PDA

View Full Version : Can't get the Grip of the Game :(

alex555
08-15-2010, 05:40 AM
Hey guys, you see I'm a fan of the game series, I played Calamity Trigger and loved it, and got all 50 achievements (you got to admit not any/casual player can get them all), so yes I conidered myself good at the game. Anyway, I just recently got Continuum Shift, and WTF!!! I can't get the grip of it! There's no right stick easy combos, I can't get passed the intermidiate tutorial combos, or trigger Tsubaki's combo on Challange 3. Also I was considered a master with Rachel and Noel, well not anymore :(. HELP ME GUYS PLEASE :eek: .

captain host
08-15-2010, 07:58 AM
Hey guys, you see I'm a fan of the game series, I played Calamity Trigger and loved it, and got all 50 achievements (you got to admit not any/casual player can get them all), so yes I conidered myself good at the game. Anyway, I just recently got Continuum Shift, and WTF!!! I can't get the grip of it! There's no right stick easy combos, I can't get passed the intermidiate tutorial combos, or trigger Tsubaki's combo on Challange 3. Also I was considered a master with Rachel and Noel, well not anymore :(. HELP ME GUYS PLEASE :eek: . Why would a master use the right stick my good sir?

ParoXyzm
08-15-2010, 01:30 PM
Why would a master use the right stick my good sir?

I was ... thinking the same thing :P

Anyway, several of the characters got nerfed (Noel and Rachel both did) and so that could be part of the reason why you are having a hard time.

Though if you can't complete the tutorial, I think we have a problem... I can understand if you aren't good with Ragna (as I wasn't) but after some practice it should come.

The challenges were meant to be, well, challenging. So don't be discouraged if you can't beat them. Just keep practicing.

Ziggurat 9
08-15-2010, 06:23 PM
Hey guys, you see I'm a fan of the game series, I played Calamity Trigger and loved it, and got all 50 achievements (you got to admit not any/casual player can get them all), so yes I conidered myself good at the game. Anyway, I just recently got Continuum Shift, and WTF!!! I can't get the grip of it! There's no right stick easy combos, I can't get passed the intermidiate tutorial combos, or trigger Tsubaki's combo on Challange 3. Also I was considered a master with Rachel and Noel, well not anymore :(. HELP ME GUYS PLEASE :eek: .

I really don't want to sound like a dick but I had a similiar problem and was sympathetic with you until you said you used the easy specials on the right stick.

I encourage everyone to really learn their characters and to try to really play the game without the "cheat-stick" or beginner mode or anything like that.

Nei Debrusc
08-15-2010, 06:42 PM
I was glad for the right stick because it meant I wouldn't get frustrated trying to pull off an Astral Heat or Distortion Drive in Story Mode. I'm just no good with quarter circles, never have been, and it gets really annoying playing Story Mode and dying because I wanted to do a drive and my character just jumped up in the air instead. I curse at my screen a lot, because if you're not good at a game, it's the TV's fault.

Ziggurat 9
08-15-2010, 06:53 PM
I was glad for the right stick because it meant I wouldn't get frustrated trying to pull off an Astral Heat or Distortion Drive in Story Mode. I'm just no good with quarter circles, never have been, and it gets really annoying playing Story Mode and dying because I wanted to do a drive and my character just jumped up in the air instead. I curse at my screen a lot, because if you're not good at a game, it's the TV's fault.

But the problem is you will never GET good at QCF or HCB or anything like that until you practice. The hit confirm in this game is so huge it's very easy to link 5b>5c>632146D (CS) with Ragana.

Practice, that's all it is.

Kairi
08-15-2010, 10:15 PM
I was glad for the right stick because it meant I wouldn't get frustrated trying to pull off an Astral Heat or Distortion Drive in Story Mode. I'm just no good with quarter circles, never have been, and it gets really annoying playing Story Mode and dying because I wanted to do a drive and my character just jumped up in the air instead. I curse at my screen a lot, because if you're not good at a game, it's the TV's fault. I understand what you mean. I mainly used easiy specials for characters i couldnt use at all Like Carl for example since I had major issues even on beginner level using him xD

I kinda have same isue with the topic creator. I cant beat tutorial mode either T.T I also used to use Rachel alot oand I have a lot of problems with using her in Continuum Shift I didnnt have in the first game. I also find the timing window in this game tigher then the other one so maybe that has to do with something too...

Pegasus Tenma
08-16-2010, 01:04 AM
Joke topic?

alex555
08-16-2010, 02:42 AM
Joke topic?

