PDA

View Full Version : Is this game as 'bad' as the reviews tell me?

Hurlumi
07-26-2010, 07:51 PM
So yeah, I am interested in buying this game but I first want to hear your opinions about the game. I am not so interested in the graphics department. Just want to hear is this game's story gripping and good? and how's the gameplay in general? I enjoy games like: Final Fantasy XIII, Bayonetta, Mass Effect 1 and 2, Lost Odyssey and about all RPGs and JRPGs. So, share me your opinions about the game.

Thanks,;)

Schreckofant
07-26-2010, 08:47 PM
Depends on what you rate as a bad game. I think 7x% ratings are actually fair and imho decent enough for games from genres I'm interested in. It sure has it's weaknesses: Graphics suck, normal enemies are boring, the Gameworld ist actually pretty small and you are forced to visit all the locations several times and the combat system is extremely simple. These (missing polishing) are flaws that the typical american gaming-site rates extremely brutal, that's why I never give a shit about these reviews for games like NIER. Always reminds me of the old Gothic-games: They received destructive reviews from american sites, but actually rank among the best RPGs of all time in my (and many european) opinion, especially for the time they were released in.

The dungeons and bossfights are quite varied and with some interesting design choices, so the game never started to bore me during my run. But whether the story appeals to you is depending on your personal taste. The story, characters and gameworld are pretty abstruse and extremely melancholic. So basically something that is unique to some of the better japanese games, not the 0815-metroboys-and-12y-old-cat-eared-gals-save-the-world crap they keep flooding the market with.

Personally, I liked and enjoyed it. Especially after games like MagnaCarta ot Valkyria Chronicles (yes, I hated the Story), where I started to skip every storylinesequence after a few hours, because I was starting to get the urge to kill the characters from my party. NIER's appealing is several steps above that.

And what brings out the melancholig feeling even more is the brilliant soundtrack and voicework. Without exaggerating, the sound departement is easily one of the best I've ever experienced in a game. I could just play the game to hear the music.

So yes, if you like games with this style you can't do wrong with it's current pricetag (bought it for 15 €, probably the same in USD).

Hurlumi
07-26-2010, 08:53 PM
Ah, thanks :) I think I am gonna pick it up next week when I can spare the time. Watched some gameplay clips and it looks quite interesting imo^^

Seraphias
07-26-2010, 10:01 PM
Really good summary above IMO. The gameplay is certainly a bit lacking, it's not an outstanding action title nor are the core mechanics of the RPG element that engaging (your stats, levels, equipment etc.). I think it was caught badly between the two and really it just leaves that aspect rather dull/dry. I honestly found a lot of my first playthough to be rather boring bar the odd story element, the sidequests and upgrading/fishing are all rather plain. I completed all the sidequests during my first play which made the few interesting story advances few and far between, the rest is all so much time sink/filler. (For example I recon I could have finished the story in 15 hours, rather than the 35 odd it took with sidequests, more filler than story)

With that out of the way we move onto the plot. Again early on I didn't think too much of it but the last few hours were enthralling and it was one of the few games I've played that left me enjoying the second playthrough far more as further aspects of the main story are revealed ( Spoiler free - things that were going on you don't notice the first time). By the time I reached my 3rd and 4th endings I found I'd become rather attached to the characters and wanted to know a bit more of what happened around/before the main story Arc. If you personal taste veers towards to tragic or bittersweet it's definitely an RPG you'll want to pick up for the plot alone.

The soundtrack is very different from most games, certainly beautiful, and is something a lot of folks have fallen in love with. Personally I felt it was a bit disjointed a lot of the time, though occasionally it really hit the nail on the head and was rather poignant. I can see the direction they were going with given the theme of the game (and eventual backstory as you learn it) but personally it didn't really stick with me but I know I'm in the vast minority there.

Overall it's not a great gaming experience (certainly a grade or two below those you've mentioned above), but though that was mediocre I found the plot, the main element I look for in RPGs, was enough to leave me more than happy at the purchase.

xtankizbeastx
08-20-2010, 01:52 AM
I played it, but I didn't like it at all. You should rent it? That would probably be better if you're unsure about buying. That's what I always do. Rent first, buy if it's good enough. It all depends on if you like it and not if other people like it.

