PDA

View Full Version : What bands do you think are overrated?

Afro Ninja
07-30-2010, 11:19 PM
Edit: Attention! I don't think Iron Maiden, Megadeth, and Black Sabbath are overrated. It's just what I was guessing Tussell would say (And he did say it).

Megadeth and Iron Maiden are one my most favorite bands.

And please kids, no fighting.

I'll go first.

Metallica (Love them, but I think people credit them way too much then should be. They are truly the most overrated metal band in history.)

The Beatles (I don't understand why everyone loves them so much, I mean some of their songs are good like "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", "Back In The U.S.S.R", and "Helter Skelter". And trust me I've know these guys for a long ass time.)

Nirvana (I never really understood what's so good about these guys either.)

Slipknot (Actually, I think these guys might be more overrated than Metallica.)

Korn (These guys suck so bad! Bwahahaha, they suck so much!)

Anthrax (I don't know, to me they're just overrated.)

Led Zeppelin (They plagiarized a lot!)

Limp Bizkit (Same as Korn.)

Edit: And how the hell could I forget Guns N' Roses!

And Tussell, I think we all know what you're going to say...

"Iron Maiden (They suck!)

Megadeth (They suck, Dave Mustaine is a pussy!)

Black Sabbath (They suck!)

Bullet For My Valentine (They suck!)"

Need I continue? :p

Daiphyer.
07-30-2010, 11:22 PM
Beatles. I don't get why all the love for them. Their music is nothing special to be honest.

Afro Ninja
07-30-2010, 11:24 PM
Beatles. I don't get why all the love for them. Their music is nothing special to be honest.
Nice to see someone else agrees.

Glaeden
07-30-2010, 11:31 PM
Blood on the Dance Floor (The fuck?...)

The Go Go's (Again.. the fuck?)

Bullet for my Valentine (Pretty annoying)

Bring me the Horizon (Oli, enough said)

ZackNovak
07-30-2010, 11:32 PM
NICKLEBACK!!!! THEORY OF A DEADMAN!!!!! BREAKING BENJAMIN!!!!! All that post-grunge shit. ewwwww.

Kunduz
07-30-2010, 11:32 PM
Green Day bleh...

Afro Ninja
07-30-2010, 11:38 PM
NICKLEBACK!!!! THEORY OF A DEADMAN!!!!! BREAKING BENJAMIN!!!!! All that post-grunge shit. ewwwww.
How did I forget Nickelback!

HystericalNaked
07-30-2010, 11:45 PM
Afro Ninja, I have got to agree with almost everything on your list, except for Sabbath; Ozzy may be a bit of a mong, but they released at least 4 genre defining albums.

The best showcase for overrated-ness was this year’s Glastonbury Pyramid Stage and Other Stage line up (excluding The National and Willie Nelson, of course). Everything was trite. Muse get a special mention for exceptional overrated-ness.

institutions
07-31-2010, 12:14 AM
@OP - I agree with you on all of them except The Beatles. They are a little too overrated, but they are also an amazing band (or were.) I was one of those Beatle-haters until I played The Beatles: Rock Band. Their music is really catchy and they have many good songs.

I'd have to add:
Linkin Park (they're nu-metal right? nu-metal sucks. except SOAD.)
Avenged Sevenfold (ugh. they don't deserve the presence of Mike Portnoy.)
Lady Gaga (wtf. so many rock fans like her...why???)

Oh man, there are SO many more I just can't think of them atm.

tehapoc
07-31-2010, 12:30 AM
I have respect for bands that do their own shit. Most bands are either just emulating someone else or just trying to be cool. Seems to me that most musicians nowadays don't even care about their abilities to play music.

Starstrukk X360A
07-31-2010, 12:41 AM
The person reading this' favorite band.
It sucks. I don't see why you like it.
They're overrated.

Schism
07-31-2010, 12:51 AM
The Beatles....alot of people that sport shirts and shit like that dont even listen to them. Its sad...tons of my friends say they are amazing but none of them listen to them >:I I dont understand whats so great about them anyway...at the time they where good but now and days i dont understand why people love them. One of my favorite bands, sadly, is one of the most over rated ones...PINK FLOYD. Sooooo many people only like pink floyd because why?...alot of other people do...my school is filled with kids wearing "the dark side of the moon" shirts...and personally...i did not think that album was "AMAZING"...dont understand why people will say they like certain bands but not really listen to them. I also agree with ALL the bands Afro Ninja listed...i think Slipknot is one of the worst bands i have ever heard...i dont find any of their music appealing...dont see how people could say they are the "best thing to ever happen to music" im not even lying i have heard that on numerous occasions. lol Lady Gaga is, to me, the most over rated artist these days...except Lil Wayne...he is guilty to >:I sorry for the long post T~T

Burning Karma
07-31-2010, 03:09 AM
The Rolling Stones
Slayer
Nirvana (I like them, but way too overrated)
Red Hot Chili Peppers

Probably more, but that'll do for me for now.

BedCommando
07-31-2010, 03:49 AM
Too many to name. Hell, I could even list sub-genres as a whole.

Bababoof
07-31-2010, 04:20 AM
lol @ people saying The Beatles are overrated

ThaFireman
07-31-2010, 05:26 AM
Too many to name. Hell, I could even list sub-genres as a whole.
Yeah, this whole new extreme death metal that is popular needs to go to Hell.

Tussell
07-31-2010, 07:35 AM
Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Megadeth, Guns 'N Roses, Bullet for my Valentine, Trivium, Radiohead, U2, and Nirvana.

thomasgeorge
07-31-2010, 09:47 AM
Paramore
Muse
U2
Oasis
Rage against the machine

oHIGHoBMX
07-31-2010, 10:52 AM
I think The Beatles are so popular because the whole baby boom generation grew up with them. I guess they were kind of different for their time so I can see why they got so hyped up. The thing that confuses me is why they're STILL so hyped up. Their music is no longer "the soundtrack to people's lives" or something we've never heard. Anything that becomes main stream gets over played then over rated and some people start to hate it while others just move onto the next song. It seems to me like the more some people hype up an artist, others will hate it more.

SHADY
07-31-2010, 11:36 AM
Anthrax (I don't know, to me they're just overrated.)

Edit: And how the hell could I forget Guns N' Roses!

Have you heard Anthrax's The Sound of White Noise Album? I think it may actually be in my top 20 all time... Potter's Field, Only, Hy Pro Glo, all of which are epic for the time...

And for GnR, I couldn't agree more... I HATE Gun's and Roses... Axel Roses voice gives me a headache...

As for my thoughts on overrated bands, i'd have to go with:

Nickelback
of course, Gun's and Roses
Bon Jovi
All American Rejects
Megadeath
Coldplay
Slayer
I HATE Iron Maiden...

There is never enough credit given to the greater bands out there... Like Dream Theater, or Al Di Meola...

Burning Karma
07-31-2010, 03:54 PM
Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Megadeth, Guns 'N Roses, Bullet for my Valentine, Trivium, Radiohead, U2, and Nirvana.
How could I forget to mention Radiohead? Thanks for the reminder, Tussell

Afro Ninja
07-31-2010, 04:44 PM
Afro Ninja, I have got to agree with almost everything on your list, except for Sabbath; Ozzy may be a bit of a mong, but they released at least 4 genre defining albums.

The best showcase for overrated-ness was this year’s Glastonbury Pyramid Stage and Other Stage line up (excluding The National and Willie Nelson, of course). Everything was trite. Muse get a special mention for exceptional overrated-ness. Try reading my post again dude. Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Megadeth are not overrated. That's just what I thought Tussell would say.

v_thorne
07-31-2010, 04:59 PM
Ozzy Osbourne, Black Sabbath, Nirvana, Megadeth, AC/DC, U2, Slipknot, Korn, Limb Bizket, Avenged Sevenfold, Atreyu, Alexisonfire, Led Zepplin, Van Halen, Kiss, Queen, The Beatles, Job For a Cowboy, Iron Maiden, Guns N' Roses, Poison, Brett Michaels

HystericalNaked
07-31-2010, 06:29 PM
Try reading my post again dude. Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Megadeth are not overrated. That's just what I thought Tussell would say.

