PDA

View Full Version : New Instruments for 1000 GS >:(

Spade422
08-13-2010, 01:42 AM
Who else is incredibly pissed off by the fact that you need all the new pro instruments in order to get all the achievements?!!

I can understand in RB2 and GDRB how they would want you to use a stratocaster to hit all the notes in a solo, but having all pro instruments to get a good 1/4 of the achievements in this game when total it will cost nearly $300 for all of it really pisses me off.

I am going to get the keyboard, so that will solve a little bit of the problem. But I'm not spending my money on a prototype video game guitar when I have a perfectly working cheaper Stratocaster sitting right next to me as I type.

And another thing; the achievement list overall is pretty terrible. I like the downloadable content ones (some are clever like the Grohl one) but its pretty much a copy and paste of different "challenges" and "instruments".

Well, there might go my chance to get all achievements in all RB games (yes, even GDRB) now since nobody I know will get any pro instruments. Thanks a lot Harmonix, I hope you're happy with what you did. :mad:

T-Hybrid
08-13-2010, 01:46 AM
Who else is incredibly pissed off by the fact that you need all the new pro instruments in order to get all the achievements?!!
You didn't see it coming? What games don't include achievements when new features are introduced?

I'm a little surprised that they have as many as they do...but to expect none?

Terarin
08-13-2010, 01:48 AM

Only as pissed as I was 3 years ago when I had to buy drums and a mic. :)

mikachu93
08-13-2010, 01:52 AM
I'm assuming you were also pissed when you had to buy drums and microphones.

Spade422
08-13-2010, 01:53 AM
You didn't see it coming? What games don't include achievements when new features are introduced?

I'm a little surprised that they have as many as they do...but to expect none?

To be honest, I had a small feeling they would tie pro mode with achievements. I had a feeling that if there were any pro mode achievements at all, they would be simple, cheap, and out of the way.

Instead we get this bull. This list involves no skill whatsoever. The only thing it involves is shoving dollar after dollar down Harmonix's throat until they cough up more gamerscore.

TwistedFate
08-13-2010, 01:56 AM
Shouldn't be a surprise. I told you guys weeks ago to expect them.

Spade422
08-13-2010, 02:04 AM
I'm assuming you were also pissed when you had to buy drums and microphones.

first off, rb drums and microphones are cheap compared to the pro mode instruments.

second, harmonix had sort of an achievement trend going on where "if you bought the initial rock band instruments, you wouldn't need anything else to get all achievements in future rock band games." (if that makes sense.)

also, no i was not pissed when i had to buy all the instruments for all the achievements in RB1. It would be really dumb to be able to get 1000 in a rock band game with only a guitar (its called ROCK BAND) and I understood that logic.

TwistedFate
08-13-2010, 02:07 AM
second, harmonix had sort of an achievement trend going on where "if you bought the initial rock band instruments, you wouldn't need anything else to get all achievements in future rock band games." (if that makes sense.)

They never said that, though. You assumed because the first two didn't require extra stuff. RB is advancing and with that advance comes changes. You can't expect them to remain stagnant just so completionists don't have to spend any more money.

Terarin
08-13-2010, 02:13 AM

I know this example is not as dramatic as the pro guitar, but getting the harmonies achievements in The Beatles required getting two extra microphones. That is in contrast to your statement.

Spade422
08-13-2010, 02:33 AM
I know this example is not as dramatic as the pro guitar, but getting the harmonies achievements in The Beatles required getting two extra microphones. That is in contrast to your statement.

I was pissed off when TBRB came out; the achievement list sucked and you needed 2 more mics. That angered me, but I figured that since it was only 2 achievements it wasn't that bad. and, like you said, mics are cheap.

now RB3 is gonna come out with a crap load of "pro mode" achievements that cost a lot of money for all the new unneeded instruments.

they are called achievements; they should be obtained by hard work and skill. the rock band 3 list is going to be focused more on putting more money in their pockets and nothing else.

mikachu93
08-13-2010, 02:35 AM
they are called achievements; they should be obtained by hard work and skill. the rock band 3 list is going to be focused more on putting more money in their pockets and nothing else.
As TwistedFate, I believe, once told me: Harmonix is a company. They don't care about your gamer score as much as you do.

TwistedFate
08-13-2010, 02:38 AM
now RB3 is gonna come out with a crap load of "pro mode" achievements that cost a lot of money for all the new unneeded instruments.

Bear in mind that achievements are unneeded as well. You don't have to get them all.

Spade422
08-13-2010, 02:39 AM
As TwistedFate, I believe, once told me: Harmonix is a company. They don't care about your gamer score as much as you do.

in the big picture, thats essentially why I (and probably a lot more people) am/are pissed.

Spade422
08-13-2010, 02:41 AM
Bear in mind that achievements are unneeded as well. You don't have to get them all.

i completely understand. ill just play this game for fun and competition then.

TwistedFate
08-13-2010, 03:09 AM
completionists would say otherwise.

Unfortunately when completionists send the message that they are willing to pay for achievements and the internet is full of cries of "No achieves = No buy" when referring to DLC, this is what happens. I've been saying for years that people need to be careful the message they are sending companies in relation to achievements. Here is a very good example of what that attitude can bring about.

Schism
08-13-2010, 03:19 AM
hmmm it doesnt really bother me..you can still get 1000 in it. It will cost alot for people who will try and get these....but game devs and microsoft dont care about completionist.
Its not like they will take the achievements out or instantly drop the price on the guitars just because someone cares about their completion percent.

Spade422
08-13-2010, 03:23 AM
Unfortunately when completionists send the message that they are willing to pay for achievements and the internet is full of cries of "No achieves = No buy" when referring to DLC, this is what happens. I've been saying for years that people need to be careful the message they are sending companies in relation to achievements. Here is a very good example of what that attitude can bring about.

