PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of playing as the Taliban?

swaveman
08-15-2010, 10:33 AM
I have read some articles talking about it. I haven't heard of it being put into the actual campaign. I doubt EA is going to go all out with that, especially if it involves the Taliban killing a bunch of American soldiers.

Here is an article I found on it:

http://www.ps3attitude.com/new/2010/08/medal-honor-features-playable-taliban-characters/

And a vid:
YouTube- Taliban playable in Medal of Honor

Pearson
08-15-2010, 05:51 PM
I think that they'll be in the game, but I would think that EA may call them something other than the "Taliban" and if they do use the name directly, I'm not really sure how people will really react in calling the Opfor as such.

StolenPaper18
08-15-2010, 05:59 PM
Who cares if the Taliban is a playable faction? It is a f'n video game.

swaveman
08-15-2010, 07:01 PM
I agree. It's completely different having them as a faction online than by having a level like "No Russian" (except with the Taliban killing American soldiers.) It's no different than playing as the Japanese, Russians, Germans, etc in all other video games.

1morey
08-24-2010, 04:26 PM
It's no different than playing as the Japanese, Russians, Germans, etc in all other video games.

It is different. The Civil War, both World Wars, and Vietnam War are over. We are lucky we don't have to live with the atrocities that the victims and soldiers had to face in those wars. This game is different, because it is focusing on a recent ongoing war. I do plan on getting this game, but it would seem most appropriate to change the faction name. The Modern Warfare series at least steered clear of the Afghan War, and War in Iraq, by making a "generic" war.

Bebe Buell
09-09-2010, 10:37 AM
I don't mind playing as a taliban. I wouldn't mind playing as taliban in the campaign either, but that's probably not going to happen anyway. It's just a game, right?

Deadly Moves
09-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Couldnt give a crap to be honest!
i probably wouldnt even realise if i was randomly made to be in the Taliban faction in MP... And in WaW you can be a Nazi soldier. And i think the Nazi's did a lot more damage to the world than the Taliban have

WartyHogger
09-10-2010, 02:17 AM
Who cares if the Taliban is a playable faction? It is a f'n video game.

/agree.

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/military-bans-video-game-that-kills-us-troops/1410232

Only if the military got it. But who cares if the military bans it, lol.

Chaos MAN
09-10-2010, 02:36 PM
I don't care who's in the game as long as it's fun I will be picking it up.:)

xhunterrrr
09-10-2010, 03:14 PM
It honestly doesn't bother me. It is purely an online faction.

The level in MW2 where you rampage through the airport... THAT was ridiculous. Did it get the same kind of press as this?

guillermo316
09-10-2010, 04:00 PM
No point honestly.... I would like to play as something else maybe aliens, just for fun i mean its a game

Opiate42
09-10-2010, 04:09 PM
Meh, no issue to me.

Bubble Supreme
09-10-2010, 04:17 PM
I don't mind to be honest. I mean it's still an American/Western company making the game, and I'm sure they will try to be sensitive on this issue as it is a touchy subject for many people in the audience thst this game is targeting

Spanish Assault
09-10-2010, 11:58 PM
I don't agree with this...

It's a crap move by EA..they should show some respect.

I was looking forward to this game, but I wont be buying it now.

Takamura Bear
09-11-2010, 01:44 AM
I don't really see why people are making such a big fuss about this, as if EA are doing this to disrespect soldiers and family who have lost loved ones in the war. Nor are they glorifying the killing of US soldiers by letting you play as the bad guy, The Taliban.

They're giving you the chance to experience both sides of the war, but only in the MP aspect of the game.

Xerofox
09-11-2010, 02:00 AM
I don't agree with this...

It's a crap move by EA..they should show some respect.

I was looking forward to this game, but I wont be buying it now.

You are talking about the same respect companies showed gamers when you could play as US soldiers while killing Russian, German or Vietnamese Soldiers?

And show respect to whom? To the thousands of Americans that got killed in Afghanistan or the thousands of people that got killed by invading soldiers? It's a war and wars are suppose to be nasty, it's good that a company allows gamers to play as all sides in a war because everyonewho is fighting is a bad guy in a war.

