PDA

View Full Version : How Long To Get Hooked?

Tussell
08-09-2010, 03:31 AM
I originally picked this game up at a Blockbuster when it first came out. I just wanted to rent it, since it was the biggest rage at the time of its release. However, I just couldn't get into it. It just seemed too overwhelming, and nothing seemed to go my way.

I returned it and never looked back. During this time, all I did was read, hear, see, etc. people say how good it was. I just didn't understand the hype behind the game. DLC was being released like mad, and I just didn't get it.

Finally, they released the Game of the Year edition of Fallout 3 and have since announced the release of New Vegas. Now that there is a new game coming out, and they have an edition with all the DLC, I figured I'd pick it up. This was on the release day, and I've only played a small amount of it since I bought the Game of the Year edition.

I have nothing to do as of right now and was hoping maybe I could try and get into the game, but I have a feeling I'll be inclined to just turn it off and put it back, like I've done three times since the game has been released.

What can I do to make the game more exciting. Am I doing something wrong? I've been doing quests normally, I mean, I'm not a retard when it comes to gaming, I just feel like I'm missing the excitement of the game.

ozgoon56
08-09-2010, 04:08 AM
Perhaps 'excitement' isn't quite the right word for a game like Fallout and that's where you're going wrong. For me it's more a total immersion in an alternate history post-nuclear world, the exploration and the loot collection and the character building. There are many moments of excitement, (being surprise attacked by a Deathclaw should be excitement enough for anybody! :eek: ) but despite it's first person viewpoint this is a RPG not a shooter so don't go in expecting the continuous action of a CoD. Approach it with an open mind and try and enjoy the setting and the many subtle pop-culture references (and some not-so-subtle - Nuka Cola anybody? :D) scattered throughout the game.

But, otoh, it may just not be your kind of game. Not everyone likes this style of RPG, so if you try again and still don't like it just move on.

Tussell
08-09-2010, 04:34 AM
Perhaps 'excitement' isn't quite the right word for a game like Fallout and that's where you're going wrong. For me it's more a total immersion in an alternate history post-nuclear world, the exploration and the loot collection and the character building. There are many moments of excitement, (being surprise attacked by a Deathclaw should be excitement enough for anybody! :eek: ) but despite it's first person viewpoint this is a RPG not a shooter so don't go in expecting the continuous action of a CoD. Approach it with an open mind and try and enjoy the setting and the many subtle pop-culture references (and some not-so-subtle - Nuka Cola anybody? :D) scattered throughout the game.

But, otoh, it may just not be your kind of game. Not everyone likes this style of RPG, so if you try again and still don't like it just move on.
Don't get me wrong, I definitely know what type of game it is. I love RPG's, always have. Both JRPG's and Western RPG's. However, this seems like one I just can't do, at least right now. I want to so bad, as I love the setting and the environment so much.

KNIGHTOFSERA
08-09-2010, 04:36 AM
as stated above, some people just dont get it

to me its one of my favorite games, and the excitement of it comes from the world created and how amazing it is..I dont think any other game creates such a great and thought trough world as fallout

I dont know how far in you are, but most people seem to really not like getting started and then once they get past the beginnings of the game they like it much much more

but yeah, its not for all....its like when people say they love Fable II....I dont get it, Fable II for me is insufferably boring and mediocre

so maybe FO3 is to you what Fable II is to me (except I actually went through the whole experience of fable II)

luffy
08-09-2010, 04:59 AM
(based as your claims above)

1- the story is basically spectacular, when you can meet a lot of stuffs that can get you either paranoid or the famous statement AKA(OH SNAP !!).

2- the world in the game is a truly naturalized world in which it can sucks you in so deeply that you'll keep Examining female corpses. not in a funny way, and not to mention that it will also get you the feeling of exploration as a main taste, (like when you're roaming in the Capital Wasteland you'll see an empty house and you gonna have that self-consciousness feeling (oh maybe im gonna find a new weapon or a new unique item because i really wanna patch up that shish kabob melee weapon).

3- story flipping is technically the best in this Game, you'll really going to like it and get you that 'excitement' Taste.