Well as you can see a lot of people have went through this problem so I don't see anything of joke on this. :confused:

Well after looking at the first user's reply I felt discouraged and not worth of owning my Achievements at Calamity Trigger. But then thanks to the other supportive comments of the rest, I guess it's best to practice, and get the hang of it. :)

Also it's not that I can't trigger the combos or learn them, the point is that the stick is not that accurate, I do the circle things but my character either ends up jumping or doing another combo, not the one I want it to do.

ParoXyzm
08-16-2010, 03:33 AM
Well as you can see a lot of people have went through this problem so I don't see anything of joke on this. :confused:

Well after looking at the first user's reply I felt discouraged and not worth of owning my Achievements at Calamity Trigger. But then thanks to the other supportive comments of the rest, I guess it's best to practice, and get the hang of it. :)

Also it's not that I can't trigger the combos or learn them, the point is that the stick is not that accurate, I do the circle things but my character either ends up jumping or doing another combo, not the one I want it to do.

If you're doing a QC (214/236) and you're jumping, that means you're moving the stick too far. Positions 789 are the jumping ones. You can take it to training mode and turn on the button inputs to see whether you actually are doing the circles correctly. I use Lambda and many of her attacks (including both her DDs) use either a QC or a HC. 95% of the time, I hit them when I want to, it's all about practice so keep at it :).

Also, don't let comments get you down. While I frown upon easy specials as they kind of ruins the challenge (who needs to learn the moveset if I can just 6C until I get heat and then move the stick!), I understand that they serve a purpose offline. Though if you want someone to play with, feel free to hit me up on live.

P.S. I rather like your Record of Agarest War forum avatar :p

Kairi
08-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Yeah I had that problem alot in this as well especially trying to do something like Carnage Sissors n.n; Sometimes it does Dead Spike like 8 times before it finallly does it xD I guess like I said earlier it might be because the timin window it a bit tighter.

Pegasus Tenma
08-16-2010, 01:47 PM
other ppl dont rely on easy specials so thats why i said "joke topic?".

Ziggurat 9
08-16-2010, 06:14 PM
other ppl dont rely on easy specials so thats why i said "joke topic?".

I believe easy specials actually hinder your game because they train you to do things that you SHOULD NOT be able to do. So, when I get CT I went into the button options and disabled them for both controllers. That was about the first thing I did.

I'm not talking down on people that used them but I think it's lazy and a lame way to play. If you want to learn the game or a character then you should do just that.

captain host
08-17-2010, 12:56 AM
I believe easy specials actually hinder your game because they train you to do things that you SHOULD NOT be able to do. So, when I get CT I went into the button options and disabled them for both controllers. That was about the first thing I did.

I'm not talking down on people that used them but I think it's lazy and a lame way to play. If you want to learn the game or a character then you should do just that. I have a friend who alway played using the joystick in BBCT and he sucked bad,when he got to BBCS, no need to tell you he was preatty fucking bad at the game whitout easy special.Ziggurat tell the truth, easy special hinder your play and make you sucky,investting some time in training is the way to go :3

Taiyz
08-17-2010, 02:34 AM
If you want to learn the game or a character then you should do just that. Kairi touched on this earlier too; this is basically my summary.

If you want to have pride in your mastery of a character, you can't use Easy Specials.

However, when it came to characters I had absolutely no interest in using/learning, it was Easy Specials all the way. Even with those characters, I don't mind that the feature's been taking away, and I don't plan on using Beginner Mode ever (I specifically disabled the button mapping for FN1.) Challenge Mode allows you to learn a few ideas to get you through the Arcade and Story Modes.

ParoXyzm
08-17-2010, 02:38 AM
Many of the DD/AH combinations use the same inputs so by practicing the specials on characters you don't play, it's still a way to practice ones that you may learn for your own character.

Ziggurat 9
08-17-2010, 08:36 AM
Kairi touched on this earlier too; this is basically my summary.

If you want to have pride in your mastery of a character, you can't use Easy Specials.

However, when it came to characters I had absolutely no interest in using/learning, it was Easy Specials all the way. Even with those characters, I don't mind that the feature's been taking away, and I don't plan on using Beginner Mode ever (I specifically disabled the button mapping for FN1.) Challenge Mode allows you to learn a few ideas to get you through the Arcade and Story Modes.

Now, easy specials have their place (almost). If you are just starting and want to see if you like the character or if you want to figure out timing with BNB's and just mess around to experiment and learn then I think they COULD be useful. Even if they are allowed for Training they should without-a-doubt be disabled for ANY vs play.

