PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Age getting the Mass Effect treatment

OG T UNIT
08-01-2010, 07:58 AM
How can you not be excited about this?

Remember playing Mass Effect? It was good. Then you played Mass Effect 2. Everything was streamlined. The fighting was so much better. The story was still great, although it is hard to have another antagonist as awesome as Saren was.

People forget that although Dragon Age just came out last year, it is essentially 2 years old, having sat on the shelf for almost a year before release. That is why it looked so behind the times graphically, that and originally being built as a PC only game.

When it comes to RPGs, I think it is a good idea to trust Bioware knows what they are doing.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=1836&pictureid=10561

Lisbon_Lion_67
08-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Well even though we've only seen a small amount the game does look awesome. The only thing that does concern me is the change in art style. Especially the darkspawn (assuming the image was darkspawn ofcourse)

But yeah Mass effect was great and ME2 was even better, much more refined. No doubt we will see the same with Dragon age 2.

Although i didn't like ME2 story, i thought it was really disappointing.

I totally agree though, its Bioware and they rarely disappoint.

Opiate42
08-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Yup.

Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3....just thinking about them makes me drool.

Terarin
08-17-2010, 06:09 PM
I thought ME2 was the Diet Coke of Mass Effect. It really felt like there were minimal RPG elements left after Bioware streamlined it. Most conversations felt contrived and nothing more than a vehicle to the next combat section. I really didn't care about any of the characters. If there wasn't an achievement for keeping them alive I would not have worried so much about the suicide mission.

This is what I hope streamlining DA2 does not do. I kind of like the depth of the current world.

Owellyn
08-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Are good. Apart from NWN. But I'll let that slide, DAŁ will be amazing.

Cypher_Cobra
09-03-2010, 07:36 AM
It's a good idea, I hate the whole voiceless antagonist.

thestillwind
09-24-2010, 12:49 PM
We'll see in time...

Cav Clayton
09-24-2010, 03:45 PM
I'm excited anyway.

Mass Effect 2's combat was better, but in terms of story, customization and depth, it lacked.

- Recruit
- Do mission so they are loyal
- Give them new Cerberus outfit
- Repeat
- Get laid.

That being said, I'm not disappointed that we can't pick a race etc.. I mean did people really think we would just be re-visiting origins all the time?

BUT, I don't like how they've just changed the look drastically, I mean is that really a Quanari? Sorry, but I liked Sten without horns.

All this of course may change if we actually see footage..

Wos
09-26-2010, 01:48 AM
^ some of the Qunaris have horns in dragon age: origin it is just that sten doesn't have, if you read the lore about qunari some have horns and some haven't.

can be a gentetic thing like we have different skin color.

Cav Clayton
10-04-2010, 11:30 AM
^ some of the Qunaris have horns in dragon age: origin it is just that sten doesn't have, if you read the lore about qunari some have horns and some haven't.

can be a genetic thing like we have different skin color.
That may be true, but I was really just referring to the overall 'stylized' look.
I really loved the gore and gritty feel to the game. The darkspawn actually looked like evil creatures rather than ugly bastards wearing fashionable-armours.

It felt like more of a realism-fantasy than a fantasy-fantasy. If that makes sense...

spookyblade
10-26-2010, 10:03 AM
They officially said that they would be making this more combat based and suited better for the consoles(guessing thats because of market research) but personally that could have fatal effects as, like they did with mass effect 2, it will become more an action game than a RPG :(

bawrash
10-26-2010, 11:37 PM
I thought ME2 was the Diet Coke of Mass Effect. It really felt like there were minimal RPG elements left after Bioware streamlined it. Most conversations felt contrived and nothing more than a vehicle to the next combat section. I really didn't care about any of the characters. If there wasn't an achievement for keeping them alive I would not have worried so much about the suicide mission.

This is what I hope streamlining DA2 does not do. I kind of like the depth of the current world.

what he said.
I wanna feel like i'm writing the story not just tagging along.

