PDA

View Full Version : Why the Hate?

lizard9979
08-06-2010, 05:36 PM
After reading the hundreds of comments on the board for Mad Moxxi and everyone complaining about how bad they are. I ask a question....why the hate for this horde mode?

Okay pretty much every game seems to have these now and I think Borderlands really knocked it out of the park with this one. I love this game and this DLC.

I love hwo every wave can be different with the modifications they put on, like sniper round, shotgun round, etc... the game rewards you for having a balanced player and I just think it is a lot of fun.

If you compare this to Horder in Gears 2. This is much more random and expansive than Gears, which spawns the same characters, the same statistical benefits and the same people every wave. This game has different random bosses, different mods on each round and with the million and 1 weapons available it makes the waves totally different in my opinion. Especialy compared to Horde and firefight.

NathAttack
08-06-2010, 06:48 PM
This DLC = good fun.

People = stupid, and with a sense of entitlement [when it comes to achievements] that makes me want to vomit.

So you had to work for some achievements. Cry me a river.
With all of the time some people have spent on this board complaining, they could have gone and done all of the arenas 5 times over instead.

TheVoidRose
08-06-2010, 09:28 PM
This DLC = good fun.

People = stupid, and with a sense of entitlement [when it comes to achievements] that makes me want to vomit.

So you had to work for some achievements. Cry me a river.
With all of the time some people have spent on this board complaining, they could have gone and done all of the arenas 5 times over instead.

I agree with you 100%, some people just don't like to work hard for anything(it reflects in all aspects of their life btw). I love all the DLC's for Borderlands! I love Zombies, I love Co-op killing, and I love new weapons/levels/enemies/bosses. Moxxi's DLC was as great as the others but opinions are opinions.

lizard9979
08-06-2010, 10:10 PM
You two are like the very first I have ever seen say they actually like this DLC. LOL!!!

Good to know I am not the only one. Well my son and I are not the only ones. We love this DLC.

Malkaiah
08-06-2010, 10:52 PM
I'm happy to admit I loved the DLC too, was funny at times and downright enjoyable along with a nice challenge.

I have to admit also that a few things did annoy me about it, namely the inability to save and resume at a later point, it kinda ruled out me getting into it when I didn't have much time on my hands. That's mainly me not liking to leave things unfinished though.

The second thing that really got to me more than anything, is that when you die you start back at the beginning of the PREVIOUS round, wave 1. I wouldn't have minded re-doing the wave you're on, or even being put back to wave 1 of the round you're on. But getting to a boss wave and then dying as a result of poor judgement then to be thrown back an entire round, that was the big annoyance for me.

Other than those two points I loved it, it's a pretty decent way to rank up your challenges too. :D

The Filthy Goat
08-06-2010, 10:58 PM
The hate stems from a lot of things wrong with it. It's not even the difficulty for the achievements. It's that any number of things could have made it better. Make it so that we can get exp, or at the very least weapon proficiency. Make it so that the bad guys can drop loot, or health even. I would have loved to the option to save and come back to it as opposed to being required to do a 3+ hour sitting. My 16 month old son loves to just walk up and turn off the xbox, which he did 12 rounds in to one of the tourneys. Not that that is the fault of the game design, but ooooohhhhh.... that's frustrating.

ColdSpider72
08-07-2010, 01:32 PM
^^^What he said. Comparing this to horde mode on Gears 2 is ridiculous because you get EXP playing horde. And it is only 50 total waves at the most....not 20 waves with 5 rounds in each wave, totaling 100. I'm not sure how you haven't noticed out of all of the threads you say you read, that you didn't notice that most people complained about the lack of EXP or even weapon leveling. You spend 3+ hours getting through one "map" and your character has nothing to show for it except an achievement. THAT was the main gripe.

Malkaiah
08-07-2010, 02:26 PM
But on the topic of Exp it would have made it massively easy to farm exp and boost levels due to how easy it is to go against massive loads of respawning enemies. Now I'm not sure if you've noticed, but game developers try their hardest in most instances to limit the number of ways people can boost or beat a levelling system. The lack of exp in Moxxi felt like just that to me, I wouldn't have minded a bit of a chunk as a congratulations for finishing one of the larger challenges, even if it was done as a one-off quest it would have been nice.

