PDA

View Full Version : Rock Band vs. Guitar Hero: The Interview

mikachu93
07-30-2010, 01:34 PM
For whatever it's worth, here's a 1up interview with John Drake (Rock Band) and Randy Guillote (Guitar Hero), each discussing their respective upcoming titles.

Gonna be posting the interview on both this forum and the Warriors of Rock forum to see the mixed replies. Should be interesting.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3180646

PaperThinWalls
07-30-2010, 10:07 PM
The interview further proves to me that as a Rhythm game, Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock will be a step-back for the genre. Instead of innovation they come up with some silly Quest Mode and Power-ups. Are their fans satisfied with that? I hope not.

Rock Band 3, on the other hand, seems like a great step for the genre. Keyboard, Harmonies, Pro-Mode, improved tour mode, improved character animations, etc. It also helps that I find their setlist (so far) to be superior than Guitar Hero's.

Basically, Rock Band is evolving and Guitar Hero is regressing.

Oh and I laughed at the "too many Aerosmith songs in the Aerosmith game" line.

institutions
07-30-2010, 10:27 PM
It does seem as if Rock Band is progressing while Guitar Hero is not.

"Every week of DLC, we don't expect every Rock Band player to go out and buy Nickelback DLC for example. I don't know why anyone does, but they did, and they loved it, so good for them. [laughs]"
I found this part hilarious.

"What we try to do at Neversoft is finish the game, make it as good as it can be, get it out to people, see what the think, then start on whatever the next game's going to be."
All of this happens in the time span of 2-3 days.

Sorry, can't help my Rock Band fanboyism.
I'm really anxious to see how they made the tour better especially for solo players, because I mostly play alone.
Also looking forward to learning to use the new keyboard peripheral.

Firvagor
07-31-2010, 02:48 PM
(quick OT note: apparently starting a post with a quote tag makes the forum think you entered fewer than 10 characters)

...I'll answer your question with a question, who doesn't want to play 'Bohemian Rhapsody' and 'Power of Love'? No one does not want to. Science.
SCIENCE! :D

When you picked up that first game and you said, "This is magical." It's going to be like that.
What, are you Apple now?

...when it's appropirate...
Yarr!

Although I've never played any Guitar Hero games, purely from its publicity I was always under the impression that they just tried to make their games bigger, flashier, and "over-the-top" like he said. That might attract more people, but it doesn't necessarily make the games better.

Rock Band, on the other hand, seems to be trying to improve on a great working formula. Even with band-specific games they didn't try to do anything drastic, although now they're diving straight for trying to make it more realistic with the pro instruments. I'm really looking forward to it, but we'll have to see what people think of it a few months after release.

I think the interviewer was just compelled to ask about the whole Kinect/Move thing since it was just newly introduced. I don't think it's really suited for this type of game. The only uses I can think of are overdrive/star power activation or having your character imitate your moves, but those would just be gimmicks.

TwistedFate
07-31-2010, 02:56 PM
(quick OT note: apparently starting a post with a quote tag makes the forum think you entered fewer than 10 characters)

Not really. We do it all the time.

Firvagor
07-31-2010, 03:21 PM
I thought so, but it's weird that it decided to tell me that anyway.

mikachu93
07-31-2010, 05:55 PM
I don't know how many times I ROFL'd at some of the comments I'm reading. I'm trying so hard not to be biased, but...

I dunno, but I like all the crazy s*** they're doing with the game. Not gameplay wise, but presentation wise. I mean, you can play as Gannondorf. Well, not really, but one of them turns into a pig-man. You can't do that in Rock Band.

But as a metal/hard rock fan, the track list for Guitar Hero appeals to me more, and that alone is enough to sway my opinion. I don't care about new features and crap. It's the soundtrack that matters, and Rock Band is too diverse for me (much like how the last Guitar Hero was).
Manbearpigs and soundtracks are his selling point. Yet... if the soundtrack is all that matters, how exactly is Rock Band "too diverse?"

I suppose Im one of the few remaining believers of Guitar Hero. I've always vastly prefered its gameplay to Rock Band's, and I'll admit, GH 4 and 5 couldnt match how successful GH3 / GH Metallica was in terms of song choices, but they're getting there!
Guitar Hero Metallica featured twenty-five Metallica songs and twenty-three Not Metallica songs. Just thought I'd point that out.

