PDA

View Full Version : Challenge Mode

Rath552
07-29-2010, 09:13 PM
I saw challenge mode and decided to try it out and it turned out to be far from what I expected, teaches you the basics of a characters such as moves and distortions, then goes into their combos from easy ones to extremely complex. After figuring this out I thought it was pretty cool so I decided to keep on doing it. Well I got to this combo and couldn't do it, I kept trying and trying and I could do it exactly like the demonstration showed but the last hit always missed. Was wondering what other people thought of challenge mode and if they had a problem like this.

FoxGuy3001
07-30-2010, 12:21 AM
Well, here is part of what I posted about the challenge achievement:
No honestly, I got to Challenge 10 for Bang and just cried...there are like 20 moves AFTER the Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan! Its all I could do to even keep him facing the right way after about the 10th input!

They do rely heavily on the animation canceling (not rapid cancel, though they like to make you do that to they at least tell you its there) which is why it seems like you can't go fast enough sometimes. They explain it in the tutorials but you really have to just take each move individually to figure out when the right moment is to cancel it.

Murasame_Moyasu
07-30-2010, 12:31 AM
I think I got 4/10 of Lambda's and 2-3 for everyone else. These are really hard lol, and I got all of the SF4 and SSF4 trials done. Guess I'm not used to the speed/jump combos.

hmashin
07-30-2010, 02:06 AM
You need to know how to play the character. Some challenge need very accuracy input (such as Hakumen) while the other need to delay a bit.

For example, one of Hazama's challenge, it tells you to do dash 5c after 214D. If you charge up 214D a bit, you have a lot of time to dash even you use Microsoft's controller.

Rath552
07-30-2010, 05:55 AM
Yeah they really stress practice makes perfect, the problem I was having is that I had to jump tiny bit higher because I use Taokaka and her combo's involve being in the air and I was hitting him right after I jumped because I was worried that if I took to long after the jump he would jump away.

AZNg0d104
07-31-2010, 01:33 PM
I hate Super jumps. It's why I don't like playing as C. Viper. Ibuki is fine for me though.

Guess we'll have to get used to it this time around.

muzykalscorpio
08-01-2010, 05:45 AM
I have done the first two for each character, pretty straight forward and basic, but I imagine they are gonna pick up very soon - that said, it also seems like a great way to help better learn and pick up a character - rinse and repeat a challenge or so, till you get it down pat ; and you basically add that to your arsenal.

(Another thing this has offered me is insight - I dislike playing characters who can't dash, haha.)

Ziggurat 9
08-03-2010, 06:17 PM
I haven't done very meny from different characters but when I sit down and actually do it I can can to 6-8 with no problem and those are tricky for me but I can usually do them.
I love challenges.

Azure Grimalkin
08-03-2010, 06:25 PM
ive done the first 7 for hazama, makoto, and ragna but some are just rediculous and bang recovers to fast imo

captain host
08-04-2010, 08:07 AM
Some challenge got some crazy input it make my brain melt and my finger cry O.o;

njiska
08-04-2010, 11:31 AM
I'm having a bitch of a time with any that involve a dash. Even Ragna's two in the Counters tutorial are proving to be a pain. Seems like half the time my dash either comes out as a walk or i end up with the 6(ABCD) attack. Any one got some advice for me? Using a SFIV TE Stick.

PinkyJustice
08-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Have you tried using the turbo setting? I know it's a big no-no for versus, but at this point are you just trying to get the achievement or get to the point where you will be using the short hops in actual versus gameplay?

If you care more about the achievement, pop on the auto-fire to max, try the dash and hold as soon as you let go of the stick to return it to neutral... It will take some time to adjust how long to press it so you don't get two pokes, but it should, if nothing else, help you get the timing for when to press it sans auto-fire.

SideDish120
08-04-2010, 03:55 PM
I think I got 4/10 of Lambda's and 2-3 for everyone else. These are really hard lol, and I got all of the SF4 and SSF4 trials done. Guess I'm not used to the speed/jump combos.
I did them all in SF4 too. I can't even begin to touch some of these because the combos are just so long.