In my eyes it's a good thing they removed drops and exp, made it feel more like an arena and less like a grindathon. :)

lizard9979
08-07-2010, 03:53 PM
^^^What he said. Comparing this to horde mode on Gears 2 is ridiculous because you get EXP playing horde. And it is only 50 total waves at the most....not 20 waves with 5 rounds in each wave, totaling 100. I'm not sure how you haven't noticed out of all of the threads you say you read, that you didn't notice that most people complained about the lack of EXP or even weapon leveling. You spend 3+ hours getting through one "map" and your character has nothing to show for it except an achievement. THAT was the main gripe.

Sorry my friend but your arguement does not make sense.

Gears originally did not have exp at all on Horde and it was still awesome!!

Not to mention experience in Gears means absolutely nothing in game. Experience in Gears is for reputation only.
While in BL it alters the world you play in. I personally would not have appreciated borderlands if someone could just do the underdome to hit level 30.

I get where you are coming from in terms of your character not benefitting at all in game. I do agree with that. But I think because of the amount of kills you have and the length of the games that you could nto do profiency or exp because it would knock the balance of the rest of the game off. Although I personally picked up a wicked sniper rifle. so you can benefit from that.

My comparison is to the game mechanics. People call the underdome ridiculously repetitive. I think it has much more variety than Horde or firefight.

also... you can get money if you have the swipe add on to a hunter. I collect about 5,000 per wave at level 36.

lizard9979
08-07-2010, 03:55 PM
My 16 month old son loves to just walk up and turn off the xbox, which he did 12 rounds in to one of the tourneys. Not that that is the fault of the game design, but ooooohhhhh.... that's frustrating.

That sucks!!! Can definetely understand the frustration there.

Our Xbox is hidden and out of the way because of reasons like that and my youngest is 5. LOL!!!

ColdSpider72
08-07-2010, 05:34 PM
So you are saying the developers chose not to add EXP gain because they didnt want people to farm? Then how do you explain Crawmerax?? People are farming that all the time and it takes about 2 mins per farm with a full team or someone with a seriously modded weapon. Either way, whether this is a separate DLC is besides the point because its the same developer with the same ideals....so If they didnt add it simply so people couldnt level up fast than that doesnt make sense since they didnt patch out the ability to power level people or infinitely farm Crawmerax. Saying my "argument" doesnt make sense is just ignorant because I simply stated my OPINION on what I believe to be most peoples' gripes with the DLC....isnt that what this thread was based on? Why people dont like the DLC? I gave an opinion based answer....no need to flame me for it. Why dont you start a poll and include "no exp" as a choice and see which reason gets the most votes.

I realize you are just looking for people to agree with you instead of having a healthy debate so I will appease you in the future and not respond to further "inquiries".

Malkaiah
08-07-2010, 08:46 PM
So you are saying the developers chose not to add EXP gain because they didnt want people to farm? Then how do you explain Crawmerax??

I didn't say farming, I said boosting. Farming is a fact of all RPGs, most actually rely on it for most of the sidequests. But boosting is different, if you got, say 20,000 exp every time you killed Crawmerax then they would have done something about it. But you don't get exp for the Underdome as by the end of one of the larger challenges I'd expect you'd have killed enough enemies to get around 10,000 exp or so. Considering there's over 1k enemies in one larger challenge, providing you don't die and have to repeat rounds, I can see how you'd get easily that much. So you've got a way of getting a decent amount of exp with very little effort required, which is exactly what RPG developers try to stop.

In the RPG world, powerlevelling removes the challenge of the game, hence why most RPG developers try to prevent powerlevelling and boosting. :)

ColdSpider72
08-08-2010, 01:17 AM
But on the topic of Exp it would have made it massively easy to farm exp.....