That I care that much about these games anymore, nor do you care about my opinion, but I would have to go with Guitar Hero over Rock Band. I have absolutely ZERO interest in playing fake drums or butchering the vocals to a song or doing keyboards to anything not classical (though, if you you give me a keyboard game that has only classical music or stuff on piano not keyboards and I'd be all over it!!). I just want my fake plastic guitar and I want to play hard, fast, heavy songs. Its just much more fun. Guitar Hero Metallica is the pinnacle of genre as far as I'm concerned. And until they come out with Guitar Hero Every Time I Die, my opinion on that matter probably won't change : )

P.S. And for what its worth, I'm so far in the minority here, its not even funny. Not only do I prefer Guitar Hero over Rock Band but I HATE playing with other people. I thought the addition of all the other stuff ruined the genre. I suppose I'm a pathetic loser, but I much rather sit alone and play kick ass rock songs on my fake guitar than hang out in a room with people and play boring pop songs.
So he hates Rock Band for offering options besides the guitar... Doesn't Guitar Hero do the same? He hates playing with other people... but I could have sworn Guitar Hero has had a mutliplayer mode since the beginning. But I guess none of that matters. I mean, apparently the option to play keyboards and "fake drums" with your friends is just as bad as being forced to play keyboards and "fake drums" with your friends. Even though Rock Band still offers a story-mode for guitarists. But whatever.

ponypo2001
07-31-2010, 10:15 PM
I have one question. Am I in a totally minority in loving both Guitar Hero and Rock Band? Seems forums all over are always blasting one or the other. You wouldn't have had Rock Band without Guitar Hero and Guitar Hero wouldn't be where it is today without the innovations bought about in Rock Band. My personal preference is with RB as I love the diveristy of music choice offered by DLC. I also however love rocking out on GH and it's many incarnations. I'm personally pumped for both.

mikachu93
07-31-2010, 11:04 PM
I have one question. Am I in a totally minority in loving both Guitar Hero and Rock Band? Seems forums all over are always blasting one or the other. You wouldn't have had Rock Band without Guitar Hero and Guitar Hero wouldn't be where it is today without the innovations bought about in Rock Band. My personal preference is with RB as I love the diveristy of music choice offered by DLC. I also however love rocking out on GH and it's many incarnations. I'm personally pumped for both.
You wouldn't have either without Harmonix. They're the ones who made Guitar Hero and Guitar Hero II, but were bought out by Neversoft (I think, correct me if I'm wrong).

You're certainly in the minority, but I play Guitar Hero myself. It's just that I don't buy Guitar Hero games unless I find them in the bargain bin for three dollars (and yeah, I bought Guitar Hero II, III, and Aerosmith all because they were $3 each at GameStop). That being said, the concept behind Warriors of Rock looks interesting enough for me to consider it, but with no job and no income, Rock Band 3 will take priority.

Mad World
08-01-2010, 06:15 AM
You wouldn't have either without Harmonix. They're the ones who made Guitar Hero and Guitar Hero II, but were bought out by Neversoft (I think, correct me if I'm wrong).

Just for fact's sake: the Guitar Hero IP was originally controlled by Red Octane, who had Harmonix develop the game portion of GH1/2/80s. Then Activision bought Red Octane, and, thus, Guitar Hero. Harmonix was bought by MTV not long after, and wanted to work on the Rock Band project anyways, so Activision switched GH development duties to their own studio, Neversoft. The timeline and contract commitments of all the studios is/was a bit more complicated than that, but that's basically it.

mikachu93
08-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Just for fact's sake: the Guitar Hero IP was originally controlled by Red Octane, who had Harmonix develop the game portion of GH1/2/80s. Then Activision bought Red Octane, and, thus, Guitar Hero. Harmonix was bought by MTV not long after, and wanted to work on the Rock Band project anyways, so Activision switched GH development duties to their own studio, Neversoft. The timeline and contract commitments of all the studios is/was a bit more complicated than that, but that's basically it.
I knew I was getting it wrong, but it's hard to use my iPod to reply and search on a different website simultaneously. Thanks.

dakisbac
08-03-2010, 01:52 AM
The interview further proves to me that as a Rhythm game, Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock will be a step-back for the genre. Instead of innovation they come up with some silly Quest Mode and Power-ups. Are their fans satisfied with that? I hope not.

I don't see how this interview says anything about the quality of the game, although as I posted in the other thread (saw this there first) I was much more impressed with the answers given by the Rock Band interviewee. I'm looking forward to this new quest mode because it looks to me like it's introducing something new to something otherwise stale. Face it, there's not much you can do with these games besides adding more instruments so at least they're mixing it up a little bit.

It also helps that I find their setlist (so far) to be superior than Guitar Hero's.They're about equal IMO, not that any opinion of the setlist matters in any objective comparison.

