PDA

View Full Version : Guess Who is Creating contraversy over MoH?

Elit3 m0nkey
08-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Fox News is once again doing a story about an EA game. This time for playing as the Taliban. Granted this time it is a soldiers Mom (who lost her son in Iraq 6 years ago), who is not happy with the fact that you can play as the Taliban in Medal of Honor. And why I can sympathize with the lost of her son, she does not realize that MP has nothing to do with the story and the fact that it is only a face.

Anyways here is the video.

Video Game Lets You Be the Taliban

jgahagan
08-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Umm, I think the vid link is buggered?

Anyway, I can understand the argument but what makes MoH any different from MW? People didn't complain about the opening levels in Afghanistan in MW2 and we all knew who Op-For were supposed to be. It may be insensitive because it's an ongoing war and that will hit home for a lot of people but... Well I can't really think of a counter-point. Hmm, it's just a game?

EDIT: YouTube- Fox News on Medal of Honor

2nd EDIT: Also an article about the same subject if you're interested; http://www.destructoid.com/play-as-al-qaeda-i-can-t-support-the-new-medal-of-honor-179654.phtml

Deadly Moves
08-15-2010, 10:21 PM
Its a video game you dumb ass bitch!!!

Elit3 m0nkey
08-15-2010, 10:35 PM
2nd EDIT: Also an article about the same subject if you're interested; http://www.destructoid.com/play-as-al-qaeda-i-can-t-support-the-new-medal-of-honor-179654.phtml

For some reason I have more respect for his post than the mother's. Maybe because he is just stating his opinion and not trying to boycott the game. And I can see where the mother is coming from, but I think is the way she compare's it to WWII games. I don't know. Or it is because he understands both sides of the agruement (him being a game journalist and all).

Purge
08-15-2010, 10:41 PM
1. Everyone who fought in World War 2 aren't real people apparently.
2. A 'Gold Star Mother' is not a credible expert on video games.
3. She says it's not a game, but I beg to differ. It's a game.

I'm sorry that she lost her son, but Medal of Honor has nothing to do with it.

Pearson
08-16-2010, 04:13 AM
I can see where she's coming from, although it's a video game the conflict in Afghanistan and Iraq is ongoing and the Taliban is still fresh in every Americans minds, especially those who had loved ones killed by them. If it were a generic Middle Eastern faction, then I don't think that she'd be making a big deal out of the game. At the end of the day, it's still just a video game whether it has the Taliban in it or not.

jgahagan
08-16-2010, 11:19 AM
For some reason I have more respect for his post than the mother's. Maybe because he is just stating his opinion and not trying to boycott the game. And I can see where the mother is coming from, but I think is the way she compare's it to WWII games. I don't know. Or it is because he understands both sides of the agruement (him being a game journalist and all).

I think it's just because his opinion is most definitely well informed were as hers is a little... Well, she probably just Googled 'games are bad' ten minutes before going to air.

I don't think it will ever really matter what 'actual' subject is in a game, there's always going to be something that they hate and want banned. I think it's important to keep pushing the boundaries and just move on and I applaud EA for (excuse the pun) sticking to their guns.

Although I've got to admit I never liked playing as the Taliban in the Beta. Then I remember, it's a game durr!

crazy W01f 816
08-16-2010, 11:45 AM
*Sigh*...................It never ends does it.

http://www.deviantart.com/download/126110044/Motivational__Facepalm_by_WolvenMaster.jpg

swaveman
08-16-2010, 04:27 PM
I don't get why people act like this for VIDEO GAMES. Now, if there was a level where you play the Taliban and kill a bunch of U.S. soldiers, I can see the problem. But this is just online play. It's a faction. It means nothing. If it's not them, then who else? Any modern game is going to have an adversary along those lines whether it be Afghans, Iraqis, Iranians, etc. No way around that. This is not a real game. I feel sorry for the mother and every other mother who lost a son or a daughter during these conflicts. This is in no way disrespecting that. These people just look for excuses to cause problems. It's frustrating. There are more important things to look at than a playable character in a video game.