4- Love the old american classic music, just turn your radio on while using the Pip-boy and have fun tearing the flesh form bones.

5- don't see it please but if you wan't then it's alright (In case if you're the type of people who likes or cares about animation, then this isn't your game, i don't mean that much it's not a big deal, but with having all the fun playing this game i gotta admit that the animation sucks ! .

Jellybean468
08-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Of the RPG's I have played (Final Fantasy XIII, Fable 2, Oblivion and this) this has to be my least favourite, mainly because of the main quest. I hated it. But once that was out of the way and I discovered the side quests, I just fell in love. Ok, maybe that's a little melodramatic. I guess nothing in a game is perfect for everyone, but separate parts of the game may take to your liking.

Death Metal Jim
08-11-2010, 08:47 AM
Well my friend, I'm sorry to say, but if you haven't gotten into it by now chances are it's just not the game for you. I HATED the beginning in the vault, couldn't stand it. But once I got out and started roaming the Wasteland it just got better and better to me. After Talon Company started attacking me, and I retaliated by killing there Commander at Fort Bannister, I was hooked :p.

I also love the glitch where you can have all 8 companians follow you. I decked them all out in Enclave gear (except Dogmeat, Sergeant RL3 and Fawkes of course) and had my own little army. Of course this was after I had basically gone through the entire game alone, but it's just a little extra something that makes the game that much more enjoyable.

Hated those Ghoul Soul Reavers though :mad:.

BelatedHero
08-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Well my friend, I'm sorry to say, but if you haven't gotten into it by now chances are it's just not the game for you.
:whs
It sounds like you'll just not like the game and that's ok. Even the big very popular blockbuster games don't appeal to everyone.

For example me... I don't like Call of Duty (any of them). No matter how much other people enjoy Modern Warfare 2, it doesn't appeal to me.

This game is a masterpiece in my opinion though. I've been a fan of the Fallout series for years. I remember hearing the news Van Buren (what would have been the third Fallout game) was canceled and was heartbroken. Fallout 3 was great in that it immerssed me in the world I already was familiar with. The attention to detail, like notes written by people just after the bombs fell, or the small references that only a Fallout 1&2 player would get, it added to the experience. The moving of V.A.T.S. into a real-time structure was fantastic (Fallout Tactics failed miserably at this).

BTW- I currently am on my third play-through

Milimanci
08-11-2010, 03:15 PM
I only had to play for an hour or two til I really got into it. Once you start to get further in and start using the fun guns (Railway Rifle, Fatman, Tesla Cannon, etc) it'll be a bit more enjoyable.

Genesis x360a
08-11-2010, 03:23 PM
One of my good freinds has just completed everything in the game (DLC Aswell) clocking on over 125 hours in around a week, he said its a really good game and hes gutted that its ended and would gladly playthrough it again. Ive had the game for 2 years and havn't put it in my 360. I bought a couple of days after it was released and there just something about that everytime i go play it i just think "Nah ill play it some other time" and i never do but it seems im missing out.

Deadly Moves
08-11-2010, 05:04 PM
One of my good freinds has just completed everything in the game (DLC Aswell) clocking on over 125 hours in around a week, he said its a really good game and hes gutted that its ended and would gladly playthrough it again. Ive had the game for 2 years and havn't put it in my 360. I bought a couple of days after it was released and there just something about that everytime i go play it i just think "Nah ill play it some other time" and i never do but it seems im missing out.
LOL.. i am that friend
Yeah i was kinda a lil bit interested in the game when it came out.. but wasnt sure, bcos im not really an rpg fan. so i forgot about it. But while i playing Borderlands(and absolutely lovin it) i was recomened Fallout 3 bcos they are kinda similar, apparently. so i thought i'd give it a go and put it on my rental list, along with the dlc disks.
After putting in about 15 hours of gameplay i fell in love with the game, got hooked and couldnt put it down.
Like my mate said in the last post i was gutted when it came to an end. at least New Vegas is out soon and looks like a better version of Fallout 3

Orbsalot
08-15-2010, 02:59 PM
I bought the game on release and after wandering around outside the vault for a good few hours i was fed up. I put the game back in it's case and there it stayed.