Basically, Rock Band is evolving and Guitar Hero is regressing.Not true. The worst you could say about GH is that it's not moving anywhere, but it's definitely not going backwards.

Oh and I laughed at the "too many Aerosmith songs in the Aerosmith game" line.So did I.

You're certainly in the minority, but I play Guitar Hero myself. It's just that I don't buy Guitar Hero games unless I find them in the bargain bin for three dollars (and yeah, I bought Guitar Hero II, III, and Aerosmith all because they were $3 each at GameStop). That being said, the concept behind Warriors of Rock looks interesting enough for me to consider it, but with no job and no income, Rock Band 3 will take priority.

I'm just curious where you're getting this data from. It seems to me that the fanboys of either camp would be in the minority, and the reasonable people the majority. There are far far more people out there enjoying both games than people that go onto forums cock-stroking one game and bashing the other.

TwistedFate
08-03-2010, 03:50 AM
Not true. The worst you could say about GH is that it's not moving anywhere, but it's definitely not going backwards.

Not that I disagree 100%, but even the GH makers say they are going back to the old ways. Difficult, guitar centric songs that cater to the original fans of the series.

It is going backwards, but in this case it's not really a bad thing. GH should have stayed with guitars. If they wanted a band experience then that is what Band Hero should have been.

dakisbac
08-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Not that I disagree 100%, but even the GH makers say they are going back to the old ways. Difficult, guitar centric songs that cater to the original fans of the series..

I was talking in terms of features. As far as I know, nothing that's been introduced since GH3 has been taken out.

GH should have stayed with guitars. If they wanted a band experience then that is what Band Hero should have been.I agree with this 1000%. GH: World Tour doesn't even make sense as a name. At the very least it should've been GH: Band Tour, but I definitely would've preferred just sticking with guitar/bass. The last few games would've been much better.

preppypoof
08-03-2010, 07:50 PM
I definitely would've preferred just sticking with guitar/bass. The last few games would've been much better.
this. thankfully, though, it seems like GH6 is going to focus more on the guitar/bass than GH4/GH5 did.

Poisonheadcrab
08-06-2010, 04:31 PM
SCIENCE! :D

Good heavens, yes! :Bounce:

sonicboy793
08-07-2010, 11:41 PM
they both suck equally music games have died

mikachu93
08-08-2010, 01:05 AM
they both suck equally music games have died
Sure they have.

Kellwolf9E
08-11-2010, 03:05 PM
I agree with this 1000%. GH: World Tour doesn't even make sense as a name. At the very least it should've been GH: Band Tour, but I definitely would've preferred just sticking with guitar/bass. The last few games would've been much better.

I remember thinking this when GH:WT came out. I was like "Guitar Hero??? But....they're pushing their new DRUM controller!??!" I read an interview that the decision was made to keep it "Guitar Hero" rather than change it to "Band Hero" due to brand recognition. Once again, Activision putting $$$ over common sense, but that's nothing new. They eventually put out a "Band Hero," but if you look at how many different Guitar Hero games were out that year, they could have sold 1 unit and still turned a profit on the whole IP.

I'm a RB fan boy, and I'll admit it. However, I don't just dismiss Guitar Hero out of hand. I don't personally like Activision's business practices of "squeeze the consumer until they ain't got cash no more," but I still look at the games. I've played all Guitar Hero games (thanks GameFly), but the last one I actually BOUGHT was Guitar Hero:Aerosmith. The fact that GH:WoR has Rush's 2112 is HUGE for me, but I still doubt I'll buy it. Rent it? Yes. Buy? Doubtful. I just enjoy playing Rock Band more than Guitar Hero. I liked the "drop in/drop out" party mode Guitar Hero introduced, and I'm glad RB3 is gonna have that. What I didn't like was the fact you can have everyone playing the same instrument, which was kinda....odd to me. Sure, it solves the "But *I* wanna play bass!!!" argument at the party between two guys that are about to punch each other because they have beer in their systems and they REALLY wanna play bass on Crazy Train, but it also fails to encourage people to step out of their comfort zone.

I also think Activision has gotten a little crazy over the whole likeness thing in their games. I don't care if my avatar looks EXACTLY like Jimi Hendrix or Ted Nugent. I'm playing the game to enjoy playing the song. If it was for the graphics.....well, I've always thought GH's graphics was too cartoony and over the top. Combining that with licensing artist's faces just seems contradictory to me.

