PDA

View Full Version : Screamo

DocRevolt
07-28-2010, 05:55 AM
I want your opinions on screamo. I don't care if we're talking about post-hardcore, crunkcore, or any form of metal which involves actual screaming. From A Day to Remember to Alesana to The Devil Wears Prada, Enter Shikari to Escape the Fate to Brokencyde, screamo varies a lot. Anyway, I'm looking for your feelings, whatever your proclivity may be. So please vote and comment.

And yes, I realize a large portion of this forum listens to nothing but old metal and will probably flame the hell out of screamo, but please, no incessant ranting.

StolenPaper18
07-28-2010, 06:00 AM
I chose "I can tolerate it, but I tend to only like songs that use it sparingly"...I've heard a few good screamo songs, but I've heard a lot of bad ones also. It is pretty much like any other kind of music to me, I like some of it and I hate some of it.

Off Topic: I really wish Brokencyde would just die in a fire...the whole group!

Milimanci
07-28-2010, 06:29 AM
I picked the third one. A couple years ago, I listened to Underoath. And I really liked it; but I listened to some other screamo band...can't really remember what the name was. Oh, it was Bring Me the Horizon. But I didn't like them that much. BMTH was too much screamo for me.

Now, I don't listen to anything but rap. Just like everyone else does. :woop:

qwinlin16
07-28-2010, 06:54 AM
i dont really like screamo anymore

Starstrukk X360A
07-28-2010, 11:18 AM
It honestly depends on how it's done.

Don't give me none of that 100% screaming with heavy as hell riffs that make you not understand the bloody lyrics.

Neverender
07-28-2010, 12:32 PM
I like most Screamo. However, if the music which accompanies it is just a bunch of thrashing without any melody/rhythm or if the vocalist can't scream well, then I won't like it.

There are also just crap bands which ruin it and make people think it sucks (BrokenCYDE), which I also hate.

EliteShadowMan
07-28-2010, 02:52 PM
never really like screamo at all and probably never will, i only like bands that scream sometimes in their songs like Avenged Sevenfold, but thats different cause they actually sing. It just annoys me when people think Screamo bands are better than actual bands that have actual talent

milecoupe
07-28-2010, 06:27 PM
I love the stuff but voted for worst stuff to happen to music since brokencyde is listed up there as there one of the only "bands" that i can't stand and get classed with my type of music grrr:mad:

Only screamo really listed thought is alesana & adtr is'nt close to screamo.Just saying

PointPlaceWI
07-28-2010, 06:30 PM
I listen to a decent amount of screamo. Some of the shit I can't stand because its you can't hear a damn thing that is being screamed but there are plenty of screamo bands that I actually enjoy.

kyboy
07-28-2010, 06:42 PM
pretty much all i listen to... we came as romans, black veil brides, brokencyde, sky eats airplane, lots of others..

Schism
07-28-2010, 07:01 PM
I cant really tolerate Screemo music. I dont really even class is as music in my eyes...I dont see how people can like it. I dont know...to me its just annoying noise. And most of the bands do horrible live. I guess i just really dislike that genre of music..hell i like country more. Its funny because my two best friends only listen to Screemo shit and they constantly try to get me into it. Oh and i wouldnt call TDWP screemo...idk i heard a release off the new EP from them...does not sound close to screemo at all D:

Tussell
07-28-2010, 07:02 PM
I chose 'It's the worst stuff to ever happen to music'.

I wouldn't go as far as saying it's the worst thing to happen to music, but I'd definitely say it's up there. I went to Warped Tour last year and was absolutely disgusted at about 80% of the bands. I'm going again this year, and looked up some of the bands I didn't know of, and it looks as though I'll be disappointed with about 75% this time.

It's just my opinion, but I think 99% of the music that falls into the 'screamo' genre is just pure shit. I don't how anyone could consider brokeNCYDE music.

Now, on the other hand, there is the non-modern look at Screamo, and that I love. Bands such as Fugazi, The Locust, The Blood Brothers, Alexisonfire, etc.

DocRevolt
07-28-2010, 08:17 PM
I cant really tolerate Screemo music. I dont really even class is as music in my eyes...I dont see how people can like it. I dont know...to me its just annoying noise. And most of the bands do horrible live. I guess i just really dislike that genre of music..hell i like country more. Its funny because my two best friends only listen to Screemo shit and they constantly try to get me into it. Oh and i wouldnt call TDWP screemo...idk i heard a release off the new EP from them...does not sound close to screemo at all D:
How you could say The Devil Wears Prada isn't screamo is incredibly confusing to me. They do have a clean vocalist (Jeremy Depoyster) but their primary vocalist is Mike Hranica, who only screams. And in terms of stuff from their new EP, this is absolutely screamo (not trashing it, I love TDWP and they put on an amazing show).