Oi, you edited that after I'd already replied!:p

Anyways, I'm just glad for a reduction in the Sabbath bashing.

Agent Aero
07-31-2010, 07:13 PM
Paramore, just because of Hayley. But she aint a band.

Afro Ninja
07-31-2010, 08:38 PM

No, I mean you were suppose to read the bottom of the post.

thewyseone
07-31-2010, 08:52 PM
beatles are definatly overrated now-a-days.

van halen with david lee roth,well might just be overplayed around here on our only rock only station,like once an hour.

yes led zepplin too,still like most their songs though.

i dont think i seen phish listed yet,i guess you gotta be a junkie to like them.:p

v_thorne
07-31-2010, 09:24 PM

Just because people say a band is overrated doesn't mean that we're bashing them. It just means that well, they're overrated. If you take a look at my list, I listen to a good chunk of those artists including Sabbath heh.

HystericalNaked
07-31-2010, 09:55 PM
No, I mean you were suppose to read the bottom of the post.

I see it now.... I need to learn to read again! I'll take a feminax and chill.

Another one for the list: Michael Jackson. Never understood his lasting appeal.

Callumpy
07-31-2010, 09:59 PM
Metallica - I will never forgive them for death magnetic.
Kid Rock - Saw them on Scuzz, what a load of shit.
Nickelback - Hate them

Slipknot are not overrated, they're awesome + R.I.P Paul Gray
and Avenged Sevenfold aren't, because they're my favourite band :)

yourmessedup
07-31-2010, 10:02 PM
they are all gAY

yourmessedup
07-31-2010, 10:03 PM
Why would you be away from halo?

hodge
07-31-2010, 10:18 PM
What's with all the Guns n' Roses hate in hear? I don't mind them at all =P

My most overated band would be Paramore - I don't see what people see in them

Burning Karma
08-01-2010, 03:09 AM
Metallica - I will never forgive them for death magnetic.
lolwut?

/10chars

HLR zdmetal
08-01-2010, 03:54 AM
I'll be the first to say (unless I missed it) PEARL JAM. Can't fucking stand them.

On a side note how could you possibly say Black Sabbath is overrated? That's crazy talk IMO.

PointPlaceWI
08-01-2010, 04:10 AM
I'l go for the Led Zeppelin. I've never liked any of their crap that bring out. I guess we hit a lot of over rated bands that were on my mind. Uhhh. How about Train? Their new shit is horrible. The Script get on my nerves.

Sabrelord
08-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Linkin Park
Kid Rock
Nickelback

Afro Ninja
08-01-2010, 04:11 PM
lolwut?

/10chars
Mind if I join?

lolwut?

Death Magnetic is the only album (besides the first four albums) that's actually not that bad.

Burning Karma
08-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Mind if I join?

lolwut?

Death Magnetic is the only album (besides the first four albums) that's actually not that bad.
Disagreements between me and you over their other albums aside, I've never seen anyone say the dislike Metallica because of Death Magnetic. It's usually the albums in between the first four and DM, or, more usually, St. Anger.

Afro Ninja
08-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Disagreements between me and you over their other albums aside, I've never seen anyone say the dislike Metallica because of Death Magnetic. It's usually the albums in between the first four and DM, or, more usually, St. Anger.
I thought St. Anger was their second worst album! There's no solos, the drums sound like Lars got them out of a junk yard, James sounds terrible, and man there's so many things about that album that suck.

animeaddict42
08-01-2010, 08:07 PM
Off the top of my head...

Nickelback - A couple of catchy (not necessarily good) singles... does not really constitute the fame they have.

Metallica - Love them to death, but they are not the almighty gods I see some proclaim them as.

BrokenCYDE - The very fact that they have any popularity at all makes them overrated.

Sublime - I like them enough, but... yea.

intrinsc
08-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Hanson, Bieber and the Biebers, Backstreet Baww'ers, The Jonas Homos.

Scenester
08-01-2010, 08:22 PM
Metallica- His voice kills my ears
Nickelback- Generic butt rock that should never have gotten popularity
Puddle of Mudd- See Nickelback
Hinder-See Nickelback
Buck Cherry-See Nickelback
Kid Rock-See Nickelback
Lil Wayne- Auto tuning your voice beyond recognition? Laaame
Bullet for My Valentine- I liked their album The Poison but it just went downhill after all that
Muse- I just don't get into it
Nirvana- They had a couple songs that would get stuck in your head, but the only good thing that came from Nirvana was the Foo Fighters and that's not saying much at all
The Beatles- Same as Nirvana, they have a couple catchy songs, but nothing life changingly spectacular

All I can think of for now..
And Lady Gaga isn't too bad. Her music is "Ehh" but I like how she doesn't give a shit about what people think of her style. Mad props for that.

tehapoc
08-01-2010, 10:04 PM
@Metallica - I liked 'St. Anger' - moves at a good pace and has a grunge-metal type sound that I think they lost after 'Master of Puppets'. I think that 'Death Magnetic' was an amazing album to follow after. Incidentally, I don't like the Black Album - doesn't do anything for me.

@Pearl Jam - How in the hell can you not like Pearl Jam? Something like 'Even Flow' is way overplayed, but you can't hate them for that. Most Pearl Jam albums have such poetic and meaningful integrity behind them. Also have to remember that they play to their age. It's not like they're singing about picking up highschool chicks when they're like 45 (ie Weezer).

milecoupe
08-01-2010, 11:20 PM
Lets see other then stuff said already

#1-Coheed & Cambria
The Rocket Summer
Breathe Carolina
Brokencyde
Beneath The Massacre
NeverShoutNever
+ All the shitty local bands that get huge tours cuz they suck ____ over bands that are decent

mrszeeeze
08-01-2010, 11:45 PM
Kiss and Bon Jovi are the first two bands that come to mind when I think overrated. And Nickelback... I don't even know if they're overrated but I am not a fan.

And, although I can see the appeal, ACDC. Not sure why most people seem to like them.

Burning Karma
08-02-2010, 01:39 AM
I thought St. Anger was their second worst album! There's no solos, the drums sound like Lars got them out of a junk yard, James sounds terrible, and man there's so many things about that album that suck.
Their second worst? Really? For me, it's no question that St. Anger is their worst album (disclaimer: I still like it).

Scenester
08-02-2010, 02:14 AM
Lets see other then stuff said already

#1-Coheed & Cambria
The Rocket Summer
Breathe Carolina
Brokencyde
Beneath The Massacre
NeverShoutNever
+ All the shitty local bands that get huge tours cuz they suck ____ over bands that are decent
What? Coheed is one of the best progressive bands I've ever heard. Definitely some Maiden and Rush influences and Claudio's story telling in his lyrics is amazingly well.

milecoupe
08-02-2010, 04:34 AM
What? Coheed is one of the best progressive bands I've ever heard.

Can't stand the singers voice.It may have changed by now but when i gave them a chance the singer to me sounded like a 5 year old girl screaming.Same reason i can't stand the rocket summer.

Joker0fLife
08-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Oh hai 1000 posts:woop:

Hollywood Undead
Kings of Leon
Kiss
The Offspring
Pantera
Rage Against The Machine
White Zombie
SLAYER
TOOL
3 days grace
Bring Me the Horizon
ATTACK ATTACK!
August Burns Red
Bullet For my Valentine
Deftones
MACHINE HEAD

(I like all these bands btw, except Bring me the horizon and Attack Attack!)

