PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Slim Disc Read problems

SengIV
07-31-2010, 04:06 AM
So here I am playing Spongebob. I got bored. A few hours later I start playing Darksiders. I go to save and my Xbox says unreadable disc. I restart it and then goes to dashboard. It says Open Tray. Well the disc is still in there. So I try Spongebob. Still no read just says Open Tray. I try six more games. No good. Now the Xbox feels really hot so I turn it off for an hour. Come back and it works. Try playing it. Freezes. Now it still won't read discs. Not one disc. Always reads Open Tray. So looks like I'll be returning it.

This is a warning. Do NOT get a Slim. It clearly is faulty and a total POS.

Eksy
07-31-2010, 05:21 AM
Considering there haven't been an assload of complaints about this, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that ALL slims are a POS, but perhaps yours is.
I'm positive it's still under warranty and you should be able to get it replaced with little trouble.

TwO1FouR
07-31-2010, 06:14 AM
Considering there haven't been an assload of complaints about this, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that ALL slims are a POS, but perhaps yours is.
I'm positive it's still under warranty and you should be able to get it replaced with little trouble.

Agree... but to tell you the truth.. I truly believe that we will see more complaints of the Slim as we did with the early 360 consoles. Thats just my opinion! :p

Who knows..

mmartynn
07-31-2010, 08:04 AM
just go take it back. or dont change disc every 5 mins. simple

SengIV
07-31-2010, 12:49 PM
just go take it back. or dont change disc every 5 mins. simple

It's not reading ANY disc so not changing discs every five minutes won't do anything.

DarkCreations
07-31-2010, 12:57 PM
There will always be minor and major problems/errors with new consoles.

There's no way of actually getting a console out on release with no problems what so ever. At least 1 person will say there's a problem, and then someone else will pick up another and another and another, and these problems might not even be true sometimes.

The only thing you can do if the problem consists, is take it back for an exchange and see if it was just that xbox. Just because yours is a "POS" doesn't mean everyone else is, and it also doesn't mean people shouldn't buy it. In the end, It's only your word against thousands of others.

ApochWeiss
07-31-2010, 12:57 PM
It's not reading ANY disc so not changing discs every five minutes won't do anything.

I think he just means not to do it when you get a new one :D

Look, here's what you do. Find the youngest member of you family, and take a HUGE dump in the box. Take it to wal-mart and have the family member cry like mad and tell them you bought a piece of shit and you want your money back. They MAY open it, they don't deal with feces, but if they do they'll know right away the scent. They shouldn't turn you away, and won't deny you the money back for such a blatent oversight that looks bad on thgem. if they do though, tell 'em it was a gift, and when you opened it up it came out of one of the plastic bags and you brought it right back.

Go buy a more recent model used 360 if you fear the slim line.

And, of course, somehow...profit.

And I know all this because I bought a shit that was returned, and someone wiped their ass with it. oh I went RIGHT BACK when I almost put that shirt on 3 days later. No questions asked.

FlyingShadow
07-31-2010, 08:34 PM
Did you try clearing the system cache? Mine does this every once in a while, but its a normal Elite and not one of the new slims.

PROWLER JESSE
08-04-2010, 02:23 PM
thanks for posting this. i am pretty sure that i am going to preorder the reach edition console but im nervous that there will be a million and one problems with their new product.

Elit3 m0nkey
08-04-2010, 04:04 PM
thanks for posting this. i am pretty sure that i am going to preorder the reach edition console but im nervous that there will be a million and one problems with their new product.

Don't be. There are always a small amount of people who have problems when a brand new device comes out. He is just one of those unlucky few.