Dz06lt
09-11-2010, 02:04 AM
its just a game, these are just pixes who the hell cares. People need to get over themselves

ONSLAUGHT o
09-11-2010, 02:12 AM
To me its just a game,but i can understand some people being sensitive to this issue.

Mojo I Uk
09-11-2010, 03:21 AM
I think it is a breath of fresh air tbh for the opposition to be something current, rather than the generic russian forces or germans to fight against.Im not sure why there is alot of fuss.Alot of my friends are in the forces so they will come home and do what they are doing over there at home,safe and warm.
And as Takamura Bear said its not like they will be glorifying terrorism or suchlike. I dont condone what the taliban do,but im not going to stop from playing a game im probably going to like,just because the characters are them. And if u look at most modern fps games,the opposition force looks rather like a generic taliban soldier. So whats the big deal if they are called it too

icearmy2000
09-11-2010, 05:15 AM
I'm military-Army Scout-
I think its about time someone had the balls to put this in a game.
(besides didn't one of the old battlefield games let you play as Iraqi military)
Anyway, its just a game in the end. Its not real.
Nobody cared about video games where you play as Nazis or games where you play as North Vietnamese, so what's the big deal here?

master_shake_350
09-11-2010, 04:52 PM
I have to say it would be quite nice to have it the other way round, but I bet this game will be banned out here.

Takamura Bear
09-12-2010, 01:18 AM
One other possible issue I can see out of this is if actual extremists/jihad supporters get their hands on this game and use it as a propaganda machine against the the west.

Nothing worse than being on one team and having a bunch of fanatics shout anti-western comments down the mic...Then again, you could just mute them lol.

I don't know what's going to pick up more headlines: a rise in the amount of 12 year-old kids screaming yo mum jokes down the mic in Black Ops, or real-life Taliban chanting "Death to America" everytime they get owned by a person not even half their age. :p

blee717
09-12-2010, 03:28 AM
I don't know what's going to pick up more headlines: a rise in the amount of 12 year-old kids screaming yo mum jokes down the mic in Black Ops, or real-life Taliban chanting "Death to America" everytime they get owned by a person not even half their age. :p

Haha. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Coadster1
09-12-2010, 03:38 AM
-OpFor
-Milita
-Germans
-Japenese
-Etc.

Just to name a few, all of those are playable factions in other games. All of them in which you are still killing the "good guys" for the most part, Americans and Brittish. I don't see why the big deal comes up now...

klokwerk
09-12-2010, 03:47 AM
I don't give two shakes.

EP100
09-17-2010, 01:12 AM
i don't see what the fuss is about if it were russians, japs or vietmnamease there wouldn't be uproar so i don't see what the fuss is

just politics messing with all the fun again BOOOOOOOOOOOOO

so yeah the taliban did some truely aweful things but so did the nazis and you don't see the same responce whenever theres a new WW2 shooter

GamingDude
09-17-2010, 01:26 AM
Oh Wow. When i heard that you can play as the Taliban and kill American Soldiers. I thought it was going to be a level like "No Russian" but now that i know it's just a faction you play in MP. I think they're just over reacting. Like the people who posted before me. It's just a Faction. nobody cared if you played as the Nazi's in WaW

M1Thompson
09-17-2010, 03:50 AM
i find its people just want to ruin games. no one ever complained that you play as soviets, nazis, and japs in waw and every ww2 game. if someone finds it so damn offensive then dont play the game

SubG3nius
09-17-2010, 08:15 AM
I really dont understand why people always make a big deal over these things, like many of you already said: It's just a freaking game.

Barad
09-17-2010, 09:19 PM
I really don't care at all, I just wanna have some fun and gain achievements thats why I'm here..

Insanemaniak
09-17-2010, 10:59 PM
I really don't get the issue here.

How in any way is it disrespectful to the troops and their families? It isn't like the soldiers that are named in the game are actually real soldiers, dead or alive.

I think if they want to ban this game they should try to ban all war-based games where you can play as the British, American and/or Russian military. To some country or another, playing as any of the three in a war we 'won' it's offensive to them.

The reason why they want to ban it is because we haven't 'won' yet. If we did, they'd be like "Definitely, it's supporting our troops with a job well done." or some shit, but because we haven't it's "OMG GET THE BAN HAMMER!"