Sabrelord
08-02-2010, 03:46 PM
To call some of the bands in this thread overrated is just ridiculous imo!
If you don't like them, ok....but there are some very skillful and unique bands in here, or bands who basicaly made the way for everything upcoming.

Majica8
08-02-2010, 04:36 PM
lol @ people saying The Beatles are overrated
This. The Beatles aren't, and never have been overrated.

Angry Tom
08-03-2010, 03:38 AM
Iron Maiden are overrated. Slipknot are overrated. Metallica are overrated. Megadeth are overrated. Dream Theater are overrated. The Beatles are overrated. AC/DC are overrated. Rise Against are overrated. Green Day are way overrated. Kanye West is overrated. Bullet For My Valentine are overrated and stricken with faggotry. 3OH!3 are really fucking overrated. Disturbed are overrated (All of their songs sound exactly the same... OOOO-AH-AH-AH-AH).

I could think of a thousand more, but I can't be bothered.

*Cue bawww*

WilledStorm
08-03-2010, 10:51 PM
personally i think KISS.

Evelynee
08-14-2010, 09:28 PM
U2 is the most overrated band in the history of music, nuff said.
Metallica comes in close at 2nd place.

ThaFireman
08-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Iron Maiden are overrated. Slipknot are overrated. Metallica are overrated. Megadeth are overrated. Dream Theater are overrated. The Beatles are overrated. AC/DC are overrated. Rise Against are overrated. Green Day are way overrated. Kanye West is overrated. Bullet For My Valentine are overrated and stricken with faggotry. 3OH!3 are really fucking overrated. Disturbed are overrated (All of their songs sound exactly the same... OOOO-AH-AH-AH-AH).

I could think of a thousand more, but I can't be bothered.

*Cue bawww*
The fuck? Kanye West isn't a band haha. But I agree. His latest song, 'Power', is one of the worst rap songs I've heard recently and yet, everyone is going crazy for it. His voice is so annoying and he ends ever bar the same way by sounding out the last word for like 5 seconds.

XxBlueSpade2xX
08-15-2010, 09:48 AM
Oh hai 1000 posts:woop:

Hollywood Undead
Kings of Leon
Kiss
The Offspring
Pantera
Rage Against The Machine
White Zombie
SLAYER
TOOL
3 days grace
Bring Me the Horizon
ATTACK ATTACK!
August Burns Red
Bullet For my Valentine
Deftones
MACHINE HEAD

(I like all these bands btw, except Bring me the horizon and Attack Attack!)

This is the strangest list I've ever seen. Hollywood Undead, Bullet for My Valentine don't EVER belong in the same list (no matter what you're listing) as Slayer, TOOL, Pantera, Deftones, or Rage.

I guess it's all relative though. I'm not a big Beatles fan for the most part, but I love their album "Revolver". I somewhat agree that KISS is overrated, but only a bit. I think certain KISS band members (*cough* Gene Simmons) have completely sold out their music and over-saturated the market with KISS shit. But, they had their time, and I've heard it was a really awesome time.

HuskyHuscarl
08-15-2010, 09:59 AM
In the UK... a group called JLS
Theyre singing is really bad, its only good with the use of audio editing and all the stuff they do in the studio
People just go mad for them because its 4 men... or 5, ones gay :)

Japanese Table
08-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Avenged Sevenfold - They Fuck'n suck.
Nickelback - Do I need to say anything?
Bring me the Horizon - Scene kid much?
Metallica - OVERRATED
Hollywood Undead - Hurts deaf people's ears
95% of rock bands that formed after 2007. They all sound the god damn same.
Godsmack

Joker0fLife
08-15-2010, 03:24 PM
This is the strangest list I've ever seen. Hollywood Undead, Bullet for My Valentine don't EVER belong in the same list (no matter what you're listing) as Slayer, TOOL, Pantera, Deftones, or Rage.

The reason why HU and BFMV being there is because they have WAY more fans than they should.

As for the others names you mentioned: I can't understand why people find Slayer and TOOL to be so great when all their songs sound the same. Seriously, I can't differentiate what song I'm listening to half the time. Pantera, Deftones, and Rage did pave the way for some really good bands, but their hardcore fans take their fanboyism to a whole nother level saying they're the best bands of ALL TIME, which is preposterous. Maybe of a genre, but not all time...

Burning Karma
08-15-2010, 05:57 PM
As for the others names you mentioned: I can't understand why people find Slayer and TOOL to be so great when all their songs sound the same. Seriously, I can't differentiate what song I'm listening to half the time.
This statement absolutely astounds me.

Metallix316
08-15-2010, 08:59 PM
Avenged Sevenfold.

Not one song has impressed me and I saw them live and it didn't impress me.

Angry Tom
08-16-2010, 01:32 AM
MACHINE HEAD

I have fully and completely lost all respect for you...

Neverender
08-17-2010, 06:11 AM
Hinder/Nickelback type bands
Slipknot
Paramore
Hollywood Undead
Linkin Park
Brokencyde
Kid Rock
Queens of the Stone Age
Rap as a genre
Most classic rock

Out of my list, I only like classic rock. I can stand Paramore, but to me their songs all sound the same.

Edit: Oh, and almost forgot. Muse. I can't stand them and don't know how they're as popular as they are. (I can already hear people typing hate messages to me...)

Explosion853
08-17-2010, 02:29 PM
All Rap Music
Nickelback
Paramore
Slipknot

ooo0ooooooo0ooo
08-17-2010, 11:03 PM
KISS

Hendrix

Steve Vai

KISS

Nirvana

AC/DC

Disturbed

Oh and KISS

Chevron411
08-17-2010, 11:32 PM
The Beatles: Only talent was Lennon and let's face it the Monkees had the bubblegum genre down and they were a show group.

Aerosmith: #1 overplayed band of all time.

Avenged Sevenfold: MTV I ask you Headbanger's Ball?

Suicide Silence: How they released a second album is beyond me.

Can we bring back the blues please?

The Brownie Bandit
08-18-2010, 06:02 AM
Bob Marley (Do I even have to say?)
Slipknot ( Everything after Iowa was bleh)
Run DMC
Nirvana
Sex Pistols
Slayer (Just another trendy goth fad)
Green Day
Lil Wayne

tehapoc
08-18-2010, 06:09 AM
The Beatles: Only talent was Lennon

George Harrison?

KSizzle
08-18-2010, 02:27 PM
Bob Marley (Do I even have to say?)

Yeah, he put Reggae music on the map and influenced countless bands. His songs are covered all the time at various concerts and Legend is one of the best selling records of all time. Definitely overrated...

MrSpanner
08-18-2010, 07:56 PM
Fall out boy............

DeATh MeLOn
08-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Avenged Svenfold - The songs all sound the same and the screamo songs are just laughable.

Metallica - Obviously.

Korn - They just are such a generic metal band and suck so bad.

All puff rock that thinks its heavy (all new rock bands pretty much).

Explosion853
08-19-2010, 05:41 PM
I can't believe so many people are saying The Beatles they inspired so many bands/groups and impacted heavily on pop culture and many of there songs have been covered by artists such as Oasis, The Vines, Jack White and Sum 41 to just name a few.

OAR617
08-19-2010, 07:19 PM
Metallica. Their old stuff is awesome but the new records have been terrible

Joker0fLife
08-20-2010, 01:15 AM
I have fully and completely lost all respect for you...

Just like I said in my other post about Slayer and TOOL, I put them in there because their music sounds the same.

I firmly disagree with Disturbed being overatted. Going at the least Platinum on every CD and debuting all albums at #1 on the Billboard 200 is nothing to pass over.