The Devil Wears Prada - Outnumbered

Burning Karma
07-28-2010, 09:30 PM
I want your opinions on screamo. I don't care if we're talking about post-hardcore, crunkcore, or any form of metal which involves actual screaming. From A Day to Remember to Alesana to The Devil Wears Prada, Enter Shikari to Escape the Fate to Brokencyde, screamo varies a lot. Anyway, I'm looking for your feelings, whatever your proclivity may be. So please vote and comment.

And yes, I realize a large portion of this forum listens to nothing but old metal and will probably flame the hell out of screamo, but please, no incessant ranting.
This makes the entire thread fail.

No, but seriously. I don't think I really listen to any screamo. Screaming vocals annoy me.

Joker0fLife
07-28-2010, 09:58 PM
I don't think I listen to any Screamo bands now that I've looked in depth to what it really is. I like some Post-Hardcore and Melodic Hardcore bands though, if that's what your looking for instead of Screamo...

Schism
07-28-2010, 11:24 PM
How you could say The Devil Wears Prada isn't screamo is incredibly confusing to me. They do have a clean vocalist (Jeremy Depoyster) but their primary vocalist is Mike Hranica, who only screams. And in terms of stuff from their new EP, this is absolutely screamo (not trashing it, I love TDWP and they put on an amazing show).

The Devil Wears Prada - Outnumbered (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrlm84f8XZE)

Its more "Hardcore" then anything. I have seen them twice though..they feel more "Hardcore" to me...just my opinion.

HystericalNaked
07-28-2010, 11:56 PM
I listen to a few post hardcore bands (I bloody love Capín Jazz and Braid - people still remember them?) but have never really been able to get into screamo.

I donít mind songs that get a bit shouty, but screamo seems a bit monotonous. Iím not sure how effectively you can vary mood between songs when youíre always screaming; it seems suited to only one mood. I canít, for example, imagine any of Nick Drakeís songs being as moving or poignant if he had screamed through them... would be interesting though.

Maybe Iím wrong, I am sure someone will tell me I am ;)

TVthePunisher
07-29-2010, 12:45 AM
Screaming ruins some songs in my opinion, such as Atreyu's music...whenever the drummer sings, it's amazing...but if the "frontman" screams it kind of ruins a few portions of their good songs.

Overall I just hate screaming in songs, it's an excuse for anybody who CAN'T sing to be a vocalist...if you're good at screaming at somebody, but sounding like a beast more than just a pissed off asshole...then you'll be fine screaming in a band today. If there was zero singing but the harder instruements that acompany it, and more people singing with their "Chorus" vocals...that would make a great band and especially a wonderful song.

Killswitch Engage is in the metal genre (or classified otherwise), the lead singer has an AMAZING voice but he also uses screams in there...if he dropped the screams, their songs would be THAT MUCH better. Screaming is just terrible for amazing instruements...IT REALLY hurts a good song.

Enough of my rant.

DocRevolt
07-29-2010, 01:46 AM
This makes the entire thread fail.

No, but seriously. I don't think I really listen to any screamo. Screaming vocals annoy me.
I never said I liked Brokencyde. I said they exist.

BedCommando
07-29-2010, 05:44 AM
Die in a fire.
Oh, and learn to scream properly.

BarbaricGoose
07-29-2010, 10:04 PM
If crunkcore is a part of screamo, it's the worst thing to ever happen to music ever.

There could be some sort of 9/11/Hitler/Rwanda catastrophe in the music industry, and that would do less damage than screamo has done.

Tussell
07-29-2010, 10:05 PM
If crunkcore is a part of screamo, it's the worst thing to ever happen to music ever.

There could be some sort of 9/11/Hitler/Rwanda catastrophe in the music industry, and that would do less damage than screamo has done.
It would be really cool if we got a lot of people to commit a mass genocide on all members throughout the screamo genre from the past five years. :D

Neverender
07-30-2010, 03:23 PM
If there was zero singing but the harder instruements that acompany it, and more people singing with their "Chorus" vocals...that would make a great band and especially a wonderful song.
There is music like that, but it's not very common. A lot of post-hardcore bands have songs like that, but they have a lot more songs where they scream than when they don't. You have to dig through their catalogs to find the songs, but they're there. Here are some good ones as proof:
YouTube- A Day To Remember - NJ Legion Iced Tea
YouTube- Close Your Eyes - Arms Raised - We Will Overcome
YouTube- Broadway - Meg Ryan Would Play You In The Movie
YouTube- A SKYLIT DRIVE RUNNING WITH THE LIGHT Lyrics