Vampyre Blade
08-25-2010, 03:32 AM
Just recently picked up this game and I wasn't really expecting much after reading some of the reviews, but I was pleasantly surprised. Sure the graphics aren't the best but graphics don't determine whether a game is fun. Found the story and characters to be an extremely welcome and refreshing change of pace. As previously said the music is amazing. Definite buy IMO.

Galrikh
08-30-2010, 04:43 PM
This game is one of the best games for me that ever came from Squarenix after Final Fantasy X. I love this game :)

But farming for the last gamerscore sucks ;)

circus1776
09-10-2010, 10:22 PM
Just putting in my two cents: I really loved the storyline of this game and some of the gameplay tweaks were fun since it combined a lot of genres and did cameos of styles, but alas, getting to plot places was tiresome and altogether somewhat dull. The little gameplay "rofls" quickly faded after all the time it took to get to and through areas. However, the music is beautiful. Certainly not one of my tops, personally, but it's not like it's the worst game ever made or anything. I guess it depends on what kind of gamer you are.

Dee Arth Maul
09-29-2010, 03:17 PM
Really hoping this is as good as I want it to be haha.

Just bought it a couple of days ago and havent got around to play it yet.

Konamisune
10-05-2010, 06:01 AM
I didn't get to play too far into this one, but it was a really fun game for as far as I got if that helps any, wish I could get around to playing more into it, though.

WhoF arted
10-08-2010, 08:38 AM
i just started playing this game today and it seems like a really good game later on i would suggest that you rent it first try and then see what you like about it.

alex g
10-09-2010, 08:40 AM
i recently bought the game and it was a bit of a gamble for me after the epic disapointment of FFXIII, along with some other square enix titles of late, but with all honesty, i loved it.
the reviews for games now have so much competition from amazing looking games with 100s of miles of maps so when something like this comes along i suppose it would seem to some like it was meant for the xbox or ps2.
once you get past the graphics (and overall size if thats a problem for you) you can start to appreciate the good points. The sound track is wonderful and always sets the mood well, the characters, although a little cliche, are easy to form a relationship with and i found myself fully immersed in the story and unable to wait to find out what happens next.
i also enjoyed the combat system which to me, made a bit of a change to the usual turn based system, again this will be a matter of opinion and will not suit everyone.
just to sum up; i found this jack of all trades to be very gripping and fun to play, without ever taking itself too seriously, with some witty banter between the characters along the way. This is one of my favorite games this year and a real suprise one too. :)

mr wong tong
10-14-2010, 07:29 PM
well i just bought it myself thanks guys should be arriving tomorrow. to be fair this game seems ok nothing special but hell for 9 not complaining as long as i enjoy it. just finished magna carta so this is perfect timing to buy another rpg...

Ashunera
10-25-2010, 09:09 PM
I really enjoyed NIER , its one of the best games i played so far
you can review it yourself if you play it , if you play it and you like it :D then you like it , if you don't like it , you don't like it eh :D

Opiate42
12-07-2010, 07:46 PM
I just found a place to pick it up new for $10, so I'm going to pick it up tonight give it a whirl. At that price if it's not to my liking I'm not going to feel ripped off, just set it aside on the trade in pile and play something else.

If I do, then bonus!!

lostmotiv
12-09-2010, 02:32 AM
lol also picked it up today for $10, ebgames deal of the day?

Opiate42
12-10-2010, 03:47 PM
lol also picked it up today for $10, ebgames deal of the day?

Yup! and I had a credit so cost me a whopping $3.

So far so good only just started, interesting enough story at the beginning but I'm guessing combat is mostly mashing one button through the whole game with the occasional left bumper?

ozgoon56
12-11-2010, 06:45 AM
Yup! and I had a credit so cost me a whopping $3.

So far so good only just started, interesting enough story at the beginning but I'm guessing combat is mostly mashing one button through the whole game with the occasional left bumper?

Well I bought it at a slight discount not long after release and I thought it was worth every penny. Not only an interesting story but some very funny dialogue and moments, which I love to see in a game. At that price I'd say you got the bargain of the year.

