PDA

View Full Version : 3 questions after completing Normal playthrough

KRS
08-11-2010, 03:49 PM
I know that similar questions have been asked here, but I am confused/nervous about what to do next in Alan Wake. Don't want to accidentally eradicate all the collecting I have done thus far!

I beat the game on Normal, missing 2 thermoses, 1 sign, 1 manuscript (all in the same area of Episode 2) and 1 additional manuscript (not sure where).

*To move onto Nightmare, I start a NEW game at that difficulty, right?
*In Nightmare, are all the collectibles available again, or just the ones you missed and the Nightmare manuscripts?
*Is there any way to figure out which manuscript was missed?

Genesis x360a
08-11-2010, 03:58 PM
1) Yes you start a new game on Nightmare.
2) Only the collectibles you missed will be avalible and of course the nightmare ones.
3) No. There is no way to tell exactly which one you have missed.

Jappe XBA
08-11-2010, 04:02 PM
For the third one, if you go to Start menu -> Manuscript, it should say Missing Page on the one you don't have ;)

XxXDZ MAYHEMXxX
08-11-2010, 11:05 PM
You can start a new game on either hard or nightmare.

The only thing that doesn't show up are the coffee thermoses. The pages show up regardless if you got them or not and the signs don't change.

Regarding which one your missing like (jappe66) said you can go from either in game menu or main menu to the manuscript tab and check which episode you are missing one in.

Oh and starting a new game does not reset your stats or collectibles.

Lord Forbes
08-15-2010, 01:05 AM
You can use one of the manuscript guides posted on this forum to determine which ones you are missing. My apologies that I do not remember which guide it is but it not the color coded guide. The one I am refering to lists the name of the manuscript. What I did was copy the guide to a Word file. Then I highlighted the names of all the ones I had. The non-highlighted names became my missing manuscript guide. One other tip, the guide lists the pages in the order you find them not in the order listed in the in-game menu. The game menu not being in order may be a way to purposely make it harder for players to find them. Hope this makes sense and helps you. It worked for me. Now if I could just find my one missing Thermos!

Grimfel
08-15-2010, 11:59 AM
This is going to sound dumb, but can you reload checkpoints after beating the game, allowing you to go back and get said missing collectibles?

Lineman
08-15-2010, 06:21 PM
This is going to sound dumb, but can you reload checkpoints after beating the game, allowing you to go back and get said missing collectibles?

You can reload chapters but you can not reload checkpoints.

EliteShadowMan
08-15-2010, 06:27 PM
just go through the game again and look for the collectibles don't skip any of them on the list to ensure that you get all of them, then once you do, then start a new game on Nightmare and get the nightmare manuscripts

XxXDZ MAYHEMXxX
08-15-2010, 09:08 PM
just go through the game again and look for the collectibles don't skip any of them on the list to ensure that you get all of them, then once you do, then start a new game on Nightmare and get the nightmare manuscripts

you rely on that list too much which I thought was a lot harder to follow rather than the video guide Roosterteeth has.

Aphrodite1
08-15-2010, 10:53 PM
I'm in the same sort of situation as Grimfel.

I've missed 1 Thermos and 1 Manuscript on Chapter 2 in my Normal playthorugh. Luckily I know which ones they are as I've been following and ticking off a list as I've gone along.

So once I finish my first playthrough and before starting Nightmare mode, can I replay chapter 2 on normal, pick up those 2 missing items, and get credited with the finds in my global stats? If so, I presume these shouldn't then appear in the game environment during the Nightmare playthrough?

EliteShadowMan
08-16-2010, 12:00 AM
you rely on that list too much which I thought was a lot harder to follow rather than the video guide Roosterteeth has.

well what list did u follow? did u follow dan webb's guide? cause i found that one pretty horrible but tyger7 has a pretty good written list and i think he also has videos up on youtube

Roosterteeth does do a good job though on stuff so yeah i think i followed their GTA4 pigeon guide which was excellent

Grimfel
08-16-2010, 12:45 AM
I'm in the same sort of situation as Grimfel.

I've missed 1 Thermos and 1 Manuscript on Chapter 2 in my Normal playthorugh. Luckily I know which ones they are as I've been following and ticking off a list as I've gone along.

So once I finish my first playthrough and before starting Nightmare mode, can I replay chapter 2 on normal, pick up those 2 missing items, and get credited with the finds in my global stats? If so, I presume these shouldn't then appear in the game environment during the Nightmare playthrough?

I believe from what Lineman said that we can do it. I hope so at least, since I am not sure about doing a nightmare playthrough, but want as much GS as I can get. Since I am sure you will finish before me let me know if this works for you or if someone else has actually done it this way let us know. Thanks all!

CMpunk17
08-17-2010, 05:27 PM
damn straight. and you get to enjoy a little cheap comedy on the side.. lol

Aphrodite1
08-18-2010, 07:22 AM
Grimfel. I've finished the normal playthrough now. I can now answer my own question. I went back to Chapter 2, picked up my 1 missed manuscript and thermos and both achievements popped :woop:

When you replay chapters, the only objects that are removed from the game environment after you collect them are the coffee thermoses and the can pyramids. The signs, TV shows, Radio shows and weapon crates are still there and can all be recollected again. The manuscript pages all reappear again as well.

To sum up, if you've missed a manuscript page and are unsure of which one it is, the only clue you'll have is what chapter its in by looking at your collected list. Then play through the chapter using a guide to be thorough. Not sure what you can do about the other collectables that reappear. Hope this helps!

Grimfel
08-18-2010, 06:13 PM
Grimfel. I've finished the normal playthrough now. I can now answer my own question. I went back to Chapter 2, picked up my 1 missed manuscript and thermos and both achievements popped :woop:

When you replay chapters, the only objects that are removed from the game environment after you collect them are the coffee thermoses and the can pyramids. The signs, TV shows, Radio shows and weapon crates are still there and can all be recollected again. The manuscript pages all reappear again as well.

To sum up, if you've missed a manuscript page and are unsure of which one it is, the only clue you'll have is what chapter its in by looking at your collected list. Then play through the chapter using a guide to be thorough. Not sure what you can do about the other collectables that reappear. Hope this helps!

Awesome! That's just what I needed to hear!!! You rock! Thanks! :drunk