Crunkcore isn't really music, it's just shit. It's like musical cancer, but worse. If the poll was only about crunkcore, then I would've chosen it's the worst thing to ever happen to music

DocRevolt
07-31-2010, 04:52 AM
Neverender, thank you for adding those vids, all those songs are amazing. And agreed, crunkcore is bullshit.

thezest
07-31-2010, 04:57 PM
Off Topic: I really wish Brokencyde would just die in a fire...the whole group!
:woop::woop::woop:

thumbs up for that!

anyone who likes screamo, check out my band please!
myspace.com/wemovemts

Neverender
07-31-2010, 10:56 PM
Neverender, thank you for adding those vids, all those songs are amazing. And agreed, crunkcore is bullshit.
No problem. Like I said, there are more songs like that (hardcore music without screaming), but I'm too lazy to go through my iPod and find all of them. If you go through post-hardcore bands' albums, you should be able to find a good deal of them. Broadway (see video above) rarely screams, so their album is worth checking out if you liked them.

anyone who likes screamo, check out my band please!
myspace.com/wemovemts
I listened to the song on there, it was pretty good. Also, I noticed it sounds pretty high quality, which isn't common for an unsigned band. Most of the time, unsigned bands don't take the time to record/mix properly and the songs sound like crap, but I'm glad you did take the time.

DocRevolt
08-01-2010, 06:43 AM
No problem. Like I said, there are more songs like that (hardcore music without screaming), but I'm too lazy to go through my iPod and find all of them. If you go through post-hardcore bands' albums, you should be able to find a good deal of them. Broadway (see video above) rarely screams, so their album is worth checking out if you liked them.
Well I'm already quite a big fan of ADTR and Skylit Drive, but I didn't really know Broadway or Close Your Eyes. I'll definitely give them a listen.

And while we're on the topic of good unsigned screamo bands, check out my friend's band if you feel like it. They're amazingly good. http://www.myspace.com/beyondxthexdivine

Thehefferkiller
08-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Is it bad i consider Job for a Cowboy weak? Yet, i enjoy TDWP, which is far weaker than JFAC. if that sums up my listening choice, i don't know what does. but i also listen to a lot of indie music, such as modest mouse, arcade fire. classic metal (megadeth, slayer, metallica, iron maiden, judas priest) are also music i really enjoy. Screamo like bring me the horizon and a day to remember, absolute garbage. oli sykes voice is just terrible and all the songs are just blast beats with riffing named after stupid internet meme's. so it boils down to death metal/melodeath instead of screamo.

EDIT: i just read TVthepunishers words. not true. try and do a bree and make it sound good? screams don't mean you have shitty vocals, infact it can be quite the opposite. listen to entombment of a machine by Job, all the vocals are jonny davy, even the girl-like scream at the beginning-ish. on the other hand, some bands like atreyu and KSE use screaming and it just sounds terrible.

Tussell
08-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Is it bad i consider Job for a Cowboy weak?
No, but weak is an understatement. They're fucking terrible.

Scenester
08-01-2010, 09:18 PM
*quick rant*
Screamo is NOT a music genre. Most of the bands you listed are in the genres of metalcore, hardcore, post-hardcore, etc.
*/quick rant*
But my favorite band in any of these genres would have to be the ones with more clean vocals in it, Broadway, A Day to Remember, Sleeping With Sirens, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, etc.
I'll still listen to AttackAttack!, Asking Alexandria, Alesana, TDWP, Beneath the Empire, Here I Come Falling, etc.
But I think the crunkcore shit should just crawl in a bush somewhere and die.

oDrPepper
08-02-2010, 08:15 PM
After all that has been mentioned in this thread I'm going to take 'Screamo' as anything that screams. I find that the term 'Screamo' is mainly used by people who do not like harsh vocals, I've even seen Nile being attacked in a statement saying "I hate this Screamo shit...".

In the sense that the thread is using, Screamo could in fact be one of the worst things to happen to music if we're looking at BrokenCYDE and Blood on the Dance Floor. However, it has also given birth to a lot of music I love such as Dance Gavin Dance (Jonny Craig Era). I do think it's pathetic how a band doesn't even have to be musically talented in this kind of music though, for example Bring Me The Horizon being carried by the hordes of teen girls who are crushing on Oli Sykes.

That's the way I see it anyway, although a lot of people in this thread would probably bash me for some of the stuff I listen to, Killswitch Engage being a prime example.

Majica8
08-02-2010, 11:13 PM
I can't really stand it to be honest. Having said that I will listen to some. By some I mean maybe 10 songs that I can listen to.

Most the time I hate it, and refuse to call it music. Something like "Visions" is the worst pile of crap in the world. When you can't even understand what is being screamed than it all just becomes very pointless.