Blah 2k
08-16-2010, 04:32 PM
This is just coming up? Annd soo... You can play as the Nazis in CoD: WaW ... Wtf is wrong with people these days? IT'S A DAMN VIDEO GAME

Juzt Skillz
08-19-2010, 11:10 PM
I don't get why people act like this for VIDEO GAMES. Now, if there was a level where you play the Taliban and kill a bunch of U.S. soldiers, I can see the problem.

Honestly I can not see the problem. You probably played MW2s No Russian level. Yea you remember the one where you kill civilians. And what did it make you want to do, hunt that SOB down. If you watched GTTV for MoH the devs really wanted it to be story driven. To do that you need to have the hole picture not just one part. I am all for MoH doing both sides of the story.

KNIGHTOFSERA
08-19-2010, 11:20 PM
a name is a name

I mean just because cartoons put a lightning bolt instead of a swastika doesnt mean that they arent nazis...I still call them nazis

so just because MOH calls the terrorists taliban doesnt make it any worse than calling them opfor in COD

its all just semantics (hope im using that word properly)

and that lady is kinda rude in terms of what is said about WWII games, that no one is dying still because of that war so its okay.....im sure thats a lie, if they made MOH 5-10 years after the war ended she would still complain...so I believe shes a liar

institutions
08-19-2010, 11:33 PM
Go EA!
I hope they don't cave and change the name from Taliban to something stupid.

I hate people freaking out about real life events in video games. Stop being so god damn sensitive.

BROOKER 513
08-19-2010, 11:45 PM
War is a game, its called 'RISK'.
No but seriously WWI & WWII arent far removed from our history, its why we have REMEMBERANCE DAY and VETERANS DAY.
Her son died defending your rights to buy & play video games.
Either that or we would be speaking German right now.

FlameHaunter
08-20-2010, 01:33 AM
During the video she says that WW2 is far removed from history and that its not based on real people..I was unaware that in MoH the people u play as actually use names of real people. Does this lady even know what shes talking bout? If WW2 wasnt important why in school do they still teach bout it if its far removed from our history? This lady's just looking for attention. Im not saying im not sorry to hear for her lose but its just crazy what shes doing.

swaveman
08-20-2010, 04:31 PM
Honestly I can not see the problem. You probably played MW2s No Russian level. Yea you remember the one where you kill civilians. And what did it make you want to do, hunt that SOB down. If you watched GTTV for MoH the devs really wanted it to be story driven. To do that you need to have the hole picture not just one part. I am all for MoH doing both sides of the story.

My argument was simply that she can't complain about an online faction. Like someone said before me, it's semantics. It's just a name. I can see her argument if there was a level like No Russian. But I don't care either way because it's a video game. It's sad that people pick things like this to complain about. Our economy is shit, we have corrupt politicians and we are in two wars. Yet, they want to complain about a video game. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

i got skeels
08-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Republicans these days

SnowSHOWERS
08-20-2010, 07:42 PM
Go EA!
I hope they don't cave and change the name from Taliban to something stupid.

I hate people freaking out about real life events in video games. Stop being so god damn sensitive.

What song is that in your sig?

OT: I have done countless school papers on this subject and even had an interview with Cliffy B about violence in games and how people blame them for murders. It is complete BULLSHIT! It is no different than a movie in which a taliban kills a US soldier, for example The Hurt Locker, and that movie won academy awards!

OceanH
08-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Republicans these days

Or the conservatives in general too. FOX just lost it's credibility a long time ago.

jgahagan
08-22-2010, 10:33 PM
Uh-oh, who else wants to jump onto the bandwagon now?

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=261236

Honestly, you'd think these people would research it properly just a *little* bit.

klokwerk
08-22-2010, 10:45 PM
I have a feeling EA will just change the name of the enemies from Taliban to something else just to shut everyone up. If they were just called "Terrorists" no one would care.

Takamura Bear
08-23-2010, 02:52 AM
Fuck the media and everyone who advocates the banning of this game. It will not work. Typical sterotypes with the "the gaming industry is evil" bollocks all over again.

