PDA

View Full Version : Character Guide - Jonathan Morris

PakoRawr
08-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Jonathan Morris

"A young man whose clan the Belmonts entrusted with their sacred whip, the Vampire Killer. While he comes across as less than serious, he never backs away from his responsibilities: he chose to fight Dracula even with his knowledge that the whip would steal part of his life to make up for his lack of experience. Jonathan can learn a variety of Martial Arts by collecting the right scrolls."

Credits: PakoRawr, icky2049 [For Giving Me The Idea], colarider [Paper Airplane], Lao Shan Dragon [Tons Of Data], Darmonde [Item Drops].
Guide Status: INCOMPLETE.
Goal: That every 360a Forum User can use this as support to max out this character in game.
Note: Any Help to fill in the blanks will be appreciated.

Anyways, Morris is one of the most hated characters in the game, because his damage output is way weaker compared to the other characters.. He's not bad, but he's not the best; He is best used as a support character, and if You're like me and you want the full experience by levelling all the characters, this will help you.

1-. Basic Breakdown: Morris uses the Whip as his main weapon, he can equip up to 4 subweapons for each B combination, he can use Rb to Guard himself, and he can use a variety of Martial Arts.

2-. The Whip: It starts off real weak, but it levels up as you level up your Sub weapons. It has 2 basic attacks: Tapping X to attack and Holding X so you can control the whip movement, it only deals 1 damage but it works for really weak enemies.

3-. Sub Weapons: The Joy of The Vampire Killers. Alot of variety here, these weapons level up as you use them, getting stronger and granting power to the Whip.

4-. Martial Arts: These are button combinations A-la Fighting Games, You learn them by getting scrolls on chests or as enemiy drops; they can get stronger if you upgrade your stats with equipment.

**Equipment**

Jonathan has access to Mastery rings (200k Each) that allow to level Sub Weapons faster; He has also the unique "Simon" Equipment.

Head: Samurai Helmet.
Torso: God's Garb, Biker's Jacket.

Boots: Samurai Leggings, Platinum Leggings.
Cape: Assassin's Cape, Elven Cape, Paludamentum.
Accesory 1: Mastery Ring, Red Scarf, Megingiod.
Accesory 2: Mastery Ring, Sage Ring.
*Note: These are just recommendations.
[Needs more information].

**Levelling Strategies**

Chapter 3 is usually a good choice for single player, if you hit the legs of the boss You'll only inflict 1 dmg per attack.
Survival Mode boosting with a partner is a good choice if you have a partner.
**Related Posts**

Charlotte Guide by icky2049:
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=249643
Shanoa Guide by Defil3dHeadshot:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=251006
Rare Drop List by Dustin1280:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=252188
Item Lists by Lao Shan Dragon:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=251660

**Space Reserved For More Information if Needed**

PakoRawr
08-07-2010, 07:51 PM
**Sub Weapons**

-Knife (You Start With It):
Throwing Weapon used by hunters.
MP: 8

-Holy Water:
Blessed Water that wounds off evil.
Mp: 20
Dropped By: Ch6 Chests.

-Boomerang:
Throwing weapon that returns to the thrower in an arc.
Mp: 12
Dropped By: Ch2 Chests, Ch4 Chests, Gurkha Master.

-Axe:
Throwing weapon that is specially effective against overhead users.
Mp: 15
Dropped By: Axe Knight.

-Bible
Book containing words that exorcise evil.
MP: 20
Dropped By: Ch2 Purple Chests.

-Cross
Holy cross that dispels evil.
MP: 20

-Grenade
Explodes for fire damage one second after the pin is pulled.
MP: 15
Dropped By: Ch1 Chests, Ch2 Chests, The Creature.

-Kunai
A ninja's knife; it is also a deadly throwing weapon.
MP: 12
Dropped By: Ch4 Chests.

-Paper Airplane
Not terrible intimidating, but just might put someone's eye out.
MP: 5
Dropped By: Fleaman.

-Ricochet Rock
Weapon that bounces back after hitting walls.
Dropped By: Lerajie.

-Wrecking Ball
A steel Ball with devastating destructive power.
Dropped By: Ch3 Chests.

