PDA

View Full Version : E1M9 - slightly modified from PC version?

Senyth
08-02-2010, 06:12 AM
In order to boost my SP leader board ranking, I've started running through Knee Deep in the Dead on Nightmare, but Military Base is totally screwing me over. I'm currently hiding out in the secret room at the end of the level - you know, the room with the items on pillars that are a real pain in the ass to jump on - with 30% health. Now, here's where things get weird.

I've seen a Nightmare run of this level done in Ultimate Doom on PC, and at the end instead of jumping into the toxic pit to raise the bridge to the exit switch, the guy runs and jumps (not really jumps; I know some programs allow that on PC, but this is a legit run) across and finishes the level. In fact, you can see it for yourself so you know exactly what I mean! ;)

YouTube- [DOOM] E1M9 Nightmare 100%S

Now, given my extremely low health, I can't seem to be able to go through the pit to raise the bridge. If there weren't imps down there, it'd be fine, but there are and if I don't kill them, I'll die. If I do kill them, I'll die because I have to stand in the poison for too long.

After failing to do this as intended, I tried to jump the gap at least a dozen times, and that's when I went to Youtube... and noticed something very strange:

In the PC version of Doom, the gap between you and the exit switch seems to be much smaller than it is on the XBLA port.

I was under the impression that it was identical in every way, but according to this video, I seem to be very mistaken. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is indeed different, and whether or not this jump is possible?

zippy100012
08-29-2010, 10:01 AM
he strafed jumped (or ran in this case). basically, u have to run sideways and it goes further for some reason. not sure why, but applys for most games like MW2 and shit like that. otherwise no, they seem the same.

Senyth
08-29-2010, 08:54 PM
he strafed jumped (or ran in this case). basically, u have to run sideways and it goes further for some reason. not sure why, but applys for most games like MW2 and shit like that. otherwise no, they seem the same.

Yeah; I don't know the specifics, but it turns out that strafe jumps are actually slightly slower on the XBLA port, which makes some of them almost impossible (like the blue pillar jump in E4M2). Still not sure whether this one can actually be done or not as I ended up just restarting the level and sucking less.

I still think the gap actually LOOKS smaller than in the video, though, but who knows. Oh well. Thanks anyway. :P

zippy100012
08-31-2010, 02:44 AM
well you could be right, but video tends to make gaps appear smaller than they seem :P lol jk. ill have to see myself and try to strafe jump on that level.

btw dude, if u havent got the frag achievements and want to get em just let me know, i need to get them also and have been looking for someone who will.

GT: zippy100012