PDA

View Full Version : Playing in Russian.

Rapturous Rich
08-04-2010, 08:42 AM
I thought this was a really awesome touch to the game. I was browsing through the options and saw that under languages you can have the game play in either English or Russian. So I've now turned subtitles on for my second playthrough and having the characters speaking their native tongues feels a lot more immersive than the generic "Da, in Soviet Russia, game play YOU!" accents.

Who else has done this on their playthroughs? And shouldn't more games do this?

its delicious
08-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Yes, more games should do this.

Wullsterino
08-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Thanks for pointing this out! The English voice work was actually fairly decent to be fair, and much better than a lot of games.

Lost Odyssey would have been unplayable if you hadn't been able to switch the language to Japanese!

oDrPepper
08-05-2010, 03:14 PM
I didn't see this option, I'll probably try it on my Enlightened playthrough.

SallyNasty
08-06-2010, 04:28 PM
Quick question - can you have the voices be in russian and the subtitles in english?

oDrPepper
08-06-2010, 04:32 PM
Quick question - can you have the voices be in russian and the subtitles in english?

Yes, but only main characters get subtitles. Any conversations going on with minor characters won't have subtitles so if you're interested in listening to every conversation, keep it in english.

ImpendIn_Agony
08-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Got to admit that's a pretty snazzy touch. One other game I remember doing something similar was one the DW games. They actually had the option for Chinese. It just had an interesting effect on the game.

TheDarkCorsair
08-07-2010, 10:16 PM
hmm, I did notice this but never set it on Russian, as I was after the achievements and I thought listening and knowing what they said would be important. But on my playthrough for the DLC chievos (once fixed) I will put it on Russian I reckon...I Played it 4 times through in total for achievements anyway lol!

Abstraktum
08-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Year realy nice option. First time i played it in German (German version got 3 languages: German, English, Russian), but all later walkthroughs I only used Russian language with German subtitles.

It's just better atmosphere and let's you more into the game.

THE RVB Church
08-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Yes I liked this feature and think more games should support stuff like this.

Zaku77
08-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Thanks for pointing this out! The English voice work was actually fairly decent to be fair, and much better than a lot of games.

Lost Odyssey would have been unplayable if you hadn't been able to switch the language to Japanese!

Are you kidding me? That game had some of the best and most believable voice acting I've ever heard in an RPG. It was actually one of the highlights of the game!

Arenazombie
08-11-2010, 04:03 PM
I think every game should let u choose at least the languages that already ship with the game but some games auto set ur language to what your xbox is set to.
I have my xbox set to german and couldn't choose to play in english for quite a few games for example Left 4 Dead 1&2, Rise of the Argonauts, ... even though I have the Games from England.
So when different languages are on a games disc why don't give U the option to choose which one U want to play in?

mh644
08-17-2010, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the tip! I'll have to do this on my second playthrough. This reminds me of the first .Hack games that would let you choose voice over languages. More games should do this, if it fits the story/environment.