Neverender
08-03-2010, 11:42 PM
Well I'm already quite a big fan of ADTR and Skylit Drive, but I didn't really know Broadway or Close Your Eyes. I'll definitely give them a listen.

And while we're on the topic of good unsigned screamo bands, check out my friend's band if you feel like it. They're amazingly good. http://www.myspace.com/beyondxthexdivine
They were good, but a little higher quality recording would've gone a long way (IMO). And if you liked the bands I mentioned, check out Burden of a Day, Drop Dead Gorgeous, Agraceful, For Today, I See Stars, Of Mice & Men, We are the Ocean, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, Sleeping with Sirens, Therefore I Am, Underoath, Vanna, and Worthwhile. All are great post-hardcore bands.

SharksInYourMouth
08-03-2010, 11:48 PM
I went with "Listen to nothing but it, it's the best stuff ever" because it's true. :)

Parkway Drive ftw!

JrdRIOT
08-04-2010, 12:15 AM
I'm a huge fan of Post-Hardcore/Metalcore ect.
My favourite band with screaming vocals in at the moment has to be Asking Alexandria.

BloodLust3
08-04-2010, 04:19 AM
Screaming ruins some songs in my opinion, such as Atreyu's music...whenever the drummer sings, it's amazing...but if the "frontman" screams it kind of ruins a few portions of their good songs.

Overall I just hate screaming in songs, it's an excuse for anybody who CAN'T sing to be a vocalist...if you're good at screaming at somebody, but sounding like a beast more than just a pissed off asshole...then you'll be fine screaming in a band today. If there was zero singing but the harder instruements that acompany it, and more people singing with their "Chorus" vocals...that would make a great band and especially a wonderful song.

Killswitch Engage is in the metal genre (or classified otherwise), the lead singer has an AMAZING voice but he also uses screams in there...if he dropped the screams, their songs would be THAT MUCH better. Screaming is just terrible for amazing instruements...IT REALLY hurts a good song.

Enough of my rant.

I disagree with you, making a scream sound good takes just as much effort/talent as making your voice sound good when you sing. I especially like Howard Jones' (Killswitch Engage) voice and scream because his scream sounds really good and you can still hear the lyrics perfectly.

Also from what you've said about not liking screaming but you love the singing and music - I recommend a band called Exit Ten to you, in particular their song called Remember The Day. Their vocalist uses nothing but clean vocals and the music is just as heavy as KSE =]

TVthePunisher
08-04-2010, 04:22 AM
I disagree with you, making a scream sound good takes just as much effort/talent as making your voice sound good when you sing. I especially like Howard Jones' (Killswitch Engage) voice and scream because his scream sounds really good and you can still hear the lyrics perfectly.

Also from what you've said about not liking screaming but you love the singing and music - I recommend a band called Exit Ten to you, in particular their song called Remember The Day. Their vocalist uses nothing but clean vocals and the music is just as heavy as KSE =]

Thanks for the recommendation =D yeah Howad's scream is actually one that I prefer now that I think back on it...while I feel some of their songs might sound better (different opinion than yours of course and I respect it) if he didn't use that much screaming and more clean vocals, his screaming does not turn me away from otherwise good songs. I can even look past the screaming and kind of enjoy it with the feel of the song when he does it.

Thehefferkiller
08-04-2010, 05:06 AM
I must say i do enjoy their Doom EP, but aside from Day In Black (which isn't even an official recording), all there other music is pretty generic.

Sniper Riflez
08-04-2010, 08:05 AM
They're not terrible just repetitive as fuck, you never know where you are in the song and their vocalist isn't that good.

HAK Devil
08-04-2010, 01:29 PM
Don't know enough about screamo but all the stuff that some of my friends have linked me to have been nothing but a painful assault on my ears.

mrszeeeze
08-06-2010, 11:24 PM
For me, it really depends on the specific song. If I can't understand one word in the vocals, I won't listen to it. Or if it just sounds like a bunch of grunting. But if it's mostly clean vocals with the occasional scream, that's fine.

Also, crunkcore is the worst thing ever. Brokencyde don't even deserve to be called a band, let alone musicians. Same with Blood on the Dance Floor. That entire scene is crap.

Smoochy
08-07-2010, 03:01 PM
I love real screamo. Bands like: Orchid, Noisy Sins Of The Insect, Neil Perry, Suis La Lune, La Quite, Touche Amore, and others. They had/have so much passion in their music.

This modern definition of "screamo" is awful. I like my grindcore, death metal, tech death, metalcore, and other genres with all screaming vocals. But shit like BrokenCYDE, BMTH, Alesana, and other bands that get the "screamo" tag don't have shit on real screamo and are a disgrace to music.