As you can see, I was using your words. You can easily boost EXP, which is what I was referring to, by doing multiple Craw runs....shooting his minions alone will net you tons of EXP. I went from a 54 to 61 on my first run with 2 others in less than 5 minutes. Soooo....as I was saying, the original topic was "why the hate?" and I simply provided an opinion based on what I have heard from many, many people regarding this DLC. Did the TC not want an answer??

TwinTipZ
08-30-2010, 09:12 PM
I don't hate the DLC per say, but the lack of saving and finishing later is quite annoying.

mikemc
08-30-2010, 09:15 PM
I don't hate the DLC per say, but the lack of saving and finishing later is quite annoying.

exactly! it's so frustrating not having the ability to save at certain points and then go back and resume playing

Thicketford
09-08-2010, 04:01 PM
We don't hate the idea, just the implementation. Forcing you to play for 3 hours if you want to complete an arena is ridiculous. So is forcing you back a wave if you die. All the DLC needs is a save feature.

Corhrtz
09-08-2010, 04:43 PM
I've enjoyed it so far. I haven't completed it, but I have to say the only problem I had with it is not being able to save. I don't always have 4+ hours to play and neither does my brother (we co-op through the whole game). So if I were able to save half way even that would be cool. All in all a good challenge.

Eternaltriumph
09-08-2010, 04:43 PM
I agree with the offending party. For the most part, it's not that it was a superterrible DLC. No, it was a horde mode you paid $10 for. I personally disliked the feel of it, but that's my opinion. So I didn't like the DLC. Now, aside from the feel...here is exactly what people tend to find wrong and dislike it for.

1) The utter lack of a save system. I'm not saying after every round, no. It is not the fact that a team wipe drags you back a round; that's just incentive to play defensively and not go in thinking you're Rambo. Even if it was just ONE save, at the end of round 10. By round 10, most people are freaking burnt and need a break. I would have much rathered been able to put it down, agree with friends to meet back in two hours and start up again...but instead we had to sit and grit it, taking 5 minute breaks in between because it was just stupid long.

2) Lack of reward. Even if enemies gave 5% of their normal EXP, the fact you do not get ANYTHING except an achievement for sitting through four hours of the same thing makes people feel like it was an utter waste of time in the end. Hell...even something like a new color pallet or something. Just SOMETHING to feel accomplished with, other than stroking your e-penis with 20Gamerscore.

3) The price as opposed to other Borderlands DLC. Go play Zombie Isle or Knoxx, then play Moxxi. You pay $10 for each, but Zombie Isle and Knoxx are an actual in-game experience that has the true Gearbox comedy feel to it. When people stop and think, it feels like we paid $10 for a new mode that is just that; a storyless, fruitless and MUCH, MUCH, MUCH smaller Borderlands experience than the other two DLCs.

But to be honest...it wasn't the worst thing I've ever played on xbox. You just won't catch me ever doing them again.

Fafy
09-13-2010, 12:03 PM
This DLC held a good purpose. A storage bank, 1 extra skill point each Playthrough and many enemies for you to kill.

A problem, however, for me, lies if you're at round 20 and you get the worst possible rule setup, Naked, Vampire, Ironhide and Beefcake against Baron Flynt. Trust me, I know how that feels.

If it wasn't for that entire matter, that this DLC is the most frustrating out of all of them. And there's also nothing rewarding when you actually do beat a 20 round arena. You get this fancy achievement, then what? It's averagely 3+ hours for an achievement, 9+ for 4 achievements total.

I sat through all 20 rounds of Hell-Burbia alone, all 20 rounds of The Gully with two friends, and 15 rounds alone on The Angelic Ruins then the last 5 with the same two friends.

You get alot of enemies to kill... but after 3 hours, wouldn't it have felt rather repetitive?

That concludes my rant on Mad Moxxi's Underdome.

TFU
09-13-2010, 04:39 PM
My brother and I have been playing through it and it's an okay DLC. We think the "Small Tournament" achievement is glitched, so it's quickly spiraling down the ladder to "shitty DLC".

Also, for a lot of people, this DLC is being compared to the worth and value of other DLC's. Just look at the other DLC's. Do you really think this is better than the Secret Armory or the Zombie Island?