Both being apart of the NWOAHM though, shouldn't be listed at all.

BarbaricGoose
08-20-2010, 01:50 AM
I firmly disagree with Disturbed being overatted. Going at the least Platinum on every CD and debuting all albums at #1 on the Billboard 200 is nothing to pass over.

Really? Knocking Tool and Slayer for sounding the same, and defending Disturbed? I don't have a problem with any those bands, but Disturbed doesn't have much variety..

I could say Justin Beiber, and Brokencyde, and all the other really, really, really shitty "Artists" out there, but I feel like that'd be cheating... oh to hell with it! All those people I just mentioned.

Neverender
08-20-2010, 02:34 AM
Going at the least Platinum on every CD and debuting all albums at #1 on the Billboard 200 is nothing to pass over.
Going by that same logic, you just said Justin Bieber was awesome and Michael Jackson was the best artist ever. Record sales are just statistics. They in no way, shape, or form determine how good music is.

I'm not trying to slander your opinion or be an ass here, but I'm just saying: Don't use sales to determine (or support) an artist. Anyone with an opinion sees them as meaningless.

Joker0fLife
08-20-2010, 09:13 AM
Really? Knocking Tool and Slayer for sounding the same, and defending Disturbed? I don't have a problem with any those bands, but Disturbed doesn't have much variety..

I'm not hating on either of them, because I listen to them every now and again (I love A Perfect Circle, they have more variety for me). Disturbed is one of my favorite bands and is one of the first bands to get me into metal. Now you might be a avid fan of both, but their albums all sound the same to me honestly. Of course you can say the same on your end, to each his own.

I'm not trying to slander your opinion or be an ass here, but I'm just saying: Don't use sales to determine (or support) an artist. Anyone with an opinion sees them as meaningless. I'll keep that in mind :)

vX DRoPDEaD Xv
08-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Green Day
Muse
Nickelback

I have such a strong hatred for all 3, they really do suck yet are really popular :|

Burning Karma
08-20-2010, 06:21 PM
I'm not hating on either of them, because I listen to them every now and again (I love A Perfect Circle, they have more variety for me). Disturbed is one of my favorite bands and is one of the first bands to get me into metal. Now you might be a avid fan of both, but their albums all sound the same to me honestly. Of course you can say the same on your end, to each his own.
You're baffling me. You love APC and their variety, but not so much Tool. When Tool has a much more varied sound.....

DarthSoth
08-20-2010, 07:20 PM

You musn't have listened to much Tool if you think all their stuff sound the same. The evolusion of their sound is a pretty amazing thing.

Anyway. Greenday has to one of the most overrated bands I can think of. How many 4-5 cord songs can a band have anyway? Listen to any of their popular songs and though they might be catchy, they are the bear minimum of musical talent involved in the sound of them. 4-5 power cords over and over again then add a mute and vary the strum for the chorus. If anyone wants to learn how to play guitar I can guarantee that they could play the vast majority of Greenday's song archive with very little time or effort.

I need to mention any of Glenn Danzig's bands as well. From the Misfits to Samhain to Danzig, the all sound the same. Great live show, but I can only listen to so much of the same sound before I feel like I have any of his stuff stuck on repeat.

If you are listing all these bands as overratted then I'm sorry but you have the worst sense of musical taste in the world.

Mutorcs81
08-20-2010, 09:39 PM
Kiss and Van Halen. Kiss has like two songs and people love them. They blow.

rvlution
08-21-2010, 04:21 PM
Nickelback. I wish I could erase my keystrokes just from typing that. I really like Radiohead but for every great song they have, they have like 3 not so good ones.

BarbaricGoose
08-21-2010, 07:44 PM
Now you might be a avid fan of both

I am not a fan of any of the bands I mentioned. Neither Slayer, nor Tool, or Disturbed.

but their albums all sound the same to me honestly. Of course you can say the same on your end, to each his own.

I don't mean to sound like a dick here, but did you not read my post? Because that's exactly what I said.

Disturbed's albums sound alike. I don't even listen to Slayer & Tool, so I can't comment on how similar their albums sound, but saying that other bands release songs that sound alike, and then in the same paragraph defending Disturbed, just seems bizarre to me.

Wilcrap2
08-22-2010, 02:26 PM
Green Day & Blink 182.

Teh BeZ
08-22-2010, 02:40 PM
I could write a list as long as my arm =P

But to keep it short, from your list - Beatles and Nirvana - I dont get it one little bit, I perosnally dont really like either and I like some pretty weird and varied music but they seem to have influenced thousands :P

On the other end of the scale just because I feel it should be said, Bring me the Horizon - Perosnally I love them - but they seem to have too much input into todays metal scene and I personally don't think they deserve that

Scenester
08-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Kiss and Van Halen. Kiss has like two songs and people love them. They blow.
Hate to sound like a dick, but they have more than just 2 songs.
Strutter
God of Thunder
Rock and Roll All Night
God Gave RocknRoll To You
My Charisma
Dr. Love
Detroit Rock City
Shout It Out Loud
Lick It Up
I Was Made For Lovin You
Beth
I could go on forever baby.
P.S. Ace Frehley was a way better guitarist than Paul Stanley.

VocalAntagonist
08-22-2010, 05:09 PM
Turn on the radio. Whoever is playing...them.

Joewl45
08-22-2010, 05:57 PM
N dubz - I don't think anyone truly appreciates how awful they are...

Angry Tom
08-22-2010, 08:07 PM
Just like I said in my other post about Slayer and TOOL, I put them in there because their music sounds the same.

I'd argue with you, and say "Listen to Burn My Eyes, then jump forward 13 years and listen to The Blackening, they're totally different, almost like a different band.", but I don't like being a fanboy, so I will agree to disagree.

If you are listing all these bands as overratted then I'm sorry but you have the worst sense of musical taste in the world.

Oh so wrong.

Chevron411
08-24-2010, 08:57 AM
I can't believe so many people are saying The Beatles they inspired so many bands/groups and impacted heavily on pop culture and many of there songs have been covered by artists such as Oasis, The Vines, Jack White and Sum 41 to just name a few.

Any artist with exposure can receive a following, and the next generation is bound to hear it. Frankly The Beatles are better than the modern pop scene, the songs tend to be over exposed for their age. You will always hear a Beatles song before a Rolling Stones, Billy Idol, or Elvis song.

Sean 94
08-24-2010, 09:29 PM
U2
Metallica
RATM

wakesy1996
08-24-2010, 11:30 PM
slipknot are the most overrated band in history...... i hear them get talked about but never hear anyone listening to 'em

Burning Karma
08-25-2010, 02:42 AM
slipknot are the most overrated band in history...... i hear them get talked about but never hear anyone listening to 'em
*raises hand*
Yep.

MGS Snake 47
08-25-2010, 08:40 PM
Lost prophets, They're way over rated, They're good, but people hear one of the songs such as "Rooftops" or "Burn Burn" and all of a sudden love them, I am rather insulted as one of their fans, seeing as both afore mentioned songs are over-rated and are rather bad compared to the rest of their stuff.

Slipknot, They're miles over-rated since Paul gray died, Nothing against him, but he wasn't anything special really, he could be easily replaced.

Avenged sevenfold, These are one of my all time favourite bands although these are also over-rated since James "the rev" Sullivan died, He however can not be easily replaced. And will be missed dearly :(

All time low & The blackout, Both good bands but are extremely over rated.

Bring me the horizon (and Oli sykes especially) This band is extremely over rated, and tbh i don't know why. I've heard some of Oli's screaming, And tbh, I've heard miles better, Given credit, he is greatly improving. Listen to "it never ends" if you don't believe me.

SynysterChris
08-26-2010, 06:06 AM
Metallica is Overrated to no end. People like them just because everyone else does. And if you say that you don't you get shunned and eyed by everyone. Plus there music in not that great some songs ya but thats no more than any band.