-Shuriken
Throwing weapon used by ninjas.
MP: 12
Dropped By: Ch5 Chests.

**Will update when there's more**

PakoRawr
08-07-2010, 07:51 PM
**Martial Arts**

-Guard (Initially Available):
Assume a stance that boosts Your defense.
Rb.

-Danger Knee:
Deliver a sharp, flying knee strike.
Back, Down, Forward, Y.
Dropped By: Ch2 Chests.

-Forward Roll:
*Needs Description.
Forward, Down, Back, Forward, Y.
Dropped By: Ch3 Chests.

-Uppercut:
Perform a soaring uppercut.
Down, Up, Y.
Dropped By: Ch4 Chests.

-Sonic Strike:
*Needs Description.
Up, Back, Down, Forward, Y.

icky2049
08-07-2010, 08:20 PM
This is a good idea. When i finish Charlotte's Guide ill be sure to play this guy to try and help you out anyway i can.

colarider
08-07-2010, 08:23 PM
I got me an paper airplane wich sucks but like the jonathan character

PakoRawr
08-07-2010, 09:06 PM
This is a good idea. When i finish Charlotte's Guide ill be sure to play this guy to try and help you out anyway i can.
Yeah, I really felt like doing this because the Charlotte guide really helped me alot :].

Just Added the Drop's to the list I forgot them sorry
Thanks alot for all the data, I updated it already, there's just a couple of blanks missing, I already put your name in the credits :D.

PakoRawr
08-07-2010, 09:09 PM
Haha sorry, I updated it now.

seraphimneeded
08-07-2010, 10:43 PM
Danger Knee is NOT initially available.

PakoRawr
08-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Danger Knee is NOT initially available.
Thanks, Updated Now.

Mikesahhh
08-07-2010, 11:52 PM
So you say his whip gets more powerful from levelling up his supweapon level skills but does that only count for the 4 subweapon you use on him or does it count for the other ones that arent attached to him?

and can you level all the subweapons up to max level at the start? or do you have to complete the game on hardmode to be able to do that? cause i got my subweapons around about to level 4 then they didnt seem to wanna go up anymore but once i finished the game on normal mode they seem to be going up again or faster anyway

and man some of his subweapons are poor but some are allright and are his martial arts any good? i never seem to use them very much with this character

cynar
08-08-2010, 12:19 AM
You are missing Shuriken from that list.

Shuriken
Throwing weapon used by ninjas.(The higher the level the more shurikens come out)
MP 12
*pretty sure I got it from a chest

PakoRawr
08-08-2010, 01:12 AM
So you say his whip gets more powerful from levelling up his supweapon level skills but does that only count for the 4 subweapon you use on him or does it count for the other ones that arent attached to him?

and can you level all the subweapons up to max level at the start? or do you have to complete the game on hardmode to be able to do that? cause i got my subweapons around about to level 4 then they didnt seem to wanna go up anymore but once i finished the game on normal mode they seem to be going up again or faster anyway

and man some of his subweapons are poor but some are allright and are his martial arts any good? i never seem to use them very much with this character

I didn't understand the first question, but it's meant to be more powerful with the upgrades of the Sub Weapons that are listed up here.

Second, I'm not sure about it, but there's an Accesory, a ring that lets you level the Weapons faster.

Third, I have only liked the Uppercut so far, I guess it's just a matter of choice, But I'd stick with the Sub's.

You are missing Shuriken from that list.

Shuriken
Throwing weapon used by ninjas.(The higher the level the more shurikens come out)
MP 12
*pretty sure I got it from a chest

Thanks, It's Updated now.

cynar
08-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Sonic strike is useful for getting behind armoured targets(like the big ones in ch6 or the ones that throw their head) since you pass through them without taking damage if timed properly.

PakoRawr
08-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Yeah, it's actually an useful art...
Is there any way to get this guide and icky's stickied for future reference?

PakoRawr
08-08-2010, 09:50 PM
That's a good Idea... like the Final Fantasy XIII Encyclopedia post that is stickied...
But we need more guides, at least one for each character for it to work :/.

