PDA

View Full Version : Bit of a con??

narcolepticshee
07-30-2010, 10:52 PM
Does anyone else think that this game is a bit of a con??

It seems that to reach an actual conclusion to the story, I'm going to have to buy all the DLC to go with it. The ending doesn't really explain anything and just plunges you further into the story rather than finishing it up.

I would of expected a conclusion for the 40 I splashed out on the game, not to have to buy all the DLC to find out what actually happens :( I'd expect DLC to move to the story past the conclusion, rather than conclude it itself!

Great game though, highly frustrating in parts - not as good as I was expecting unfortunately!

Anyone agree??

Peace

tobiasdennis
07-30-2010, 11:54 PM
No.

The DLC doesn't really give any more info about the main storyline. The guys that made the game were really trying to get the whole "television series" feel to the game and I think they nailed it (at least I felt like I was watching LOST and saying ok wtf). There's a LOT that gets unanswered but there are an awful lot of answers given if you read between the lines and pay close attention. I'm not saying you didn't pay attention... but you know how sometimes you watch a deep movie and it doesn't sink in the first time you watch it? It's like that. I hope you find some answers dude, but try to enjoy the game for what it is too! Cheers.

Teppelin
07-31-2010, 02:16 AM
I think you can take the ending of the base game at face value and it does kind of wrap it up =/

Jabbawocky
07-31-2010, 09:15 PM
Nah if anything Episodes 1-6 is series one. Special 1 and 2 are merely exposition asto what Alan is going through in the darkplace. It doesn't add anything to the story of the game but will no doubt give a clearer picture of events in the build up to Alan Wake 2 (if there is a sequel).

jd070993
07-31-2010, 09:33 PM
Alan Wake is meant to feel like a TV show, hence the episodic format. Episodes 1-6 make up Season 1. The DLC's are "specials" that don't really progress the story, but rather show different viewpoints of the main story (The Signal picked up on this). The sequel (if there is any) will make up Season 2.

That's why the conclusion doesn't sum it all up. We have to wait until the next "season".

Redskinsfan26
08-01-2010, 04:42 AM
The DLC in my opinion (even though I didn't play it, but watched it) was really cool and somewhat adds to what is going on in Alan's head.

Also, if anyone thinks that this DLC is a rip-off, go check out the Prince of Persia DLC, Epilogue. It was a good thing I bought it half price as DotW, because it is not worth it at full price.

mrzimma
08-01-2010, 03:34 PM
As a fan of horror stories and Stephen King, horror rarely has a definitive ending. The best ones always leave questions unanswered and vague clues as to what really happened. And evil almost always wins.

I can understand why some would feel disappointed with the conclusion not having an ending with a full reveal, but I'm completely satisfied with the story and its ending. If it had pulled back the veil entirely I wouldn't have as much anticipation for the next game.

Wizpig
08-01-2010, 04:57 PM
Remedy is not Ubisoft, they don't sell you the "Epilogue" as DLC.

Redskinsfan26
08-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Remedy is not Ubisoft, they don't sell you the "Epilogue" as DLC. If you didn't buy the LE of Alan Wake, you do have to pay for it. It's also going to be the same thing for The Writer DLC.

KNIGHTOFSERA
08-01-2010, 05:21 PM
its not a con

to see the actual ending to god of war I have to also buy 2 and 3 (not to mention a ps3)

to see the ending to gears of war I have to buy 2 and 3 at 60 each

see my point....what is the true ending?

now i havent played AW yet, but im assuming it does have some finish

Wizpig
08-01-2010, 05:42 PM
If you didn't buy the LE of Alan Wake, you do have to pay for it. It's also going to be the same thing for The Writer DLC.Yeah, but i'm sure you didn't miss "it doesn't add a thing to the plot" in the first reply of this thread.
It's not a mandatory DLC, unlike PoP's "Epilogue".

I would have been kind of disappointed IF the DLC actually added something important to the story.

Zombiehugger
08-01-2010, 06:20 PM
The DLC does not have any more info in it for the story than the main game. It's sort of an expansion of the story not the actual ending, the actual ending WAS the ending.

muzykalscorpio
08-01-2010, 06:56 PM
The story came to a conclusion for "Season One." The DLC doesn't add like extra episodes or additional story, no new characters or anything, etc.

Redskinsfan26
08-01-2010, 07:08 PM
Yeah, but i'm sure you didn't miss "it doesn't add a thing to the plot" in the first reply of this thread.
It's not a mandatory DLC, unlike PoP's "Epilogue".

I would have been kind of disappointed IF the DLC actually added something important to the story. I guess that's true about PoP, but it just makes me wonder what the continuation of the DLC for AW is going to be like.