MasterGazelle
08-04-2010, 04:16 PM
You better preorder it PJ! So ours can breakdown together:p

Seriously though it won't be anything like the failure rates of the original release 360's. plus there haven't been that many horror stories so far considering. Not even many phoney ones like people throwing thier WiiMotes at drywalls or TV's.:p

SaintKnight
08-05-2010, 03:06 AM
My Slim has been on about 10-12 hours EACH day since Sunday (when I first got it) and it has been everything I expected and more. I was hesitant to not get one but I haven't experienced any problem except getting the update notification later than usual, which I'm not complaining about something weird as that =P

klokwerk
08-05-2010, 03:08 AM
Don't get peanut butter on you discs and they will read just fine.

ReaLiStiiC
08-05-2010, 03:56 AM
Don't get peanut butter on you discs and they will read just fine.

Or putting sponges in the xbox who wear square pants!

Mr 2 g00d 4 U
08-05-2010, 04:01 AM
you think you got it bad, when i first bough the slim i ended up with the e 74 error and microsoft does not want to fix it cuz i removed the sticker on the back of the console by accident.:mad:

Dark Apparition
08-05-2010, 04:23 AM
My slim works great. Constantly on and spinning discs. Sucks for you I guess.

gotmilk6
08-05-2010, 06:14 PM
I've had mine since release and it works fine. The slim only vents heat one way so it will seem to get hot but it keeps the vital parts cool to reduce overheating. The no disc read happened once to me on the second day I had it, however it was because when I set the disc in it wasn't completely flat and one part of the disc was elevated by the side. No other problems whatsover since then. Don't listen to this guy, get a slim you'll love it.

Wii187
08-05-2010, 07:14 PM
The only minor issue I have with my Slim is that it's more sensative to small imperfections on a disc like small scratches or smudges (or bad games) then my arcade. Starting cold I turned on my arcade to take out Shellshock 2 to play it on my slim. Shellshock 2 was detected on my arcade. When placed in the Slim it would not read the disc. Wiped the disc down then placed it back in the slim. Repeated this 3 time before the slim picked up the disc.

Lord Montymort
08-05-2010, 07:37 PM
I have a Slim, and I can confirm that it is not a PoS, my one works perfectly(and I have put it through some punishment already in it's short lifespan), it's seems you just got unlucky.

Joewl45
08-05-2010, 07:40 PM
The only minor issue I have with my Slim is that it's more sensative to small imperfections on a disc like small scratches or smudges (or bad games) then my arcade. Starting cold I turned on my arcade to take out Shellshock 2 to play it on my slim. Shellshock 2 was detected on my arcade. When placed in the Slim it would not read the disc. Wiped the disc down then placed it back in the slim. Repeated this 3 time before the slim picked up the disc.

Maybe it was trying to advise you against playing Shellshock 2 :)

Wii187
08-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Maybe it was trying to advise you against playing Shellshock 2 :)

Kinda was wondering why when I press the eject button to close the drive the Slim's "ding" was replaced by a "groan", ;).

tugboatman
08-05-2010, 09:54 PM
The only minor issue I have with my Slim is that it's more sensative to small imperfections on a disc like small scratches or smudges .

See ive had the complete opposite to this i had a copy of Rock Band and neither my sons Premium or my Elite would read and i tried installing it to my new slim xbox and it worked first time and the disc was pretty much trashed

snake1111123
01-04-2011, 11:55 PM
the new dashboard is what is causing this pandemic. so you should return it and try not to use it until a new update happens. it happened to me and a person told me this. also, you can phone ms to ask them what this problem was and if they are able to fix this. im going to phone them right now and see

ExplodingRat
01-05-2011, 12:18 AM
Well I was going to hop on here and ask a similar question...

Just got my 360 slim hooked up, set up, licenses transferred, and good to go!

I just bought Spider Man: Shattered Dimensions and started playing it and within 10 minutes I get a disc read error. I installed the game and it went on 100% fine, but it worries me to have a disc read on the first game I play that was brand new out of package. :(

tl:dr - I'm worried I wasted my time, I think my xbox MIGHT be defective, but I'm not sure.

BooYah209
11-05-2011, 04:57 AM
i have the exact same problem ,but i cant return it its to late :(