At least the GH:WoR seems like it has a better story than Rise of the Six String. That sounds like Brutal Legend with plastic guitars.

dylanmannen
08-11-2010, 05:40 PM
i want rock band 3, i think it will be a great game. but i don't like the music thy have atm. im in to death core, and like, bmth,WBTBWB, suiside silence. but also i like some emo shit, like uhm, Alesana, Escape the fate, dear whoever and stuff like that ^^ so add that and im happy xD but mostly like death core :P want to see here comes the kraken in anny game :D

Inferno9000
08-11-2010, 09:21 PM
I always hated Rock Band for being too easy, both song wise and achievement wise. The drums were a joke compared to GH, and definitely the Guitar songs, I've gold starred every song on expert guitar on RB1 and RB2, without much effort, while guitar hero 2 and 3 gave me a huge challenge, but I finally 5 starred each song, same in Smash Hits. It was always more challenging, and that made it more fun. HOWEVER, ever since World Tour, guitar hero has gone way down hill. The songs are much less challenging, though there are still some really hard ones (in GH5 Scatterbrain, Children of Bodom song, schizoid man, etc.). HOWEVER, the gameplay style in GH is getting worse and worse, and the achievements as well, being annoying, bland, and not even requiring beating the game on expert let alone 5 starring every song on expert. Rock Band on the other hand, is keeping the formula I love and getting better in the way that I have new instruments to learn and can still feel comfortable with a formula I love. GH is getting way to crappy, 40 stars? Crazy power ups? NO SCORE? Can't we go back to GH3 and have a straight setlist, and just aim for 5 stars? Apparently not.

In the end, despite GH still having harder songs, it's falling flat real fast, while Rock Band is excelling. I thought I'd be a GH fan forever and spur the beginner fest that is Rock Band, but by this point, I have to say Rock Band 3 is going to be MUCH better than the new GH

Kellwolf9E
08-11-2010, 09:58 PM
I've never been a fan of "Guitar Hero songs are harder" as a plus for the series. I play to have fun, though, so it's not that big a deal to me. In fact, I think GH seriously OVER charts their songs. I've played songs on Guitar Hero that are harder to play than on the real guitar because they toss in extra notes. It's more of a button mashing game at that point rather than a music simulation game. 'Course the same is true of real guitar players. Just because you can play fast doesn't really mean you're a good guitar player.

More tracks announced for GH:WoR today, and I'm jealous of Neil Young's "Rockin' in the Free World" and ESPECIALLY Tesla "Modern Day Cowboy" and Queensryche "Jet City Woman."

Inferno9000
08-12-2010, 02:51 AM
I've never been a fan of "Guitar Hero songs are harder" as a plus for the series. I play to have fun, though, so it's not that big a deal to me. In fact, I think GH seriously OVER charts their songs. I've played songs on Guitar Hero that are harder to play than on the real guitar because they toss in extra notes. It's more of a button mashing game at that point rather than a music simulation game. 'Course the same is true of real guitar players. Just because you can play fast doesn't really mean you're a good guitar player.

More tracks announced for GH:WoR today, and I'm jealous of Neil Young's "Rockin' in the Free World" and ESPECIALLY Tesla "Modern Day Cowboy" and Queensryche "Jet City Woman."

It's quite obvious that it's overcharted, but I like that in opposition to Rock Band's undercharted files. Not a single file in either games have I played is properly charted, because it's impossible to simulate an instrument with over 756 possible note combinations with only 1 string and 5 frets. Regardless, I think songs that are fun are better than songs that are overly hard, but Rock Band has few fun songs (fun songs being like Bhoddisatva in RB2 and Green Grass and Hightides in RB1) and more boring easy files (pretty much everything not along the lines of files like the above), while guitar hero HAD more fun songs (GH4+ has really fallen flat though).

And it definitely doesn't take speed and technicality to be the best guitarist, that's just part of it, a much bigger part is style and music composition, the main reason why Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck are leagues better than guitarists like Kirk Hammett and Dimebag Darrell (not to undermine their skills).

Still, RB3 is going to rape WoR, even if as of now I think WoR has a much better setlist. It's just the gameplay is going to destroy all hope for the game

We also seriously need certain band games, I'd love a Queensryche RB/GH, based around Operation Mindcrime and we still are waiting on that Rock Band: The Who.

mikachu93
08-12-2010, 02:53 AM
i want rock band 3, i think it will be a great game. but i don't like the music thy have atm. im in to death core, and like, bmth,WBTBWB, suiside silence. but also i like some emo shit, like uhm, Alesana, Escape the fate, dear whoever and stuff like that ^^ so add that and im happy xD but mostly like death core :P want to see here comes the kraken in anny game :D
You can buy Suicide Silence and Escape the Fate through the Music Store and Rock Band Network. I wanna say there's at least one Bring Me the Horizon song up for grabs, too, but I'm not really sure. When you have as many song available as Rock Band does, you lose track.

