PDA

View Full Version : ruining tomb raider?

FallThrone
08-10-2010, 02:04 AM
i am going to get this game anyways because i love tomb raider, but i feel like this run and gun, mini version is taking away from the real tomb raider that i grew up with and love. anybody feel this way or do you like the move? probably half the guys out there played TR just to look at Lara lol, and now you can't barely see her during play. i understand its an arcade version and not a retail game, but my first thought when i saw this game was what the hell is this, TR?

EliteShadowMan
08-10-2010, 03:42 AM
i am going to get this game anyways because i love tomb raider, but i feel like this run and gun, mini version is taking away from the real tomb raider that i grew up with and love. anybody feel this way or do you like the move? probably half the guys out there played TR just to look at Lara lol, and now you can't barely see her during play. i understand its an arcade version and not a retail game, but my first thought when i saw this game was what the hell is this, TR?

yeah its somewhat a big change to the good old games, but i think it will be a smart move and the game looks like it will play fairly well!

EMP
08-10-2010, 04:03 AM
It looks ok to me atleast it's coop

OzzieArcane
08-12-2010, 03:27 AM
Them doing things different doesn't surprise me much. It's owned by Square Enix now, a change of company means there are gonna be some changes. But that aside Tomb Raider needs to do something to keep people interested, don't want it to become another Sonic the Hedgehog do you?

OG T UNIT
08-12-2010, 03:41 AM
a breathe of fresh air won't hurt this franchise at all. It has been getting stale. I hope they take a few years before they release another full tomb raider game, sadly the recent ones although getting better have still been franchised to death.

FallThrone
08-12-2010, 04:02 AM
well that's my point. sonic was awesome until they changed it. now you got this 3D stuff and werewolf sonic. i didn't even play any of the new sonics besides demos. and now what are they doing? making a new arcade sonic game that is a re-vamp of the old ones. tomb raider is no different. its good because of what it is and how it was. don't change that or you'll lose fans. i don't buy tomb raider games to play gauntlet legends or diablo. sure, they could wait a while to release a new, full TR game, just don't forget what tomb raiding is ya know?

ZedChuva
08-18-2010, 10:06 AM
Stalfos Jolie ruined Tomb Raider.:uzi:

Danteire
08-18-2010, 12:50 PM
I dunno, the last two full TR games were very shooty and had bullet time and QTE's. Really took away from the original games too so its not just this game. Plus you dont spend the whole time shooting, plenty of times you are trying to make jumps and solve puzzles, just like the original games.

mjc0961
08-19-2010, 03:32 AM
*looks at the buggy unpolished mess that was Underworld*

I think the Tomb Raider name is tarnished plenty already. Hell, if this was another game like Underworld, I wouldn't even care about it. This is different and seems to play solidly from what I can tell in the trial version. Sometimes change is good.

Although sometimes change is bad, as in the already mentioned example of Sonic.

littlejay
08-19-2010, 03:44 AM
i liked underworld the best so far. and GoL is good too. finished it today :)

KNIGHTOFSERA
08-19-2010, 04:07 AM
Well they needed to reestablish tomb raider and laura croft, since those games have been dwindling in popularity and ratings

so if they make a good game with different look and mechanics and whatnot...its better than a bad more traditional TR game

Tyger7
08-19-2010, 09:10 AM
This is a different view mostly. The core of Tomb Raider is still there. Tons of collectibles, puzzles, grapple hook, guns...list goes on. Also you're raiding tombs ;) This is exactly what Tomb Raider needed to move to for now at least.

Skyldig
08-19-2010, 10:15 AM
well that's my point. sonic was awesome until they changed it. now you got this 3D stuff and werewolf sonic. i didn't even play any of the new sonics besides demos. and now what are they doing? making a new arcade sonic game that is a re-vamp of the old ones. tomb raider is no different. its good because of what it is and how it was. don't change that or you'll lose fans. i don't buy tomb raider games to play gauntlet legends or diablo. sure, they could wait a while to release a new, full TR game, just don't forget what tomb raiding is ya know?

You know Sonic isn't the only game from that era that went from 2D to 3D. I doubt that you complain about The Mario galaxy games. It's not change that is bad, it's lack of great gameplay. This game however has tons of great gameplay and will definitely not ruin TR. Especially as the game isn't even called TR, it's just Lara Croft this time around :p

shadowfeeder
08-19-2010, 10:26 AM
Sure, there's a good bit of shooting in this game, but there's also a whole lot of puzzles if you chose to do them (for health/ammo upgrades and artifacts).
I've played through half the game so far with my girlfriend and I think they've pulled it off well. It's not as mindnumbing as most Left stick move-Right stick shoot games on the arcade.
I'm happy with my purchase. =)

Orbsalot
08-19-2010, 03:04 PM
Hasn't anybody not noticed that this is NOT a Tomb Raider game?

It has Lara Croft in it, but TR is not part of the title.

The TR name is being reserved for the 'real' 3rd person TR's and was an intentional move by the developer to distance this game from the others.

This is not the new route TR is taking, but more of a 'spinoff'.

Relax people ;)

Thorpe
08-19-2010, 04:57 PM
I like to thing of this as a side title. It's not exactly Tomb Raider, hence this isn't in the title. My favourite so far is Tomb Raider: Anniversary. If they could go back to that (I really liked the ambience and puzzles in this) and then really think it through for a new title, that would be great. Underworld was a little bit of letdown but still very good. Just one too many bugs that annoyed me.