The combat is much like almost any game of this type (it's action/adventure not the rpg it was marketed as!) in that you live for the bosses. Standard enemies are easy to beat using just about any method, but there are some epic boss fights, especially the first time through if you're going for Lightspeed and not levelling up. You'll need to learn the best use of magic and some good dodging skills for those.

Blessed Sin
12-15-2010, 05:37 AM
This game is one of the best games for me that ever came from Squarenix after Final Fantasy X. I love this game :)

I completely agree with this. SE has been mega lacking for the past decade. Although there have been minor hits. Star Ocean 3 was good. Haven't played 4 through yet, so Idk about it... 12 was different but still good. And 13 was a good game... But a horrible Final Fantasy game (lacking most elements of an FF game).
Then there have been other minor hits from them, but for the most part they've sucked.
Which is sad because I love SE :(
But yes, this game is horribly underrated. I love it... Although I would have loved Replicant more. lol

Necromancer
12-16-2010, 04:39 PM

Yeah, but except Square Enix did not develop a.k.a. create Nier.
They merely published Nier. Cavia was the developer... They made a few other games.

I think reviewers were a little harsh on Nier. But from my understanding the game was hyped to some degree. It features a soundtrack that really does rival some of Nobuo Uematsu's work.

GOWnage
01-29-2011, 10:25 PM
This game is worth it for the music alone...

takuto neko
02-05-2011, 11:48 AM
It's worth a rent if you're unsure if you'll like the game or not. I chose to rent as I was unsure and heard pretty much bad remarks about this game and hardly anything positive.

But I like playing through 'bad games' and see what I really think. And this one I was really suprized with how much I enjoyed it. The game overal is pretty basic, not exactly anything new buuuut this didn't phase me. Character models are somewhat ugly but the female characters seem to look a lot better. I LOVED the music, it was peaceful to listen to.

I did get a little frustrated by having to go to the same places...Maybe if there was a bit more of a world it could have been better? But then again many games you end up running around the same places many times (GTA,SR,etc) and honestly this little 'niggle' isn't one that should put you off trying it out.

Looking at the bigger picture..Great game! Worth picking up and playing through it. Maybe not for 100% achievements but it is worth playing through the storyline..i think :)

UNBOUND
02-09-2011, 02:52 AM
I just started and put in a few hours so far. When does it start to pick up would be my question? It seems very slow at the beginning. Seems pretty cool, very different but super slow.

MetalMudkip
02-11-2011, 10:27 PM
if you make a Japanese account, you can download a demo of it.

Masfima
02-15-2011, 11:55 PM
got for 12 dollars at Gamestop, haven't played it yet but 12 dollars

XY Gameboi4Ever
02-18-2011, 02:53 AM
Nier was far better than I expected. Cavia did Drakengard and its sequel for the PS2. I thought those games were ok. I'm also a sucker for nearly anything Square Enix slaps its name on. I wanted the game just because of the names behind it really. I wasn't disappointed.

Nier is much better than the reviews gave it credit for. Admittedly it doesn't have the best graphics, but I really think it delivers everywhere else. I liked the story, the atmosphere, the music, and the battle system. The game never lost steam towards the end. That's just my opinion of it. I loved FF XIII but hated The Last Remnant. Nier is one of the better games I own. Sometimes games start off ok then turn on you. Nier never did that, and I appreciate it.

He is sort of ugly though. I'm glad he opted for the mask later on....

mr wong tong
02-24-2011, 12:39 AM
i wonder if he ever enjoyed nier....hell i loved it.

aDisabledRabbit
03-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Played this before. For me, it was decent-ish lol. That's about it 2bh. xP

maur1c1o
04-06-2011, 07:19 PM
I know there was a demo on the marketplace not sure if its still there but you can always check it out before buying it

Zombii Panda
05-08-2011, 02:49 AM
I'm not going to go into a huge amount of detail but I can say this game is one of the best I've played in a while, it starts off a tiny bit crappy which is why a lot of people probably give up on it but after it's awesome. Get it!

Masfima
05-10-2011, 08:15 AM
Finally got around to playing this and I think this this game was severely under scored by reviewers. I enjoyed immensely and would recommend it to any RPG fan.