Now, the problem with using them even for training is that you get into your muscle memory things that need to be able to do regularly. If you use the "cheat stick" then your timing will suffer because you have to actually THINK about what to do instead of actually doing it once it is disabled for whatever reason.

It's good to see what CAN be done but even in doing that you are depriving yourself of the time to doing it correctly and getting muscle memory.

Easy specials are NEVER a good idea IMO.

Ziggurat 9
08-17-2010, 08:42 AM
Many of the DD/AH combinations use the same inputs so by practicing the specials on characters you don't play, it's still a way to practice ones that you may learn for your own character.

That is true. It is impossible to play any character and not get better overall. Even if every character had vastly different inputs from every other character, then the diversity would force you to be more accurate in your execution thereby increasing your game overall.

This is truly a very good game and I think people should put atleast a little time to get the achievments. I am not saying that everyone needs to get into the scene but dammit I get sick of sloppy execution bastards that never get better in this or any other game.

Nei Debrusc
08-17-2010, 12:43 PM
I'll be the first, second, and fourth person to say that I'm both spastic and easily frustrated, so QC's are my bane. I can do HC's just fine, for some reason. Of course, I can actually do QC's about 50-60% of the time in practice, but "out in the field," so to speak, I get too nervous and push the stick one degree too far. I'm more used to 3D fighters like Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive, where combos are completely different in execution than in this game. For one thing, QC's and such aren't really required to be as diverse. Practice would certainly help though.

ParoXyzm
08-17-2010, 01:26 PM
I love my QCs :)

alex555
08-18-2010, 05:05 AM
OK, mmmm perhaps topic closed? I think I've triggered an unnecesary discussion.

Anyway I have gotten the grip of the game, and not with Beginner Mode, I found it even more hard xD. Anyway I've got it once again with Rachel, and learned to use Tsubaki in good way, so. Still it's frustating they downgraded Rachel and Noel, they weren't so harmful like Tager for example, but oh well.

Thanks for those who supported me with your compliments when I was having a bad time.

captain host
08-18-2010, 05:22 AM

Anyway I have gotten the grip of the game, and not with Beginner Mode, I found it even more hard xD. Anyway I've got it once again with Rachel, and learned to use Tsubaki in good way, so. Still it's frustating they downgraded Rachel and Noel, they weren't so harmful like Tager for example, but oh well.

Thanks for those who supported me with your compliments when I was having a bad time. Rachel was one of the best @@;

Ziggurat 9
08-18-2010, 09:12 AM

Thanks for those who supported me with your compliments when I was having a bad time.

For the record I never meant to be mean or a dick about it all.

Devil Sora
08-19-2010, 12:33 AM
I was sorta a casual 2D fighter when CT came out and I used the trigger but when CS was released I noticed they nixed that idea which I personally feel like it was an excelent move in the right direction. The games combos are easy if you want to take the time and effort out and learn the inputs. even Astrals are so easy in this game. Just really play alot of chalenge modes or watch videos then go into training and just have at it. I still have yet to have a decent training run but I can already tell you I'm 100% better then I was in CT.

My one and only gripe with the training has to be that you can only execute 1 Astral finish per session. . . . I want to learn them but I dont want to spend a minute+ (bear in mind I'm trying to learn a button combonation) in the menus

ParoXyzm
08-19-2010, 12:38 AM
I was sorta a casual 2D fighter when CT came out and I used the trigger but when CS was released I noticed they nixed that idea which I personally feel like it was an excelent move in the right direction. The games combos are easy if you want to take the time and effort out and learn the inputs. even Astrals are so easy in this game. Just really play alot of chalenge modes or watch videos then go into training and just have at it. I still have yet to have a decent training run but I can already tell you I'm 100% better then I was in CT.

My one and only gripe with the training has to be that you can only execute 1 Astral finish per session. . . . I want to learn them but I dont want to spend a minute+ (bear in mind I'm trying to learn a button combonation) in the menus

No? When you press Back (or Select) you get all your burst icons back.

Taiyz
08-19-2010, 02:56 AM
You could also use the CPU to kill yourself, or just set Break Burst to infinite.

Devil Sora
08-19-2010, 03:04 AM
Huh. . . .sweet thanks guys just shows how little I actually know about the game still hahaha.

ParoXyzm
08-19-2010, 03:19 AM
Hah, no problem. Feel free to ask any more questions you might have.