Do you see army people crying about this stuff? It's just a fucking game for crying out loud.

OceanH
08-23-2010, 04:04 AM
Uh-oh, who else wants to jump onto the bandwagon now?

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=261236

Honestly, you'd think these people would research it properly just a *little* bit.

Guess which political party is in power in the UK: Conservative Party. No wonder.

JGar77
08-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Lol guys...I'm a Christian gamer who watches Fox News regularly and am an unaffiliated voter. While I choose not to have a political affiliation, most of my friends call themselves conservatives or Republicans, and they are not crazy! Fox News for the most part does honestly, objectively, have real fair and balanced coverage and covers the big stories I want to see, in my personal opinion. I think a rational discussion with this lady would easily convince her that instead of harming the public, a video game like Medal of Honor would teach gamers to respect the soldiers in Afghanistan.

This same issue came up with the game Six Days in Fallujah. The difference between Medal of Honor and Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 or Battlefield Bad Company 2 is that Medal of Honor's campaign features events that have actually transpired, and will feature characters that are real and living today, rather than being a fictional near-future war with a familiar setting similar to but not exactly today's War on Terror. As I said above, I personally think its very important that these games be created. US soldiers always deserve some compassion and respect, even if one doesn't agree with the military choices of Presidents Bush and Obama. To get a glimpse of what the US Forces have had to go through, even from the comfort of one's own couch, is a great gift, and any sensible person would praise this game as patriotic and necessary for the American public, rather than insensitive and hurtful. Like swaveman mentioned, I think there are much bigger issues, like, vitally-important-issues-for-the-fate-of-the nation issues, than the release of a video game, which, by the way, is being seriously hated on by posters over at Battlefield's website (Battlefield 3 beta was announced to be included w/MoH LE).

That all being said, I do NOT want to play as the Taliban in multiplayer, and will feel very uncomfortable doing so. I hope the multiplayer achievements are kept to a minimum, because I'm going to play that as little as possible.

Jamoo 1
08-25-2010, 06:13 PM
So... Its ok to play as Russians who kill innocents in Modern Warfare 2, Opfor who kill Rangers in Call Of Duty 4, Criminals who kill Police Officers in Kane and Lynch... But Its NOT ok to kill American Troops as Taliban? Call Of Duty done it (C'mon we all know who Opfor REALLY are). You get what I'm saying... *Facepalm*

SnowSHOWERS
08-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Lol guys...I'm a Christian gamer who watches Fox News regularly and am an unaffiliated voter. While I choose not to have a political affiliation, most of my friends call themselves conservatives or Republicans, and they are not crazy! Fox News for the most part does honestly, objectively, have real fair and balanced coverage and covers the big stories I want to see, in my personal opinion. I think a rational discussion with this lady would easily convince her that instead of harming the public, a video game like Medal of Honor would teach gamers to respect the soldiers in Afghanistan.

This same issue came up with the game Six Days in Fallujah. The difference between Medal of Honor and Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 or Battlefield Bad Company 2 is that Medal of Honor's campaign features events that have actually transpired, and will feature characters that are real and living today, rather than being a fictional near-future war with a familiar setting similar to but not exactly today's War on Terror. As I said above, I personally think its very important that these games be created. US soldiers always deserve some compassion and respect, even if one doesn't agree with the military choices of Presidents Bush and Obama. To get a glimpse of what the US Forces have had to go through, even from the comfort of one's own couch, is a great gift, and any sensible person would praise this game as patriotic and necessary for the American public, rather than insensitive and hurtful. Like swaveman mentioned, I think there are much bigger issues, like, vitally-important-issues-for-the-fate-of-the nation issues, than the release of a video game, which, by the way, is being seriously hated on by posters over at Battlefield's website (Battlefield 3 beta was announced to be included w/MoH LE).

That all being said, I do NOT want to play as the Taliban in multiplayer, and will feel very uncomfortable doing so. I hope the multiplayer achievements are kept to a minimum, because I'm going to play that as little as possible.