PakoRawr
08-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Yeah, we need people for Soma, Shanoa and Alucard Guides.

seraphimneeded
08-10-2010, 08:03 AM
Anyone know by level which subweapons and martial arts are available most commonly in chests? I ask mainly because I'm still searching for the Bible and Cross, but getting that info up there would be nice on a whole.

I know on Normal that Chapter 2 is most prone to giving you grenades and Chapter 4 seems prone to Kunai and Holy Water.

Sesing
08-10-2010, 10:20 AM
What are the best Weapons to use (Max Damage?)?

I use Knife, Bible, Holy Water and Boomerang, Im around Levels 2/3 with these Weapons.

BG_hojo72
08-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Anyone know by level which subweapons and martial arts are available most commonly in chests? I ask mainly because I'm still searching for the Bible and Cross, but getting that info up there would be nice on a whole.

i haven't noticed a trend as far as Martial Arts on specific stages. here's sub-weapon drops from what i can remember.

Holy Water - Chap. 6
Bible - Chap. 2
Cross - Chap. 6
Kunai - Chap. 4
Wrecking Ball - Chap. 3
Shuriken - Chap. 5

i think Holy Water can be found on Chap. 5 too, but i don't remember exactly. i know both the Cross and Holy Water can be dropped by Death.

icky2049
08-10-2010, 11:42 AM
For the Sonic Strike Description it's

Sonic Strike:
Run at high speed, slashing at foes as you pass.

seraphimneeded
08-10-2010, 12:49 PM
i haven't noticed a trend as far as Martial Arts on specific stages. here's sub-weapon drops from what i can remember.

Holy Water - Chap. 6
Bible - Chap. 2
Cross - Chap. 6
Kunai - Chap. 4
Wrecking Ball - Chap. 3
Shuriken - Chap. 5

i think Holy Water can be found on Chap. 5 too, but i don't remember exactly. i know both the Cross and Holy Water can be dropped by Death.
Are you certain the bible is 2? I've farmed it about 6 times now and have only gotten the grenade subweapon and never anything else while there.

koopi
08-10-2010, 01:52 PM
Does anyone know if I buy the Master Ring for 200k gold, if I lose my progress to the 1 million gold achievement? Or does is remember how much gold I had, even if I spend some? :D

icky2049
08-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Does anyone know if I buy the Master Ring for 200k gold, if I lose my progress to the 1 million gold achievement? Or does is remember how much gold I had, even if I spend some? :D

You must have 1mill in you bag.
so if you buy the mastery ring then it will just take longer to get the 1 mill achievement.

koopi
08-10-2010, 04:34 PM
You must have 1mill in you bag.
so if you buy the mastery ring then it will just take longer to get the 1 mill achievement.

Okay, thanks for that info. :)

HandymanJames
08-10-2010, 05:01 PM
Since the thread was deleted on my Jonathan Quick Leveling idea, I'll put this in here in the Jonathan guide. It all sounds good in theory I think but I need some people to actually test it out.

Here's what I figure should work, first off you need:

-1-2 Charlottes, both equipped with an Astral Ring and a heal spell.
-Jonathan, also equipped with an Astral Ring.
-Access to Chapter 3, I would assume Hard would be better for increased boss health.

Then here's what you do:

-Head to Chapter 3 and begin the boss battle and move all characters to one side(I would say left because his foot is easily attacked and easy to dodge.
-Stand near his foot and have Jonathan spam his sub-weapons.
-Charlottes alternate healing Jonathan and each other.
-Repeat until boss dies/time runs out or you obtain desired Mastery.

The boss will only take 1 damage per attack, Jonathan gets mastery with every hit, no character can ever die because the amount of healing is greater than the amount of damage they'll be taking from using their spells/subweapons.

It may still take awhile to level but I'm pretty sure that would be the fastest way to do it.

PakoRawr
08-10-2010, 05:11 PM
It might work, but I think Jonathan should use a Master Ring too, for even faster levelling.

Iceman9482
08-10-2010, 09:58 PM
Lao Shan Dragon, Where did you level your subweapons for Jonathan? And What techniques did you use?

