PDA

View Full Version : run on sentence

Amore03
07-28-2010, 04:28 AM
This may be a dumb question but i can still save and quit right? Thanks!

Veil Of Seph
07-28-2010, 04:55 AM
I believe it is all to be done in one playthrough mate, it'd be your best bet either way. It should only take you between 20-40 minutes, depending on your pace.

Yunder
07-28-2010, 04:58 AM
For Run-On Sentence, the achievement has to be done in one playthrough. Saving and Quiting, or dying will void the achievement.

Vulx
07-28-2010, 06:55 AM
ya this needs to be done in one sitting... learned that the hardway. got the achievement my third playthrough...

- first one i was focused on just getting the collectibles and whatnot...

- second time (going for the achievement) i was overeager and got careless and died at the last fight...

- third playthrough... oh my god... i about threw my controller! i did the playthrough near perfectly i think i was hit twice by enemies throughout the playthrough... and just when the last cutscene started rolling i went to skip it and the damn game froze on me! haha i ended up having to restart my 360... curiously enough the achievement popped up the moment i started the game up again.

xHENNESx
07-28-2010, 09:22 AM
- third playthrough... oh my god... i about threw my controller! i did the playthrough near perfectly i think i was hit twice by enemies throughout the playthrough... and just when the last cutscene started rolling i went to skip it and the damn game froze on me! haha i ended up having to restart my 360... curiously enough the achievement popped up the moment i started the game up again.

you're lucky I run through the episode without dying defeated the final boss in less than 1:30, the fast and furious achievement popped and my xbox froze...run-on sentence did not unlock. man I'm pissed.

DiscoDuck8k
07-28-2010, 01:02 PM
Seems like that might be an actual glitch and not just bad luck. I can confirm while going for Fast and Furious/Run-On Sentence my Xbox also froze the moment the first one popped up.

Had to do it all over again for the latter though... really annoying.

Vulx
07-28-2010, 01:39 PM
damn... ya it might actually be a glitch in the dlc.

DigiLuigi
07-28-2010, 02:41 PM
I got the achievement. But when I check under achievements it still says 1200g and 57 of 58. When I check the game's achievements it's there and it's also there if I check on xbox.com. For some reason it just didn't update on that one place and it doesn't recognize my game as complete. Solutions anyone?

Cortex369
07-28-2010, 02:43 PM
i made it all the way to the final part and died, but on my second go around i got it. Advice just use flares to avoid fights and just run. Use your dodges also . Good luck! I notice a lot of people game froze before getting the achievement. Mines didn't. I think its because i didn't skip the song. As soon as the credit started rolling i got it.

N3xus Gam3r
07-28-2010, 02:44 PM
:woop:I got the achievement. But when I check under achievements it still says 1200g and 57 of 58. When I check the game's achievements it's there and it's also there if I check on xbox.com. For some reason it just didn't update on that one place and it doesn't recognize my game as complete. Solutions anyone? Recover GT

Problem solved

DigiLuigi
07-28-2010, 02:53 PM
Thanks, I thought so. This achievement seems to need more work than it should for several people. But as long as it works in the end, you don't see me complaining. The DLC was a lot of fun.

Edit: By the way, is recovering your gamertag supposed to take 2 hours?

X WIFE3
07-28-2010, 07:00 PM
it depends on your amount of GS and download history

Ri88ick
07-28-2010, 10:18 PM
There seems to be an issue with this dlc. I also got all achievements but the game details say 57/58 and 1225/1250.

So I did recover my gamertag - but this canīt be standard procedure for this game?

youre so bastos
07-29-2010, 12:07 AM
Oh god, the same exact thing happened to me just now. I was near going ape shit. Thank fucking god it unlocked right when I restarted the game. I did NOT want to spend another 40 minutes running through it again.

tripleb2k
07-29-2010, 01:25 AM
I hate these 'survive' achievements. yes it adds a challenge to the game but it ruins the fun and you can't do much exploring. having to play through the same thing a few times loses its fun quickly!

HaganeGir
07-29-2010, 07:22 AM
I think I'm going insane with this achievement. I've tried it four times this afternoon. The first time I made it all the way to the final boss, fired the flare gun, and the game glitched up and froze. The last three times I have been mysteriously pushed into the water while jumping onto (or once off of) the suspended platform that takes you to the very last part of the level.

It wouldn't be so rage-inducing if the last two times hadn't been failures because Alan suddenly decided he didn't want to jump properly...D:

acurate bob
07-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Will finish off the collect ones and the 1:30 final fight. And not need to worry about being killed.