But I can't be too surprised that someone likes the DLC that many consider to be the worst. I know people who thought Mothership Zeta was one of the best of the Fallout DLC's.

Klebo
09-19-2010, 01:13 AM
I like the DLC as a hordes game but to make it as long as it was its like a whole other game and when you haven't got 3 hours to sit down and do 1 set of 20 rounds it kinda gets a bit gay

mortug
09-19-2010, 01:58 AM
above posts leads to my question: why the hate against the haters?

h 3 d f x
09-19-2010, 01:45 PM
I loved this DLC.. In fact, i just love the game, i am happy to play whatever gearbox throws my way.

Ohheythere
09-21-2010, 10:41 PM
Well, I think all the main points have been covered. I sat through these all by my lonesome after I couldn't convince my brother or my wife to play with me. Just too repetitive and cumbersome. Compared to the other two DLCs...it simply doesn't stand tall. Zombie Island was awesome and funny. General Knoxx was more of the same and even more missions. Moxxi's underdome consisted of three levels horde style. Repetitive. Wave after wave. Same comments by Moxxi. It all just got to be too much.

As for the achievements...they took awhile but I felt rewarded in the end. Needless to say I won't be playing Moxxi's Underdome anytime soon. Not the most hated of DLC but not even close the being worth the price of 800 MSP (I paid 400 and it was still too much).

Dead Space Girl
09-22-2010, 04:57 AM
So you are saying the developers chose not to add EXP gain because they didnt want people to farm? Then how do you explain Crawmerax?? People are farming that all the time and it takes about 2 mins per farm with a full team or someone with a seriously modded weapon. Either way, whether this is a separate DLC is besides the point because its the same developer with the same ideals....so If they didnt add it simply so people couldnt level up fast than that doesnt make sense since they didnt patch out the ability to power level people or infinitely farm Crawmerax. Saying my "argument" doesnt make sense is just ignorant because I simply stated my OPINION on what I believe to be most peoples' gripes with the DLC....isnt that what this thread was based on? Why people dont like the DLC? I gave an opinion based answer....no need to flame me for it. Why dont you start a poll and include "no exp" as a choice and see which reason gets the most votes.

I realize you are just looking for people to agree with you instead of having a healthy debate so I will appease you in the future and not respond to further "inquiries".
I just wanted to say this post is 100% profoundly awesome and true, especially the last sentence.

I Am Vengeance
09-29-2010, 09:18 PM
the dlc was alright. i enjoyed it stricly because i LOVE borderlands. but everything that people have said is was wrong with it is true. and i mean people will bitch about it not having any "worth" in regards to unlockables, but they still stuck through it. why? achievements. there you go. a reason to do it.

PurpleSkwid
09-30-2010, 10:17 AM
It really isn't as bad as everybody makes it out to be.
If you go in thinking it'll be a chore, then yes, it'll be a chore.

I put off buying this because of what everybody was saying, and then even after my boyfriend bought it for me, meaning I got it for free, I still put it off for months, because of the horrible reputation it had.

Finally sat down today to do it.
Slab of coke. Plenty of food. My laptop open with How I Met Your Mother playing.
Three hours flew by.
I would have just been sitting here today anyway, so it was nice actually getting an achievement for sitting on my ass for three hours.

Really, not as bad as people make it out to be.
Sure, saving at the end would have been nice, but then I would have put it off even longer. It was easy enough to pause the game every so often to have a slight break.

WordBearer
10-08-2010, 09:05 AM
The hate stems from a lot of things wrong with it. It's not even the difficulty for the achievements. It's that any number of things could have made it better. Make it so that we can get exp, or at the very least weapon proficiency. Make it so that the bad guys can drop loot, or health even. I would have loved to the option to save and come back to it as opposed to being required to do a 3+ hour sitting. My 16 month old son loves to just walk up and turn off the xbox, which he did 12 rounds in to one of the tourneys. Not that that is the fault of the game design, but ooooohhhhh.... that's frustrating.