1. $10 is different from $350+. $10 is like a tip as a waiter at a resteraunt; $350 is a chunk of a paycheck.
2. Pro instruments are needed in original 1000 not 250 add on (DLC)
3. Were not even talking about DLC.
4. I understand what you are saying, but that will not stop people from complaining about "buying achievements".
5. Many completionists will not get the 1000 because they will not "buy" these achievements.

TwistedFate
08-13-2010, 03:28 AM
1. $10 is different from $350+. $10 is like a tip as a waiter at a resteraunt; $350 is a chunk of a paycheck.

That's why this is an extreme example.

2. Pro instruments are needed in original 1000 not 250 add on (DLC)
3. Were not even talking about DLC.

Doesn't matter, the message that people are willing to pay money to get achievements and keep their 100% isn't DLC specific.

5. Many completionists will not get the 1000 because they will not "buy" these achievements.

And many completionists will.

Spade422
08-13-2010, 04:03 AM
That's why this is an extreme example.

Doesn't matter, the message that people are willing to pay money to get achievements and keep their 100% isn't DLC specific.

And many completionists will.

i dont see where this is going. yes, many people will buy the new instruments for the achievements, and many people will not. there will be many people upset at not getting 1000 gs because they have brains not to buy the pro controllers solely for achievements, and there are many who say it will be worth it in the long run. i see all the views.

i will now personally play all future rock band games for the sake of enjoying it, and not completing it achievement wise. although harmonix mightve screwed the pooch when making this achievement list, you are right that it will not downsize the general gameplay of the game. i will never buy the pro instruments except the keyboard. why? because i find no point when i have a real guitar. therefore i must face the fact that i will never get those achievements.

Runny
08-13-2010, 04:17 AM
They're just achievements. They don't mean anything. lol jesus christ. I think it's cool. It'll actually mean something to have...if you get them of course :p

T-Hybrid
08-13-2010, 04:50 AM
This list involves no skill whatsoever.
Yes. You are right. It requires no skill to learn and play a real instrument.

The pro-mode is a completely optional feature within a disc filled with all of the old RB features you are familiar with.

The pro instruments are neccesary to make use of this feature, which involves learning real instruments. The only thing that's actually unneeded are the achievements.

RockBanditPhil
08-13-2010, 05:36 AM
The game contains 1250 and there is 240 worth of Pro achievements, that is including keyboard. So without getting ANY keyboard achievements, if you have DLC, you can get 1010g.

Spade422
08-13-2010, 07:08 AM
Yes. You are right. It requires no skill to learn and play a real instrument.

The pro-mode is a completely optional feature within a disc filled with all of the old RB features you are familiar with.

The pro instruments are neccesary to make use of this feature, which involves learning real instruments. The only thing that's actually unneeded are the achievements.

i am right. all the pro achievements (minus the keyboard one) can be done at any difficulty, so as long as you have the instruments, you basically get free achievements.

and you are completely correct about your second statement. the achievements are unneeded when dealing with pro mode instruments. thanks for getting my point across.

The Nerevarine
08-13-2010, 10:04 PM
At least someone out there understands this. Sadly, you're not going to change it through education, you'll literally have to go to these people's houses and beat it into them.

OCD + internet = consumerism hell

RLKDragon
08-14-2010, 03:32 AM
I ain't shelling out $80 for a keyboard, and I'm certainly not shelling out $150 for the guitar. So right there off the bat, that's 230GS I'm not gonna get unless I know someone who pays for the extras. Oh well.

mikachu93
08-14-2010, 03:42 AM
I ain't shelling out $80 for a keyboard, and I'm certainly not shelling out $150 for the guitar. So right there off the bat, that's 230GS I'm not gonna get unless I know someone who pays for the extras. Oh well.
You could get the Keys Apprentice and Keys Streaker achievements with a guitar, so that's 35G right there. (Unless the game won't allow it, of course.)

General Boredom
08-14-2010, 11:26 AM
Keyboard achievements wasn't a surprise, but I was really hoping that there wouldn't be any related to Pro Mode.

I'll likely never get the full 1250 in this game anyway, but it still bothers me that if I want to, I need to buy the Pro guitar and new drums (still using the RB1 set).

Speaking of drums, has there been any word of a new drum set being available? Because nobody in my area sells the RB2 drum kit anymore.

TwistedFate
08-14-2010, 12:13 PM
Speaking of drums, has there been any word of a new drum set being available? Because nobody in my area sells the RB2 drum kit anymore.

They are releasing a drum kit for RB3.

Kellwolf9E
08-15-2010, 07:55 PM
They're just achievements. They don't mean anything. lol jesus christ.

IMO, this bears repeating. If these achievements raise your blood pressure this month.....you need to get out more. Get a girlfriend. Get a boyfriend. Get a new hobby or a different job. I don't know, something. They're imaginary points on a screen.

finallife6
08-15-2010, 07:58 PM
a good game over achievements (i only achievement whore in games i hate)
also if i was to buy all the cymbols for the rb2 kit would it let me play in pro mode ? (i dont care if it doesnt ill just buy a new kit to play pro mode)

Spade422
08-15-2010, 08:30 PM
IMO, this bears repeating. If these achievements raise your blood pressure this month.....you need to get out more. Get a girlfriend. Get a boyfriend. Get a new hobby or a different job. I don't know, something. They're imaginary points on a screen.