Basically you are exactly what we are complaining about. People like you who base their facts on meaningless bush that has been debated countless times. How is it that movies can base things on true events but not get as much critisim as games. Yes i know you interact with games but it doesn't mean i'm actually going to go out and act on this. If i play as taliban IN A GAME it doesn't mean i'm actually killing a US soldier. And being conservative i will be the first to admit that no FOX news is Super fucking bias. Yes i watch it but i also get my news from MSNBC and CNN plus various newspapers because i know that just watching FOX wouldn't give me a full grasp of what is going on because of their bias...

JGar77
08-26-2010, 11:33 PM
Basically you are exactly what we are complaining about. People like you who base their facts on meaningless bush that has been debated countless times. How is it that movies can base things on true events but not get as much critisim as games. Yes i know you interact with games but it doesn't mean i'm actually going to go out and act on this. If i play as taliban IN A GAME it doesn't mean i'm actually killing a US soldier. And being conservative i will be the first to admit that no FOX news is Super fucking bias. Yes i watch it but i also get my news from MSNBC and CNN plus various newspapers because i know that just watching FOX wouldn't give me a full grasp of what is going on because of their bias...
Yes, I get my news from other sources as well. But c'mon...Shepherd Smith, Julie Banderas...they really don't seem biased to me. Of course, all of Fox's talk show hosts are.

But did you read anything I wrote? I DON'T want the game banned, I fully support it, in fact I think while it may not be the most entertaining, best produced or most popular game of the year (Halo Reach, Bad Company 2, and Alan Wake come to mind instead), I do think its one of the most important. Games like this NEED to be created. The American public must experience the truth of our current events. Santayana stated that "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it"; in addition, I believe that those who do not observe the present are doomed to ignorance. Video games can now be explored successfully as a new medium through which to do so. As for the Taliban in the game, I think you may have misunderstood me. I DO NOT want them removed from the game. I don't want their faction name changed to something more generic. This game is "real" and it needs to be kept that way. I just personally don't want to play as them in online multiplayer, because while the campaign may be a true, realistic experience in the Afghan War, multiplayer is just mindless, meaningless killing for points, acheivements and fun. It is in no way related to the praise I've given the game above. There is no context, there is no story. You are taking the role of a United States soldier killing Taliban terrorists, or Taliban terrorists killing US soldiers. I know, trust me I know, that video games do not cause real world violence. Its just a little disconcerting that, no matter how fake, no matter how pixelized, a player is pretending to be a terrorist killing Americans for no specific reason whatsoever. Why would you even want to pretend to be someone like that? You are not experiencing "their side of the story;" you are just killing Americans for no reason, and the reverse.

When you view it that way, it hopefully becomes even more plain why that mother was against this game. So much emphasis is placed on online multiplayer nowadays that I can only imagine that the woman was imagining a bunch of immature teenagers sitting around playing the online to try and get achievements, laughing as they die, and feeling as if each pixelized US soldier represents her son who died, and has now been immortalized in a disrespectful fashion as a game, forever destined to be killed by terrorists continually "for fun." She probably hasn't even considered the campaign. When EA made Medal of Honor multiplayer, they were not thinking of the real, honorable men and women who have actually died. They were probably thinking that they'd try another hand at taking down MW2, and the only way to do that is with online gaming. Meanwhile, MoH's core production studio apparently has stuck to their tradition of honoring soldiers through a respectful campaign experience.

So, as it stands I don't want to pretend to a member of the Taliban, a real, active terrorist group that wants me dead, in an online multiplayer that has no learning value. However, at the end of the day, I submit to your argument. Campaign's based on real people and events, online's not; since its ultimately not real, I can guarantee that I will be playing online for one reason or another...despite my lengthy argument defending my personal opinion that I do not expect anyone to agree with. Just gimme a little time, lemme actually own the game, get a glance at the achievements...and Taliban vs Americans will simply become cops vs robbers, at least for the purpose of this game. ;)

MidwestPride
08-27-2010, 09:19 AM
I am pretty sure EA collaberated with the U.S. Military on this game's story and multiplayer but as I like to say DEAL WITH IT!