Long post
Not-as-long post.
Have to agree with Kellwolf here (as far as difficulty goes). I don't play for those OMGHOPO moments or crazy strum patterns and chords that no mortal can keep up with; I play for the fun of the game. Not to mention Harmonix was always about the music, while Neversoft was always about bringing the players the hardest songs possible with the hardest charts they can think of, even if it means over-charting (which they did many times).

If you're still looking for something to test your skills, and you've never picked up a real bass or a real guitar in your entire life, you're going to find a bigger challenge in Rock Band's easier songs than Guitar Hero's hardest, all thanks to Pro mode.

Kellwolf9E
08-12-2010, 05:18 AM
We also seriously need certain band games, I'd love a Queensryche RB/GH, based around Operation Mindcrime and we still are waiting on that Rock Band: The Who.

I disagree 100%. To me, band games just seem to be a way for the publisher to leech more money out of the players. Why not make it DLC for the normal game? Marketing costs are a LOT cheaper. Problem is, DLC doesn't sell as well as an overpriced track pack like Green Day. The GH band games are worse, IMO. Only about half the songs on the disc are from the band the game is dedicated to. The other songs are carrots to get people that are only moderately interested in the band to buy it. To make matters worse, you can't export those songs into GH:WT, GH5 or Band Hero. Granted, The Beatles:Rock Band won't export into the standard Rock Band, either.

Now, I'd fall all over myself to download the full Operation:Mindcrime album, but I don't see myself paying $60 to buy a game based on it. I don't see The Who:Rock Band coming out, either. Most of the good Who songs are already available as DLC (and recently put on sale at that). The people that really want those songs already have them, so I don't think it would recoup all the costs involved with development and marketing. The rumored Pearl Jam? Maybe. I won't buy it since I've already got the full Ten album. I don't NEED to play with an Eddie Vedder avatar.

Inferno9000
08-14-2010, 12:49 AM
You can buy Suicide Silence and Escape the Fate through the Music Store and Rock Band Network. I wanna say there's at least one Bring Me the Horizon song up for grabs, too, but I'm not really sure. When you have as many song available as Rock Band does, you lose track.

Have to agree with Kellwolf here (as far as difficulty goes). I don't play for those OMGHOPO moments or crazy strum patterns and chords that no mortal can keep up with; I play for the fun of the game. Not to mention Harmonix was always about the music, while Neversoft was always about bringing the players the hardest songs possible with the hardest charts they can think of, even if it means over-charting (which they did many times).

If you're still looking for something to test your skills, and you've never picked up a real bass or a real guitar in your entire life, you're going to find a bigger challenge in Rock Band's easier songs than Guitar Hero's hardest, all thanks to Pro mode.

Considering I play real guitar (casually), and real drums and piano (professionally), I worry about my challenges when trying to play winter wind etude properly on my piano, but I'm an achievement whore, and since I love music and playing music (as you can see by how many instruments I play), the more chances to unlock achievements while doing what I love the better, I just want it to be fun, not boring as hell.

ILoveAztecChick
08-15-2010, 11:26 PM
IMO Guitar Hero is going in exactly the direction it needs to. It's going back to its roots to be more like GH3, which I thought was the best one. With World Tour they tried to make it like Rock Band, which took the soul away from the game. Guitar Hero should be about hardcore songs that are fun to play with over the top characters and graphics. In other words, more like a video game, whereas Rock Band is your go to game for music simulation. It's sort of like the difference between NBA Jam and NBA Live/2K. There's a market for both.

And what is it with people constantly complaining about GH being overcharted? For the most part, one note in the song = one note in the game. The only exceptions are bends and slides, but that's a reasonable compromise. Yes, sometimes they chart other instruments to guitar, but so does Rock Band, and do you really want to sit there doing nothing when the guitar part is idle?

TwistedFate
08-16-2010, 12:06 AM
And what is it with people constantly complaining about GH being overcharted? For the most part, one note in the song = one note in the game. The only exceptions are bends and slides, but that's a reasonable compromise. Yes, sometimes they chart other instruments to guitar, but so does Rock Band, and do you really want to sit there doing nothing when the guitar part is idle?

They complain because early iterations of GH had notes that didn't exist in the song simply for the sake of making a hard song harder. This isn't a problem now as much as used to be, it still happens but not as bad.

xx13ing3rxx
08-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Maybe it's time we pull out the old school guitar hero and rock band 1. haha. I do enjoy all this new content, but it really was a cool feeling on the hype of both when they came out. Something totally new. I still feel like even though guitar hero was the original, rock band did take it up a notch.