6 months later I tried it again, starting a new game. A few tips from my experience:

1) Put the game on easy for the first few hours when you get out. Every game I play is at normal or higher and this is the only game I have ever lowered the difficulty. I found it infintely more fun as I wasn't incessantly worrying about money/ammo. I know it's suppossed to add to the atmosphere of being ascavenger, only just getting by, but for me they took it a little too far. Put it back to normal after you get some decent weapons.

2) Stick a good few points in the repair skill. It allows you to use looted guns to improve the condition of similar guns. This'll help make your weapons more powerful, and you can sell the ones you won't need for a lot more money. Very useful early on.

3) Don't venture too far from Megaton or complete too many main missions when you first get out. Moira's side missions are a good distraction to gain a couple of levels. Also dealing with the bomb in Megaton (one way or another) also grants you access to a property. I used this an aweful lot and gives you a sense of belonging in the game world. Lot's of useful equipment available to buy for it to.

4) Most of all, persevere. IMO it takes about 4-5 hours once you get out the vault to get in to it's stride. Like you, I didn't give it enough time the first go, but I'm glad I gave it a second chance.

PS sorry for the wall of text :eek: hope it helps.

nevermindaboutme
08-17-2010, 08:12 AM
Tbf I hated the game. Got out the vault and wondered what the hell I was doing -.-

Re-started with the Missus and got to GNR and loved it. Hooked now, need to play it every day xD

French_Kid
08-20-2010, 03:27 PM
i am one of those who can't get into the game either.

Ive played for maybe about 3 hours total and its just blah.

I hate Bethesda for ruining fallout 3. They should have kept it they game play style as fallout 1 and 2.

FPS FTL

jaec91
08-20-2010, 04:31 PM
Hmm.. When I first started playing Fallout, I honestly did not like it. Like many others, I restarted eventually and took it seriously and I LOVE the damn game after I'd say 5-6 hours of gameplay.

I have restarted again because I changed Hard Drives and of course my saved games are on the old Hard Drive. I never got to finish the game, but I was a level 20 that was quite the explorer lol.

On the playthrough I'm on now I am a level 9 and I am heading the same way, more towards exploring first and leveling up. Hopefully soon I will get Broken Steel and Point Lookout. Or at least whichever is the one that raises the Level cap. I have The Pitt and Operation: Anchorage already.

And I cannot WAIT for Fallout: New Vegas. I have pre-ordered it from GameStop and I am very excited to play the game and try out Hardcore Mode :)

its delicious
09-19-2010, 02:38 AM
I got through the tutorial with some bemusement, but I was completely hooked the moment the vault door opened. From the skeletons outside the door (complete with signs) to the panoramic wasteland that you first see, I knew I was in for a completely unique experience.

FantasticMrCox
09-19-2010, 08:45 PM
I'm still on the fence with this game. Bought it months ago, and just started it last week. Just started in megatron and i'm still wondering whats going on lol.. Loads of friends are telling me what a fantastic game it is but i'm still yet to see it.. But..... i'm going to stick with it thou and see where the story leads :)

Miss Allen86
09-19-2010, 09:23 PM
As soon as you put the game in the console. ^_^

JAYMATiCx
09-22-2010, 10:07 PM
It took me a couple sit-downs to get into this game, but once I got into it I really couldn't put it down. I liked it so much that I'm replaying the entire game over again because my off-line achievements got erased when I recovered my account.

xbox360king
09-25-2010, 12:26 PM
100% the best game i have played, got it on day one and i have nerdily done about 100 hours of game play, completed it twice- Didn't get old the second time!
I loved collecting things and then putting them in my home, sad i know butt !
And the DLC is beast i've bought and completed all of them!
Also im one acheivement from 100%1!
To describe on one word would be 'FUCKING AMAZING', yes for all of you that is one word :)

Moonberg
09-26-2010, 04:11 PM
I got hooked straight away, spent over 200 hours wandering the wastes, and there's still so many locations I haven't been to, the game world is overwhelmingly big, one of the reasons I love it -for me, Fallout 3 is the best game I've played since Final Fantasy 7.