Same goes for the modern definition of emo and post-hardcore. All these genres have went to hell because the godfathers of the genre have long since broken up and a new generation has taken the names and fucked everything up.

gnuboarder369
08-07-2010, 03:05 PM
Without a doubt it depends on singer there is a lot of crud out there that i cant stand listening to, while on the other end of the spectrum there are a lot of groups i cant stop listening to

StW
08-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Picked the third one. I use to listen to it for a bit, but haven't recently been listening to it.

Stufin135
08-07-2010, 06:23 PM
I voted "the worst thing to happen to music" since it isn't actually a genre and just combines a load of bands that happen to include screams.Saying that my fav band are The Used (post Hardcore) and they would go under the genre "screamo", I also like The Refused a bit. But that is it really.

Neverender
08-07-2010, 07:58 PM
I voted "the worst thing to happen to music" since it isn't actually a genre and just combines a load of bands that happen to include screams.Saying that my fav band are The Used (post Hardcore) and they would go under the genre "screamo", I also like The Refused a bit. But that is it really.

The Used isn't post-hardcore. They're more like alternative rock or emo. Post-Hardcore has a lot more bass pedal, heavier guitars, and usually (but not always) more screaming.

Anyway, I think that putting Brokencyde in the first post was a mistake. Most everyone (including me) hates crunkcore.

xCALLOOMx
08-07-2010, 08:20 PM
I think this also depends on what your own definition of Screamo music is.

I always associated Screamo with the emo kids: big fringes and music that isn't the heaviest ever with screaming about girlfriends or whatever.

I mean, at the minute I'm more into my new hardcore, UKHC bands in general like Brutality Will Prevail and Last Witness. As well as stuff like Carpathian and Modern Life Is war.

By some people's definition, that would be classed as "Screamo", but I would never associate the two.

It depends on your own perception and opinion of what Screamo is.

WRappiii
08-09-2010, 10:06 AM
Well if deathcore is considered a form of screamo (i hope not) then i guess i like it

im talkin carnifex, chelsea grin, oceano, suicide silence blah blah blah

but screamo is just terrible

B1GM13
08-09-2010, 10:25 AM
i Love it.

all i listened to at college and the majority of my cd collection consists of.

i like how you've broken it down to fit all the bands in.

Senses Fail, Silverstien, Story of the year, Emery, Hawethorne Heights, Rise Against, The Bled, Fall Of Troy, Enter Shikari, 36 Crazyfists....

love it, really do.

of course i like other bands / catagories of music like SOAD, Maiden, Bullet, Rage, Metallica, Bloodhound Gang, Limp Bizkit, Blink...

i just like alot of music in general heh.

Dan.Pro
08-11-2010, 03:54 AM
It really just depends on the music band. By this I mean, the singer(s) that is/are screaming and the music that goes with it.

I kinda like a lot Sonic syndicate for screamings.

They are well accompagned and not too frequent. (depending of the song)

If I listen to a song and the lead signer doesn't stop to scream and we can't understand one freaking word that he says, I find that horrible and honestly it's doesn't appeal me in any ways.

DocRevolt
08-11-2010, 05:43 AM
Anyway, I think that putting Brokencyde in the first post was a mistake. Most everyone (including me) hates crunkcore.
Seconded, people won't shut up about crunkcore now. I'm not gonna edit it out though, as now that it's in the topic there's no getting away from it.

Tussell
08-11-2010, 11:02 AM
... all there other music is pretty generic.
Like most of the recent music that has been released in this general genre...

Miasma
08-11-2010, 09:10 PM
I mean, at the minute I'm more into my new hardcore, UKHC bands in general like Brutality Will Prevail and Last Witness. As well as stuff like Carpathian and Modern Life Is war.

By some people's definition, that would be classed as "Screamo", but I would never associate the two.

It depends on your own perception and opinion of what Screamo is.

Basically this.
To me screamo is stuff like Enter Shikari, etc. I don't use the term as a sweeping generalization of music with screaming in it.

Also, I've never heard of, or heard anything by Brokencyde. I take it this is a good thing?

Tussell
08-11-2010, 09:17 PM
Also, I've never heard of, or heard anything by Brokencyde. I take it this is a good thing?
Very, very, very much so!

rvlution
08-11-2010, 10:43 PM
I hate screamo. There are other genres I hate more which keeps me from choosing "it's the worst thing to happen to music" though.

JDAckers
08-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Used to avoid it like the plague, but there are a few bands that can use it well. Like envy.

Scenester
08-12-2010, 04:04 PM
The Used isn't post-hardcore. They're more like alternative rock or emo. Post-Hardcore has a lot more bass pedal, heavier guitars, and usually (but not always) more screaming.

If you're talking about the REAL kind of emo(Fugazi, Rights of Spring,etc) then no. But you're talking about what people today think is 'emo' then I guess so.