Nei Debrusc
08-04-2010, 06:33 PM
I've only really tried Noel's challenges so far, but they're pretty complicated. I never really relied on these kinds of moves in CT, but maybe doing them here in CS will help me improve in the game overall. Maybe even give me a kicking chance in online matches.

Taiyz
08-04-2010, 08:07 PM
No, Nei. These combos are merely ideas for the players to work with. Almost all of these combos are totally bad ideas to use;

if you look at the existing combos, you can normally shorten them or make them much easier to pull of with other moves, sacrificing only a few hundred points of damage.

In some cases, there are much better ways of launching a combo from the starter that the game suggests. For example, the game suggests that if you do a backwards throw as Hazama, you should use Mizuchi Rekkazan, and that's that. That is not an effective use of Heat.

Instead, if you press D in the second half of the throw, you'll chain the enemy immediately, then you can hit D (or C for a crossup) to fly in, do a jB to keep your combo Red Beat, then land and use Jayoku Houtenjin (Serpent's Infernal Reapture.) After this, you don't even have to move to land a Zaneiga (Devouring Fang) and then you can do Hazama's usual gimmicks. JH is fairly easy to land and only does 300 points of damage less than MR, and if you complete the combo, you do 1.2k more damage than the MR combo.

The only reason why these combos are so hard, is that the game tries to go for the absolute highest damage, with the longest, most complete combo possible, hence why the majority of Ragna and Tager's challenges end with their 22 moves; it's for completeness. These little addons don't do much, but the game insists that you do them to prove that you can finish the "best" string possible, although there are still combos that you could do instead that are easier, shoter and/or do more damage.

Again using Hazama as an example, the game doesn't use his combo where you use 2C after Zaneiga (no 5C) and after one rep of jC, you land and do another 2C followed up by 4D leading to another two reps of jC.
It does slightly more damage than any of his other jC combos, but the game doesn't want you to take the shortcut of 2C after Zaneiga, instead wanting you do do a basic 5C or 5C into 2C into 4D immediately.

They could've made these challenges a lot better, but they are decent if you're completely clueless about a given character's ability to cancel moves (I for instance never figured out Ragna's jump-cancel combos until CS. It was too fast for me to figure out that it was jD before jC.)

Lucario Kitsune
08-08-2010, 06:36 AM
I'm completely convinced that Challenge Mode is a little messed up occasionally, I don't have any issue doing most of the combos, but a LOT of the time, they just decide not to work. I'll do them perfectly on time and hit Bang, but sometimes the combo will just reset like I missed or like I did something wrong and I KNOW I'm not.

Taiyz
08-08-2010, 08:12 AM
It's all in the timing, dude. It's a lot tighter than in CT.

Lucario Kitsune
08-08-2010, 08:59 AM
I've spent HOURS on certain ones though and do them perfectly, I'm so sure...Unless I'm losing my sanity.

Ziggurat 9
08-08-2010, 09:08 AM
I've spent HOURS on certain ones though and do them perfectly, I'm so sure...Unless I'm losing my sanity.

The tiniest thing can change from try to try that really changes it.

For example, I main Ragna and his BE is totally new to me. When I first started, whenever I did BE then they would pop out on the other side of me and tech instantly and I wouldnt be able to keep the juggle going. Then I learned I need to do the super jump cancel to always get the right height but sometimes it would get the intial hit and I would zoom down leaving them in the air. Then I had to put into my muscle memory a very specific set of attacks that work well with my timing and spacing because different attacks pushed him certain distances.

Now, I do: 5D, Dash, 5C, Super Jump Cancel, 5C, 5D, Jump, 5C, BE.
That very specific string ensures taht I always get the proper spacing and height to make sure BE acts as it is supposed to.

tl;dr version: Different timings are crucial. Experiment.

Taiyz
08-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Ziggy's hit the nail on the head. This is what I've been telling all my friends who rely too heavily on Challenge Mode; all these people you see dropping combos in Ranked are trying their best to use the combos they "learned" in Challenge Mode, but with a few tweaks and maybe a half hour in Training Mode to figure out the timing of certain moves (ie: How long after Zaneiga/Devouring Fang should I wait before knocking the enemy skyward, and what moves should I use to do so for the most combo-ability?) they could actually have a combo that may or may not do maybe 400 less points of damage, but one that they could pull off at any moment.