Hydrophillic
09-26-2010, 11:16 PM
Does nobody else get extremely bored when traveling to faraway locations in the wasteland???

It's def. a fun game but the traveling was my least favorite part.

I think it would have been more addicting if it was actually challenging to level up too. You max your character out so quick without add-ons.

its delicious
09-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Does nobody else get extremely bored when traveling to faraway locations in the wasteland???
Nope. I fast travel.

WVUMountiManiac
09-27-2010, 04:28 PM
It took some getting use to for Me. But as aI played it the more hooked I got. Got all 5 DLC's and played over 1,000 hrs. can not wait for NEW VEGAS in October.

Hooster30
09-27-2010, 08:51 PM
It took me about 5 hours or so. This is my 3rd attempt at playing the game, and the beginning in the Vault really put me off the first few times. It's frustrating to die so much in the beginning but once you get a few weapons that do some damage it gets a lot more fun.

Hydrophillic
09-28-2010, 01:40 AM
Nope. I fast travel.

I mean when you originally discover them

Dz06lt
09-28-2010, 01:48 AM
Yeah it took me some time to fall for this game several hours in fact but once it hit i couldnt stop bought all DLC and played for over 100hrs then i bought it again for PS3

Zombie Izzardx
09-30-2010, 11:28 PM
Sounds kind of like me. I bought the game cause I heard of all the good things about it played it for a bit got killed in Megaton (I shot Lucus) and said screw it. This was in January. Dicided to give it another shot in a month ago and now Im hooked. Don't force yourself to like a game. Its pointless cause you wont have fun.

Rip1Good 2033
10-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Yes I've rented this on more then one occasion and all times I've played about 3-6 hours of it and couldn't get hooked.

Maybe that's not enough time?

ReapingEcho
10-01-2010, 02:01 PM
I didn't ever really get hooked on this game as I did oblivion. The only reason I played this for hours straight was because I like to try and get all achievements as fast as possible so I can move onto next game. Don't get me wrong I enjoy and love games but I really never cared too much for this one. The DLC to me was more addicting than the original game.

5Alive
10-03-2010, 02:47 AM
2 years ago I bought this game, full retail price. Didn't open it for the longest time and then just unwrapped it and traded it in. 2 months ago I rented it and to me it just couldn't click. I thought Oblivion was great. And I didn't like Fallout 3 because it's like Oblivion with guns. The shooting system just didn't make sense to me and I think it's becuase when I play a game I expect it to be that genre. I can play Halo --> shooter. Oblivion --> RPG. I think just mashing the two genres just messed my pacing and I couldn't get into it.

arachnophilia
10-03-2010, 04:23 AM
Don't get me wrong, I definitely know what type of game it is. I love RPG's, always have. Both JRPG's and Western RPG's. However, this seems like one I just can't do, at least right now. I want to so bad, as I love the setting and the environment so much.

what is it that makes it seem like one you can't do?

for me, my biggest problem getting into it was the setting/environment. i loved the gameplay, the mechanics, and the RPG elements, but all the gray and brown and 50's music was driving me nuts.

SW Ownage
10-03-2010, 07:46 PM
fallout had me hook line and sinker from the very first moment i picked it up in the shop - i got it alongside gears 2, and other games that i cant remember the now - but i remember not playing any of those games as i just played and played and played fallout for like 3 weeks straight with nothing else inbetween

at first i played the story - straight through - big mistake :L especially as broken steel wasnt out :S

but it was EPIC!!

second playthrough i done EVERYTHING honestly possible - i pretty much could never run out of ammo, id killed pretty much every single super in the wasteland, and id walked across every square metre of the map at least 5 times -- but i never completed it as i waited for any add on to continue the story --

and there was :O best add-ons to any game possible :D

i knew the wastelands better than my own street :L

SW Ownage
10-03-2010, 07:49 PM
what is it that makes it seem like one you can't do?

for me, my biggest problem getting into it was the setting/environment. i loved the gameplay, the mechanics, and the RPG elements, but all the gray and brown and 50's music was driving me nuts.

:O no way!!

i loved listening to gnr!!

the music was always cheery and happy!! :D

and made shitting a brick when a deathclaw jumps you from behind even funnier :L:L