Kahn13
08-11-2010, 06:40 AM
Does anyone actually know whether or not 2 equipped Mastery Rings make a difference or not?

HandymanJames
08-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Another idea I've actually been able to try is:

Join a Survival game with a friend and give Jonathan an Astral Ring. Choose Hard Chapter 1 and spam subweapons on the boss/the other player, you can level up pretty quickly though be careful using the boomerang or the cross as at about lv. 5+ you'll actually be able to kill the boss.

I took off all attack gear prior to doing this.

MonkeyFromZoo
08-12-2010, 02:50 PM
is there any visual change in jonathan?

obviously not including the changes in his sub weapons.

like a change in his whip or a flash? as i have seen flashing alucards i pressume that means they are maxed out. and have seen the charlottes with maces instead of axes..

MonkeyFromZoo
08-12-2010, 06:24 PM
and any ideas on best kit set ups? i have a few "simon's" items at the mo.. but is it simply the best set or have u found other items?

Order S0L
08-12-2010, 09:41 PM
@ Lao Shan Dragon What happens to jonathan's whip at max, anything significant or just gets longer?

Wrecking Ball quick guide: 2 master rings, chapter 6 hard, roll behind final guards and let em have it with the wrecking ball, it levels really fast that way.

oh and, anyone have a good way to lvl the axe?, I need a way to lvl this useless thing quick

MonkeyFromZoo
08-13-2010, 12:41 AM
do you get stronger for maxing out all sub weapons?

like if u use a steady 4 reagually.. and max all of them out.. will u then get more stats if you max out all the others?

Order S0L
08-13-2010, 01:45 AM
there is no change to the whip at all That means it just gets longer (compair to a starting jonathan to see the length, non noticable until compairson)

jojolouigi
08-13-2010, 04:18 AM
@ Lao Shan Dragon What happens to jonathan's whip at max, anything significant or just gets longer?

Wrecking Ball quick guide: 2 master rings, chapter 6 hard, roll behind final guards and let em have it with the wrecking ball, it levels really fast that way.

oh and, anyone have a good way to lvl the axe?, I need a way to lvl this useless thing quick

try level 3 hard. go to the yellow platform spam axes all the way down hitting boss's head should do 5 or 6 hits each throw~~ :Bounce:

PakoRawr
08-14-2010, 03:11 AM
Yes, Chapter 3 is best for levelling up;
And only the sub weapons change when they level up, but the Whip gets stronger.

waddledoo
08-15-2010, 06:44 AM
Jonathan Morris has equipment that only he can use
-head
Simon's bandanna
Bandanna passed down through generation of belmonts
-chest
Brilliant Mail
Increases subweapon strength
simon's plate
breast plate passed down through generation of belmonts
-feet
Simon's sandals
sandals passed down through generation of belmonts
location= chest from lvl 6 hard for all of them

MonkeyFromZoo
08-15-2010, 04:26 PM
simons plate is quite rare i assume. Or im just unbaliveably unlucky as i farm level 6 on hard constantly leveling my sub weaps and never had simons plate had the sandals and bandana loads.

PocketRockets
08-16-2010, 07:10 PM
I dont understand the sup weapons whip growth.

I get stronger if i max level ALL my sub weapons or just the 4 im using?

There's a max level for the subweapons?

PakoRawr
08-16-2010, 08:57 PM
He gets stronger while you level all the sub wepaons, and the max level is 9, there's a small green bar for each sub in the menu, check it out :].

Belvik
08-16-2010, 11:00 PM
Here's what me and my friend did to level our sub-weapons. Make a private survival match with someone on chapter 1 hard. Equip the weapons you want to level and 1 master ring + 1 astral ring. Spam the boss until you're low on HP and jump into the boss, then repeat.
If there's a sub-weapon you want to level faster, set it to your down+b. You can dash cancel the animation on the weapon set to down+b and throw it faster than normal.

rockoss
08-17-2010, 02:51 AM
I have a healbot Charlotte and I am trying to level up Jonathan. Anybody who has a healbot Charlotte want to take turns spamming with the astral ring to level up? GT: RockoSS

loopbeatstalker
08-17-2010, 09:42 AM
thanks for this

sera07
08-18-2010, 03:19 AM
monster drop

Axe - Axe Knight
Paper Airplane - Fleaman

And could you give more location for subweapon boosting? Just start Jonathan

PakoRawr
08-18-2010, 09:16 PM
You can go for Chapter 3, hit the boss in the legs.
I updated the guide with some recommended equipment and The Chapter 3 tactic to level up.