Also which is the final fight? Spoiler alert for those not finished

The one in the warehouse alone or does it include the boat after wards? Cheers.

N3xus Gam3r
07-29-2010, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Will finish off the collect ones and the 1:30 final fight. And not need to worry about being killed.

Also which is the final fight? Spoiler alert for those not finished

The one in the warehouse alone or does it include the boat after wards? Cheers. The fight with the TV ;)

Amore03
07-29-2010, 03:42 PM
Yeah thats what i figured. Thanks everyone.

Welka
07-29-2010, 06:06 PM
The final fight starts in the apartment after Zane's speech and as soon as the small TVs start floating near the big one and it ends once you got rid of the boat. As soon as you defeat the boat, the achievement unlocks ;)

dillon
08-01-2010, 05:31 AM
Where are you guys finding your flare gun ammo? I only have 2 for the final boss fight, yet people are saying they have 6.

Quid Squid
08-01-2010, 05:56 AM
Where are you guys finding your flare gun ammo? I only have 2 for the final boss fight, yet people are saying they have 6.

You get your first two when you enter the cabin in the beginning.

When you get to your first memory there is a small shack to your left. Inside that should be another one.

When you are running through the hills with the "boom" and "fireworks" words you come across a train with a flare fun inside. (be careful because about 3 or 4 enemies will attack you in there and there is a "possessed" word at the other exit. just leave the way you came in)

Right before the bridge and all the enemy words to your left is another train with a flaregun and another extra ammo inside.

Those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head. I had 7 by the time I was at the last boss.

Flik Nightshade
08-01-2010, 06:07 AM
This has to be one of the worst achievements I've went for since my excusrion into World at War. I've never been one hit by so much stray bullshit before. Like just now, I had one of the monster trucks t-bone by car, destroying it so I end up on top of it as a perfectly timed second truck one hits me in midair.

This is ignorant.

Tim1601
08-01-2010, 12:42 PM
ya this needs to be done in one sitting... learned that the hardway. got the achievement my third playthrough...

- first one i was focused on just getting the collectibles and whatnot...

- second time (going for the achievement) i was overeager and got careless and died at the last fight...

- third playthrough... oh my god... i about threw my controller! i did the playthrough near perfectly i think i was hit twice by enemies throughout the playthrough... and just when the last cutscene started rolling i went to skip it and the damn game froze on me! haha i ended up having to restart my 360... curiously enough the achievement popped up the moment i started the game up again. I did the same thing on my 2nd playthrough, I went into the last fight with 1 flare gun ammo and realised how screwed I was without more lol.

Zombiehugger
08-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Yeah this achievement took me a couple of tries because I quit once on my second playthrough and it didn't give it to me.

XBL Unreal
08-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Every time I go through the content, I die somewhere stupid. :( I have it down to one death but its always in a different spot. The woods, the 1000 lights, the shipping bin that swings across the gap. I will get it eventually.

jd070993
08-01-2010, 09:00 PM
This has to be one of the worst achievements I've went for since my excusrion into World at War. I've never been one hit by so much stray bullshit before. Like just now, I had one of the monster trucks t-bone by car, destroying it so I end up on top of it as a perfectly timed second truck one hits me in midair.

This is ignorant.

When I tried for it, I got up to the same part without dying. Flicked the switch, got in a car, and was driving to the warehouse when I got flipped on my side. I was forced out, and managed to make it to the warehouse... and then I got gang-raped by everything and everyone :(

Pearson
08-01-2010, 09:50 PM
The description for this achievement is a little mis-leading, Remedy makes it sound like all you have to do is finish the game without re-starting the game or reloading the chapter over again, not finish it without dying. Luckily though when I played it the first time through I was just going for the collectibles and not worrying about Run-On Sentence.

XBL Unreal
08-02-2010, 04:05 PM
I finally got it. After I had 4 flare gun flares I used flash grenades and flares to get to the next safe havens for the couple of areas I might die in. I made it to the end with no problems and finished the ending in about a minute.

brgm
08-02-2010, 05:23 PM
this one is a pain in the ass. i would have got it on my first run through if i hadn't fell into a river some where. now i'm actually trying to get it I keep bottling it :(

trekkieb47
08-02-2010, 05:47 PM
I keep dying in unexpected ways. I jumped onto the board that swings across in the lumber yard, but Alan slipped after I made the jump. I was so close too. :-/

xavieramo
08-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Don't jump. Just walk.

