PDA

View Full Version : Float like a butterfly.....first 5 minutes of the game.

NataSS Inc
08-09-2010, 02:41 AM
Just started playing this, ohhhh about 5 minutes ago after reading the guide.

You can pull this one off on the very first guy when "the light" is teaching you. Rather than shoot the first guy, dodge him.

For anyone having trouble with this, make sure you are holding the stick in the direction you want to move (I just circled him) and as soon as he brought the ax up to swing it, i tapped the LB.

Boom, chivo.

Kevin Durden
08-09-2010, 04:31 AM
No joke, I've been trying this on countless Taken for the past 24 hours and still no achievement popping.

NataSS Inc
08-09-2010, 04:35 AM
Have you had any cinematics when you dodge a thrown weapon? I got the float like a butterfly on the very fist guy and then had to only dodge 5 or 6 thrown axes and "missed by a mile" popped.

Kevin Durden
08-09-2010, 04:37 AM
Yes, I've had the slowdown showing it as a cinematic dodge whenever the axes have been used on me. If I were to count or even guess, I'd say I've cinematic-dodged about 200 axes now in all the restarts, recovering gamertags, clearing system cache and just about everything else you could think of.

Unless by "thrown weapon" you mean one that was physically thrown at you as a projectile, in which case I've never seen that done in the game yet, especially on the first Taken.

NataSS Inc
08-09-2010, 04:43 AM
OK, looks like you are missing the "projectiles". Some of the Taken will litterally throw a small hatchet at you from a distance. You need to get a few cinematics of that to get the "missed by a mile" and it might unlock the butterfly one as well.

Missed by a mile unlocked for me right at the gas station after defeating Stuckey. I went left down the road for the thermos and had a bunch come after me. 3 or 4 of them threw axes at me and I hit the LB and it went into the cinematic and boom, chivo.

The Butterfly chivo popped right at the first guy, I just ran in circles tapping the LB every time the ax was at its highest point right before he brought it down. Some of his misses werent even close to me.

Kevin Durden
08-09-2010, 04:46 AM
I've literally been sitting here running circles around the guy when the Light is teaching you to use the flashlight hitting LB whenever he swings causing the cinematic slowdown, yet no achievement. I think I may have done this about 50 times now. :\

Any suggestions or is this just a complete bug that is going to annoy me to no end?

NataSS Inc
08-09-2010, 04:52 AM
Only thing i could suggest would be to make sure that his "darkness" is gone (so he looks somewhat regular (Use your light till its gone), then let him come after you. If it doesnt pop then go to the next area where there are 2 guys, waste one of them and use your light to get his "darkness" off him them make a few dodges and see if that does it.

But I am almost 100% possotive that for the "missed by a mile" chivo, you have to dodge PROJECTILE axes. The chivo even looks like something is being thrown past him.

Kevin Durden
08-09-2010, 04:52 AM
Ok I s--t you not, I went up ahead about 4 more Taken (just before the Tornado) and was getting so effing pissed off that it wasn't unlocking for me that on my last LB + LS dodge, I threw my controller to the ground and was going to go to the gym.

Well, lo and behold upon doing this...*bloop*, achievement unlocked.

WTF Alan Wake?

NataSS Inc
08-09-2010, 04:54 AM
Many "lulz" are happening for me right now, I cant tell you how many times shit like that has happened to me.

Your so mad you could drop kick a baby through the uprights from 60 yards out and you're about to go completely postal on the first person that even utters a word to you, then......."BLOOP", chivo unlocked.

Kevin Durden
08-09-2010, 04:58 AM
Many "lulz" are happening for me right now, I cant tell you how many times shit like that has happened to me.

Your so mad you could drop kick a baby through the uprights from 60 yards out and you're about to go completely postal on the first person that even utters a word to you, then......."BLOOP", chivo unlocked.

No, honestly, you probably have a slight feeling of what I'm going through right now. This was the first time I've ever had a problem with an achievement not unlocking for me ever. Also, when 360 Support on the phone tells me "I'm not performing the required steps to complete this achievement", it's frustrating. This has been a huge weight off my shoulders because from what I had played in the first three hours (prior to restarting my game numerous times), I loved. Knowing that this stupid em effing achievement is unlocked is going to let me enjoy the game to its full potential now, which is fairly sad, but understandable to most on these forums.

Thanks though for the insight, I'm sure the good vibes posted here somehow helped my possessed copy of Alan Wake.

NataSS Inc
08-09-2010, 05:02 AM
Wait until you get a game that has glitched chivo's in it. then you will know true suffering. I have 1 game with 1 glitched chivo. I was so mad I could have drop kicked a nun when it didnt unlock.

Glad i could help you out and what I am guessing is that you might have been getting the cinematic but not have been close enough for it to register. I know i did a few more than 20 before it unlocked for me.

Kevin Durden
08-09-2010, 05:07 AM
heh, yeah I'm sure that'll definitely take the cake for frustration then. Well, I'm excited to get into the story finally, so if anything else comes up achievement-wise that seems out of the ordinary I'll be sure to post here and hopefully someone will have a suggestion or explanation behind it.

@ NataSS Inc, have you had any problems with the collectibles not registering yet, or have you not unlocked those achievements yet?

NataSS Inc
08-09-2010, 05:10 AM
I litterally just started this game a couple of hours ago so *knock on wood*, no problems as of yet. Just really taking my time, exploring and finding what I can while going back and forth between the elleventy billion collectable guides in this forum. I know I have 1 thermos at the beginning but so far, so good.

ofay
08-09-2010, 07:49 PM
Just started playing this, ohhhh about 5 minutes ago after reading the guide.

You can pull this one off on the very first guy when "the light" is teaching you. Rather than shoot the first guy, dodge him.

For anyone having trouble with this, make sure you are holding the stick in the direction you want to move (I just circled him) and as soon as he brought the ax up to swing it, i tapped the LB.

Boom, chivo.
You have to dodge a taken twice in the beginning tutorial, before you get a gun

Kevin Durden
08-10-2010, 05:20 AM
So the good news is that by the end of Episode 2, I had unlocked just about everything I was concerned about not having able to unlock for me...Missed by a Mile, Float Like a Butterfly, 25 Thermoses, 25 Manuscripts, etc. etc.

I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything different, but after Float Like a Butterfly unlocked, I think the game just decided to stop being a dick. :\

master_shake_350
08-10-2010, 10:54 AM
I've literally been sitting here running circles around the guy when the Light is teaching you to use the flashlight hitting LB whenever he swings causing the cinematic slowdown, yet no achievement. I think I may have done this about 50 times now. :\

Any suggestions or is this just a complete bug that is going to annoy me to no end?

My mum manged to get this on her first try at this point but when I tried to do it it wouldn't unlock for me. I tried again when you get the gun to shoot the dude and got it when I tried it with him.

EliteShadowMan
08-11-2010, 08:41 AM
u guys are having trouble...dodging...really?