PDA

View Full Version : Seriously freaky basement... *spoilers*

AngelCakeTom
07-24-2010, 08:43 PM
In i think episode 4 after escaping Cauldron lake lodge you end up in a basement at one point in the level and wherever you shine the light you see the name Tom in paint, and in a few spots it says 'I curse you Tom' i was unfortunate enough to line my torch up woith that sentance as i walked in, and my name being Tom... it freaked me out to a point that i stopped playing for 10 minutes to go have a ciggerette..
Anyone else have any really weird psychological moments while playing AW?

mmartynn
07-24-2010, 09:54 PM
there was only one moment that "freaked" me out.
episode 2, just after you leave barry in the cabin, i was hunting the collectables, i walked into the cabin with the TV. now being it was about 3am, i was pretty tired, with no-one else in the flat and it was pitch black. all i saw was a shadow walk across a window in game. i looked at my window and i swear i saw the same thing happen in real life.

paused the game and made a cupa coffee, what lasted almost 30 mins xD

djhepcat
07-26-2010, 05:10 AM
I've only been playing through the story at night with the lights out. (did the same with Dead Space, but it's had a much better effect with AW) Last night when I was playing through Episode 4 we had a thunderstorm, seriously creepy. I've usually stayed up an extra half-hour after playing each night - with all the lights on to get right again.

robelirobban
07-26-2010, 09:50 PM
Alright, I don't want to come off as a total wuss but... I find the whole game seriously spooky. Much, much more so than Dead Space which didn't really affect me after the third chapter.

Why? You ask.

Well, I play Alan Wake reeeally slow, taking my time. On average I take 2h30min for a chapter I think. Always around that time actually. What I've noticed is that when I just hop into the game and play it like a "shooter" I never get really spooked by anything, never afraid that there will pop up something. However when I take my time every friggin' bush looks like a damn taken.

It's great to look into the darkness of my room at that point... not! :)

GrassHopper901
07-26-2010, 10:28 PM
scarest moment is when ur having the out of body moment and ur watchin the lady in black and alice and she just jumps at ur screen i had 52 inch of that moment and ill be honest i paused that game turned the sky on disney channel hannah montana i belive was on went over to the clean washin and changed my pants left it for a couple of hours before i started playing again

MarleyMon81
07-26-2010, 10:57 PM
there was only one moment that "freaked" me out.
episode 2, just after you leave barry in the cabin, i was hunting the collectables, i walked into the cabin with the TV. now being it was about 3am, i was pretty tired, with no-one else in the flat and it was pitch black. all i saw was a shadow walk across a window in game. i looked at my window and i swear i saw the same thing happen in real life.

paused the game and made a cupa coffee, what lasted almost 30 mins xD

That one got me too my friend. It kind of made me jump then gave me chills when I walked around outside the corner of the house and saw nothing.

Even funnier...it freaked me out even on my Nightmare play through even when I was already expecting it! :D

Nlkuysdf
07-27-2010, 01:49 AM
That one got me too my friend. It kind of made me jump then gave me chills when I walked around outside the corner of the house and saw nothing.

Even funnier...it freaked me out even on my Nightmare play through even when I was already expecting it! :D

Lol, same here. It spooked me when I saw the shadow walk by. I walked outside ready to kill the taken and there was nothing there. Which was even scarier. I wasn't sure if the game did it in purpose or if I was just imagining taken everywhere.

Battosai343
07-27-2010, 02:30 AM
Alright, I don't want to come off as a total wuss but... I find the whole game seriously spooky. Much, much more so than Dead Space which didn't really affect me after the third chapter.

Why? You ask.

Well, I play Alan Wake reeeally slow, taking my time. On average I take 2h30min for a chapter I think. Always around that time actually. What I've noticed is that when I just hop into the game and play it like a "shooter" I never get really spooked by anything, never afraid that there will pop up something. However when I take my time every friggin' bush looks like a damn taken.

It's great to look into the darkness of my room at that point... not! :)
I feel kind of the same way. With Dead Space, certain parts were certainly creepy, but I was stuck in the shooter mentality. Alan Wake doesn't really feel like a third-person shooter (more of an action adventure), so I'm not stuck in the "shoot everything that moves" mindset. It was easy to lose track of enemies because they blended in with the background. In Dead Space, the enemies stood out a little more. Plus, I've never liked to be in the woods at night...

I had to take a break every so often too.

cab0218
07-28-2010, 05:44 PM
I got scarred when the harvester all of a sudden came to life.

OnCE_Liberated
07-29-2010, 09:49 AM
I cannot recall what episode it was (I believe it was very early in the game, possibly the first or second), but I remember I was in a wooded area. I ran up to a clearing with two sheds/shacks and a generator. I went to start the generator, and as I was pulling the chord a huge Taken walked out from behind the shed in front of me. Thank god I got that light on. But yeah, that moment made me jump!

RockerGuille
07-31-2010, 06:40 AM
I really didn't get scared much with Alan Wake. But it did mess with my mind a lot. Like I stayed in room playing it and trying to put pieces together. And it got to a point where I started wondering if OUR world(real one) was the same as his. And I got all crazy for like a week. Then started going out with friends and snapped out of it haha.

Strato Streak
08-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Oh man, when I went for the gunless wonder ach, I was shitting myself. Wake has the worst stamina in any videogame, so trying to get to the lake with only flares and some flashbangs and a tonne of chainsaw wielding + speedy knife stabbing taken was the most ass clenching, frustrating and panic fuelled gaming session I've ever had with the game. Sure its scary even with guns (that shadow across the window threw me off COMPLETELY), but trying to get that ach was so messed up...I may need to seek help at some point. I genuinely feared for my/Wake's life.

Phew.