Pegasus Tenma
08-20-2010, 12:37 AM
For the record I never meant to be mean or a dick about it all.

lol sorry I know i am a dick

chivalryVillian
11-22-2010, 03:39 AM
this so called remake is stupid. C.T. was way better. the score attack mode was eazyer and the combos was more simpler. now S.A MODE IS JUST HELL. hazama is a bitch cant get pass him

Ziggurat 9
12-09-2010, 04:23 AM
this so called remake is stupid. C.T. was way better. the score attack mode was eazyer and the combos was more simpler. now S.A MODE IS JUST HELL. hazama is a bitch cant get pass him

lol.

/10 char limit

absolutehell
12-09-2010, 04:39 AM

Momma mia, at least come up with a coherent argument.

Azrael008uk
12-13-2010, 09:27 PM

What's great about this game is that it's a Fighting Game with Replay Value.

You can pick up "UFC: Undisputed" and play all the way through the fairly lengthly tutorial mode in one sitting.

You might not remember everything at the end of it but you can do it.

This however, the Tutorial Mode and the Challenges will see you building your character knowledge and abilities steadily over time.

As you progress you haven't simply gone through the motions. You've become a better player.

D pad is your friend for many of the combos.

What I love about "Blazblue" is that Arc Systems know what they're doing when they code a game and slam the door shut on all those people trying to moan that the XBox 360 doesn't have a responsive D-pad.

It does.

Like you say, practice.

If you want to re-live your glory days of easy victories, set it to "Beginner Mode" and you may use the Right Stick to pull off all your fancy moves, but like people have said above you don't really need to.

Learn, get better and enjoy a fighting game that has more depth and replay value than many FPS and adventure games.

Az

TwitTheShred
01-13-2011, 03:55 PM
And if after all that decent advice your still haveing troubles with the stick and d-pad, grab yourself an arcade stick and you wont be sorry you did. It'll definatly give you a new edge.

Chuckb84
01-13-2011, 10:45 PM
I have only played this game a little bit but I am so terrible. I like the vampire girl but can not seem to win with her. Any tips for a newbie?

CoregBlue1
01-14-2011, 01:47 PM
Rachel is a very hard character to start with, especially in Continuum shift.

I canīt play her very good either but what really helps with every character is doing the trials. Try it at least till trial 5 even it takes a while, and its also possible to do them with a pad, donīt mind the fight stick for now. (if you play with pad) if you choose her as your main, have patience ^^

"No matter how much people bash pad players all combos and tournaments are achievable through practice and dedication, not accessory." - VesperArcade

Chuckb84
01-15-2011, 05:22 PM
Rachel is a very hard character to start with, especially in Continuum shift.

I canīt play her very good either but what really helps with every character is doing the trials. Try it at least till trial 5 even it takes a while, and its also possible to do them with a pad, donīt mind the fight stick for now. (if you play with pad) if you choose her as your main, have patience ^^

"No matter how much people bash pad players all combos and tournaments are achievable through practice and dedication, not accessory." - VesperArcade

Ya I noticed tager and jin seem to have it much easier but I am getting slightly better thanks to the trials. It seems like you have to be very good at playing the trap game with her. Wind blowing the frog into your opponent then landing on them with the chair seems to do big damage but other than that I dont see a lot of combos to use just traps.

CoregBlue1
01-15-2011, 08:01 PM
Ya I noticed tager and jin seem to have it much easier but I am getting slightly better thanks to the trials. It seems like you have to be very good at playing the trap game with her. Wind blowing the frog into your opponent then landing on them with the chair seems to do big damage but other than that I dont see a lot of combos to use just traps.

I am a ragna and tsubaki player and when i started in CT i swear i was the worst you have ever seen, now i have almost all trials with those 2 (Thats a huge step forward for me) and i can pull off some good combos with both. Rachel lost a bit of her power in continuum shift (imo) but another thing that i keep doing is going to the leaderboard and watch replays from the top ragna and tsubaki players.
It donīt have to be number one but not every combo is in trial mode ^^

TheMetalFonzy
01-16-2011, 01:19 AM
I am a ragna and tsubaki player and when i started in CT i swear i was the worst you have ever seen, now i have almost all trials with those 2 (Thats a huge step forward for me) and i can pull off some good combos with both. Rachel lost a bit of her power in continuum shift (imo) but another thing that i keep doing is going to the leaderboard and watch replays from the top ragna and tsubaki players.
It donīt have to be number one but not every combo is in trial mode ^^

Wow that is actually how I felt with CT as well lol.

Yeah the Challenge mode has made a huge difference for me as well. I pretty much gave up on getting better with Ragna because it seems like every other person uses Ragna, so that is why I have been getting better with Tsubaki. Do what Coreg said and just practice. Do stuff like the Challenge Modes and look at top players replay videos. Most of the videos on there will give you ideas in what to do in everyday matches.