DarthSoth
08-02-2010, 08:13 PM
I am hating this one. I've been going at this one at least half a dozen times already. Really frustrating achievement. I've had a couple of really irritating deaths too. One where I was hammering on the flare button and ended up getting hit 3 times and not pulling the flare out, so of course I died. That one really urked me.
The basement was a little annoying as well. Had 3 or 4 deaths down there.

See how it goes in successive attempts but this one is looking like the one that will get left unfinished for me. My frustration tolerance just isn't what it used to be.

Dirty130
08-03-2010, 04:24 AM
After finishing The Signal going for the Collectables only, I let the Credits roll, happy with the results. I decided to just run through again to see how far I'd get without dying. Lets just say the 2 'Monster Trucks' at the Sawmill put a end to that. Fuckers!

MarleyMon81
08-03-2010, 01:23 PM
For the monster trucks, I kept from hitting the switch to open the doors. This keeps the safe haven light on. Try to keep drawing the trucks to you and blast them with your flashlight. They will eventually drive away, just keep luring them to you by walking out from the overhang a bit. As they come towards you, get back under and hit them with the flashlight.

Be careful of spawning Taken behind you. Dive back into the Safe Haven light if you start to get attacked.

Once both trucks are destroyed, hit the button to open the doors on the other side of the area and hop into the truck. You'll have to deal with some Taken and poltergeist objects but you should make it back across without dying.

Drive in through the doors and run over some of the red barrels. This will cause them to explode and take out most if not all of the Taken without injuring Wake.

This one took me a bit, but I finally got it over the weekend. Just keep plugging away.

XBL Unreal
08-03-2010, 08:19 PM
For the monster trucks I stood behind the spool / post on the far right. It is right in front of you when you are going for the alarm clock. The trucks would ram it but it wouldn't move. I took out the 2 trucks that way and the odd taken that would come over. I had no problems what so ever.

Red Testament
08-04-2010, 09:05 PM
I did a collectible/no wheels/fast and furious achievement run through just now. I only lack this one. I only died in two places: The street lights and monster truck area. I got lost in the street light area looking for the clock and got cornered and killed.

Since I was trying to conserve flare gun ammo and not use the trucks, I got killed. Definitely can beat the game if I can get past those areas. And since I can use the trucks, should be a breeze.

karlosthejackal
08-06-2010, 09:35 AM

I only had 2 flare gun ammo & breezed thru final fite aslong as u got flares aswell ure sorted ;) Flare the 1st tvs then flare gun twice the tvs wenu drop down then plenty of flares dropped round the boat finishes it quickly so u dont need 6or7 flare gun ;)

DarthSoth
08-06-2010, 06:51 PM

I had 8 for the final boss. There are quite a few to be found in the dlc

Ali_P_84
08-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Toughest achievement in the DLC by far, especially as I don't have the patience to try it more than once in a sitting.

I keep dying in different places, and places I had no trouble with on my first playthrough, it is just so frustrating.

kestrel
08-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Run on sentence was a nice challenge and really the only Achievement in Alan Wake with any kind of difficulty.

rymawh
08-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Definitely the hardest achievement in the game, especially since it appears the difficulty is jacked up to a baseline of Nightmare.

Finally got it after about 7-8 goes. Hardest part IMO is the field with all the different words, mainly enemies or possessed, and the constant flocks of ravens (books). Died at that part at least three times. Made sure to save every flare gun ammo I came across (except for one, which I used on the first set of cars) for the finale, and blew through that part with my hands shaking.

cassetto
08-07-2010, 10:52 PM
16 times tryed so far...

Xx FC Laine xX
08-07-2010, 10:56 PM
omg omg omg immghdhdw

Xx FC Laine xX
08-07-2010, 10:58 PM
fnvrjnvwrnvtjvwrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

rymawh
08-08-2010, 12:53 AM
fnvrjnvwrnvtjvwrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

lollercopters

Ali_P_84
08-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Managed to get the achievement this morning, must have been my fifth or sixth go at it. Once you get past the chainsaw guy you know you're pretty much home and dry.

rymawh
08-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Managed to get the achievement this morning, must have been my fifth or sixth go at it. Once you get past the chainsaw guy you know you're pretty much home and dry.

Unless you've run out of flare gun ammo, in which case, good luck on the finale.

SweetBlackMagic
08-09-2010, 01:48 PM
Finally got this over the weekend. For me, the key was figuring out which battles to actually fight, and which ones to avoid altogether. Also, if you can get six flare gun shots, your life will be MUCH easier. You really only need two plus some flares for the final battle...so having four extra will give you a lot of breathing room.

