PDA

View Full Version : No Online Multiplayer for Plants vs Zombies?

Gabriel BR LIVE
08-18-2010, 09:21 PM
Apparently, the interactive leaderboard will be the only LIVE feature of the game..

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4992/47568109.jpg

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/p/plantsvszombies/

Edge x360a
09-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Well that sure darn sucks. Oh well at least one good thing from it is that the multiplayer achievements only come for the local version! XD

Gun-Nut
09-06-2010, 02:00 AM
Ouch that sucks! :( was going to try talk a friend into the game for some co-op but guess I'll just have to play it with family every now and then.

Murgatroyd7
09-06-2010, 07:51 AM
Works for me. I don't normally play online and the biggest PvZ fan I know of is my wife, so I'm perfectly content. Heh.

MopFlop
09-07-2010, 07:56 AM
thats upsetting. was looking forward to playing this online. However if this is true, it would make all the vs achievements alot easier

xBiG ReDx
09-07-2010, 09:03 PM
im very upset. i was going to buy it just for the multiplayer but now i know i wont play it for as long. but i will still buy it

Utako
09-08-2010, 03:53 PM
that's why it is so cheap only 1200 MSP !

emul8ter25
09-08-2010, 07:25 PM
wow, i bought the game blindly thinking it had online multiplayer. i could have sworn i read somewhere that it would have it....

i was just trying to connect to a live game and couldnt see how so i came to the forums... guess i got my answer. lol

im so annoyed

i cant believe they keep doing this shit.... first its missing from tomb raider, but coming. then scott pilgrim. now this.... blah

OG T UNIT
09-08-2010, 07:31 PM
It is Plants vs Zombies. Why would there be online multiplayer.

emul8ter25
09-08-2010, 07:32 PM
It is Plants vs Zombies. Why would there be online multiplayer.

to make an awesome game even more awesome?

mcnichoj
09-08-2010, 09:53 PM
that's why it is so cheap only 1200 MSP !Cheap? I bought it on PC for six dollars and it normally costs ten.
Adding in local multiplayer modes is a cop-out and so not worth a few extra bucks.

It is Plants vs Zombies. Why would there be online multiplayer.Well you see son, when you add multiplayer game modes and hype up said game modes and in this day and age where game sales are drove by how much replayability they have, these multiplayer modes are made to be played online.

StayonTarget
09-08-2010, 10:52 PM
that's why it is so cheap only 1200 MSP !

That's the price of all arcade games...

SK L4xX
09-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Cheap? I bought it on PC for six dollars and it normally costs ten.
Adding in local multiplayer modes is a cop-out and so not worth a few extra bucks.

That's the price of all arcade games...

wow...obviously that was ironic...american?

Azuto
09-09-2010, 12:12 AM
Kinda strange no online multiplayer, I thought for sure it would have it when I saw this achievement

Versus vs Versus 15G
Go on a 5 game winning streak in VS. mode

Whats the point of this being an "achievement" if its no online versus and just local? Everyone is just going to boost it than so whats the point of it being there even?

Murgatroyd7
09-09-2010, 04:58 AM
What's the point? Um, so you can play it with other people. Games aren't made with achievements in mind, nor should they be. My wife and I both love PvZ and we will get many, many hours out of this game.

Mr.JPX910
09-09-2010, 06:05 AM
Murg, it seems you miss the entire object of achievements, which is fine, but the fact is, achievements should be earned, or at least take a lil bit of effort. Even if you're boosting, there should still be some degree of difficulty or challenge tied to it originally, and by making a local vs. mode achievement, well that kinda just mutes the whole idea. But I guess if take pride out of beating your wife, 5 times in a row that is, then by all means enjoy yourself.

Its clearly misleading to the rest of population that understand how these things work. In general it saddens me when i see a game that clearly benefits from online co op and just bypasses it. I know, i know, harder to develop blah blah blah, just saying, co op is a beautiful thing.

Murgatroyd7
09-09-2010, 08:34 AM
I understand the point of achievements and I agree they should be challenging, although most aren't. But my point is that it shouldn't matter if the achievements are easy or not; in fact, let's pretend for a moment that achievements don't exist. What should be important is whether or not the game is enjoyable. And in the case of PvZ, it is immensely enjoyable and many would agree that it doesn't need multiplayer of any sort to be fun. The PC version had no multiplayer whatsoever, but it sucked up many hours of my life. It's the kind of game that you want to play again as soon as you beat it.

I know other people feel differently, but I personally don't need to play a game with faceless strangers in other cities in order to enjoy myself. Maybe I'm just getting old, but nothing beats playing a game on your couch with some friends. Unfortunately, with the way people rely on technology these days, it seems like nobody makes friends in real life anymore.

And believe me, I agree that having the option to play online is definitely a plus; I just don't think it should be something that makes or breaks a game.

As for this whole thing being misleading...I don't see how that's the case. PopCap never promised online multiplayer. I just took a look at all of the PvZ press releases and they never once mention anything about online gameplay. In this day and age, you should never assume something is implied. If it doesn't say "online", it probably isn't...especially considering that when an online mode is included, companies tend to place a significant focus on highlighting that in game descriptions.

Sgt Scyther
09-09-2010, 10:08 PM
What's with all these arcade games omitting online multiplayer? Scott Pilgrim, Shank, and now Plants vs. Zombies. Don't get me wrong, I love playing games locally with my friends, but that isn't always possible.

