PDA

View Full Version : Do you think there will be Alan Wake 2?

malicemike2121
08-19-2010, 12:21 AM
I haven't finished the first one yet but its a great game.From what ive heard it hasnt sold well since RDR came out on the same day.They should have released Alan Wake in mid June.It would have sold a lot better.Im praying it sells a lot more so we get a sequel.What do you guys think?

Starstrukk X360A
08-19-2010, 01:16 AM
I wouldn't mind a sequel, although it seems the main focus is on DLC at the moment, so I wouldn't expect one any time soon.

xLUNCHTREYx
08-19-2010, 01:37 AM
Remedy themselves have said they wanted to do a sequel to Alan Wake, if I remember correctly they said they wernt upset with the sale figures, considering Red Dead was a multiplatform release and came out of the same day.

Arkalivan
08-19-2010, 04:15 AM
If they do release a sequel, and I hope so, I'm hoping they stick with the engine they're using now. The sheer amount of delays for the first game was insanity, considering it was originally going to be released around the time of the 360's debut.

With the shortness of The Signal, who knows if the following dlc will even answer anything, or bring a true ending.

tehapoc
08-19-2010, 05:26 AM
Well, without knowing that they already said that they were going to use the Alan Wake DLCs to build towards an Alan Wake sequel...

Yeah, they'd probably make a sequel. The game sold really well and got good reviews. Naturally they'd make a sequel to it.

malicemike2121
08-19-2010, 04:42 PM
I heard Alan Wake has only sold around 700k copies or so so it hasnt sold well.Im telling you whoever had the idea to release it on the same day as RDR probably got fired.They should have released it in June and it would have sold double of what they have now.Im sure there will be a sequel though.

Miomaar
08-20-2010, 11:27 AM
Wonder how the sequel will play out ? Maybe they're on a ship and all goes dark and he has to fight the captain and crew and eventually takes control of the ship after he throws everyone over board

darkhelmet8
08-20-2010, 12:57 PM
I think their will be a sequel. They knew they were releasing it the same day asRDR. So they had to account for a rockstar game. Besides, we don't get that many single player games anymore. Which is a shame.

Skwishy FTW
08-24-2010, 08:03 PM
I didn't like cliffhanger ending.... But I don't want a sequel. They should put the real ending in dlc in my opinion.... but that's just me.

Dynamite Andy
08-25-2010, 09:47 PM
This was quoted from a new article from TrueAchievements

Speaking exclusively to Eurogamer, (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-09-remedy-has-great-ideas-for-alan-wake-2) head of franchise development at Remedy, Oskari Häkkine, discussed the potential for a sequel to Alan Wake in the future.

Despite Remedy owning the intellectual copyright to the Alan Wake series, Oskari stated that any sequel would be a Microsoft exclusive:

"Microsoft put a lot of beef behind the title for it to be an exclusive for the 360. They feel it's an important title for their portfolio. It fits into their portfolio among other games like Gears of War, Halo and Forza.

They think of their first-party games as a package and a portfolio for the 360. My understanding is we have a great fit in that portfolio as well."
Despite the enthusiasm at Remedy to work on a sequel, and no doubt the fact that Microsoft would love to have them do so, neither party has yet spoke to the other about this possibility:

"[Remedy] haven't had a chance to get out to Redmond, Microsoft Game Studios, and discuss anything further of how we move on. But I don't see any reason why we wouldn't continue with Microsoft with a full-blown sequel for Alan Wake. We definitely want to do it. We have great ideas for it. There's certainly a want, and that want is I believe from both sides. Right now I can't confirm anything."
Oskari was very forthcoming about the simple reason as to why no talks had yet taken place between the parties. He spoke of how the fifty strong team behind Alan Wake were still monitoring the game he considered to be still within it's "launch phase" and to need the teams attention. In addition to that, he added that the team was "hard at work on DLC" for the title. This is likely to be The Writer DLC which is planned for release in the Autumn of this year.

We're working full steam ahead here. We've still got plenty to do.

After reading this it looks like its a possibility as long as it stays to a Microsoft only franchise and gives off a high quality product like Gears, Halo, Forza.

Fuzzybananna
08-26-2010, 12:54 AM
Hopefully their will be a sequel, hopefully the writer dlc will tell us a little more though about the ending.:uzi:

darquesyde
08-26-2010, 01:07 AM
There better be a Wake 2, I need a resoulution not interpretations...Mr. Scratchy my ass. It was worth the wait though.