TwO1FouR
08-12-2010, 04:15 PM
I can tolerate some of it but I really don't like it unless I can actually understand what they're saying.

tylerlee823
08-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Some of it is alright, it all depends on the singer and the rhythm of the instruments.

.MaTTHeW
08-14-2010, 12:28 AM
Too me I think of Screemo/Metalcore/Heavy-ass-metal that contains some screaming like this:

I fucking love it, if you don't go listen too your gay love (Just Beiber), listen to a crackhead (Keisha), go cut your wrist some more you redneck (Sad Country Songs), or get shot at (50 cent - FTL?).

Now I'm not dissing all the formentioned, I like a little country, Keisha no matter what is a crack head, 50 cent is a shit rapper and can burn in hell but other rappers are cool.

I don't disrespect your music until you disrespect mine. Very simply.
People say, "Screemo is the devils music!" Excuse me? I'm pretty sure there are at least eight-Christian screemo bands. They said Metal was the Devils music too! So shut the hell up, and enjoy my shit, or get out of my room/car.

laundryman
08-14-2010, 06:17 AM
Don't care for it in the slightest. I listen to some songs that have a bit of screaming, but I can't stand anything that revolves around the entire concept.

How anyone listens to it blows my mind.

Bloo
08-14-2010, 08:34 PM
I chose the worst thing that could happen to music. The vocals are horrid in "Screamo" and is closely related to Metalcore, and Metalcore is like the pop of Metal.. it should have never been invented. I like some newer types of metal but I'd say stick with old school Death Metal and not this new shit.
Necrophagist fan for life. <3

xdisturbedx666
08-14-2010, 09:57 PM
Suicide Silence FTW!!! Most of the bands I listen to are heavy on the vocals but it really depends on the vocalist because the music behind the singer could be amazing(since im a drummer, i tend to enjoy listening to the beats) but if the singers voice annoys me i simply cant listen to it no matter how good the beats are. I enjoy TDWP, Slipknot, Trivium, KSE and so on but bands like slayer i just cant deal with. Thats just my input. \m/

Miscs
08-17-2010, 11:43 PM
Screamo is the best. Bands that scream are awesome :D
I can understand why some people hate it cuz its all angry, aggressive, hate stuff. But its awesome IMO :)

Chevron411
08-17-2010, 11:59 PM
Screamo = misperception of hardcore punk and heavy metal born unto pop generations thereafter, and is considered a genre by the less musically inclined.

There's a bit of a history here -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cookie_Monster_vocals#History_and_variations

Takes a while, but some bands like Windir you can actually understand after listening to something like Decapitated and Necrophagist. Nile and Suicide Silence are pretty much the only two bands whos' vocals drive me insane. Most metalcore acts are pretty intelligible. All the founders of melodic deathmetal are fairly understandable, and that's prior to In Flames' shift to the limbo between melodeath and metalcore.

Vocals aside, metal is just a heavier and somewhat more intracate version of the blues. There's a bog standard blues guitar riff in 'Spheres of Madness' by Decapitated.

Metalcore/post-hardcore is really enjoyable, especially with clean female vocals between the growls, and rasps.

Rant complete.

DocRevolt
10-06-2010, 04:21 AM
Woah, a lot of anger cropped up in this thread since I last left it... Interesting.

Coadster1
10-10-2010, 04:52 AM
I like it a lot, but it's not the only good type of music, IMO.

tandrel
10-18-2010, 01:04 AM
Don't like "Screamo" but I love everything from grindcore to random stuff like waking the cadaver (don't know their genre because they are a semi-unique kinda deathcorey band, I don't know. Check them out though.)

Andreas_loel
10-20-2010, 07:50 AM
Brokencyde = crunkcore if im not mistaken lol
They are fucking horrible which makes me like them, dont ask me why ><

Currently im listening to Alesanaīs latest album, fucking awesome album.

littlemissymoo
02-04-2011, 03:45 PM
From A Day to Remember to Alesana to The Devil Wears Prada, Enter Shikari to Escape the Fate - proper love all these bands.

I listen to all music but seem to like screamo style. I am not keen on all this classic metal instead

girl poison
02-05-2011, 07:03 PM
I voted for: It really depends on the vocalist and the music which accompanies it.

I'm pretty picky about things like that. I don't like whiney girly emo voices that sounds like they're choking on tears when they get to the chorus, and I'm not a fan of deathcore, like Bring Me The Horizon or Whitechapel. I like vocals that sound fierce, confident, and are somewhat understandable. For the style of music I like, it is probably most accurately described as metalcore. My favourite screaming band is August Burns Red but I also like All That Remains, In This Moment, In Flames, A Day To Remember, The Devil Wears Prada, We Came As Romans, and probably a couple of other groups I don't listen to as much.