The Beatles, same as Metallica.
Disturbed - They are shit, plain and simple. They are pussy metal, with an Orangatang for a lead singer.
Nirvana - People think Cobain was so deep and shit, but the guy was a junkie who just rambled. But thats why I like him, and his songs, because they don't mean jack, just heroine talking and the self loathing for become what he and his music became.
Green Day, becasue they exist.

Bands I must defend.
GNR they have one great CD, but its awesome, if you hate them its just Axel Rose.
A7X, they kinda sold out to get record sales, and be on the radio. But whatever they are still my favortie band.
Lady Gaga, her music isn't that bad, and I think why people like her is for videos because they are weird but good. That's why I like her stuff anyway.
Slipknot, they are a gateway band to metal, and lots of people like them because they are easy start to listen to for metal.

Could go on for days but who cares.

tehapoc
08-26-2010, 06:47 AM
Bands I must defend.
GNR they have one great CD, but its awesome, if you hate them its just Axel Rose.
A7X, they kinda sold out to get record sales, and be on the radio. But whatever they are still my favortie band.
Lady Gaga, her music isn't that bad, and I think why people like her is for videos because they are weird but good. That's why I like her stuff anyway.
Slipknot, they are a gateway band to metal, and lots of people like them because they are easy start to listen to for metal.

With defenses like that - are we supposed to take you seriously?

Chevron411
08-26-2010, 07:15 AM
YouTube- Oops I Did It Again - (Metal Cover by Children Of Bodom)
1up sir.

ThaFireman
08-26-2010, 07:55 AM
Disturbed (the dude's vocals sound the same every song. He sings really fast then he sounds out words for a long time ala chorus of Stricken)
U2 (only good song is 'The Sweetest Thing')
Coldplay (only good song is... wait a minute)
Van Halen (all their songs sound like a bunch of drunks at a karaoke bar. poor EVH is wasted talent in the band.)
Avenged Sevenfold (mediocre band with annoying fans)

SynysterChris
08-27-2010, 01:57 AM
With defenses like that - are we supposed to take you seriously?

Maybe :rolleyes:

ginge88isfun
08-27-2010, 05:17 PM
I'm surprised that this thread isn't overrun with with Rock/Metal band bashers, oh wait...

but seriously bands like:
1. Green Day - they're enough to make none-emo's (british thing) slash their wrists.
2. Oasis - a bunch of wankers that try to be hard asses and usually get the shit kicked out of themselves instead.

I have to defend bands like Metallica, sure people don't like them but some of there songs are probably the most difficult to play, give them credit for that at least.

Keano
08-27-2010, 06:23 PM
Think I'll have to go with the Beatles as well:

http://suckmybeatles.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/reasons_the_beatles_suck.jpg

God I hate the Beatles.

shilbo-assassin
08-27-2010, 06:34 PM
N dubz - I don't think anyone truly appreciates how awful they are... No, I do. I think they are the only thing I hate. They make me want to self-harm. Just looking at that little chav's face makes me want to snap a pencil.

Chevron411
08-27-2010, 07:15 PM
@ Keano: "While My Guitar Twats You In The Throat And Drop Kicks You Into The Middle Of Next Week". Made my day.

fornication22
08-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Definately Metallica and Nickelback. Nickelback just keeps doing same songs. And Metallica is no good.

flanderosa
08-28-2010, 04:33 PM
I wasn't even aware Nickelback were rated......:p

A selection of overrated bands past and present:

U2
Radiohead
Oasis
Arctic Monkeys
Green Day
Rolling Stones
Kasabian (oh God oh God, My Ears!!!)
Libertines
The Doors
Pink Floyd
Guns N Roses
The Clash

I could go on...

Walls Of Jericho
08-29-2010, 09:22 PM
Kings Of Leon and of course The Jonas Brothers.

SynysterChris
08-29-2010, 09:27 PM
I'm surprised that this thread isn't overrun with with Rock/Metal band bashers, oh wait...

but seriously bands like:
1. Green Day - they're enough to make none-emo's (british thing) slash their wrists.
2. Oasis - a bunch of wankers that try to be hard asses and usually get the shit kicked out of themselves instead.

I have to defend bands like Metallica, sure people don't like them but some of there songs are probably the most difficult to play, give them credit for that at least.

Seeing how most people who are learning guitar, play mostly Metallica songs I don't think they are all that difficult, just practice and you should be able to learn most of there stuff no problem.

eynotie
09-04-2010, 05:08 AM
Nickelback is over-rated.

YouTube- All Nickelback songs sound the SAME

Coadster1
09-04-2010, 05:13 AM
-Pink Floyd
-The Beatles
-Kings of Leon
-The Rolling Stones
-U2
-Kiss
-Black Sabbath
-Iron Madien

XxBlueSpade2xX
09-04-2010, 09:13 AM
Anything this guy listens to:
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/xxbluespade2xx/idiot.jpg

I can't believe so many of you think the Rolling Stones are overrated. Forget about the last 15-20 years and look at there older albums. They are a great band.

@flanderosa, Pink Floyd? Come on.

Burning Karma
09-04-2010, 03:50 PM
Nickelback is over-rated.
Honestly, I don't even know anyone who rates them. Sure, I enjoy listening to them, but I know what they are.

Bebe Buell
09-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Even though I love them, I have to admit that Metallica is as overrated as it gets.
U2 is overrated
Van Halen is overrated
Anthrax is overrated
Nickleback is overrated
A7X is overrated
And the "Disney bands" are more overrated than a million dollar hamburger! Jonas brethas, Hannah Montana etc.

Santaslave
09-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Anthrax is overrated

The hell is wrong with you?

TheKashFlow
09-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Any band mentioned in NME is overrated.

ZServ
09-07-2010, 11:02 PM
@OP - I agree with you on all of them except The Beatles. They are a little too overrated, but they are also an amazing band (or were.) I was one of those Beatle-haters until I played The Beatles: Rock Band. Their music is really catchy and they have many good songs.

I'd have to add:
Linkin Park (they're nu-metal right? nu-metal sucks. except SOAD.)
Oh man, there are SO many more I just can't think of them atm.

Linkin Park has never been nu-metal lol. Their riffs were only Drop D, and that was for Hybrid Theory/Meteora. They redefined themselves in Minutes To Midnight, shifting from being mad at the world, to being upset with the faults people have, and others taking advantage of that. A Thousand Suns redefines their sound again, bringing in an acceptance of life and human society as it is. They've basically come full circle with their entire style, it's changed so much since they first hit the market 10 years ago.

Linkin Park - One Step Closer

This was track 2 of their debut album, and a lot of the album has this vibe to it. Applying a mixture of rock and hip-hop worked well for them. In Meteora they went more towards the hip-hop side of it, leaning towards heavier bass, more mixing, etc.

Minutes to Midnight, they really embraced their softer side that they didn't show very much, from stuff like the piano version of Pushing Me Away, My December, they really pushed to show they could do that well too.

Linkin Park - Waiting For The End

This is one of the songs from their new album, A Thousand Suns. Yeah, they're a completely different sound. I dig it though.

But, thats just me defending my favorite band, don't mind my opinion. :p

tehapoc
09-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Linkin Park has never been nu-metal lol. Their riffs were only Drop D, and that was for Hybrid Theory/Meteora. They redefined themselves in Minutes To Midnight, shifting from being mad at the world, to being upset with the faults people have, and others taking advantage of that. A Thousand Suns redefines their sound again, bringing in an acceptance of life and human society as it is. They've basically come full circle with their entire style, it's changed so much since they first hit the market 10 years ago.