Teppelin
08-26-2010, 03:21 AM
I certainly enjoyed Alan Wake, but I won't need a 2nd one if the Writer DLC wraps things up. I doubt it will though, so yeah, Wake 2. =]

Hurricanes550
08-27-2010, 02:06 AM
They definitely left the game's story open for another game to be released and continue the story. I heard a rumor that the next Alan Wake game would be a lot longer than the first one. could anyone confirm that? I think it was in a game informer interview with Remedy.

Miss Allen86
08-27-2010, 08:29 AM
Oooooo I certainly hope they make a sequel! I think the story for this game was really well written. Any game that plays like old school Resident Evil and Silent Hill is A+ in my survival horror book. If they decide not to do a sequel then we shall go down to Remedy's main offices and force them to make one. >: )

answer0629
08-30-2010, 11:40 AM
I think that it will be not the best way if Remedy do Alan Wake 2, because it will kill this game. But if they look at profits this will be very good for them cause they will earn more money. The best way will be if they do game like Alan Wake but about someone else in somewhere else about something else ;) but also thriller ;)

rman0099
08-30-2010, 03:49 PM
From what I interpreted from previous articles and interviews read on kotaku and various sites, the DLC will bring things around and set the story up for a sequel. Remedy believes that the sequel should take around 12-18 months to develop as opposed to YEARS that it took for the first one; since they already have a base engine in place, dynamics, basic models, environment, etc. They said the dev time for AW2 should be similar to that from Hitman to Hitman 2.

Tufty
08-30-2010, 05:07 PM
I think that they should finish off the game with DLC and then leave it. Trying to make a sequel with such a good storyline will be very hard.

I really hope they don't leave one of the DLCs at a cliff hanger and make a second game that sucks, making it painful to play and ruining the first game for me.

o0ArA0o
08-31-2010, 08:05 PM
Hope they close the chapter Alan Wake with the last DLC and

a) Work on a reanimation of Max Payne or
b) create a new character like Alan Wake with a new ideas and a new story

Alan Wake 2 would suck I think ...

TheEighthSage
09-06-2010, 09:45 AM
I dunno, I kind of hope that there will be a sequel. But at the same time, I hope it doesn't try too hard to incorporate everything from the first game. Like...maybe have it still be about Alan, but not necessarily in Bright Falls. Or y'know, the flip side of that. Or heck, even a prequel that shows us some more about Thomas Zane. In short, there's a great deal of story left to tell and I don't think a simple DLC or even a set of DLCs would be enough to cover it. As long as it's good narrative still, more please :D

RockWhore
09-07-2010, 10:15 AM
Considering how much time they invested creating this engine and the toolsets to go along with it I would expect they would continue to develop more content, whether it is more DLC or a full sequel.

Wise move by Remedy really, I doubt this would be half the game it is now if they just went and licensed the Unreal Engine or something similar.

StillTIPPIN187
09-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Alan Wake 2 FTW.

Im sure there will be one =]

TsarBlandi
09-08-2010, 05:39 PM
id prefer it if they didnt too be fair as sequels tend to ruin series (not all the time though i will admit before everyone jumps in "omfg noob halo 2 was 1337")

if anything i would prefer to have another 5 hours in DLC but if they had to make a sequel then theyd better make sure they dont change a thing... its one of those games where the chemistry is right and we dont want it ruined by a developer just trying to outdo themselves by adding crap... im looking at you MW2

cathomps
09-08-2010, 10:35 PM
i'm all for a sequel, i loved the story and want more! i'm still playing through the DLC the signal though

funfive2002
09-13-2010, 04:04 PM
I would be happy to see a sequel but the chance is pretty lame.

azzab32
10-03-2010, 01:15 PM
i think there will be one tbf

bbrandy
10-03-2010, 06:55 PM
i loved the game. a 2nd one would be awesome

Baihu1983
10-05-2010, 10:20 AM
Hope so. Would not be suprised if its more open world ish [would work in the day time parts] and has multiplayer of some sort.

bbrandy
10-05-2010, 12:09 PM
multi a wake would be awesome

ozgoon56
10-06-2010, 02:22 AM
multi a wake would be awesome

Would it? I can't see a co-op where one player holds the torch while the other shoots the gun attracting too many of the multi-player community away from whatever version of Halo they happen to be playing for very long. ;)