- The playground fight...first appearance of the ravens. I ran to the steps as fast as I could, dropped a flare, and ran to the checkpoint. Then, I stepped out of the light and drew the birds to the safe haven to kill them. After that, go back and get the "Tools" near the steps...just burn off the words from a distance and then start killing Taken. You can always run back to the Safe Haven if needed. There are two flares and lots of ammunition here...even with dropping that flare initially, you'll come out (+1) by going back.

- Avoid the very next fight with the "fishermen" in the backyard area. Run to the right, up the steps, and light a flare. Then just jump over to reach a checkpoint. You'll save a ton of ammo and time this way.

- Kill every Taken in the basement. This is the safest way to be sure you don't get randomly killed here. The furnaces are numerous and extremely powerful...once you figure out where they come from, taking everyone out is pretty easy. I tried just making a run for it a few times, but if you get stuck between some enemies and the furnaces, you're toast.

- The field before the train yard...DAMN this place! Easily the place I died the most. My suggestion is to not try and take out the initial five or six that appear with the "Boom" in the middle of the field...if they somehow hit you twice before it explodes, you have very little room for error the rest of the way through this section. I lit a flare and ran to the right...then waited for them to catch up to me before setting the first "Boom" off. You should be able to get most of the initial wave if you time it right. KEEP MOVING...setting off "Boom" and "Fireworks" at regular intervals. Also, know which train car you need to get to for the flare gun and flashbang ahead of time...getting lost here is suicide. You need both the flare gun and the flashbang to make life easier later on. DO NOT try for the "Tools" just outside the train car unless you are VERY low on ammo...there are no flares to be had, so it's not worth the risk at this point. Just be sure to kill a few Taken from within the train car before running to the Turret ahead...they appear out of nowhere in this area...and quickly.

- The sawmill. My advice is to get in the first car and drive left towards the Safe Haven. Once you're there, be sure to get the pump action shotgun. Just stray in and out of the safe haven light until you kill BOTH monster trucks, then hit the switch and jump in another car. Drive straight towards and INTO the warehouse...running over the canisters will help you tremendously.

- Chainsaw guy. The key to this is to a) know where exactly he comes from and b) have both flashbangs available. If you can time it right, drop a flare BEFORE you trigger his appearance. This will keep the other Taken that appears here from coming up behind you. Use your flashbangs to kill Chainsaw, then take out the other guy via standard means.

After that, you should pretty much be good to go. The only other "tricky" section is the second room of the warehouse following Chainsaw. After triggering the Taken, two more will come up the steps from the first floor. Be sure to take them out before proceeding.

Hope some of these tips help. Also, I just let the entire song play after the episode and the cheev popped without freezing. The song's not bad...and I didn't want to take any chance :) Good luck!

rymawh
08-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Seems to me that a lot of people are having trouble with the basement, and the chainsaw Taken. I must be in the minority, because those parts never really gave me any trouble.

But that field of words, fuck that place.

EliteShadowMan
08-10-2010, 07:43 PM
all you guys had me worried about this achievement when i started the DLC last night...and its not even hard at all. granted i did die on my first run which was a collectibles run anyway and on my 2nd try i got it without much effort, what an easy achievement.

The part with all the words and the birds attack you at the same time is the part i died the first time going through, and i figured if you stay more to the left side of the path and go in between words and exit off to the left you should be able to run and boost your flashlight on the birds without worrying about hitting one of those words.

Ali_P_84
08-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Seems to me that a lot of people are having trouble with the basement, and the chainsaw Taken. I must be in the minority, because those parts never really gave me any trouble.

But that field of words, fuck that place.

The chainsaw guy never gave me any trouble at all.

zed1676
08-12-2010, 04:21 AM
i really dont know why everyone is having so much trouble with this achievement. first playthrough all about the collectibles, second playthrough was the run on sentence achievement and got it with no trouble. everyone here does know that you can select the difficulty to normal?

rymawh
08-13-2010, 05:01 PM
i really dont know why everyone is having so much trouble with this achievement. first playthrough all about the collectibles, second playthrough was the run on sentence achievement and got it with no trouble. everyone here does know that you can select the difficulty to normal?

Nope. Didn't know that. I always started the chapter from the DLC screen, and they don't give you the option to change the difficulty in that menu, at least. But from your post I'm assuming it's different if you choose it from say, the Chapter Select menu?

agentcastle
08-14-2010, 02:59 AM
Finally got this over the weekend. For me, the key was figuring out which battles to actually fight, and which ones to avoid altogether. Also, if you can get six flare gun shots, your life will be MUCH easier. You really only need two plus some flares for the final battle...so having four extra will give you a lot of breathing room.