Early on I pretty much realized that I suck at super jumps, and practising with them only makes me hate them more, so I try and work around those. Every player will have their weaknesses, and honestly, not all of them can be overcome, but they can still be dealt with, by the afformentioned working around them; it just means that you've got some potential for if you ever want to step up your game even further.

However, as much as my statements apply to gameplay, they don't mean shit for Challenge Mode, which basically stresses the (almost) absolute best combo a character can perform after a given starter. Honestly, it'd be cool if they had like, "freestyle" sections in combos, where there were multiple ways of getting your opponent into a certain state so that the move after the "freestyle" section can connect.

Ziggurat 9
08-08-2010, 04:24 PM
I would be all over a freestyle combo challenge mode.
I would feel like a DJ.
Just one that beats the shit out of you instead.

Lymle
08-08-2010, 04:44 PM
I would be all over a freestyle combo challenge mode.
I would feel like a DJ.
Just one that beats the shit out of you instead.

Lol yeah a freestyle combo challenge mode would be awesome! I'm actually a little annoyed with challenge mode in this one but overall i'm not finding it too hard, i'm just a little lazy lol.

Also, in an unrelated topic note, hello Josh@Rath552. Gotta call you out in public =P.

Rath552
08-09-2010, 12:37 AM
Ziggy's hit the nail on the head. This is what I've been telling all my friends who rely too heavily on Challenge Mode; all these people you see dropping combos in Ranked are trying their best to use the combos they "learned" in Challenge Mode, but with a few tweaks and maybe a half hour in Training Mode to figure out the timing of certain moves (ie: How long after Zaneiga/Devouring Fang should I wait before knocking the enemy skyward, and what moves should I use to do so for the most combo-ability?) they could actually have a combo that may or may not do maybe 400 less points of damage, but one that they could pull off at any moment.

Early on I pretty much realized that I suck at super jumps, and practising with them only makes me hate them more, so I try and work around those. Every player will have their weaknesses, and honestly, not all of them can be overcome, but they can still be dealt with, by the afformentioned working around them; it just means that you've got some potential for if you ever want to step up your game even further.

However, as much as my statements apply to gameplay, they don't mean shit for Challenge Mode, which basically stresses the (almost) absolute best combo a character can perform after a given starter. Honestly, it'd be cool if they had like, "freestyle" sections in combos, where there were multiple ways of getting your opponent into a certain state so that the move after the "freestyle" section can connect.

I agree with the first part you said, the challenge mode combos can help but they aren't really practical, I only use Taokaka and alot of her starting combos you have to be point blank with, and I pretty much only play with my friends online and the one I play most with is Tager who has a pretty long reach and he uses a combo that once you get in you can say goodbye to over half your health and maybe in some cases all of it so I have to be careful about how I approach him and change the combos to suit the situation.

Hiya@Lymle

Io LoneWolf oI
08-13-2010, 01:05 AM
Well, here is part of what I posted about the challenge achievement:

They do rely heavily on the animation canceling (not rapid cancel, though they like to make you do that to they at least tell you its there) which is why it seems like you can't go fast enough sometimes. They explain it in the tutorials but you really have to just take each move individually to figure out when the right moment is to cancel it.

See the thing is that they want that animation quit. I have had a lot of combos done properly but do it a second over that animation start you are screwed. I have found the best way is to kind of semi pay attention and input it fast and it usually works. As for a rapid cancel just go into the button settings and map it to the left trigger or something. Challenge mode is like one of the last things that I have to do and well... I am not that big of a fan.

Ziggurat 9
08-13-2010, 10:14 AM
See the thing is that they want that animation quit. I have had a lot of combos done properly but do it a second over that animation start you are screwed. I have found the best way is to kind of semi pay attention and input it fast and it usually works. As for a rapid cancel just go into the button settings and map it to the left trigger or something. Challenge mode is like one of the last things that I have to do and well... I am not that big of a fan.

This is my map and it works well.

LT = RC
LB = Burst
RT = Barrier
RB = Grab

Used that since CT