PDA

View Full Version : Worthy?

xX Splice Xx
08-12-2010, 04:23 AM
I played the demo for this game, hoping for it to be somewhat like SOTN, only to find out my hopes have been dashed, I still want to give it a chance however, so id like any opinions that could be given abotu the game. thanks

FateorDestiny
08-12-2010, 05:18 AM
I would say that it is different but in a good way :) Give it a shot, if you are a fan of the series you owe it to yourself to play it :)

UCB Disco
08-12-2010, 05:51 AM
Why do people think this was supposed to be like SotN? Sure, it's Castlevania, and sure KONAMI said that it was going to be modeled after the 2D DS versions, but no where did they say it was going to be the next proper Castlevania game.

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair is a fantastic addition to the series. The 6-player co-op alone is what makes this game so great! I love that there are 6 very different, very large maps, and that each boss on each Chapter is unique to the level and the game itself. Two different difficulties give this at least two playthroughs, if you're only playing as one character. If you want to level up everyone, you have a ton of replay value by playing 5 different characters and finding all their unique items and powerups.

Again, this isn't your normal Castlevania game, and that was never intended. This was meant to get people back into the Castlevania-mood before the Lord of Shadows game comes out. To me, though, Harmony of Despair is my Arcade purchase of the year. I don't know what it is about these kind of games, but they suck me in.

After looking at my documented time, I have invested about 31 hours into Harmony of Despair, and I am not planning on stopping any time soon. And surely my numbers are weak in comparison to others.

Sumo Daemon
08-12-2010, 08:00 AM
I think people think it will be like SotN because every Castlevania game since that game has been modeled in a similar fashion albeit with tweaks here and there to keep things fresh.

As for me, being a Castlevania fan for some years I bought the game sight unseen and I have to admit that I pretty much regret my purchase. I've tried to have fun with it and I've clocked in around 30 hours so far but for the most part I've been very bored and annoyed at the game. The timer, the monsters not respawning, the awkward bosses, not being able to equip and use items except at special locations, and especially the way the game is broken up into levels have left me a very unhappy camper.

To be fair, if you like to hop online and game with randoms people or have some friends to play with I could see how it could be fun. But if you're looking to play it solo like myself because none of his friends liked the demo or playing the game on my 360, then I would heavily warn against it unless you really enjoyed the demo.

Me...I'm still waiting for the fun to begin. But because I foolishly bought before playing, I'm going to max out my characters just for old times' sake I s'pose.

xX Splice Xx
08-16-2010, 07:19 PM
thanks for the opinions, i guess ill just have to decide for myself i suppose