PDA

View Full Version : Tales from the Crypt

Tussell
08-03-2010, 07:52 PM
I grew up on this classic television show while it still had its original run on HBO. Years later, when I was much older, I was able to enjoy it on the Sci-Fi channel, through re-runs. Now that it's off the air, I have all the episodes on DVD. I got it a few years back off eBay. I totally forgot I had them up until lastnight, when I popped in one of the DVD's. It definitely brings me back to my childhood.

Was just curious as to what you guys thought of the show. Favorite episode? Etc.

http://i35.tinypic.com/2whkxhe.jpg

ViRaLuNdEaD
08-03-2010, 08:32 PM
To be honest I never watched it much, but did catch it on occasion and do remember reading the original TFtC comics, or the reprints I should say. My favorites were always Tales From the Darkside and Amazing Stories. I have a ton of those on the DVR.

CodSteaks
08-03-2010, 08:32 PM
Wow, it's been a long time since I've watched an episode of that show. I remember kind of liking it when I was a kid, but I couldn't even tell you any details. I seem to remember an episode about a guy and his wife with her turning into a zombie or a swamp creature or something, maybe through voodoo or witchcraft? That's how clear my memory is on this show :p

Tussell
08-03-2010, 08:35 PM
To be honest I never watched it much, but did catch it on occasion and do remember reading the original TFtC comics, or the reprints I should say. My favorites were always Tales From the Darkside and Amazing Stories. I have a ton of those on the DVR.
I have a few actual original Tales from the Crypt, Crypt of Terror, and Vault of Horror, however, I also have quite a few re-prints. The originals are pretty sweet though. EC Comics is the shit.

ViRaLuNdEaD
08-03-2010, 08:38 PM
I have a few actual original Tales from the Crypt, Crypt of Terror, and Vault of Horror, however, I also have quite a few re-prints. The originals are pretty sweet though. EC Comics is the shit.

Hell yeah, they are! I still have one of the old paperback reprints packed away somewhere, where they compiled a bunch into a little novella. Awesome reading as a kid.

Man, now I am going to have to break some of that stuff out!

JAW LV
08-03-2010, 08:58 PM
I remember tales from the crypt when I was a kid. The crypt keeper is alive and well... he lives amoung us in a human named Al Davis.

http://www.broncoscast.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/ad.jpg

rvlution
08-05-2010, 03:16 PM
I've seen like 1 episode on Chiller. I bet I would like it though. Since you like this, I would recommend the movie Creepshow. It's directed by George Romero and written by Stephen King. It was a lot better than I expected.

Tussell
08-08-2010, 12:51 AM
I've seen like 1 episode on Chiller. I bet I would like it though. Since you like this, I would recommend the movie Creepshow. It's directed by George Romero and written by Stephen King. It was a lot better than I expected.
Psh, you think I haven't seen Creepshow? :p One of my favorite horror movies. I've got the second one too, which is fun as well. However, I sprung for the third one, knowing well what I was getting myself into. Absolutely horrible. They're lucky they were able to snag the title of it, because it's the only thing that could help sell it.

dakisbac
08-08-2010, 12:56 AM
It's been SO long since I watched that show that I don't remember the particulars about any of the episodes. Great show though.

I just wiki'd it (as is my way) and holy shit did they have a lot of talent provide voices for them. Check it out (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_from_the_Crypt_%28TV_series%29#Notable_guest _stars_and_directors).

Tussell
08-08-2010, 12:58 AM
It's been SO long since I watched that show that I don't remember the particulars about any of the episodes. Great show though.

I just wiki'd it (as is my way) and holy shit did they have a lot of talent provide voices for them. Check it out (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_from_the_Crypt_%28TV_series%29#Notable_guest _stars_and_directors).
Voices? They acted. You might be thinking of the short-lived cartoon for kids, Tales from the Cryptkeeper.

dakisbac
08-08-2010, 05:25 AM
Voices? They acted. You might be thinking of the short-lived cartoon for kids, Tales from the Cryptkeeper.

Lol, I fail. I've never seen your show then, but I'll take your word that it's good.