..and this is coming from somebody that liked these "imaginary points" so much they created an account on a website entitled "xbox360achievements"

ILoveAztecChick
08-15-2010, 11:11 PM
I think you're looking at it from the wrong perspective. Achievements are meant to be fun to get and add value for the player, not some OCD thing where you have to get them all (yes, I know that's a ridiculous statement coming from me, but I recognize that I'm not normal). Achievements for the pro modes will make it more fun for regular people who just want to enjoy the game by providing motivation and encouragement, although I do also wish that there were more difficult ones for pro guitar.

Kellwolf9E
08-15-2010, 11:29 PM
..and this is coming from somebody that liked these "imaginary points" so much they created an account on a website entitled "xbox360achievements"

Just because I enjoy doing something doesn't mean it's the be-all-end-all of my existence. If a game's got bad achievements, I either a) don't buy/play the game or b) get the achievements I like and move on. Like the above poster said, achievements are meant to be fun or a reward for a challenge. I never got the "Mile High" achievement in CoD4, either. It was beyond my skill level (despite the 5 hours spent trying). I didn't rant that it was a bad achievement, I just said "Oh well, guess I won't get 1000 on this game" and went on with my life. If Microsoft decided tomorrow that gamerscore and achievements went away, I'd still buy and play games for enjoyment. They won't, though. Too many people obsess over getting achievements, so it would be a huge financial hit for them to do so. People even buy bad games because they can get 1000 easy gamerscore. They may even downright hate the game, but they added another notch in the belt for a completed game.

Tweekfu
08-15-2010, 11:56 PM
They were always going to have pro mode achievements.

I myself am looking forward to getting them. but i was always planning on trying pro mode.

TwistedFate
08-16-2010, 02:09 AM

This retarded logic again? Why does somebody have to be over obsessed with achievements to belong to this site? The title of the site says nothing about being obsessed with achievements.

Here is the problem that most people are trying to point out. This is an actual quote in regards to RB3's Pro Guitar achievements from another site. "$150 is too much for 2 achievements."

Of course it is, and this is somebody who has lost touch with gaming in general. Achievements have become the only reason he/she plays. It's not $150 for 2 achievements. It's $150 for an enhanced gaming experience with 2 achievements as a reward.

When they stop being a reward for playing, and start being the reason you play, you have lost touch with what it means to be a gamer. At that point you are an Achievement Hoarder and doing more to hurt the gaming industry than pretty much anything else.

Tweekfu
08-16-2010, 02:31 AM
Well said TwistedFate,

It may be $150 for 2 achievements but its also $150 for a real guitar, and hours upon hours of fun.

Embalmer B U G
08-16-2010, 05:11 AM
Why couldn't make the pro achievements not instrument specific? Sure hope this list is fake.

Spade422
08-16-2010, 07:14 AM
Just because I enjoy doing something doesn't mean it's the be-all-end-all of my existence. If a game's got bad achievements, I either a) don't buy/play the game or b) get the achievements I like and move on. Like the above poster said, achievements are meant to be fun or a reward for a challenge. I never got the "Mile High" achievement in CoD4, either. It was beyond my skill level (despite the 5 hours spent trying). I didn't rant that it was a bad achievement, I just said "Oh well, guess I won't get 1000 on this game" and went on with my life. If Microsoft decided tomorrow that gamerscore and achievements went away, I'd still buy and play games for enjoyment. They won't, though. Too many people obsess over getting achievements, so it would be a huge financial hit for them to do so. People even buy bad games because they can get 1000 easy gamerscore. They may even downright hate the game, but they added another notch in the belt for a completed game.

surprisingly, many people who come to this site and help others with achievements could easily fit your description of "achievement obsessed." you might say that the correct way to "unlock achievements" is for the factor of a challenge or for fun. i agree that achievements are meant for fun, but the fact remains that there are some people (and to some regard, me) that want completed games (especially in the games they love).

the purpose of this thread was to get the point across that some people do not want to buy the new rock band instruments in order to get the full 1000/1250. does that make me achievement obsessed? does that make everybody who agrees with me in the forum achievement obsessed? no, it does not. as i mentioned earlier, why would i want to buy another fake guitar when i literally have a real one within arms reach of me right now? am i really achievement obsessed because i actually know how to play the guitar and i actually know the concept of money? achievement obsessed people, having a real guitar or not, would go out the first day rb3 comes out and buys every pro instrument the store has in stock if they want all the gamerscore they can get.

sure, i love achievements and i the occasional 1000 in music games, but i am not obsessive and i, surprisingly, do have a life. i agree with you; it is sad to see many desperate people going to LEGO games or Avatar in order to get another easy completion on their imaginary belt, but you shouldn't come to threads like these and hate on them.

ILoveAztecChick
08-16-2010, 10:21 AM
You're achievement obsessed because you can't seem to accept the fact that you won't be able to 1000 this game without the instruments, and you want Harmonix to deny features (achievements) to their pro mode customers for the sake of your completion record. If it's such a big deal to you just borrow your friends' instruments. I did that for Rock Band 1's solo buttons achievement.

Spade422
08-16-2010, 05:51 PM
You're achievement obsessed because you can't seem to accept the fact that you won't be able to 1000 this game without the instruments, and you want Harmonix to deny features (achievements) to their pro mode customers for the sake of your completion record. If it's such a big deal to you just borrow your friends' instruments. I did that for Rock Band 1's solo buttons achievement.

wow, you have clearly not read my other posts. who the hell said that i cant accept the fact that i wont be able to 1000 this game? sure, i admit that the second part is correct. I DO want Harmonix to deny achievements for pro mode customers, but its really NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL IF I DONT. sure i think its stupid; thats why i made this post. unless by random one of my friends gets the new guitar feature or something, then MAYBE ill consider it. however, i have never been obsessed so much as to ask for friend's equipment in order to get an achievement.

and again, would an achievement obsessed person avoid getting new instruments that are needed for a full 1000? nope.

most of the people posting in this thread are missing the point of the topic. somehow the mood transfered to pro instruments for the achievement list into a rant about how people are obsessed with gamerscore. i have said all i have wanted to say, and i will not be posting in this thread and probably the rb3 forums until the game is out and all of our questions will be answered. but feel free, anybody, to continue posting anything relating to the topic.

jamie-the-payne
08-16-2010, 06:14 PM
I buy every Rock Band/ Guitar Hero game and I wasn't planning to buy the pro instruments but I did think they were good. Then I saw the achievement list and I thought I might as well buy them now, for the full gamerscore and I've always wanted to play real guitar.

Gravehammer
08-16-2010, 06:52 PM
Mikachu's Picture sums it up for me. It's not that big of a deal. Too me it's not a deal at all, as I planned to get the pro instruments anyway, because honestly, I got bored of the fake guitar and bass by Guitar hero World Tour

QuintessonJudge
08-16-2010, 08:15 PM
so my question is, if you dont buy the new instruments whats the most gs you can possibly get?

TwistedFate
08-16-2010, 08:24 PM
so my question is, if you dont buy the new instruments whats the most gs you can possibly get?

You can get all the achievements that don't mention Pro mode. I'm not going to add it up for you.

T-Hybrid
08-16-2010, 08:35 PM
i am right. all the pro achievements (minus the keyboard one) can be done at any difficulty, so as long as you have the instruments, you basically get free achievements.
Yep, free achievements. Just like how the ESL and ESL2 were free achievements just as long as you had the instruments right?

Strike 1.

and you are completely correct about your second statement. the achievements are unneeded when dealing with pro mode instruments. thanks for getting my point across.
That's not what I said. And you know it. You have failed to grasp the basic point of the argument...and that is that the only unneccesary thing about any game is the achievements.

Strike 2.

who the hell said that i cant accept the fact that i wont be able to 1000 this game?
Do you read your own posts when you write them? This whole thread has been you whining about "useless instruments" being required to unlock 250 GS.

Strike 3.

Please exit the forum in a timely fashion before you embarass yourself further.

Spade422
08-17-2010, 08:11 AM
Yep, free achievements. Just like how the ESL and ESL2 were free achievements just as long as you had the instruments right?

Strike 1.

That's not what I said. And you know it. You have failed to grasp the basic point of the argument...and that is that the only unneccesary thing about any game is the achievements.

Strike 2.

Do you read your own posts when you write them? This whole thread has been you whining about "useless instruments" being required to unlock 250 GS.

Strike 3.

Please exit the forum in a timely fashion before you embarass yourself further.

my last post in this thread:

1. General opinions of ES and ES2 will range from just time consuming to downright terribly hard. I will not go into my own opinion because, likely, it will just cause another unnecessary flame war in this tread. Double checking on the achievement list, I can understand now how people would think this list isn't as easy as others might look at it. I overexageratted when I said that all the achievements are "free," and I am willing to admit that. We should all just keep our opinions low about the difficulty of the achievements until the game comes out, because frankly, none of us know what the game is gonna be like. I, obviously, failed to do so (not sarcastic).

2. Yes, I apologize for this one. I do play Halo matchingmaking in my spare time, and I do play band quickplay in RB2 a lot. The main priority for games is to enjoy them, achievements or none. You have every right to be mad at me and you are 100% correct and I was a douche for redirecting your quote.

3. Again, I apologize for this one too. I was a little heated up when I began this thread and I had said things that really do not sound like me as a gamer. Yeah, I do care about 100% music games, but for me it isn't the end of the world if I can't, despite what I might've said. When I started this thread, I thought it would be interesting to see people's reactions to the new pro mode feature in rb3 combined with achievements.

Lastly, I apologize to anybody who I might've offended in this thread. Sometimes I let my argumentative side get the best of me over the web and I can be a real dick. The initial reason why I made this thread was to discuss the relationship between specific instrument controllers and achievements and nothing else, and I now I really hoped to keep it that way.
It would be really nice if we could get no more topics other than that.

I will return to the rb3 forums when this game is released so that I may help people with specific achievements (especially if they involve vocals :) ) but for now, as clearly demonstrated by my actions in this thread, it would be best to keep my mouth shut.

THEMANGLER4
08-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Cry me a river, you care waay too much.

mikachu93
08-17-2010, 04:10 PM
Cry me a river, you care waay too much.
Excellent contribution. Really what this thread needed. But let's not try to start something, okay?

THEMANGLER4
08-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Excellent contribution. Really what this thread needed. But let's not try to start something, okay?

ok, mom...

GILLHUHN
08-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Well i already own a pro drum set just need the guitar and keyboard i was kinda planning on the keyboard anyway.

T-Hybrid
08-18-2010, 02:53 AM
Well i already own a pro drum set just need the guitar and keyboard i was kinda planning on the keyboard anyway.
Yeah, I'm surprised by the people who don't realize that the keys are a new instrument for EVERYBODY.

You get the keys and you've got a pro instrument right there.

dakisbac
08-18-2010, 07:55 PM
*grabs popcorn*

I agree with TwistedFate 100%. If you're playing solely for achievements then yes, this list is going to burn you financially. If you're playing for the enjoyment of the game then you won't care since you can still play with your current instruments or you won't mind (as much) upgrading to the new instruments.

Since these new instruments are real instruments it's actually a good investment to buy them since they'll be cheaper than others on the market. That, and we all have a new reply to the idiots that say "why don't you play a real instrument"

Karashion Judas-Ka
08-20-2010, 05:44 AM
Well as it was said already once, we brought this apon ourselves. But I really don't care, I will play the game like I normaly do and get what achivements I can as I go about completing the game, I have never once gotten full scroe on a RB game or a GH game and never will, I play them for entertainment, if my brother gets the pro items I will give it a crack but not for chieves, I do it cause I love music lol, that is my two cents on that.

AlecDuffin
08-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Well, I thought the pro guitar looked pretty cool...

B4d33nD
08-30-2010, 11:23 AM
Do you realize that you can achieve 1250 points in this game?

RealistIdealist
08-31-2010, 09:40 PM
Of course it is, and this is somebody who has lost touch with gaming in general. Achievements become the only reason he/she plays. It's not $150 for 2 achievements. It's $150 for an enhanced gaming experience with 2 achievements as a reward.

This always saddens me. Sometimes this happens to me and I lose touch but then I go back and tell myself that this was NOT the reason I got into gaming. Quite frankly, I wouldn't mind if they did away with the whole achievements in general. I 1000'd RB2 about 9 months ago and I still play it all the time with friends and alone too. I must admit I'm probably not going to get pro-instruments right away until I see a review of how well the pro-instruments work. I think there's also Pro-vocals which should be fun for me.

mikachu93
09-01-2010, 12:13 AM
I think there's also Pro-vocals which should be fun for me.
No Pro vocals. You can't really improve the vocal mode any more.

Unless you mean harmonies?

Monstor
09-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Im not mad, my birthday is 9 days after release, I'll just get the Full Band Kit for my Birthday

mikachu93
09-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Im not mad, my birthday is 9 days after release, I'll just get the Full Band Kit for my Birthday
Just a heads-up, there is no full band bundle, if that's what you're referring to. There's game+keys, but that's it.

shocellist
09-07-2010, 05:32 AM
hmmm it doesnt really bother me..you can still get 1000 in it. It will cost alot for people who will try and get these....but game devs and microsoft dont care about completionist.
Its not like they will take the achievements out or instantly drop the price on the guitars just because someone cares about their completion percent.

The game devs, Microsoft, and whoever makes the achievement list DOES care about completionists. In the sense that they will tailor the game to make more money off of them. The completionists will either not buy the game at all, or spend the money to get everything they need to 1000. Seems like they decided that they'll make more profits by requiring the new stuff to 1000.

HolyMoses81
09-07-2010, 10:06 AM

GH:M requires a GH-drumkit for 1000/1000!
That's what makes me feel much more pissed off.
100 bucks for 5 GS????? Kidding?
I have a RB-Drumkit and just for that one stupid tutorial-lesson I should buy a GH-drumkit?
At least with the RB3-Pro-instruments you buy a whole new bandwith of gameplay!!!

Miss Allen86
09-10-2010, 04:21 AM
The Dev's will do anything to take your $....even if it means pissing you off....those bastards.

RealistIdealist
10-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Well, there might go my chance to get all achievements in all RB games (yes, even GDRB) now since nobody I know will get any pro instruments. Thanks a lot Harmonix, I hope you're happy with what you did. :mad:

Yep, this was Harmonix's ultimate goal. To keep you from 100%ing their games. they said "Hey, that guy so far has 100%ed all our games! Lets change that by piling more stuff on!"

Oh brother.

mikachu93
10-01-2010, 08:47 PM
The Dev's will do anything to take your $....even if it means pissing you off....those bastards.
I really hope you're joking. Nobody's taking anybody's money. Nobody's forcing you, or anyone, to buy anything. It's a video game, and Pro is optional.

MartyMcFly
10-05-2010, 07:26 PM
This is mainly to argue with "The devs are taking our moneez!" argument.

Here's the breakdown:

Multiple instruments are optional. You can play with just your Gh2 Xplorer guitar controller, like me, or spend money on new controllers. But you don't have to.

You don't HAVE to buy 3 microphones. No one is putting a gun to your head making you sing Fall Out Boy.

You don't have to play Pro Mode. You can keep pressing colored buttons all you want. You don't even have to press the Orange button if you don't want to!

Bottom line: Achievements are optional! Yes, if you want the 1,000gs it requires you to use those other items, but if you don't have them, then oh well. No one is taking your money. That is the most ridiculous argument to make. You can say you're giving them your money if you'd like, but no one is stealing it out of your pocket/wallet/bank account.

k9000
10-12-2010, 11:59 PM
Speaking of GS/cheevos in relation to gaming, I think this'll be the first release (well, ME2 perhaps) to distract me from the achievement system altogether.

They're (HMX) actually providing me with a medium in which I can finally start to learn even the basics of strings the way that's much more fluent to me; immersive & self challenging game environment, peer (and beer) presence optional. Always wanted to, but never could find myself applied to it for more than couple of weeks of traditional training. Come 2011 Q1, I'll be ever so less clumsily fretting 'til my fingers bleed.

Yeah the Squier will be arguably more expensive than your average starter kit on sale, but I'm more than willing to invest that much in my freetime hobby, considering the whole emotional and educational value I get out of it in the end, not the mention the oodles of social enjoyment. And of course the aforementioned collector's item -aspect as well. The fact that I can provide the same means to my regular RB-gang by switching roles does really not hurt the scenario either.

I have to admit that I'm not your average target group either, as I've slowly started to convert my music gaming gear towards amateur/home studio gear. In which regard the first news of the pro-mode got me all worked up, as the barrier between gaming peripherals and actual instruments begin to slowly dissolve.

And as a pre-emptive response to Power Gig endorsers regarding the last, sorry, the instruments and the actual game seem just ... well, bloody horrid :(

osakamitsu
10-13-2010, 04:59 AM
im not upset at all. no one said you had to buy rb3. you could have stuck with rb1 and rb2. There isnt that much difference between them. rb3 however is a new game all together. There trying revolutionize how music games are played. they want to people to buy the instruments so that rb3 doesnt fail. i just played through the career, which is just a bunch of challenges this time around, but other than that there is no difference. I dont have any pro instruments besides a midi keyboard that I havent tried to get it to work with yet and the ion kit that I also havent hooked up yet, but all the pro modes are grayed out til I do.

DOA_Rose
10-14-2010, 11:17 PM
i agree with you; it is sad to see many desperate people going to LEGO games or Avatar in order to get another easy completion on their imaginary belt

I played Avatar & TMNT because I'm a fan of their respective licenses, and I play the LEGO games because they're fun...the easy 1000G were just a happy bonus.

On topic, I'll be getting the keyboard bundled with the game. I'll also be getting the guitar for pro mode (not the controller one, the real one you can use as a controller). I may or may not get the cymbals, as I can barely do drums on beginner....

Daniel55645
10-18-2010, 01:49 PM
ya i know its ridiculous. im not worried about the pro mode. ill never buy the pro mode guitar.

PSYCOPAPPY5
10-19-2010, 12:36 AM
good song list looks like a very fun game i dont know why your mad about the pro stuff im sure if you have any friends that like music games like i do they will let you borrow the Pro guitar from em.........

ChiccoC1
10-19-2010, 05:30 PM
They are a gigantic company, and they are obviously covering their new features with some achievements, but the Dave Ghrol one? Smart, but I'm not buying 5 songs for each band he jammed with.

SebastianSB
10-19-2010, 06:17 PM
They are a gigantic company, and they are obviously covering their new features with some achievements, but the Dave Ghrol one? Smart, but I'm not buying 5 songs for each band he jammed with.

Five songs TOTAL that he's in, not five songs for each band. Some of those bands (Them Crooked Vultures) don't even have five songs in the game.

All you need is five tracks from any of these bands:

Foo Fighters
Nirvana
Queens of the Stone Age
Them Crooked Vultures
Tenacious D

I'm sure there's more. He's a madman.

NoThru22
10-19-2010, 07:13 PM
Five songs TOTAL that he's in, not five songs for each band. Some of those bands (Them Crooked Vultures) don't even have five songs in the game.

All you need is five tracks from any of these bands:

Foo Fighters
Nirvana
Queens of the Stone Age
Them Crooked Vultures
Tenacious D

I'm sure there's more. He's a madman.
He played drums on at least one Nine Inch Nails song that's in the game (The Collector I believe.)

RealistIdealist
10-19-2010, 10:07 PM
The only Achievement I don't really like is having to buy the specific Nine Inch Nails song. I don't understand why I have to buy the perfect drug anyway...

MondoBondo
10-19-2010, 10:41 PM
The only Achievement I don't really like is having to buy the specific Nine Inch Nails song. I don't understand why I have to buy the perfect drug anyway...
because it's a great song :P

TwistedFate
10-19-2010, 11:02 PM
I don't understand why I have to buy the perfect drug anyway...

You don't.

RealistIdealist
10-20-2010, 12:24 AM
You don't.

I just meant to get that one achievement. It could have just stayed to a specific band, limiting to a song is kinda weird.

SebastianSB
10-20-2010, 02:23 AM
I just meant to get that one achievement. It could have just stayed to a specific band, limiting to a song is kinda weird.

Have you heard/seen the charts for it? Crazy drums, fun vocals, and an interesting guitar chart. It's also a pretty damn interesting song overall. I don't think you'll really be disappointed. It's been a community favorite for a long time and was included on Track Pack 2 for a reason.

Onyok
10-20-2010, 12:29 PM
Pardon me but my search yield nothing or i may haven't searchd well enough but just a quick question: if the pro mode achievements for drums can be unlocked using the old drum rocker by Ion?

TIA!

SebastianSB
10-20-2010, 01:20 PM
Pardon me but my search yield nothing or i may haven't searchd well enough but just a quick question: if the pro mode achievements for drums can be unlocked using the old drum rocker by Ion?

TIA!

Yes.

Minimum character requirement in posts is stupid.

NoThru22
10-20-2010, 01:20 PM

TIA!
The Drum Rocker, of course, has 100% support in pro mode.

Onyok
10-20-2010, 01:28 PM
The Drum Rocker, of course, has 100% support in pro mode. Awesome! Thanks much!

xCOBRAx
10-21-2010, 12:50 AM
Oh gosh, that was an interesting read and I'll try and be quick...

First off "Pro Mode" achievements are the natural progression of things. Since the beginning of achievements games have always taken steps to highlight key features of the game by tying achievements to them. In TBRB it was vocal harmonies, this time its pro instruments. Sure they are a tad bit more expensive but who said innovation was cheap?

It seems that most people that have responded to this thread with "if you care about achievements your a _______" have some crazy notion of what achievements are in the first place. Achievements are just that, something you achieve. Remember back in the day how freaking hard Contra was? Well today there would be an achievement for beating it. Games in general have gotten way less difficult and specific achievements (i.e. 100% this solo, or shoot _____ in the head from a mile away on super extreme) are a way for gamers to say look, I conquered a difficult task. The only viable point the OP has brought up is the fact that they are easy. Just buying the instrument shouldnt allow you to get the achievement, you should have to learn how to play something a little bit more than the basics.

A question I have that i cant seem to find the answer to is, why is this game shipping with 1250 achievement points rather than 1000 like every other game ever and futhermore why arent those 1250 achievements attainable w/o the purchase of extra DIGITAL content. I specifically say digital because you wouldnt expect to get all the achievements in Dance Dance Revolution w/o a dance pad. Last time Kotaku featured an article on Microsofts guidelines for achievements it was stated that the max a game can ship with is 1000 with the ability to expand to 1750 through DLC. So i guess my question specifically is, are the extra 250 considered DLC and wont become "available" until you have purchased a song specific to it (i.e. The Perfect Drug)?

SebastianSB
10-21-2010, 01:38 AM
A question I have that i cant seem to find the answer to is, why is this game shipping with 1250 achievement points rather than 1000 like every other game ever and futhermore why arent those 1250 achievements attainable w/o the purchase of extra DIGITAL content. I specifically say digital because you wouldnt expect to get all the achievements in Dance Dance Revolution w/o a dance pad. Last time Kotaku featured an article on Microsofts guidelines for achievements it was stated that the max a game can ship with is 1000 with the ability to expand to 1750 through DLC. So i guess my question specifically is, are the extra 250 considered DLC and wont become "available" until you have purchased a song specific to it (i.e. The Perfect Drug)?

Games have launched with more than 1000 or 200 in the past (see Sonic Adventure). The extra achievements always require DLC. Rock Band has had more DLC than any video game in history, so it only makes sense that we would finally get some DLC achievements.

The DLC achievements require you to play X DLC tracks, more 80's metal than is on the disc, more Dave Grohl songs than are on the disc, Boston, DLC Queen, etc.

TwistedFate
10-21-2010, 02:11 AM

You answered your own question. The guidelines are 1000 on disc, with an extra 250 each quarter for the first 3 quarters after release. RB3 has 1000 on disc points obtainable with no extra digital content needed. Then the extra 250 are the first quarter DLC points. Day 1 is first quarter, so 250 extra DLC points on Day 1. Somebody starting with RB3 that has no DLC will only be able to get 1000 without DLC.

phenixdwn
10-23-2010, 06:15 AM
they should have a rebate for obtaining 1000GS on this game. Prove you're worthy and they reward you lol. Then ultimately when you get sick of sucking (from a professional standpoint) and your fingers hurt you have more incentive to keep at it. Money may not make the world go round but it makes us americans do just about anything.. why not something useful.

On the other hand this game is about progression so Unless theres an achievement for 100%'ing some disgustingly fast metal song on Expert Pro... I think it'll be worth learning a real instrument. (money wise and achievements aside)

I've been playing guitar for a few years so I'm excited to have a head start on a few of you guys ;)

RealistIdealist
10-24-2010, 10:08 AM
Have you heard/seen the charts for it? Crazy drums, fun vocals, and an interesting guitar chart. It's also a pretty damn interesting song overall. I don't think you'll really be disappointed. It's been a community favorite for a long time and was included on Track Pack 2 for a reason.

Never even listened to the song.

SebastianSB
10-24-2010, 03:55 PM
Never even listened to the song.

YouTube - The Perfect Drug Gold Star - Expert Drums - Rock Band

Genetic Carnage
10-26-2010, 04:24 AM
I really hope you're joking. Nobody's taking anybody's money. Nobody's forcing you, or anyone, to buy anything. It's a video game, and Pro is optional.

This actually is not true. Someone broke into my house last night, and kidnapped my wife. His face was covered in a Ronald Reagan mask but I knew he was from Harmonix because he rocked the Bass icon shirt seen in Scott Pilgrim vs the World. And before you say "Maybe Scott Pilgrim took your wife!" Don't be dense, he's not real. HARMONIX IS. And as the OP proved through logical debate, they are the Umbrella Corporation of the gaming world. Sure, they seem nice, but underneath? Apocalypse.

Anyway, short story long, there was a note that said, HARMONIX STOLE YOUR WIFE, ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO GET HER BACK? I'm actually not, so I'm hoping 1k'ing RB3 will bring her back. :woop:

And to the OP: If you really want to stick it to the Man, don't buy RB3 at all. Keeping it off your Gamercard will not only help your 100% completion rate, but will send a clear message to Harmonix that you will not go quietly into that cold, dark, expensive night.

Mopey
10-26-2010, 08:21 AM
What he said.

tmacairjordan87
10-26-2010, 04:09 PM
I'm pretty pissed about it. Last time I checked, I believe I counted 14 achievements that I will not be able to get because I'm not spending $70 to play a sissy instrument, and I'm not forking over $200+ to buy the pro instruments.

The number of un-achievable achievements goes up too if you count the DLC ones and you don't have or want some of the songs it requires. It's a pretty bush league tactic by Harmonix (though, honestly this reeks of EA)

TwistedFate
10-26-2010, 04:40 PM
I'm pretty pissed about it. Last time I checked, I believe I counted 14 achievements that I will not be able to get because I'm not spending $70 to play a sissy instrument, and I'm not forking over $200+ to buy the pro instruments.

I'd ask what makes one instrument a sissy instrument, but you've already proven yourself to be an idiot with that statement and I doubt anything you have to say on that subject would be any better, or make any more sense.

The number of un-achievable achievements goes up too if you count the DLC ones and you don't have or want some of the songs it requires. It's a pretty bush league tactic by Harmonix (though, honestly this reeks of EA)

All DLC based achievements require you to buy stuff you don't have. This is true for all games, it's not just a Rock Band, Harmonix, or EA phenomenon.

tmacairjordan87
10-26-2010, 07:47 PM
I'd ask what makes one instrument a sissy instrument, but you've already proven yourself to be an idiot with that statement and I doubt anything you have to say on that subject would be any better, or make any more sense.

keyboard= sissy. Guitar/drums/bass= not sissy.

It's pretty easy to figure out, like asking if the Triangle is a sissy instrument. If you have to ask, you're probably a Triangle player.

SebastianSB
10-26-2010, 08:02 PM
keyboard= sissy. Guitar/drums/bass= not sissy.

It's pretty easy to figure out, like asking if the Triangle is a sissy instrument. If you have to ask, you're probably a Triangle player.

Your stupid causes physical pain to those around you.

MartyMcFly
10-26-2010, 08:03 PM
Your stupid causes physical pain to those around you.

Much agreed.

tmacairjordan87
10-26-2010, 08:19 PM
Guess we found who plays keyboard. I'm sure the chicks all ignore the singers/drummers/guitarists and go right for the manly keyboard player after a concert.

SebastianSB
10-26-2010, 08:45 PM
Guess we found who plays keyboard. I'm sure the chicks all ignore the singers/drummers/guitarists and go right for the manly keyboard player after a concert.

Yes, the super manly video game.

Der Nacho
10-27-2010, 12:15 AM

I think you're protesting too much, maybe you secretly LOVE THE KEYBOARD.

Admit it...

GuitarGuruXXX
10-27-2010, 12:52 AM
gonna have to test out the mustang before i buy it.

Genetic Carnage
10-31-2010, 05:19 PM

I think another way to find out who plays keyboard would be to check the leaderboards for Keyboard. That would tell us.

And to everyone who's getting mad at this guy, his avatar pic is Gears of War. What are you doing in the Rock Band forum? Go play Halo Reach until GoW3 and Madden 12 come out. Stick to what you know.

I usually have the worst ideas, so listening to me means you need a lobotomy but... what about finding a place that's demo-ing the pro guitar, like Walmart or Best Buy, and throwing your profile on a flash drive and going in there with it? It's a long shot, and most places have the system in a protective case, but hey, it's an idea right?

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go play the keyboard and get some serious ass. :woop:

corrme
10-31-2010, 08:46 PM
makes me laugh when people get so worked up about things like this, i have ordered the keyboard and mustang guitar, not for achievements though, i ordered them because i want to play them, they look like they will be good fun & maybe start to teach me how to play for real (hopefully)

achievements are good fun but they are not the be all and end all of gaming, otherwise you would only play games that are easy to get gamer score and never play some of the top titles

NomoreNiceGuy
10-31-2010, 11:18 PM
I knew they would realese pro achiviments.
But i dont give a damn. im not going to spend 100-200 hard earned dollars just cause this achiviments.

andami
11-01-2010, 03:50 AM
I don't have a problem with pro-instruments being needed for some achievements, but when 12 of the achievements can only be obtained with "real" instruments, and when the total cost of the pro-instruments is well over $300 then that's a problem to me.

SebastianSB
11-01-2010, 04:06 AM
I knew they would realese pro achiviments.
But i dont give a damn. im not going to spend 100-200 hard earned dollars just cause this achiviments.

Good. My TA ratio will inflate.

BarnesyJr48
11-01-2010, 04:46 AM
Here's a novel idea: if you're unhappy about the situation, DONT PLAY THE GAME.
No one is forcing you to.
And whoever said the keys are a sissy instrument needs to get their head examined. Seriously.

x352x pH
11-03-2010, 01:16 PM
This list involves no skill whatsoever. The only thing it involves is shoving dollar after dollar down Harmonix's throat until they cough up more gamerscore.

Excuse me good sir, I beg to differ. The achievement for completing the advanced tutorials on pro drums are insane! I will probably never be able to get this achievement =/

Der Nacho
11-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Bottom lining it, if your buying the pro instruments for intangible benefits, you're stupid. And throwing your money away. You should be choosing to make those purchases based on the fact that you may want to have fun with those. I look forward to figuring out how to find the cash for the Squire next march, I'm looking forward to loving to play a game guitar again. Hell I just picked up the keyboard cause I think it'll be fun.

And that should be your motivation. Duh.

Stufin135
11-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Bottom lining it, if your buying the pro instruments for intangible benefits, you're stupid.
Exactly. So far I have bought the Keyboard only to help musical skills on that instrument, I already find myself a reasonable guitarist, bassist and drummer so currently have no need for them. But when I have spare money lying about I will buy the Pro Drums and Pro Guitar to just add to the fun and help improve skills I currently have. Anyone who buys these instruments for achievements are...... I think I will call them special :).

Genetic Carnage
11-03-2010, 09:35 PM

I'm with the sissy keyboard player, I wanted to get 1750 on Borderlands, until I found out you had to buy the DLC to get the achvs for it. Why kind of garbage is that? What if I don't want to spend hours in Moxxi's Underdome? I have to frickin' eat it if I want those achvs. In a perfect world, you should be able to get DLC achvs just by being aware of them. Having to actually achieve something is just stupid and pointless. Oh, and it reeks of EA.

naibsel420
11-04-2010, 08:29 PM
a good game over achievements (i only achievement whore in games i hate)
also if i was to buy all the cymbols for the rb2 kit would it let me play in pro mode ? (i dont care if it doesnt ill just buy a new kit to play pro mode)

yea rb2 cymbals will let u play in pro mode but to do the pro drum trainer challenge ull have to buy a second set of cymbals since only come 2 to a box and 3 are required. but u can play the songs in pro mode and get rest of the achievements with 2 cymbals.

which rb3 cymbals have the rubber thing all the way around and rb2 only has half of it and rb2 cymbals dont tilt towards u which isnt a big deal once u get used to it. so buyin the extra cymbal can be useful if one breaks u have a back up.

I understand what people are saying about the pro mode achievements but its also like somebody said on gamefaqs. they could have just let it be for any instrument in pro mode but we all know how greedy corporations are especially when it comes to mtv and anything music (movies also, but thats off topic) industry related