- The playground fight...first appearance of the ravens. I ran to the steps as fast as I could, dropped a flare, and ran to the checkpoint. Then, I stepped out of the light and drew the birds to the safe haven to kill them. After that, go back and get the "Tools" near the steps...just burn off the words from a distance and then start killing Taken. You can always run back to the Safe Haven if needed. There are two flares and lots of ammunition here...even with dropping that flare initially, you'll come out (+1) by going back.

- Avoid the very next fight with the "fishermen" in the backyard area. Run to the right, up the steps, and light a flare. Then just jump over to reach a checkpoint. You'll save a ton of ammo and time this way.

- Kill every Taken in the basement. This is the safest way to be sure you don't get randomly killed here. The furnaces are numerous and extremely powerful...once you figure out where they come from, taking everyone out is pretty easy. I tried just making a run for it a few times, but if you get stuck between some enemies and the furnaces, you're toast.

- The field before the train yard...DAMN this place! Easily the place I died the most. My suggestion is to not try and take out the initial five or six that appear with the "Boom" in the middle of the field...if they somehow hit you twice before it explodes, you have very little room for error the rest of the way through this section. I lit a flare and ran to the right...then waited for them to catch up to me before setting the first "Boom" off. You should be able to get most of the initial wave if you time it right. KEEP MOVING...setting off "Boom" and "Fireworks" at regular intervals. Also, know which train car you need to get to for the flare gun and flashbang ahead of time...getting lost here is suicide. You need both the flare gun and the flashbang to make life easier later on. DO NOT try for the "Tools" just outside the train car unless you are VERY low on ammo...there are no flares to be had, so it's not worth the risk at this point. Just be sure to kill a few Taken from within the train car before running to the Turret ahead...they appear out of nowhere in this area...and quickly.

- The sawmill. My advice is to get in the first car and drive left towards the Safe Haven. Once you're there, be sure to get the pump action shotgun. Just stray in and out of the safe haven light until you kill BOTH monster trucks, then hit the switch and jump in another car. Drive straight towards and INTO the warehouse...running over the canisters will help you tremendously.

- Chainsaw guy. The key to this is to a) know where exactly he comes from and b) have both flashbangs available. If you can time it right, drop a flare BEFORE you trigger his appearance. This will keep the other Taken that appears here from coming up behind you. Use your flashbangs to kill Chainsaw, then take out the other guy via standard means.

After that, you should pretty much be good to go. The only other "tricky" section is the second room of the warehouse following Chainsaw. After triggering the Taken, two more will come up the steps from the first floor. Be sure to take them out before proceeding.

Hope some of these tips help. Also, I just let the entire song play after the episode and the cheev popped without freezing. The song's not bad...and I didn't want to take any chance :) Good luck!

I agree with some of the posts stating that the hype was worse than the game's bite... but I had just finished Nightmare mode so maybe i was used to cuttin' and runnin' which is best way to stay alive:

in addition to above:
- after crossing bridge and entering field full of "words" just hug the path to the right and through the trees; can get to safety with only a flare or two and without bringing any of said "words" to life

- in the area after chainsaw guy and where you enter the final room at the top of the stairs (before the "bridge") simply shoot the first exploding canister prior entering and then sprint (+/- a flair)

- and DONT JUMP onto to bridge - woulda gotten cheevo on my first run had I not mega-manned myself into the river

zed1676
08-14-2010, 09:42 AM
Nope. Didn't know that. I always started the chapter from the DLC screen, and they don't give you the option to change the difficulty in that menu, at least. But from your post I'm assuming it's different if you choose it from say, the Chapter Select menu?

you got it, go to the episode select screen and you can do the signal on normal difficulty..

twinkie
08-15-2010, 07:58 PM
I keep dying in unexpected ways. I jumped onto the board that swings across in the lumber yard, but Alan slipped after I made the jump. I was so close too. :-/

haha. me it was just after that part when you go up the ladder before jumping into the house. for some reason, the game glitched when i was about to go up the last ladder. Alan felt down and then magically, he was back up on the roof and then, fell to his death.. :rant:

Angel Fire 42
08-19-2010, 01:09 PM

IMHO this was the best advice as I breezed through without much trouble. Had a load of trouble in the sawmill yard - seemed to take forever - so I died and restarted over which seemed to change the settings as I had the monster trucks down in no time. Thanks again for the very good advice.