And therein lies my problem I have an 11 month old boy. I don't have 3+ hours to commit to a game in one sitting. I LOVE BORDERLANDS! But I think no save point was ridiculous. It really made me ponder if anyone at Gearbox who had kids ever spoke up about this. Maybe working on Borderlands made them infertile. :)

Stormcougar
10-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Biggest problem: Lack of content.

This didn't add nothing to the game worth $10, yes I bought it, but wouldn't have if I'd of known what I do now.

Adding a mindless grind to make up for lack of content is now a valid option.

olomon2009
10-10-2010, 07:21 PM
no didnt have to work hard for achievments bought a game set on boring repeat:uzi::eek: someone end the moxxie madness

Ice Car
10-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Biggest problem: Lack of content.

:whs

Lack of content. A storage bank and 2 skill points, one per playthrough? YES PLEASE. I like the small tournaments, but seriously, a 20 round tournament with no saves, 4 nerfs, and pretty much triple health, triple shields, and triple damage for enemies near the end it fucked up. A 20 round tournament will take a good 6 hours, assuming you die once or twice.

If you are doing it in co-op, you'd better have a diaper or a soda bottle or something to piss in since there's no pausing. (Pretty bad joke)

Assuming you don't spend that 18 hours doing the tournaments, you will have 2 hours of content at most, minus the time you use to access your bank. 2 hours of content. Wow Gearbox. Wow me some more. :uzi::uzi::uzi:

Stormcougar
10-10-2010, 10:48 PM
The plus of the expansion is defiantly the storage and extra skills.

The 20 rounds is a tad excessive. I'd rather do 5 of the mini's for a single achievement then 1 of the 20 rounders for an achievement, even if it means more time in the grand scheme to complete.

Tylosargerchia
11-30-2010, 07:18 PM
Because it sucks. Bad.

Demendred
12-08-2010, 05:11 AM
This DLC is goddamn hard!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand that's why I love it.

If games were easy, they would be boring.

Scotty
12-08-2010, 09:59 PM
i dont think this deserves the hate it gets. it was just a massive side step from the norm and people didn't expect it. it could of been better but it was damn fun just wasting old bosses and bandits alike.:uzi:

LynnTerra
12-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Forgive this wierd analogy but I view Mad Moxxi as the "Halloween 3" of gaming. It doesn't relate to anything from the actual game except in name really.

Putting that aside though, the game came be fun for those who enjoy "arena" co-op style play (ala Horde).

Yes, those looking to snag the achievements will have to work for it (oh heaven forbid people actually work for them!) but I play Mad Moxxi mostly for the enjoyment of playing alongside other like minded people who just like to actually band together (instead of doing their own thing like seems to be the normal on other co-op style games) and tackle things as a team.

This, to me, is a DLC that actually has actual teamwork as there is no real "reward" at the end of it all. Thus seperating the men from the boys.

ultratog1028
12-15-2010, 12:28 AM
The mode is alright. It's the achievements asking for the impossible. Without mods, It could easily take 6 hours to get through the longer challenges.

Ice Car
12-15-2010, 12:37 AM
This DLC is goddamn hard!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand that's why I love it.

If games were easy, they would be boring.
No, I don't think so.

I believe the word you are looking for is time-consuming. Very very time-consuming. If anything, it's hard to find a large enough chunk of free time to be playing the game for at least 3 hours straight, no saving, checkpoints, and whilst being set back a round for making an error and dying behind a low barrier or with no second winds.

It's time-consuming as fuck, and it's just stupid because 20 rounds straight without saving takes a long time, not even counting those setbacks.

Seraph Xii
12-15-2010, 12:13 PM
I hate this DLC for a few reasons:

1) No exp, I'm level 69 but I'm not 100% on proficiencies so that wouldn've been good to have.
2) It's not hard, it's just long. I use a serpens and a high level ogre and just tear through pretty much everything but that said it still takes ages.
3) My biggest gripe with this DLC is the inability to save during the waves, I'm sorry but I don't always have this much time to devote to a game, but if I need to come off I can't just pause it if someone else wants the xbox. Not that I'd want to spend more than 3 hours doing the same thing 100 times anyway...