But then I'm with Zero Punctuation on the issue of MP, I want to see a strong single player game and MP shouldn't detract from that. Alan Wake provides a really good single player experience amongst a host of new releases where the SP campaign apparently amounts to a few short hours. So I really want to see AW2 because the first one was a lot of fun, but please keep the emphasis on single player and a good story.

bbrandy
10-06-2010, 12:02 PM
long as there is an AW2, I'll be happy. One of the best story's ive played on a game

AlexSnake
10-07-2010, 06:11 PM
This game is great and think yes a sequel is fantastic:woop:

bbrandy
10-07-2010, 06:59 PM
yeah. anyone know how i can get on the leader boards here??? i can't figure it out!

kall5ter
10-10-2010, 02:11 PM
i hope so, the games amazing and i'd for sure buy it as soon as it comes out!

nejvetsiborec
10-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Awesome entertaining game with awesome story and great gameplay, really gonna buy AW2 in that week it comes out.

bbrandy
10-11-2010, 05:21 AM
yeah me too. can't wait for add on nxt week

soundlessb00m
10-12-2010, 11:27 AM
There was an amazing idea in one of the other threads about making a prequel - Thomas Zane.

Chris Knowles
10-12-2010, 11:07 PM
I didn't like cliffhanger ending.... But I don't want a sequel. They should put the real ending in dlc in my opinion.... but that's just me.

I couldn't agree more, Alan should go through this bs dlc and blah blah happy ending, where's max payne 3? who's with me

Jukebox
10-14-2010, 03:37 PM
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

ALERT

At the end of the second DLC its pretty clear that atleast remedy wants to do a sequel because in the writer wake starts to write a new book.

btw Max Payne 3 can't be as good as payne's 1 and 2 coz its not made by remedy.

Tom Pladgett
10-14-2010, 03:53 PM
They knew they were releasing it the same day asRDR. So they had to account for a rockstar game.

As Remedy have stated many times, AWs release date was already locked before RDR announced theirs. Some guys just can't catch a break.

It's really up to Microsoft on this one. From what I've understood, the sales figures weren't awful, but were clearly less than hoped.

If they do a sequel, I do believe it would be in the pipe for a late 2011 or 2012 release. The technology base is there, and there are probably no major design changes in sight, like with the original game's dropping the open world sandbox idea.

mr wong tong
10-14-2010, 07:38 PM
of course theres going to be a sequel, no doubt. the question is when? with all this filler dlc who knows?

Minnow
10-14-2010, 08:56 PM
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

ALERT

At the end of the second DLC its pretty clear that atleast remedy wants to do a sequel because in the writer wake starts to write a new book.

Also, after the credits roll, it says something about Alan Wake's journey continuing. Made me think sequel for sure. Can't remember the exact wording they used, but it made me think sequel rather than more dlc.

Jukebox
10-15-2010, 08:34 AM
Also, after the credits roll, it says something about Alan Wake's journey continuing. Made me think sequel for sure. Can't remember the exact wording they used, but it made me think sequel rather than more dlc.

Yeah well it is said that the writer was last dlc.. and after the credits it says something like "Alan Wakes journey through the night will continue"

verybadloser
10-15-2010, 05:24 PM
yeah. anyone know how i can get on the leader boards here??? i can't figure it out!

As far as i'm aware, you can't

Lazthelost
10-15-2010, 07:45 PM
Well to this day Alan Wake has sold 744,142 copies. Also remember that those don't include any money they make off of The Signal and/or The Writer DLC. And even more exciting now is the console bundle coming with Alan Wake download right in the box, and we all know Microsoft certainly tracks all of those numbers as well.

So basically, yes, Alan Wake will have a sequel. :woop:

Jukebox
10-15-2010, 09:12 PM
Well to this day Alan Wake has sold 744,142 copies. Also remember that those don't include any money they make off of The Signal and/or The Writer DLC. And even more exciting now is the console bundle coming with Alan Wake download right in the box, and we all know Microsoft certainly tracks all of those numbers as well.

So basically, yes, Alan Wake will have a sequel. :woop:

Can you please tell me where did you get those sell numbers?

bwfcskillsinhd
10-16-2010, 09:54 PM
i think there will be?

asdfen
10-17-2010, 09:29 AM
if there will be I hope they improve the gameplay. that is currently lacking the most imo

StoLavorando
10-19-2010, 12:22 AM
So much potential for this to be a series that will last for microsoft.
Best Remedy game since Max Payne 1.