Jrome360
12-01-2010, 01:15 AM
Agree with the assessments. Too much stripping down like in Fable III and ME2 kindof take some of the fun out of games. I like getting into the nuts and bolts of some things - give players the option to get more in depth if they need be.

shootinhoopz
12-13-2010, 01:48 AM
more like mass effect with dragons, less like the original dragon age. plztybioware

Scotty
01-02-2011, 10:30 PM
cant wait for this game having got my final cheevo for DA:O today, i want more. though it does look like its been dumbed down so to speak judging by the gameplay footage, but still it will hopefully be great. i also dont like not being able to create your own character but maybe i wont even remember that when its out if its good enough:)

BaldWombat
01-03-2011, 12:55 AM
cant wait for this game having got my final cheevo for DA:O today, i want more. though it does look like its been dumbed down so to speak judging by the gameplay footage, but still it will hopefully be great. i also dont like not being able to create your own character but maybe i wont even remember that when its out if its good enough:)

You still create your own character you just can't pick a race.

Cod Master
01-03-2011, 01:02 AM
It is going to be a good game.

Scotty
01-03-2011, 01:09 AM
You still create your own character you just can't pick a race. ah very good then i did not know that. i also only choose human anyway so not being able to choose race wont affect me personally:woop:

fivebyfive200
01-08-2011, 04:30 PM
They officially said that they would be making this more combat based and suited better for the consoles(guessing thats because of market research) but personally that could have fatal effects as, like they did with mass effect 2, it will become more an action game than a RPG :(

sounds like an excuse for them to aim at gamers who hate RPG and want a button masher like a former flat mate. He hated Dragon's age orgin and just wanted to mash the buttons like a retard like he did in dynasty warriors and other similar games

the combat in the 1st mass effect was fine (despite what same say) its a RPG not another 3rd person shooter.

While Bioware's output is decent, they are becoming more like EA, rip off and short DLC with dumbed down gameplay

PrinceOfThralls
01-12-2011, 08:50 PM

This, excepting I already know that Dragon Age 2 will be the diet coke of Dragon Age Origins. This is why I am not exited about that game. I'd rather get Mass Effect 3 and then Skyrim.

Cjs8705
01-29-2011, 07:26 AM
me3 will be so water down it wont be funny DA2 will be much better than that

maximusvonmax
02-18-2011, 11:40 PM
I am a fan of bioware, but I was a little disappointed in DragonAge because of the combat. It wasn't as flexible as Mass Effect, or even Elder Scrolls.

EnteringtheCosmos
02-19-2011, 02:34 AM
I'm pretty sure Bioware will deliver on DA2, i've played and loved all of Biowares RPGs, Balders Gate1,2 Neverwinternights, KoTOR, Jade Empire, Mass Effect 1,2 and dragon age plus i'm sure Mass effect 3 will be amazing and hopefully Dragon Age 3 will be released in the next 2 years :)

xXShowyCreekXxx
04-12-2011, 01:06 PM
I bought Dagon Age one when it came out, and i was disappointed. Mass Effect is a 100 times better. DA didn't make any sense, but that my meaning.

SouthrnReb09
04-13-2011, 04:50 PM
honestly im rather impressed with DA2 i was worried it wasn't going to be as good as Origins since you couldnt pick your race or go into as much customization but i picked it up anyway and havent put it down since awesomely done game.

Knux70
04-19-2011, 03:17 AM
I'm impressed with the gameplay, but the story and environments really were a letdown to me. The entire game taking place in and around one city with the loot rehashed three times. I absolutely LOVE the combat, skill trees, and overall growth of your character as a fighter, but I felt like I was raising a warrior inside of a test tube without a world to explore and thrash.

Spanish Assault
04-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Just got into Mass Effect 2...So far, so much fun. I was happy with Dragon Age 2...Although I feel the first one was better. I am new to the whole RPG thing...Im happy I bought DA...now this is all I want to play....Call of Duty who??

Black Arrow
04-19-2011, 04:29 PM
Just got into Mass Effect 2...So far, so much fun. I was happy with Dragon Age 2...Although I feel the first one was better. I am new to the whole RPG thing...Im happy I bought DA...now this is all I want to play....Call of Duty who??

Mass Effect is defintely the better game. Has a better team working on it.

But saying that, I enjoyed both Dragon Age games as well.

W1cked Seraph
04-20-2011, 08:03 AM
I enjoyed DA O but thus far i think the second is infinitely better.