Seems the only reason to buy this DLC is for the bank.
I probably won't go for the achievements in this DLC, but who knows.

Edit: Oh and while I remember, being set back to the previous round, wave 1 if you die is just ridiculous and even more time consuming.

craft3maker
12-15-2010, 10:58 PM
You could not be anymore right with your statement Mad Moxxi is a load of fun who cares if you do not get xp you play the game to have fun.

Ice Car
12-15-2010, 11:02 PM
You could not be anymore right with your statement Mad Moxxi is a load of fun who cares if you do not get xp you play the game to have fun.
You don't read comments do you?

Big Tournaments take roughly 2-3 hours even when enemies are level 15, and a single death would put you back a round, and not to mention no save points. Plus it could hardly even be called a DLC. It's a ripoff of other arena based games. (I believe one was Horde Mode) It's good fun, yeah, but only for the first few hours. It's very repetitive, little variety, and the only other things are the storage bank, and the 2 skill points. Oh, and 1 mission which pretains to the small tournaments.

pined5551
01-06-2011, 12:04 AM
After reading the hundreds of comments on the board for Mad Moxxi and everyone complaining about how bad they are. I ask a question....why the hate for this horde mode?

Okay pretty much every game seems to have these now and I think Borderlands really knocked it out of the park with this one. I love this game and this DLC.

I love hwo every wave can be different with the modifications they put on, like sniper round, shotgun round, etc... the game rewards you for having a balanced player and I just think it is a lot of fun.

If you compare this to Horder in Gears 2. This is much more random and expansive than Gears, which spawns the same characters, the same statistical benefits and the same people every wave. This game has different random bosses, different mods on each round and with the million and 1 weapons available it makes the waves totally different in my opinion. Especialy compared to Horde and firefight.

You say Gears has the same enemies all the time, and that bosses and enemies are always different on this?? There is nothing different about any of the enemies on this game. They are all simply generic objects to shoot. Gears enemies need to be attacked/killed in different ways at least. All the bosses may have different names, that's it. They look different, all are just things that need ammo pumped into them. This is nothing but boring. 1300 enemies to track down and kill in the same monotonous ways. CRAP!

Reverendjc
02-24-2011, 11:42 PM
I must agree with many of the comments regarding length/content. I came into the Underdome not knowing much about it, beat the 3 short challenges and had a relatively good time. A little surprised at the lack of exp. and decent end of round weapon drops, but thought nothing of it and was quite happy.

But wait, what's this? You now want me to go through the same three maps, and spend many, many times more in each, when I'm already a little bored of them? In a single sitting?! 3 hours??!! It's simply a poor idea. I've never played the much lauded Horde and Firefight modes, but given their popularity there has to be something that elevates them above this.

I've also found this game rather unstable, so what of the issue of game breaking glitches that could potentially waste hours of time? I guess its pretty clear which camp I'm in! Finished with the Underdome and won't be back, I'm off to spend my time on the other wholly excellent DLC available for this game :)

Majestic509
02-25-2011, 03:11 AM
This DLC was very time consuming and you don't even get experience for killing the enemies. The only good thing about it was that you get random weapons at the end of the 5th rounds.

Majestic509
02-25-2011, 03:13 AM
:drunk agreed
:whs

Lack of content. A storage bank and 2 skill points, one per playthrough? YES PLEASE. I like the small tournaments, but seriously, a 20 round tournament with no saves, 4 nerfs, and pretty much triple health, triple shields, and triple damage for enemies near the end it fucked up. A 20 round tournament will take a good 6 hours, assuming you die once or twice.

If you are doing it in co-op, you'd better have a diaper or a soda bottle or something to piss in since there's no pausing. (Pretty bad joke)

Assuming you don't spend that 18 hours doing the tournaments, you will have 2 hours of content at most, minus the time you use to access your bank. 2 hours of content. Wow Gearbox. Wow me some more. :uzi::uzi::uzi: