PDA

View Full Version : Mad's Movie Review

MADasaHatter
08-13-2010, 03:16 AM
Go see it.
Period.

The End.

:p

Seriousley, it kicks all sort of ass. For those of you picking up the game and can pick up on the little (gaming) easter eggs hidden in the books, the movie's chock full of them, too. To say that it's the best video game movie is kind of strange considering it's not based on one particular title. But in all regards, it is imo.

From the moment you hear the Universal Theme music playing, you should already know that this movie has us "blister fingers" in mind. I'd won a special screening for it today but I'll be seeing again this weekend. Great movies deserve to be thrown money at.

Soundtrack is pretty tight (I'm talking the original score). The other OST is good with some indy thrashing but it's for selective tastes I guess.

Bring on the game.

MADasaHatter
08-18-2010, 11:50 PM
So now that the movie was out (and I saw it twice), I'd like to know what everyone thought. Good or bad. I saw it for a second time and then sneaked into the Expendables- ended up walking out of that garbage.

*and for those that don't know, the movie absolutely BOMBED here in the states. Only raked in $10 mil when it cost about 60 to make*

SPOILERS INBOUND FROM HERE ON OUT, SO IF YOU DIDN'T SEE THE MOVIE ... SHAME ON YOU.

What did everyone think of the fights?

The only ones left out that I wanted to see was the Mr. Chao fight/appearence and the early Knives vs Ramona fight. I thought that changing Knives hair didn't really last long plot wise. Other than that, the stuff added to the fights (Stunt Team FTW!!!) was pretty cool. And the moving/change of Nega Scott was good as well.

The only things I think the movie missed was the deeper meaning of the books. Scott didn't grow as much as the book, obvious for time and plot reasons. They cut out everyone's story and stuck with Scott which was alright, but it would have been cool to explain Gideon's master plan.

what did you guys think?

sinwar14
08-19-2010, 04:54 AM
i think the movie was great, haven't read the books gonna pick em up before the game comes out. they should've chosen someone that isnt michael cera( i guess they chose him cuz he's a canadian) and finally i love how its based in toronto ( i lived their for 13 years)

N3xus Gam3r
08-19-2010, 04:59 AM
No Shame On Me!

the movie isnt even out in Denmark yet :(
i really want to see it :3

sinwar14
08-19-2010, 05:19 AM
i forgot to mention yes it did do poorly in the box office opening weekend. but itll prolly do better on disc release. just like kickass did

N3xus Gam3r
08-19-2010, 05:25 AM
Any ideas when it's hitting the EU?

in cinema of course ;)

sinwar14
08-19-2010, 05:28 AM
Any ideas when it's hitting the EU?

in cinema of course ;)
i read its coming out in the uk on aug 25th along with the game but i dont know if its all of Europe

N3xus Gam3r
08-19-2010, 05:29 AM
I hope it does, i want to see the movie :3

sinwar14
08-19-2010, 05:39 AM
i forgot to mention again that i visited a few of those places a few years back.i dont know if these count as spoilers if they do im sorry (castle loma, dundas square)

sorry for the stupid post

Son of Kyuss
08-19-2010, 07:29 PM
The standout fight, at least in my opinion, was definitely Lucas Lee. The added duel with the stunt doubles was a great homage to The Warriors and further exemplified how arrogant Lucas was.

Another thing I enjoyed was seeing Toronto in all of its glory (its mostly used to portray different cities for most movies) which would explain why Toronto is using Scott Pilgrim to boost tourism.

MADasaHatter
08-19-2010, 08:24 PM
i forgot to mention again that i visited a few of those places a few years back.i dont know if these count as spoilers if they do im sorry (castle loma, dundas square)

sorry for the stupid post

Not a stupid post. Pretty cool actually.

The standout fight, at least in my opinion, was definitely Lucas Lee. The added duel with the stunt doubles was a great homage to The Warriors and further exemplified how arrogant Lucas was.

Lee's fight was actually better than the book. Too bad I saw the "stunt double team" clip in some random making of docu. But the truth is, it worked and I was glad there was more to it than just the skateboard "grind thingy".

Scott vs Mathew Pattel
I don't know about anyone but I did not read this fight to have Bollywood attached to it. I know he was singing and Scott's friends dance with Scott to defeat him, but Pattel was a good fight in just that it set up the rest of the movie. Scott was in line with the book Scott- not a pushover nerd. He knew how to fight (AND air juggle!!!)

Scott vs Todd
My 2nd fav. I mean, c'mon. He fought Superman for crying out loud. The "cleaning lady on Monday" line was spot on and the bass battle was wicked. Visually the two best scenes involved Todd. The first was as he picked up Scott in the dressing room and the world sort of dulled, and the second was the look of him floating through the hole in the wall. Two great stills I would love to have as a poster.

Ramona vs Roxy
My fav fight. Silly and over the top, and the anticlimactic ending in place. I can't recall but they added Ramona using Scott's hands to slap Roxy around, right? Call me a man but seeing those two go at it was a highlight. Hammer vs whip blade.

Scott vs the Twins
Took out the physical fight and made it an amp battle? Eh, alright. The "Threshold" song by Sex Bob-omb was actually pretty good up against the electronic twins. I mean, is it me or was Sex Bob-omb not horrible? I expected to hear them sound just plain bad, but Threshold, Garbage Truck and the opening song was pretty nice. Grainy, garage band stuff. I dig it. No giant robot. No double flying knee to defeat the twins (and no achievement unlocked? wtf). That all aside, the battle was pretty nice.

Scott vs Gideon
I'll give it to the actor who played Gideon (forgot his name) but he was just arrogant enough to pull it off. I especially liked the one arm behind his back while dueling two people. That being said, the fight was a bit underwhelming. Nega Scott wasn't even a fight so you should have a big epic last boss to be brought down. Scott was outmatched and needed Knives to take him out? Meh.

N3xus Gam3r
08-19-2010, 08:48 PM
Hey Mad, i think you would like this :D

http://imageshack.dk/imagesfree/XYz50378.gif

i rezised it with photoshop, and it works as an avatar on the site, feel free to use :D

Dragon captin87
08-19-2010, 09:07 PM
this was EASILY the best movie i have ever seen. the dialogue was witty, the fight scenes i thought were all well done, and plenty of nostalgic game references to make me feel like a kid again. def going to see this again 2 or 3 more times before they release it on dvd. but i cant wait to see what extras they put on the dvd either.

final verdict: GO SEE THIS MOVIE!!!!!

MADasaHatter
08-20-2010, 12:26 AM
Hey Mad, i think you would like this :D

http://imageshack.dk/imagesfree/XYz50378.gif

i rezised it with photoshop, and it works as an avatar on the site, feel free to use :D

awwwwesome. Thanks a mil.:Bounce:

N3xus Gam3r
08-20-2010, 04:23 AM
awwwwesome. Thanks a mil.:Bounce: You're welcome ;)

H0p3sfalL
08-20-2010, 05:33 PM
@ MADasaHatter (from other post on avatar stuff)

i just felt that some of the fights were good and some were better. I mean in the first fight with ex #1 its like he already knew all the moves to block. Its prob just me but thats my view on it. Regardless the movie is AWESOME !

Doktor Wilhelm
08-27-2010, 01:24 AM
An amazing film, just went to see a late night showing of it with my girlfriend (for my birthday, though my birthday ended while watching the film, lol)!

Mikeyspinkick
08-27-2010, 02:19 AM
What's this? People STILL haven't seen it? Get your asses out there and watch a hell of a movie!

Littledud206
08-28-2010, 11:44 PM
I saw the movie yesterday not knowing it was a comic book/graphic novel, and i thought it was amazing! Best film ive seen an absolute long time and deffanitly one of my favourites. After that film although its only been a day, i wish i had known about thecomic books/graphic novels the day they came out, ive actually grown addicted to it so i have a question, should i get the comic books/graphic novels even though ive seen the film? sorry if this is in the wrong thread or something, dont use forums very much

MADasaHatter
08-29-2010, 01:04 AM
Not the wrong thread at all.

The graphic novels are much better, well for me any way. I'm a 29 year old who's seen his run of relationships and I feel like I was much like Scott was. Hell, I have some friends who still are.

The truth is, the graphic novels go into much more detail of Scott's past, including more of his exes and how he and Gideon were similiar. Scott's battle vs NegaScott was actually a fight, one that represented how he was an evil ex to the previous girls in his life.

Great stuff for a graphic novel that is fun and funny at the same time. You can enjoy it without the symbolism. I reccommend it to everyone.

SynysterChris
08-29-2010, 07:38 AM
I have seen the movie twice, still planning on seeing it again, maybe this thursday or Friday, with my friend. The movie is really awesome and its a shame that its doing so bad in theaters.

TakahashiDemon
08-29-2010, 11:25 AM
I'm for going to see the movie, can tell I'll already like it from just playing the game, I also want to find the comics and read them, also watched the creator of them on deviantART already.

Once I see it, which may be tonight hopefully, I will say what I thought. ;)