Linkin Park - One Step Closer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qlCC1GOwFw)

This was track 2 of their debut album, and a lot of the album has this vibe to it. Applying a mixture of rock and hip-hop worked well for them. In Meteora they went more towards the hip-hop side of it, leaning towards heavier bass, more mixing, etc.

Minutes to Midnight, they really embraced their softer side that they didn't show very much, from stuff like the piano version of Pushing Me Away, My December, they really pushed to show they could do that well too.

Linkin Park - Waiting For The End (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPO3SaXHHBA)

This is one of the songs from their new album, A Thousand Suns. Yeah, they're a completely different sound. I dig it though.

But, thats just me defending my favorite band, don't mind my opinion. :p

They were a better band when they were doing drugs.

Anywho - RHCP post-Blood Sugar Sex Majik is pretty overrated.

Dilweed
09-07-2010, 11:26 PM
All American Rejects & Green Day, Bleh! :ass

ZServ
09-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Anywho - RHCP post-Blood Sugar Sex Majik is pretty overrated.

Unfortunately, have to agree with this and The Beatles.

dwmacfar2
09-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Of course Metallica is overrated! Of the big 4, they're probably the worst. That being said, people bashing there music are stupid. They are still an amazing Thrash Metal band. Also, to the guy saying how "people first learning to play guitar learn metallica songs", the intro to Enter Sandman and the first 10 seconds of Master of Puppets aren't full songs...James Hetfield is a masterful guitar player. Go listen to songs like Leper Messiah and talk to me...He has masterful rhythm sections. All though, we all know Megadeth is better ;)

Acrimonus
09-16-2010, 03:09 AM
There is never enough credit given to the greater bands out there... Like Dream Theater (snip)

Former band, right? :p Portnoy is gone, that band is done.

DT is a wankfest, they have some good songs but a lot of it is mehhhhhhhh, too much showing off musical skills not enough music. Reminds me of technical death metal, without the death metal.

The Beatles and Metallica are definitely overrated. However the difference between the two is The Beatles is very sparse and boring but Metallica from Kill 'Em All to AJFA is awesome with a song or two from the rest of the albums that don't completely suck. Slayer is definitely overrated however that doesn't mean they are bad. Show No Mercy, Seasons of the Abyss, Reign in Blood and South of Heaven are all kick ass albums.

Overrated =/= bad.

Acrimonus
09-16-2010, 03:18 AM
Of course Metallica is overrated! Of the big 4, they're probably the worst. That being said, people bashing there music are stupid. They are still an amazing Thrash Metal band. Also, to the guy saying how "people first learning to play guitar learn metallica songs", the intro to Enter Sandman and the first 10 seconds of Master of Puppets aren't full songs...James Hetfield is a masterful guitar player. Go listen to songs like Leper Messiah and talk to me...He has masterful rhythm sections. All though, we all know Megadeth is better ;)

I disagree. Anthrax is definitely the most overrated and their position in the Big Four of Thrash is something I don't agree with. I think Testament should be there in terms of musical quality, though Anthrax was definitely there first so it can't be helped.

Yes Hetfield is a very good guitarist and I give him double credit for playing and singing at the same time too. Shit is hard. Mustaine is better though in terms of playing the instrument.

Megadeth only gets my vote as better because the bass isn't buried in the mix and I have a bias as a bassist ;)

DarkAssassin13
09-16-2010, 04:25 AM
Avenged Sevenfold
Kiss
Metallica
Ozzy Osbourne
Black Sabbath
AC/DC

Santaslave
09-16-2010, 07:15 AM
DT is a wankfest, they have some good songs but a lot of it is mehhhhhhhh, too much showing off musical skills not enough music. Reminds me of technical death metal, without the death metal.

It's progressive rock / metal, what do you expect. You either love it or hate it haha.

Mr ZoNaa
09-28-2010, 10:22 AM
Let me see....
System of A Down
BFMV
Slipknot
Basically all screamo shit. It hurts my ears :S

Lava Tonsil
09-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Green Day, Smashing Pumpkins and U2. Never understood the massive hype behind them, but i think it's also the type of people who liked them when i was younger puts me off.

Acrimonus, you gotta be trollin with saying the Beatles are overrated right? Surely?!

Santaslave
09-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Acrimonus, you gotta be trollin with saying the Beatles are overrated right? Surely?!

You gotta be kidding with saying this right? Surely?!

Burning Karma
09-29-2010, 03:20 AM
Let me see....
System of A Down
BFMV
Slipknot
That isn't screamo.

Santaslave
09-29-2010, 04:36 AM
That isn't screamo.

It's shit though.

muzykalscorpio
09-29-2010, 04:36 PM
Off the top of my head...

KISS

Soundgarden

Linkin Park

... granted, I don't generally have that "overrated" opinion of bands, but it's in very rare occasions where I will hear what band is someone's favorite, and I'll have a moment of "why?" - I could probably think of more, if I tried, though.

Lava Tonsil
09-29-2010, 06:24 PM
You gotta be kidding with saying this right? Surely?!
Nice post. Good contribution, gold star for you!
And a smiley face too, why not, you earned it.:)

rvlution
09-29-2010, 08:59 PM
A part of me dies when I read that Muse is overrated. If anything, they're underrated because of all the Twilight fans listening to the one song in the movie.

Nickelback (I die whenever I see or hear their name)
Fall Out Boy
Megadeth (I like some of their music)
Any of the popular crap today

The Walrus
09-29-2010, 09:11 PM
Paramore - I find most of their songs to be pretty bad whereas most people are like "OMG <3 Paramore"

Burning Karma
09-30-2010, 02:10 AM
It's shit though.
Aren't you a clever one?

Pieville
09-30-2010, 03:35 AM
Im just gonna come out and say it.
The Most Overrated Singer is J.B. - Work it out for yourselves.

Magic Coletrain
10-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Hendrix

there i said it, this is coming from a 7 year guitar player

oh and also i love every single Metallica album

including Load, Reload, St.Anger and Death Magnetic... haters gonna hate

ll SaNiiTY
10-03-2010, 10:59 PM
Rammstein. [They need to focus more on Music than there porn videos.]

Le3THal
10-05-2010, 03:42 PM
Each to their own!

I could write a ton of bands i think are over-rated but really it's just bands i'm not feeling so really in theory it's a who do you not like post lmao!

Hence you putting KoRn & Limp Bizkit!

I :uzi:you hahaha

Mallice
10-10-2010, 09:37 AM
I cannot believe someone said The Beatles LOL, Rock n' Roll would not be the same without The Beatles. That's like saying Led Zep are overrated which is just completely ridiculous lolll.

I think the majority 'modern' bands these days are completely overrated, especially by my peers. Bands like BMTH, YouMeAtSix etc. are all absoloutely terrible and yet people seem to think their amazing. Best recent band this year for me has been Biffy Clyro =P.

Expyrious
10-11-2010, 06:18 AM
NIRVANA

Listen to Alice in Chains instead!

Radioactive Microbe
10-17-2010, 04:21 PM
Linkin Park
Breaking Benjamin
Anything Similar to those above

tandrel
10-18-2010, 01:01 AM
Metallica- They haven't been good since ride the lightning IMO
AC/DC- most overrated band ever, it all sounds the same and it was awesome the first time then I just hated it from then....
All of todays groups!

merzitar
10-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Greenday - They're really mediocre.

Till
10-19-2010, 11:17 PM
A7X is pretty garbo.

d0c.f1r3
10-20-2010, 12:11 AM
lil wayne
drake
u2
muse
slipknot
green day
justin beiber
lady gaga
nickleback
avenged sevenfold
and the list could go on

gamerscorhunta
12-15-2010, 02:00 AM
Let me see....
System of A Down
BFMV
Slipknot

They are not all about screaming. They had a tendancy to carry off into screaming during their first album, however, all of their other albums have creative lyrics that rarely do they just randomly scream their lungs out. You should not give hope on System of a Down!

klokwerk
12-15-2010, 02:10 AM
Anything screamo is overrated, also the beatles.