Opiate42
09-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Never underestimate the power of complete idiots. Especially since there are so many and that they love to be offended at well...just about everything that's not apple pie. Pretty sad how anger sets in before any thought takes place.

Anyhoo, I may be pre-ordering this just for the hell of it now.

Now GS stores on bases aren't allowed to carry the game, pretty ironic considering the input real soldiers have put into it.
LINK (http://kotaku.com/5628741/gamestop-pulls-video-game-from-military-stores-over-taliban-inclusion)

Sadly I don't think pompous loudmouths will ever learn or care to learn how to "deal with it"....sigh.

killajoy714
09-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Of course. Who cares if you can play as a Taliban??? Uh oh, killing virtual soldiers will corrupt your children. Why is this world becoming super pussified???

Sirboscos
09-05-2010, 03:44 AM
"in pro wrestling nobody dies"
Haha, nobody dies in a video game either.

I wanna hit people like this. You know, really, really, REALLY hard!

Takamura Bear
09-05-2010, 11:04 PM
Anyhoo, I may be pre-ordering this just for the hell of it now..

Yep, same here. The mega controversy has made this one of the most wanted games on the planet.

Controversy for this game = higher demmand and more sales, as sad as it sounds.

Also, it seems CNN are supporting this game lol.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TECH/gaming.gadgets/08/24/must.have.fall.games/index.html?iref=allsearch

xEatableCrayonx
09-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Okay no more games that have war or real events maybe we all can play [Turn the Lights out and guess whos in my mouth] Im sorry that man died but he died so we could play shit like this its called FREEDOM. Whats next no more war movies because your son died in that war come on its okay to be sad but take it out on OBAMA not the game playing community

shocellist
09-07-2010, 05:13 AM
Someone is going to be against being able to play as/againt any group.
MoH is bad because we play as the Taliban.
MW, MW2, BFBC and BFBC2 are bad because we portray Russians as ruthless murderers.
MW2 slaughters innocent civilians, once again portraying Russians as murderers. Unless I'm mistaken you can only play as the Taliban online? If that's the case... what about the Ranger and SAS killing OpFor and Militia?

Felix Pie
10-01-2010, 12:52 AM
Quit attacking the lady!! She has a right to say what she want. She is probably in a different state of mind. I blame Fox News, :uzi:CNN, and every other media BS maker but more importantly ALL of YOU(halfway kidding). Stop talking about it, stop thinking about it, stop watching "news' about it. Eventually these people will go away, hopefully. And "its just a videogame" isn't a good argument for anything. To me it doesn't matter if its a movie, game, play, or whatever. People have the right to express their opinions, art, or whatever they please. Its freedom of press or freedom of speech. I guess what im trying to say is that its up to you personally to decide whats right, wrong, or in between. You can't go around banning everything.

ademlakey
10-06-2010, 07:10 PM
I dont see what the problem is. Why is it okay that you can play as an american or british soldier and you can go around killing people from the middle east but you cant play as a soldier from afghanistan.

MW2 lets you play as african soldier im muliplayer, why was no one comlaining about that ?

Hero Of Acre
10-06-2010, 08:18 PM
As she said, yes WWII isn't as recent as this, but in Day of Defeat and countless other games you play as the germans in multiplayer. Now...lets think about this for a moment, the germans or Nazi's (which ever you please) killed 8+ million people. That's burning, shooting, gas chamber, lack of food, etc. Hell they did all sorts of twisted experiments on people, for example Josef Mengele injected dye into people's eyes to see if there eyes would change color. And it's alright if we play as them to that lady?

And please don't take this as me trying to diminish my countries troops that have died and are serving, but the Taliban has killed a thousand of our men? Yes it's more recent, but which is worse in your eyes?

And that's not even mentioning playing as the Soviets in some WWII games; Stalin had more people killed than the Germans did.

And her son died in Iraq, the Taliban was in Afganistan. I respect her son for his sacrifice, but she hasn't done a goddamn thing to deserve that same respect. In fact it's a little ironic that he died fighting for freedom (of speech included) and she's trying to stiffle it using his death.