UK Dennis
02-05-2011, 11:56 PM
My favourite screaming band is August Burns Red but I also like All That Remains, In This Moment, In Flames, A Day To Remember, The Devil Wears Prada, We Came As Romans, and probably a couple of other groups I don't listen to as much.

Some great bands there. All That Remains are amazing, and so is A Day To Remember. In Flames are okay and i can listen to them without a problem.
Im not sure if they are screamo but Killswitch Engage are another great band. Bullet for my valentine have their moments but are still amazing.
Avenged Sevenfolds First album (Waking the Fallen) has some screamo in it and is awesome

girl poison
02-06-2011, 05:02 AM
Some great bands there. All That Remains are amazing, and so is A Day To Remember. In Flames are okay and i can listen to them without a problem.
Im not sure if they are screamo but Killswitch Engage are another great band. Bullet for my valentine have their moments but are still amazing.
Avenged Sevenfolds First album (Waking the Fallen) has some screamo in it and is awesome

I don't like KSE, at least not their newest album- that's the one I've heard the most. I don't like the vocalists voice and I'm not a fan of their general sound. I like two songs by BFMV and that's really all I've heard by them.

Albinobass
02-06-2011, 06:35 AM
all i listen to, cant get enough of it. all day everyday. im an angry person lmao. and there are only 4 other ppl? thought there'd be more lol

Edit: and well there are a lot of bands out there that i dont like but most of it i think is pretty bad ass

LeGrimmReaper13
02-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Screaming ruins some songs in my opinion

Overall I just hate screaming in songs, it's an excuse for anybody who CAN'T sing to be a vocalist...if you're good at screaming at somebody, but sounding like a beast more than just a pissed off asshole...then you'll be fine screaming in a band today.

I agree with your first statement.

However, screaming does take talent. Scream wrong, not only does it sound like shit, but it also damages your vocal chords terribly; scream properly and not only does it sound much better, but also you will be able to speak normally when you are done (and forever more).

My opinion is that it really depends on the vocalist, some are terrible and ruin their band. The music also makes a huge difference, if the music behind the vocalist is terrible and difficult to listen to (or covers up the vocalist) it also ruins the band.

Examples of what I listen to:
Five Finger Death Punch
Bullet for my Valentine
As I Lay Dying
The Devil Wears Prada
Slipknot
Avenged Sevenfold
Lamb of God

boostracer
02-11-2011, 12:11 PM
However, screaming does take talent. Scream wrong, not only does it sound like shit, but it also damages your vocal chords terribly; scream properly and not only does it sound much better, but also you will be able to speak normally when you are done (and forever more).

This.
I started getting into screaming when I was about 13, so I've been screaming for 4 years now. When I first started out I had no technique and almost blew out my vocal chords.

As I Lay Dying and "Alive or Just Breathing" Killswitch Engage got me into screaming. I personally prefer Jesse Leach's screaming to Howard's.

I can't fucking stand Suicide Silence. Their music is repetitive and unoriginal.

Some of the bands I like/love whose songs have screaming in them:
As I Lay Dying
KSE
August Burns Red
Lamb of God
Opeth
Arch Enemy
Five Finger Death Punch
Chimaira
All That Remains
Children of Bodom
The Black Dahlia Murder

Velvet Kao
03-15-2011, 02:08 AM
I like it sometimes

Gorilla Stomper
03-15-2011, 02:33 AM
As I Lay Dying
KSE
August Burns Red
Lamb of God
Opeth
Arch Enemy
Five Finger Death Punch
Chimaira
All That Remains
Children of Bodom
The Black Dahlia Murder

Inb4 somebody associates these bands with screamo.

Screamo = misperception of hardcore punk and heavy metal born unto pop generations thereafter, and is considered a genre by the less musically inclined.

Truth.

Nile and Suicide Silence are pretty much the only two bands whos' vocals drive me insane.

Mitch Lucker is annoying as fuck. What makes him even more annoying is that he actually distorts his vocals, so he's also a cheater. He also needs a haircut.

Karl Sanders and Dallas Toller-Wade are beasts in their own right. Fair enough you don't like their vocals, but if you think about it, would Nile sound right with different vocal styles?

snazzyskier
03-15-2011, 02:37 AM
I like shouting, not screaming.

KillerChris8814
03-21-2011, 12:35 PM
I love real screamo. Bands like: Orchid, Noisy Sins Of The Insect, Neil Perry, Suis La Lune, La Quite, Touche Amore, and others. They had/have so much passion in their music.

This modern definition of "screamo" is awful. I like my grindcore, death metal, tech death, metalcore, and other genres with all screaming vocals. But shit like BrokenCYDE, BMTH, Alesana, and other bands that get the "screamo" tag don't have shit on real screamo and are a disgrace to music.