Hochberg
12-21-2010, 01:44 AM
Slipknot.

Most of my friends make fun of others for acting like they're 'hardcore' but Slipknot is one of their favorite bands...? I mean, come on, all of them wear ridiculous masks like the one with spikes going through it in all directions. :\

Kirov3577
07-31-2011, 11:04 PM
The Dave Matthews Band

AA x driv3r
08-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Come on guys, Green day? Really? There 90's music rules. Seems like everyone on thus forum is a Metal head.

Vigor
08-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Blink 182, whenever I hear these assholes sing, I'm turning into a californian faggot.

HugTheBear
08-04-2011, 09:07 PM
All rappers.... All Emo crap.. & Nickelback.

Tom115
08-04-2011, 09:29 PM
The only band I think are overrated is Radiohead. I mean I like their music and that but there's so many better bands out there.

Qonok
08-04-2011, 09:39 PM
There are quite a few bands that gain popularity that make me go "Why?"

U2 - quite boring music to me.
Avenged Sevenfold - kept hearing how great they were so went and bought their album. Listened to it and didn't care for it.
ICP (Insane Clown Posse) - how the heck these talentless wonders become popular?
Pearl Jam - I am sooo tired of Black Hole Sun...they do have other music, right? Someone point the radio stations towards it then.
Poison - same as Pearl Jam but for the song Every Rose Has Its Thorns
Alice in Chains - just ewwww.
Dave Matthews Band - great elevator music?
Blink 182 - they can't sing so they do other things to disguise this like going naked I guess.
Lady Gag-Alot - I liked first album but do not care for anything after.
The entire genre of rap.
That electronica crap when the singer can't sing (i.e. Ke$ha) and so they add a electronic overtone to their singing.

dan132518
08-05-2011, 12:28 AM
Nickelback

girl poison
08-05-2011, 06:40 AM
I'll make this quick.

ANY 80s rock band- yes, all of them- yes, that includes AC/DC, Journey, KISS, Guns'n'Roses, all the other fxuifjsdknreulrei44 I hear on the radio, at the bar, etc. I hate them ALL. LEAVE THE 80s IN THE 80s. /sorry

That being said. Any musician who gets recognition on appearance over.. you know.. actual talent. *cough*Ke$hamakesmewanttoDIE*cough*

Any kind of style of music where instrumental presides over lyrics- we can easily stick mainstream rap and annoying brands of techno to this category.

Last but not least, A Day To Remember. I just.. really don't like them.

specVjavi
08-05-2011, 09:18 AM

Avenged Sevenfold - kept hearing how great they were so went and bought their album. Listened to it and didn't care for it.
ICP (Insane Clown Posse) - how the heck these talentless wonders become popular?
Pearl Jam - I am sooo tired of Black Hole Sun...they do have other music, right? Someone point the radio stations towards it then.
Blink 182 - they can't sing so they do other things to disguise this like going naked I guess.
The entire genre of rap.
That electronica crap when the singer can't sing (i.e. Ke$ha) and so they add a electronic overtone to their singing.

Pearl Jam was not responsible for Black Hole Sun, that would be Soundgarden. How dare you confuse the two. =p

Tussell
08-05-2011, 09:37 AM

The entire genre of rap.
So, you obviously don't know anything about Pearl Jam, claiming they created 'Black Hole Sun', so please don't say that Alice in Chains are overrated. You named Alice in Chains and didn't name ONE OF THE MOST OVERRATED BAND EVER (Not to mention top GRUNGE BANDS) NIRVANA.

http://clipartist.net/Art/April/facepalm_facepalm-555px.png

Spade.
08-20-2011, 09:06 PM
Beatles, Beach Boys, Led Zep, KoRn.

Purified666
08-22-2011, 12:37 AM
uhm, i guess metallica, not so good live and way to many people blow it up for what they actually perform, the early years where great though!

same as beatles for me, respect for people who love them, i just dont like it so much

and I LOVE KORN! seen em 3 times, each time a little better (but got to admit, its another style, you have to like it or just dont, plain simple)

Peace!

McGoogles
08-22-2011, 02:15 AM
Rush and Green Day.

Nami
08-22-2011, 02:25 AM
Slipknot is overrated big time lol every 12 yr old parent hating emo has a slipknot shirt.

Also Metallica i like one of there songs the rest just bore me to death

StayonTarget
08-23-2011, 03:16 AM
This thread is full of people bashing the bands they don't like.

J.Waddo
08-24-2011, 01:02 AM
MUSE. MY GOD.

I personally think Muse are shit and extremely overrated! Cannot stand them. I remember being dragged to watch that shit Twilight film and Muse came on half way through, I just wanted to stab someone.

Spade.
08-24-2011, 01:31 AM
Rush and Green Day.
I love Rush. To me they're underrated. I would kinda like to know your reasoning behind that.:(

Berero
08-24-2011, 05:31 AM
everyone is picking on the rock ones, thoooough the most overrated musician EVER is:

LADY GAGA.

Seriously. Wtf is she even popular?

Chrinst
09-15-2011, 10:35 PM
I think Afroninja got the list 100%. Totally agree.

ZedChuva
09-16-2011, 08:10 AM
Any band that is popular, that I don't like. That's pretty much a pat answer to that question.

Also, don't get bent out of shape when someone mentions a band you love. For me, to be on an "overrated" list, they have to be hyped, popular or "rated". Some underground, obscure hipster rock band can't really be "overrated" if they aren't known. Yea, maybe in their own little circle, but not in the "big picture".

I'll add to the list, most likely bands that are already on the list.

I could put a ton of hip-hop and rap here, but I won't. I don't listen to or like the genre, so I have no place to say if Jay Z is the worst thing I've ever heard in my life, or that Watch The Throne is THE most over hyped piece of shit I've ever been forced to hear.

Beatles - Obvious one. They were a great, solid band, but... bubble gum pop is all they were before they started doing acid, heroin and smoking the ganj every day. They were a musical version of Backstreet Boys before the BSB were born. Not a bad band by any stretch, but overrated... I can go there.

Lead Zeppelin - Yea, I spelled it correctly. Hate this band... fucking LOATHE! Being a guitar player, you get a LOT of flack for hating on Page and his band of drugged out losers. Solid song writing can't make up for THE worst vocalist of all time, and the biggest arrogant asshole fan base in the history of music.

AC/DC - Fuck your party rock. This band is above LZ on my hate list. I hear one note of this tripe, and I want to jab myself in the ears with a Q-Tip... :rant:

U2 - Bono is an arrogant asshole, who should die a slow... fuck it, kill him quick. He's a shit singer and a horrible human. Edge is nothing without his 13,492 rack effects. The other guys... who cares. Their music is boring boring boring.

purpleinsect
09-16-2011, 08:52 AM
U2. Sure a few good songs but how could they have ever won any awards is beyond my understanding!

Jayouken
09-16-2011, 09:24 AM
Avenged Sevenfold.
Paramore.
You Me at Six.
The Blackout.
All Time Low.

Although it could just be their fanbases that make me think they're over-rated as sh*te.

Chrinst
09-16-2011, 10:31 AM
everyone is picking on the rock ones, thoooough the most overrated musician EVER is:

LADY GAGA.

Seriously. Wtf is she even popular?

OHH OF COURSE!! She Craaaazy!

LittleKitty3
09-16-2011, 11:45 AM
here in Finland it might be Metallica and Iron Maiden. And some crappy finnish rap artists..

Dav13s
09-16-2011, 12:22 PM
MUSE. MY GOD.