It's funny that they want to ban this game but yet the British government said yes to joining the war, and they think that this game is a disgrace to our troops when it's their fault all the soldiers, and their families have suffered because of their choice to go to war with the Taliban.

newbsicle
09-18-2010, 01:13 PM
Imagine all the in-game battle cries. ALALALALALALALALAALLALALA!

There's so much I could say on this topic because I'm actually very well read on the topic. I won't make any enemies though with facts and the opinions I come to based off those facts. Instead I'll just say it's a video game.

Xenolith666
09-19-2010, 12:13 PM
If EA does do this.. they're trying to be 'edgy' like MW2 with that Airport level which has a disclaimer at the beginning of the game of whether or not you want to play it.

If they have suicide bombers and I can blow up infidel christian churches.. now we're fuckin talkin! :p jihad motherbitches!

KrizchyN
09-19-2010, 03:18 PM
It is different. The Civil War, both World Wars, and Vietnam War are over. We are lucky we don't have to live with the atrocities that the victims and soldiers had to face in those wars. This game is different, because it is focusing on a recent ongoing war. I do plan on getting this game, but it would seem most appropriate to change the faction name. The Modern Warfare series at least steered clear of the Afghan War, and War in Iraq, by making a "generic" war.

have you not been paying attention? we pulled the last regiment out of iraq. no more combat. big brother wouldnt lie to us.

xhunterrrr
09-19-2010, 04:20 PM
If EA does do this.. they're trying to be 'edgy' like MW2 with that Airport level which has a disclaimer at the beginning of the game of whether or not you want to play it.

If they have suicide bombers and I can blow up infidel christian churches.. now we're fuckin talkin! :p jihad motherbitches!

Please GTFO, now. It is people like you that give companies reasons not to sell games like this, you insensitive, ignorant ass.

have you not been paying attention? we pulled the last regiment out of iraq. no more combat. big brother wouldnt lie to us.

False. The last US combat troops will be pulled out by the end of 2011.

Xenolith666
09-20-2010, 07:19 AM
if you think I was being serious.. you're the ignorant ass

xhunterrrr
09-20-2010, 12:39 PM
if you think I was being serious.. you're the ignorant ass

Serious or not, it was disrespectful.

iiDaRReN316x
09-23-2010, 03:56 PM
As long as tehy dont smell

MACdanstaface
09-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember anybody complaining about WWII games where you play as a Nazi (Can't remember the name - Woflenstein?). Or anybody voicing the concerns of Vietnamese, Japanese, or any other enemy who faced-off with Americans in the last 70 years...

It's a video game - based on killing people at that. Let's not be so prude now...

Wrothgar
09-24-2010, 06:45 PM
I honestly don't give a crap who I play as. It's just a damn video game. If they have a problem with playing as the Taliban, then don't play the game.

leekstokie
10-08-2010, 05:39 PM
I honestly don't give a crap who I play as. It's just a damn video game. If they have a problem with playing as the Taliban, then don't play the game.

I agree its just a game

mosin360
10-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Chinese, russians, arabs.. whatever, its a video game.

Bazz NZ
10-10-2010, 11:40 AM
I have read some articles talking about it. I haven't heard of it being put into the actual campaign. I doubt EA is going to go all out with that, especially if it involves the Taliban killing a bunch of American soldiers.

Here is an article I found on it:

http://www.ps3attitude.com/new/2010/08/medal-honor-features-playable-taliban-characters/

And a vid:
YouTube- Taliban playable in Medal of Honor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjB4d6Uei2k)
Who cares its a game !~! It is not real so if people dont like it dont buy it I say.

RYARNI
10-10-2010, 11:48 AM
I compare this pathetic censorship with the newest Indiana Jones film, nobody cared anyway, and nobody with a brain would get offended. Both are based on factual events, covering a name up doesnt make a difference.

EMP
10-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Campaign ugh.... Can't wait for the multiplayer

Painkiller Q8
10-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Actually you are not playing as "Taliban", is just an American army undercover -__-

duhhh!!

nemesis3
10-10-2010, 09:35 PM
ahhahahahhaha ea chickened out and changed the name to opposition force