PDA

View Full Version : I just accidentally deleted all my save data...

Hurball
07-29-2010, 02:57 PM
...on the delete profile page, I hit the option that said "delete profile and items" by mistake, then looked in horror as the deleting bar came up.

But I jumped and hammered the power button on the Xbox. My profile is currently being recovered. Please please please let the save data all still be there...

Updated:
At first it seemed as if everything bar my profile had been unaffected, but a few games have had their saves deleted (only a few though, far from the damage that could've been caused). No notice of any corrupt data surprisingly.

I think it deletes stuff in chronological order, so I've lost old saves (e.g. BioShock) which since I 100%ed most of the old stuff anyway won't matter.

Only a few annoying things: One of them is all my Guitar Hero III data, which means if I ever want to 5* all the expert songs, I'll have to start from scratch rather than perfect the 2 I still needed, but I stopped playing those games ages ago. Also all my Halo 3 film clips are gone. With Reach out soon, it's no big loss.

So yeah, very lucky overall. But if you do hit that option by mistake, you may as well turn off the console, at the very worst you've still lost all your data, but there's a chance you'll have some of it back.

Kamakazi Pear
07-29-2010, 02:58 PM
If you turned off the xbox as it was deleting the stuff, chances are it has corrupted the data anyway.

But hey, I hope you still have your saves! :eek: I'd die if I did that..

Bleeding Star
07-29-2010, 03:06 PM
It wont be there and if it is it will be corrupted

Recovering your GT wouldn't recover saved data anyways, check your hard drive in the memory section of the My Xbox

hodge
07-29-2010, 03:08 PM
Yep, chances are that your data will be corrupted. That's if it's even there still. If it is there and working fine, then you are very lucky indeed!

Anyway, I hope every is ok still!

Hurball
07-29-2010, 03:19 PM
Proving all the doubters (including myself) wrong, it appears as if everything is okay! Alan Wake stuff is all still there, arcade games, videos, the lot. Not noticed any corrupt data so far, so I'm guessing I cut the power before the Xbox got around to deleting any actual data besides the profile.

Anyhow, lucky escape. I won't be doing that again... :)

KeepEmRolling
07-29-2010, 03:19 PM
Wow, man....good luck with that. The only thing I've ever done like that is accidently delete my Halo3 save and that was bad enough.

Hurball
07-29-2010, 03:23 PM
It would've been insane if it'd deleted anything to be honest. I was one manuscript away from everything in Alan Wake, wouldn't want to have had to go get them all again.

Then theres Red Dead, Seriously 2.0, and a whole lot of other stuff I haven't even thought of...

JrdRIOT
07-29-2010, 04:03 PM
I had to recover my profile as for some reason it corrupted, i accidentally clicked 'delete profile and items' as soon as i did, i shot up, and pulled out my HDD and my Memory Card.

Everything was safe as it froze my xbox so it didn't have a chance to delete it.

TsarBlandi
07-29-2010, 04:24 PM
man you gota have some ninja like reflexes, i have to say... bravo, bravo indeed

Eksy
07-29-2010, 05:44 PM
You are one lucky duck.
I'm glad that didn't turn into a horror story. :]

Burnout x360a
07-29-2010, 05:49 PM
That was a really lucky escape dude, make sure you double check next time eh :p

luffy
07-29-2010, 06:00 PM
If you turned off the xbox as it was deleting the stuff, chances are it has corrupted the data anyway.

But hey, I hope you still have your saves! :eek: I'd die if I did that..

totally agreed, if you turned your xbox off during any process, and not to say this is only for xbox, this goes to all consoles, anyhow the chances of getting a corrupted data is totally 89%, by recovering you may get a little least saves.

good luck anyway.

tweak4ever
07-29-2010, 06:07 PM
wow, that sucks, Im so sorry

Remp2012
07-29-2010, 06:17 PM
yea dude if u just sut it off u will lose every thing there.

Burnout x360a
07-29-2010, 06:19 PM
He's already said that he managed to save it somehow :p

Besides, none of the saves can be recovered by recovering your gamertag.

Nlkuysdf
07-29-2010, 06:28 PM
totally agreed, if you turned your xbox off during any process, and not to say this is only for xbox, this goes to all consoles, anyhow the chances of getting a corrupted data is totally 89%, by recovering you may get a little least saves.

good luck anyway.

Are you sure on that 89%? I thought it was 87%.

Evo Kazz
07-29-2010, 06:30 PM
This is why I backup every gaming session to Memory Unit.

Telexen
07-29-2010, 06:42 PM
I've done this no fewer than 5 times. (I switch 360s a lot)

I now back them up twice weekly onto memory cards.

There is no excuse for MS to have the option to delete a profile WITH saved games directly above "No" where users are normally expecting "Yes". It needs to be swapped with deleting the profile without saved games.

Halfhoot
07-29-2010, 06:46 PM
Ouch... man I'd hate to think about losing all my game save data... *shudder*

Hurball
07-29-2010, 07:00 PM
I've done this no fewer than 5 times. (I switch 360s a lot)

I now back them up twice weekly onto memory cards.

There is no excuse for MS to have the option to delete a profile WITH saved games directly above "No" where users are normally expecting "Yes". It needs to be swapped with deleting the profile without saved games.
That's why I did it, hit "up" on the pad expecting Yes to be above Cancel, then hit "A" without thinking.

There should DEFINITELY be an "are you sure you want to delete all your save data? Really???" message after you hit that choice. Why that's not there is unbelievable.

gerryb10
08-07-2010, 01:40 PM
i did the exact same thing every save gone, nearly had batman 100% and in oblivion had 1060 of 1250, also all my fallout 3 saves gone. This is a massive flaw in the system and should be removed. Also there's no ''are you sure'' message when you press on on it. Really annoyed :mad:

Panda
08-07-2010, 02:00 PM
I have done the EXACT same thing. I also lost my Guitar Hero III data like you.

I pulled the MU out during the process and only lost a few game saves.

Luckily the only SP achievement I still needed was 100mil Career but still, it's such a pain in the ass to lose over 100hrs worth of data.

They seriously need to put something in because it's far too easy to make this mistake and lose potentially hundreds of hours worth of data.

Kairi
08-07-2010, 03:17 PM
Aw, I know how you feel. When I signed up for Xbox Live, for some reason I eneded up losing everything I had. I hated having to play through everything all over again, I still havent done some of the stuff yet D:

Im glad to hear you didnt lose most of your stuff. That would have been absolutely horrible if you did :(

StW
08-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Good to know you got your stuff back but some saves, it would suck if you lost everything...

mrj3d
08-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Wow, close call there man!

This is exactly why I need to get myself one of those flash drives to backup to. I'd die if I lost all my saves. :p

XProHunter
08-07-2010, 05:04 PM
damn, that was lucky, next time you know what not to do ;)

BemusedBox
08-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Ive lost saves before i always back them up now.