I personally think Muse are shit and extremely overrated! Cannot stand them. I remember being dragged to watch that shit Twilight film and Muse came on half way through, I just wanted to stab someone.

Origin of Symmetry is awesome, everything else, not so much.

Loving the band bashing thread lol.

oDrPepper
09-17-2011, 01:24 AM
There's absolutely no reasoning behind most of these choices. "I don't like dem so dey must be overrated derp"

DStyles
09-17-2011, 06:24 PM
The Beatles and anything "indie"

CrownlessKing
09-19-2011, 12:44 AM
Nirvana. I never understood what was so great about their music.

But how is Metallica overrated? I mean I've listened to their early stuff and it's great. I didn't like St. Anger a lot but I still liked it. Death Magnetic is pretty good. Load & ReLoad are crap though, except for "Hero of The Day".

Me personally, I'm a big fan of Kid Rock. Of course when he mainly incorporated a lot of rap into his music a lot of his rhyming was pretty stupid. (Hairy Carey couldn't call my game) Wtf? But I love a lot of his harder stuff. Then we he put out his albums "Cocky" and the self titled album he did, I dunno, it sounded a LOT better. A bit more country mixed with rock and roll, like he always said he was.

Now, my question is, what is with all the Nickelback hate? I've never ever ever understood it. Hell I did a video blog on YouTube asking why, but no one ever watched it. Heh. I mean, don't get me wrong. I got as tired of "How You Remind Me" as anyone else did. But they do make good music. Most of the singles they release are those soft ballads like "Far Away" or "Never Gonna be Alone". A lot of their non-single songs are much much better. A lot heavier, more enjoyable. At the same time a lot of their softer rock songs like "Someday" and "Photograph" are very enjoyable. I think anyway. I just never ever ever understood the hate.

JoX92
11-10-2011, 02:58 AM
Metallica - Holy shit are they overrated! I don't hate them or anything, they've made a couple of good songs and records and put up great shows (from what I've heard). But people talk about them way to much, saying Master of Puppets is the best album of all time and Kirk Hammett is the best guitarist ever. Dave Mustaine is a way better guitarist than him!

Avenged Sevenfold - Again, I don't hate them. But their drummer dies (R.I.P) and suddenly he is the greatest drummer and they are the best band ever? No... NO!!

CouchOrnament
11-10-2011, 03:03 AM
Anything that was spawned from Disney.
Any band or singer that was `discovered` on Youtube.
Metallica from 1994 and on.
Anything EMO
Most Indie Bands (I know this seems a bit of a contradiction, but just cause its Indie, does not mean its good. Come on people)
Gangster Rap

MikeyTruant
11-10-2011, 05:22 AM
Nirvana - never really got into them
Job for a cowboy
nickelback

Spade.
11-11-2011, 04:42 AM
I feel I should add some more:

Metallica: In my top 5. Definitely. Am I the only one that loves everything made before Lu Lu? Because somewhere along the line, I've lost everyone as fans. Either St. Anger or DM killed it for them. Ugh, I digress. In my opinion, they're overrated with hatrid.

Bullet For My Valentine: I listened to about four of their songs simultaneously. They. All. Sounded. The. Same. I will give Tears Don't Fall some awesomeness credit.

A7X: Better than BFMV. I like some of their songs, but they're over- emphasized. And why'd everyone go all crazy over The Rev? Rest his soul and all, but he wasn't good enough for all this.

--------------->ALL FREAKING RAP AND COUNTRY!<----------------

DOOKH8R
11-11-2011, 04:55 AM
Any band formed after 1993

Philanthropy
11-12-2011, 12:59 AM
I think you all are mistaking music that is "overrated" with music that you blatantly don't like. Just because you don't like certain bands doesn't mean they aren't good.

And Radiohead is great. Go sprain your ankle.

IHU SoldierI
11-12-2011, 02:23 AM
Philanthropy, you realize that this is about what people find overrated, and not what everyone finds over rated right? I find Radiohead overrated. I also find Lil Wayne, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Kesha, LMFAO, Drake, Eminem, The Beatles, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, 3Oh!3, Green Day, Blink-182, Metallica, and many more I can't think of right now overrated.

Philanthropy
11-12-2011, 02:50 AM
Your point is completely invalid. People find music "Overrated" because it doesn't personally appeal to them, but appeals to the masses that listen to said artist. What do you listen to? Don't even answer that. Because whoever you like is overrated also. Anything being overrated is a matter of opinion. That was all I was saying.

Dexter010
11-17-2011, 05:24 AM
Justin Bieber

dekahate
11-24-2011, 02:41 PM
As a metal fan since forever, I would say that anything labeled "nu-metal" is overrated!

exo-apollo
11-24-2011, 03:02 PM
All music ever grrr durrrr. Except Townes Van Zandt. Guy never got rated enough to be overrated. But, if he did, I'm sure someone here would think he was overrated.

Benny34
11-26-2011, 02:07 AM
Anything RAP!!!

Spade.
11-26-2011, 03:51 AM
Metallica is Overrated to no end. People like them just because everyone else does. And if you say that you don't you get shunned and eyed by everyone. Plus there music in not that great some songs ya but thats no more than any band.

The Beatles, same as Metallica.
Disturbed - They are shit, plain and simple. They are pussy metal, with an Orangatang for a lead singer.
Nirvana - People think Cobain was so deep and shit, but the guy was a junkie who just rambled. But thats why I like him, and his songs, because they don't mean jack, just heroine talking and the self loathing for become what he and his music became.
Green Day, becasue they exist.

Bands I must defend.

Thought I should post this.

I am a fan of Metallica. I got into them when I was about 11-12 (I'm 15 Now). I didn't know they were considered 'overrated' until a few months ago.I, by no means, like them because everyone else does. I didn't know anyone else was a fan of them until a year later when one of my good friends told me they were fans. Plus, I live in Alabama, so Metal isn't generally accepted here.

I like Guns N' Roses. Axl is a great singer. What makes him not? Some songs DO sound the same, but not many.

I'd also like to add to my list of overratees:

Godsmack (rip off of Alice in Chains)
Five Finger Death Punch ( they just suck, that's not how metal should be)

Kira X
12-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Metallica
AC/DC

Quake007
12-08-2011, 09:46 PM
Metallica is soooooo overrated. Thankfully, at school, everybody listens to the new flavor of the month and jumps on every musical bandwagon non-metal, so I can say Metallica is shit and nobody will bother.

littlemissymoo
12-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Iron Maiden

TheGreenxRanger
12-10-2011, 04:36 AM
bon jovi and nickelback. terrible terrible bands

Smoochy
12-14-2011, 02:47 AM
Nickelback, how they became famous is beyond me.

A lot of mainstream music is over rated, because a lot of it is garbage (there are occasionally a few good bands every now and again).

As for a band that I actually like but think they get too much credit, Blink 182. I really enjoy them, but I don't think they're as great as a lot of people make them out to be.

djspencee
12-14-2011, 04:44 AM
Everything on the radio.

Dr TacoBag
12-14-2011, 09:23 PM
Anything that is on the radio I think is quite overrated... They typically play out the songs of that artist and then it begins to get ANNOYING every time you hear it...

dwayne_hicks
12-14-2011, 09:28 PM
I cant stand all the love the Beatles get, I do like some of their stuff but I dont get the infatuation people have with them.
Could've gotten it from my mom, she couldnt be bothered less when they first came over to the US.

Round it out with Nickelback and Korn.

Ctrl Alt Defeat
12-14-2011, 11:52 PM
Thank God no one said RHCP, I would have to start a e-fight.

Jiving Joe
12-15-2011, 12:28 AM
aerosmith

Guns roses

Motley crue

yeah hair metal is overatteeedd !!!:uzi:

IMO ofc