MopFlop
09-09-2010, 10:52 PM
What's with all these arcade games omitting online multiplayer? Scott Pilgrim, Shank, and now Plants vs. Zombies. Don't get me wrong, I love playing games locally with my friends, but that isn't always possible.
I prefer this as there are so many online games these days thats its fun to have a good local CO-OP. Bring back bots for multiplayer :D

NonsenseGamer
09-10-2010, 02:05 AM
PopCap actually explained WHY they didn't put any Online MP into the game:

http://nonsensegamer.com/reason-online-play-plants-zombies-360/

if you're interested.

emul8ter25
09-10-2010, 08:16 AM
PopCap actually explained WHY they didn't put any Online MP into the game:

http://nonsensegamer.com/reason-online-play-plants-zombies-360/

if you're interested.

wow... what an utter load of rubbish.

“At the beginning, middle and end of the day, PopCap makes decisions with regards to our games that we believe make them the most fun possible for players. When we set out to create the XBLA version of Plants Vs. Zombies, designing a great multiplayer experience was at the top of the list – second only to getting the controls right on the Xbox 360 gamepad. Our first impulse was to create a great connected multiplayer game but when we set out to do that with the ‘Versus’ game, we quickly discovered a hitch. In the connected version, the multiplayer fun is largely dependent on other players – it was too easy for someone to drop out of the game ruining the experience for the other player. We at PopCap are also console gamers, and we know how much it hurts to spend 5-7 minutes building your strategy, only to have someone drop out of the game because they were losing."

so rather than give us multiplayer and save us from a little frustration of drop-outs, they thought it was better to just not give us the option. thank you for protecting us!!!

In Co-op Survival game there is so much real-time collaboration required to survive for very long in those modes, that it just couldn’t be done satisfactorily over live. For instance, if someone starts grabbing up all the sun so that you can’t plant anything, you need to be able to express your disdain with some good old fashioned couch justice.”

right..... because nobody has voice chat

MopFlop
09-10-2010, 08:38 AM
wow... what an utter load of rubbish.

“At the beginning, middle and end of the day, PopCap makes decisions with regards to our games that we believe make them the most fun possible for players. When we set out to create the XBLA version of Plants Vs. Zombies, designing a great multiplayer experience was at the top of the list – second only to getting the controls right on the Xbox 360 gamepad. Our first impulse was to create a great connected multiplayer game but when we set out to do that with the ‘Versus’ game, we quickly discovered a hitch. In the connected version, the multiplayer fun is largely dependent on other players – it was too easy for someone to drop out of the game ruining the experience for the other player. We at PopCap are also console gamers, and we know how much it hurts to spend 5-7 minutes building your strategy, only to have someone drop out of the game because they were losing."

so rather than give us multiplayer and save us from a little frustration of drop-outs, they thought it was better to just not give us the option. thank you for protecting us!!!

In Co-op Survival game there is so much real-time collaboration required to survive for very long in those modes, that it just couldn’t be done satisfactorily over live. For instance, if someone starts grabbing up all the sun so that you can’t plant anything, you need to be able to express your disdain with some good old fashioned couch justice.”

right..... because nobody has voice chat
tbh you can see where they are coming from. i mean think about the amount of people who leave games of cod/gears/halo etc just because they are on the losing team. If someone did that to me i would be well pissed annoyed however would still be nice to be given the choice of playin online so i can play with my friends who have this game as they wont dick around

emul8ter25
09-10-2010, 09:06 AM
tbh you can see where they are coming from. i mean think about the amount of people who leave games of cod/gears/halo etc just because they are on the losing team. If someone did that to me i would be well pissed annoyed however would still be nice to be given the choice of playin online so i can play with my friends who have this game as they wont dick around

exactly! i am much more likely to play with my friends online than have one over for some gaming these days. yes, the excuse giving makes sense in a way but just reeks of laziness imo.

AwoL DudE
09-10-2010, 05:31 PM
it would be nice to have a co-op endless survival leader board.....
playing with online friends not just local...
would be a real blast

Chazzi27
09-15-2010, 07:44 AM
At least PopCap has reasons behind not having online multiplayer...what are Shank's and Scott Pilgrim's excuses?

I do agree with their reasons slightly...quitting ruins the experience of a game (see Madden 11) more than one would think...trying to preserve the experience is one of the things that PopCap really has going for them. As for the Co-Op one...I unno, they could have incorporated some cool online couch-punch system...but then again it'd probably be abused. Again, fairly understandable, who's going to have fun playing co-op if they can't plant anything?

Snuggle Bubbler
09-20-2010, 12:38 AM
At least PopCap has reasons behind not having online multiplayer...what are Shank's and Scott Pilgrim's excuses?

I do agree with their reasons slightly...quitting ruins the experience of a game (see Madden 11) more than one would think...trying to preserve the experience is one of the things that PopCap really has going for them. As for the Co-Op one...I unno, they could have incorporated some cool online couch-punch system...but then again it'd probably be abused. Again, fairly understandable, who's going to have fun playing co-op if they can't plant anything? Scott Pilgrim Had time constraints and had to cut it to meet release. as for Shank, well they've got nothing (Plus SPvTW is better anyway). I just realised a few minutes ago this didn't have online even though I had it for awhile:(

GordoJones88
09-20-2010, 04:33 AM
At least PopCap has reasons behind not having online multiplayer...what are Shank's?

Shank was designed from the very beginning to be a single player cinematic brawler.
After the game was finished there was a huge cry of disappointment that there was no co-op.
They had some time before their release date and managed to make a custom two player co-op prologue experience.
The game never had any kind of online code and would have pushed the game back a year.
Regardless, it was designed from the very beginning to be a single player cinematic brawler.