Tussell
08-08-2010, 07:51 AM
Lol, I fail. I've never seen your show then, but I'll take your word that it's good.
Just out of curiosity, what were you thinking I was talking about?

KSizzle
08-08-2010, 01:03 PM
I loved this damn show. I remember when I was young waiting to watch the new ones on Sunday nights on HBO (think it was sunday). A few of my favorite eps were the Santa Clause killer one, The siamese twins, the fat guy with Demi Moore in it, the guy with 9 lives and the little kid who was locked in his room and forced to eat all the time. Sorry I couldn't have a better description for these but it really has been years since I have seen them. I need to get them on dvd! I also loved Tales From the Darkside and Monsters.

Dreamer84
08-08-2010, 02:11 PM
I use to love watching this show but damn it's been a long time I haven't watched an episode. I should buy some dvds and watch them

Tussell
08-09-2010, 03:27 AM
I use to love watching this show but damn it's been a long time I haven't watched an episode. I should buy some dvds and watch them
I'd say it's definitely worth it. This is definitely another show that I would consider highly re-watchable.

Joker0fLife
08-09-2010, 08:56 AM
I used to watch this show all the time with my dad. All I can remember though is the opening, and how much the skeleton freaked me out when it laughed, I always had to cover my eyes or hide myself in a blanket lol. I was only 3-4 years old, surprised I even remember it

Tussell
08-09-2010, 09:16 AM
I used to watch this show all the time with my dad. All I can remember though is the opening, and how much the skeleton freaked me out when it laughed, I always had to cover my eyes or hide myself in a blanket lol. I was only 3-4 years old, surprised I even remember it
It's funny because that's the same story I always hear whenever it's mentioned. "No... but I do remember the opening with the Cryptkeeper! I would always hide when he would jump out!"

I swear, it's everyones memory of the show!

Death Metal Jim
08-11-2010, 10:20 PM
Absolutely classic show which I loved staying up late to watch in the early 90s. Some of my favorite episodes include Cutting Cards, Television Terror, My Brother's Keeper, Split Second, Yellow, Split Personality, Death of Some Salesman, People Who Live In Brass Hearses, Let The Punishment Fit The Crime, Only Skin Deep (this episode is Hot, love that masked Lady ;)), Doctor Of Horror, and Comes The Dawn.

My most favorite episode of them all was Television Terror. Morton Downey Jr. just played such an awesome talk show prick, and I loved the whole premise from beginning to end. But the episode that made me laugh the MOST was from Split Personality. Joe Pesci is looking to con these two rich twins into marrying him and his "twin brother". But the hilarious part that always makes me lmfao is when he first walks up to the house. Here's the clip :).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFyXUUJumAM

blackhandgang
08-26-2010, 03:34 AM
I only got to watch them when I was still a kid and was able to watch without waking my parents. But I just got the first 4 seasons for $40 at Target and neve been slowly going through them. I think one of my favorites is the one with Leah Thompson, because, well, it's Leah Thompson. Hotness right there!

13ip0lar
08-26-2010, 08:09 PM
I remember this show also, inspired many E.T. infused nightmares. Mainly with me brutally murdering E.T. Maybe it was just me but E.T. was scary, anyways that's a story for another time.

The episodes I recall the most are the doll ones. Those scared the crap out of me, not cause I'm scared of dolls in particular but because my mom collected old dolls along with bears. When I was living in Houston, my mom had this creepy-ass doll at the end of the hallway which is where my room was. So basically every time it was late at night, I would either run into my room or turn on the light to make sure it wasn't alive or had a knife then dash into my room.

Good times... >_>

Juggernautroar
08-26-2010, 08:14 PM
never saw the show tbh :( but i loved the spin off movies - Demon Knight and Bordello of Blood. love creepshow too :woop:

Jemocasa
08-28-2010, 06:43 PM
Used to watch this show all the time. My favourite episode is Oil's Well That Ends Well. It starred Lou Diamond Phillips and Priscilla Presley. Another one that I really liked was Carrion Death with Kyle MacLachlan.