Same goes for the modern definition of emo and post-hardcore. All these genres have went to hell because the godfathers of the genre have long since broken up and a new generation has taken the names and fucked everything up.

:whsExactly what he said.:whs

Andreas_loel
03-24-2011, 01:33 PM
How did In Flames and All that remains turn into screamo? O_O

It feels good to see In Flames getting some love outside sweden but dont call em screamo :P

Smoochy
03-24-2011, 01:42 PM
I wish this term wasn't thrown around so loosley. Skramz bands (real screamo bands that were popular in the early to late 90's) are amazing.

The modern term for screamo (which is anything with any sort of screaming in it) is 80% garbage.

Epic Debaser
03-24-2011, 09:19 PM
Don't care for it in the slightest. I listen to some songs that have a bit of screaming, but I can't stand anything that revolves around the entire concept.

How anyone listens to it blows my mind.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts as well, some bands I listen to like Linkin Park, Lostprophets, Enter Shikari use screaming sometimes but I can't listen to it all the time :(

oDrPepper
03-30-2011, 04:54 AM
All of you guys who say you don't like screamo, see how you handle this little ditty.

YouTube - Converge - Axe To Fall

EDIT: Just realised the context in which I used screamo, this song isn't screamo but I was referring to the people that call anything with harsh vocals 'screamo'.

iiTzHoLiC
04-03-2011, 07:14 PM
*quick rant*
Screamo is NOT a music genre. Most of the bands you listed are in the genres of metalcore, hardcore, post-hardcore, etc.
*/quick rant*

THANK YOU

Hardcore used to be all that I listened to before I started driving. Now it's mostly hip-hop. Hardcore for the gym definitely.

PS whoever has that Stick to your Guns signature, +1

Jondude20
04-03-2011, 07:27 PM
I'd rather listen to screamo that rap anyday, but I don't like either. The only screamo I like is when there's like an orchestra accompanying and you can actually understand what the guy's saying, kinda like Red (if they're considered screamo). When they're just screaming their lungs out and the guitar is so distorted, it's just obnoxious. :/

Neverender
04-03-2011, 10:58 PM
Quick Genre Generalizations:
Hardcore = Screaming vocals, chuggy riffs, lots of double bass drums (Ex. Terror)
Post-Hardcore = Hardcore that occasionally slows down or switches to a different style of music, usually accompanied by a higher pitch voice (Ex. We Came as Romans)
Metalcore = Heavy hardcore; Fusion of metal and hardcore (Ex. Stick to Your Guns)
Easycore = Hardcore, but with a primarily pop-punk style vocalist that only occasionally screams (Ex. Chunk! No, Captain Chunk!)
Emo = Mainstream alternative with a hint of either pop-punk or hardcore elements or influence (Ex. Jimmy Eat World)
Screamo = Emo with screaming (Ex. older albums by The Used)

PS whoever has that Stick to your Guns signature, +1
+1 to you for recognizing it. :)

blue452
04-04-2011, 10:54 PM
It depends on the artist and their style.

Expyrious
04-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Oke try this one:

Suffocate for Fuck Sake

That's the only screamo band I listen to really. Combined with post-metal, it is very good.

Mosizzle313
04-06-2011, 04:36 AM
I enjoy a lot of hardcore music when i GO TO SHOWS. A lot of it don't listen on my own because its just not the same as it is live. The crowd and environment make screamo music a lot better.

ShawnSig
04-07-2011, 03:57 AM
I don't really know of any Screamo or Hardcore bands(Unless Alexisonfire is Hardcore). This one kid at school told me that he didn't like Disturbed because he said it was screamo music... Well, David Draiman does a lot of deep growls in his songs but they're music is hard rock/alt metal, definitely not screamo.
Trivium's early music, Ascendancy & Ember To Inferno is probably the closest thing to screamo I've listened to.

Ev0lon
04-07-2011, 04:04 AM
Not really a huge fan; Like a couple bands that do some screaming, don't really know if you can count these but: All That Remains, Atreyu, BFMV to name a couple... But yeah I can tolerate it to a point, unless I'm at the gym then its all I listen too

Tinysmitty
04-07-2011, 04:34 AM
Slipknot is ok

ZackNovak
04-07-2011, 04:53 AM
Well I can't hate on screamo because it led me to music I listen to today. (More deathmetal and "legit" metal bands)

EMP
04-07-2011, 08:02 PM
I just think screamo is just terrible and hard to listen to... just my opinion.

Foxxy kyle
04-09-2011, 12:33 AM
I really dislike it alot because its not the worst thing thats ever happened to music. Rap is.