PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in a Nightmare

CheddarBug
08-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Alan Wake is not my general style of game. I usually play platform on PS2, but have made the slow move over to XBox360. This game really grabbed my attention after playing games like Second Sight and Echo Night Beyond. Not to mention, the writer in me found it intriguing. I have managed to get 49 of the achievements. I have now opted to play through on Nightmare mode and things were actually going pretty good.

But now I'm stuck.

I'm at the point in episode 4 where you are trying to hold off Taken while Barry gets the gate open. I make it there with a full revolver, 3 flares, and a few shotgun shells. Not really much to defend myself. I know in the gazebo where Birch is located that there is a red supply box. Is there anything useful in there? I eventually ran by Birch for the safe haven after getting creamed a few times.

Any good tips for how to get by this part?

I want to finish getting the achievements for this game, mainly because my brother (with his 19,000+ gamerscore) quit before the bulldozer. Time for little sister to one up him! ;)

esio gk
08-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Don't bother fighting Taken. Just run from one end of the area to the other. You can also use short flashlight bursts to stun taken so that they don't move to fast. While runing from one end to other don't just hold run button - tap it so that Alan dodges - this will allow make you dodge the axes Taken throw at you.

It will probably take few tries, but it is easier than actually staying at one place and trying to fight Taken.

EliteShadowMan
08-14-2010, 09:00 AM
What i did was just use my flares if they got to close and then just hop over the ledge of the little stairs and kind of dodge taken near the gate so once barry gets it open u can just run in

CheddarBug
08-14-2010, 11:54 AM
I only have 3 flares. They don't last long. Whether I stand and fight or try running around and dodging, I seem to last the same length of time. Right up until Barry says he's found the key but then realizes it's a twig. I fear I'm stuck. My only other option is going back before Birch and seeing if I can find more flares or something.

EliteShadowMan
08-14-2010, 01:34 PM
I only have 3 flares. They don't last long. Whether I stand and fight or try running around and dodging, I seem to last the same length of time. Right up until Barry says he's found the key but then realizes it's a twig. I fear I'm stuck. My only other option is going back before Birch and seeing if I can find more flares or something.

nah keep going at it u should eventually get it (took me 2 tries on nightmare) i only had 2 flares so if u have 3 u should be able to do it...if it helps just shine ur light on the taken to slow them down and then run a bit in one direction and keep shining ur light on them, and then use flares when u really need to.

Tyger7
08-14-2010, 02:13 PM
When you run remember you can run backwards and shine your light to keep them away while your stamina/sprint recharges. Then turn back around and run to gain some distance. If they get too close, put a flare on the ground and you can really gain some distance on them. If it helps try killing a few. Remember, once that episode ends you're gonna have all of your supplies taken away regardless, and you're really close to the end right now so use anything and everything. Like Shadow said, sometimes it just takes a good few tries even if none of your tactics are changing. Luck/position plays a very big role.

I forgot what was in the supply box at the point you mention but there is a supply chest you could get just before that has flare/s and ammo. I haven't played that part in a long time so I went ahead and just pasted the below information. Hopefully it will give you something to work with at least if you end up restarting the mission. The one big thing to note is that there are supplies by coffee thermos 57. You can try to work backwards from where you are, but I forget if that was possible.

Manuscript (63/106): After heading through some of the garden area, you must shine your light to make the gate blocking you disappear. Head straight and before going down the steps, it’s to your right.
Can Pyramid (7/12): Look around on the wall by this manuscript and you should find the cans.
Supply Chest (15/30): Right after the above, head straight from the Safe Haven light in front of you (with water to your left) and take a right at the end. Follow the rocks until you get to the chest. (Contains flare and ammo).
Coffee Thermos (57/100): Back on path, head up the stairs to the right of the water and you’ll see it on the table with a bunch of supplies.
Manuscript (64/106): You will see Barry on the main path straight ahead of you. Instead of going to him, turn completely around and head backwards up the steps.

Mister Buds
08-14-2010, 07:38 PM
i only used flares at this part too. stood with my back against the gate and when the taken got right up next to me, i lit a flare and kept it held until it burnt out. lit a second one when they got close the next time and by the time it burnt out barry had the gate open.

erere
08-14-2010, 08:18 PM
Maybe you have flargun...? Because I had and when I took out the two (large taken) at once and then rest easy :)

DotDog
08-14-2010, 09:43 PM
The advice you received was very good. Just remember to use your flashlight as long as you can in little bursts and use the flares at the last possible second.

CheddarBug
09-11-2010, 02:10 PM
Yes, the advice was very good. And after not having time to play for weeks I finally sat down and beat it on the first try. I tried the whole hiding in the corner technique and it worked great. So thanks!

Now my next question is about the stage. Do I have to kill a given number of taken or is a matter of surviving a certain length of time? I know it didn't give me much pause on easy, but it's been a while. I want to save what I can for the harvester as well.

CheddarBug
09-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Never mind, I got by it.