he'd been on that monthly subscription ripoff on my mum's credit card, she got in debt and after one month of not paying, my brother was banned but also had no warning.

My mum had to phone up, pay that one month before his 12 month pre-paid card would work. So it could be that quite easily.

Toshioa
07-23-2010, 10:07 AM
It sounds like the console is banned. Period.

About these Gold membership issues others are having. I don't see what the big deal is. Why are you abandoning a Gold subscription and not know when it's up for renewal if at all? I've never had a problem with my sub. and I opt-in for e-mail notices. I get them each time I redeem a card or buy MS points. I know exactly (Day & Month) when my GOLD will expire (revert to SILVER). I've got no auto-renewal set. My payment instrument for an occasional MS points purchase is valid.

We're talking about two years ago for me so a lot has changed since then. I no longer have auto-renewl on, nor do I have ANY card details stored on Live; I just buy the 1 year gold redemption cards and yeah, I now have an exact idea of when it will expire :) I'm glad accounts now revert to silver as oppose to being 'frozen' lol :)

Nozza XBA
07-23-2010, 10:22 AM
Why are people still posting.. His mate used a CHEATING device so he can unlock achievements.. BANNED! End of..

Your mates a idiot and I'm glad he's banned! Tell him to grow up and unlock them like a real gamer. For his stupidity, he'll now have to buy a new 360 if he want sto go online again. Plus its also common sense for anyone to know this stuff making this thread not worthy of a post imo..

f you haven't touched it then good one you! At leaset you have more sense than him!

iiDaRReN316x
07-23-2010, 01:50 PM
if he uses that he will get reset