Jaquio316
08-19-2010, 02:08 AM
What level can I find the Bible on for Jonathan, that is the one sub weapon i am lacking.

A LIL LAD:uzi:

Brengun
08-19-2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks - nice guide, I haven't played much with Jonathan or Charlotte, so I might give him a go tonight.

PakoRawr
08-21-2010, 03:53 PM
@Jaquio: Just keep playing, You'll get it from Chests [Green, Purple]
@Brengun: Good luck with Jon :].

PakoRawr
08-23-2010, 03:21 AM
By the way, I'm adding more info on this guide tomorrow.

GI FacePUNCH
08-25-2010, 06:30 PM
Is CH.3 more faster than the survival? Because in survival you can die many times as you want while leveling up your skills while in ch.3 you have either a friend or no friend to support you...

PakoRawr
08-29-2010, 03:32 PM
It's not faster but It's better if You don't have someone to boost with.

Darmonde
08-31-2010, 02:48 PM
This guide REALLY needs locations for subweapons and martial arts- that's one of the main reasons someone new to Jonathan would look at a guide. All these are available on normal.

-Knife (You Start With It):
Never found in game

-Holy Water:
I found this in ch6 chests, also a boss chest (ch4 or ch5?)

-Boomerang:
Dropped By: Gurkha Master.
Also possible to find in ch 2 chests, but easy to get from the above in ch4.

-Axe:
Dropped By: Axe Knight.

-Bible
I only ever saw this from ch2 purple and boss chests.

-Cross
Found in ch6 chests, maybe ch5 also.

-Grenade
Dropped By: The Creature.
Also found in ch1 and ch2 chests.

-Kunai
Found mine in a ch4 chest. Took a while to get for me.

-Paper Airplane
Dropped By: Fleaman.

-Ricochet Rock
Dropped By: Lerajie.

-Wrecking Ball
Only ever saw this in ch3 chests.

-Shuriken
Found mine in ch5 green chest, so maybe available in ch4 purples. Have only seen 1, pretty rare.

-Guard (Initially Available):

-Danger Knee:
Ch2.

-Uppercut:
Ch4.

-Sonic Strike:
Ch6.

-Forward Roll:
Ch3.

waddledoo
09-09-2010, 09:40 PM
whats the best way to lvl up the bible

Dark-Raven-77
09-11-2010, 10:36 AM
whats the best way to lvl up the bible

My brother is playing with Jonathan (Astral Ring + Mastery Ring) and he stands near the feets of the chapter 3 boss. I support him with Charlotte (Astral Ring + Skull Ring) to heal him constantly.

If he want to level up his long range weapons (Kunai, Shuriken), we move to the platform, where you can find the 2 purple chests.

Short jump + fire (all the time) while Charlotte is healing Jonathan.

If you don't have a partner, maby Chaos Ring + Mastery Ring is the best way to level up faster.

Good luck.

Eclipsed-Blade
09-13-2010, 01:02 PM
I never saw it up top, but you can snag Simons Plate from Dracula on Hard, it took me awhile but i got it.

PakoRawr
09-13-2010, 09:30 PM
Darmonde: I updated the guide with the locations You specified, thanks.

Eclipsed-Blade
09-27-2010, 11:50 PM
Simons Bandana: Chapter 6 Hard (Purple Chest)
Simons Sandals: Chapter 6 Hard ( Purple Chest or Dracula Drop)
Simons Plate: Chapter 6 Hard (Dracula Drop)

Jonathan Morris.

Kinjin
07-18-2011, 08:15 PM
I picked up Holy Water twice on Chapter 4 Easy today- once from Purple chest, once from Boss chest.