FallThrone
08-24-2010, 09:07 PM
well i have to be honest. i started this thread before i got the game to see what other people thought and alot of people liked it, and i've always been a huge tomb raider/lara croft fan so i tried it (like i planned on anyways) and it is an awesome game. this isnt ruining the game series or name at all. it is a good adaption of the series to an arcade title. very fun. i almost get a gauntlet legends feel out of it.

neverendr
08-27-2010, 09:25 AM
I think of it more like "tomb raider lite" or "tomb raider arcade", which is what it's supposed to be. A few of the puzzles and collectibles are a touch tricky, and the amount of action and gunplay keeps it fast paced and fun, for me anyway. I tried the demo and bought the full game directly, and I think it's well worth the 1200msp, even with me not doing the free 1200msp thing, I got this, castlevania and monday night combat, no interest at all in the other two, so I get 400msp at least. :)

archanglmr
08-27-2010, 08:28 PM
I think they did a good thing with this game. Don't get me wrong, I like the regular 3d Tomb Raider games a lot, but this is a nice fast paced game that you can play very casually and not feel committed to, unless you want to, in which case the amount of mini-game challenges is great. I think it makes it more approachable for more people. I love that they have speed runs on every level (at least the 8 or so I've played so far).

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Lara's Shadow add-on for Underworld in this tread since it to is really a variation of the normal Tomb Raider games. I thought that was a change of pace as well.

So yea, I like that they are making different variations but still keeping the core elements such as the tombs of course, puzzles and crazy acrobatics.

deutschdude
08-27-2010, 08:35 PM
it never hurts to try something new, right? and besides, every good game franchise goes through major changes at some point if it lasts awhile

mikemc
08-27-2010, 08:41 PM
this looks fine to me...at least it's co op....

ChArG1nMaLAZ0R
08-28-2010, 10:08 PM
tbh this game is more tomb raider like and puzzle orientated than their recent releases lol

Chojin
08-29-2010, 07:28 AM
Hasn't anybody not noticed that this is NOT a Tomb Raider game?

It has Lara Croft in it, but TR is not part of the title.

The TR name is being reserved for the 'real' 3rd person TR's and was an intentional move by the developer to distance this game from the others.

This is not the new route TR is taking, but more of a 'spinoff'.

Relax people ;)

......This.

Achelous
09-03-2010, 11:51 PM
To me the true tomb raider feeling was already gone in the next generation games (legend, anniversary, and underworld). The levels are pretty straight forward. You can easily spot were to climb and continue your path. Also health is not an issue anymore. If you die, you can start with full health at your most recent checkpoint. This makes the pick ups completely useless. I'm not saying they are bad games, cause I still enjoyed playing them. They just not as good as TR 1, 2 and 3.

About the number of enemies and the shooting I think it's alright in this game. Underworld for example had very little enemies, and because your health refills when you die they were not hard to defeat. The earlier games had more enemies and you had to find the stronger weapons yourself. It's a bit like that, only even more enemies. But most of them are not as strong, you can kill them with just a single spear.

I thought this arcade game was quite fun. Especially solving the puzzles in coop. Something different with still a tomb raider feeling. I'm definitely not ruining tomb raider and I'm looking forward to the DLC.

HellspawnRei
09-11-2010, 09:36 PM
Well Achelous, the game in Tomb Raider series that ruined the feeling was Angel Of Darkness,not Legend,Anniversary ( which is the first Tomb Raider boosted) nor Underworld.
That's also the reason why Core Design is no more,Crystal Dynamics tried to 'fix' things by making this trilogy(Legend,Anni,Underworld).
Anyone that played any Tomb Raider game would agree that there werent many enemies at all.You could win bosses even with basic pistols...
If you want a lot of mindless enemies play Angel of Darkness, its a shoot em up....really.

Guardian Of Light is a really good game and well worth the 1200msp.

What i am afraid off is Tomb Raider 9...if the rumors are right....the new 'reboot' to survival/ horror and the multiplayer option might send it to a real Tomb...

Ivo
09-14-2010, 07:31 PM
Well, I think all Tomb Raider games are great. TRAoD has a great storyline, shame the controls aren't that good... :(
However, I agree LCGoL is an amazing game! It's definitely worth the Microsoft Points! :D
And no, it's not ruining the series at all. :p

RadiantViper
11-27-2010, 10:17 PM
GoL is a pretty good game but I definitely don't like it as much as the core series. It's just a spinoff though as already mentioned so I'm not worried. I'm patiently awaiting another game in the vein of Legend/Underworld.

Collymilad
12-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Not at all.

Personally I've had more fun with this than than the last few Tomb Raiders, they were great too though.

Delow317
01-17-2011, 12:18 AM
*looks at the buggy unpolished mess that was Underworld*

I think the Tomb Raider name is tarnished plenty already. Hell, if this was another game like Underworld, I wouldn't even care about it. This is different and seems to play solidly from what I can tell in the trial version. Sometimes change is good.

Although sometimes change is bad, as in the already mentioned example of Sonic.

Don't know what game you've been playing, but it sure as hell isn't Tomb Raider Underworld, and much less the dlc which was all worth it.

You want a REAL buggy and unpolished mess, go play Half Life2 on the original xbox. And if you want to see the impedimy of an unpolished game, try running it on the 360, see where that gets you.