Thomas Zane - (Prequel)

Alan Wake: Season Two, three, four.... - (Sequels)

and more DLC than you can shake a hard drive at!

Bring on more character perspective-centric, creative, thrilling, narrative games!

About to play the signal and writer dlc.

Prelude2disastr
10-19-2010, 12:28 AM
Completely agree, I have plenty of time for decent MP (RDR type multiplayer) but when I'm forced to try and level up when I'm battling people who have played for days, weeks or sometimes months (I like to completely destroy a SP campaign before I start with MP) it's nigh on impossible to get anywhere... Especially when I'm mediocre, at best, when it comes to gaming.

The SP of Alan Wake was one of the few things I thought has been worth the wait for. I loved every aspect of the game and thought the storytelling, as well as VA, music etc. were all perfect.

Definitely looking forward to a sequel, but as has been said, keep the MP to a side thought please.

StoLavorando
10-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Dear God: Please. NO. Alan. Wake. MP.

Developers: Have we learned nothing from Bioshock 2?

In case you don't know... MP is the most powerful weapon against a single player experience.

That is what Alan Wake is.

Disc-space allotted for maps... "horde/onslaught" modes against unending taken while an 11 year old who looks like Barry/Lamp Lady screaming in pre-pubescent tones about stealing his kills?

Please.

Poisonous stuff.
RDR is an exception to the rule, minus the obvious flaws.

Baihu1983
10-20-2010, 06:17 PM
Yeah well it is said that the writer was last dlc.. and after the credits it says something like "Alan Wakes journey through the night will continue"

Sure it said that during the main game credits aswell? Its a nod to Max Paynes end credits ;)

But anyways im 90% sure they will make AW2.

gamesmaster360
10-22-2010, 02:13 PM
i agree but it wont be for a while as remedy are working on max payne 3 at the moment and please let it stay single player too many sequels have been spoilt with multiplayer

washposthero
10-22-2010, 05:15 PM
I love everything about Alan Wake and Bright Falls, and I'd love to see more. Remedy are my kind guys. I still play Max Payne 1 & 2 once a year.

gamesmaster360
"i agree but it wont be for a while as remedy are working on max payne 3 at the moment and please let it stay single player too many sequels have been spoilt with multiplayer"

Remedy aren't developing Max Payne 3 and it will not be written by Sam Lake or feature the voice of James Mccaffrey. The game has moved away from New York Noir. It's being developed by Rockstar Vancouver (Bully) and is set in Brazil with a plot and tone influenced by Tony Scott's Man on Fire.

victorvolt
12-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Funny names for sequel:
2 Wake 2 Furious
Alan Wake 2: alone in the dark
Alan Wake 2: Wake harder
Alan Wake 2: Nightmare on Elm street
Alan Wake 2: Now with neon sharks!
Alan Wake 2: Alan goes bar hoppin'
Alan Wake 2: This time, he just sits on his butt all day playing video games

T3z
12-29-2010, 01:08 AM
There are much shittier games that get sequels so Alan Wakes sitting pretty good atm.

xxxhawkxxx
12-29-2010, 01:23 AM
probaly so but im not quite sure

Ravenhood
01-20-2011, 05:06 PM
There are plans for some sort of continuation of Alan Wake, though not necessarily a video game. Remedy/Sam Lake has said they want to flush out the story in multiple mediums, so even if a game doesn't happen, it could be a movie, book, etc.

This is sort of like what could end up happening to The Longest Journey series (for those who have any idea what that game/franchise is...).

FSparacino4
01-21-2011, 07:41 AM
If they do a sequel, I do believe it would be in the pipe for a late 2011 or 2012 release. The technology base is there, and there are probably no major design changes in sight, like with the original game's dropping the open world sandbox idea.

The end of 2011 would be a horrible time to plan on releasing Alan Wake 2. The end of the year is typically times when big releases come out (Nov. and early Dec.) in time for the holidays. This year is no different. Mass Effect 3, Gears of War 3 and Uncharted 3 are all scheduled for holiday releases and would hurt the success of a Alan Wake sequel. My guess would be March - May of 2012 to expect a sequel if there is one.

bigbear2face
02-04-2011, 04:13 PM
From what I remember it was clearly stated at the end of "The Writer" DLC that there was going to be more. Whether that just meant another DLC or a complete sequel I don't know.

tash3r
02-06-2011, 12:11 AM
I really hope so, I enjoyed this game a lot.

hotdogenigma
02-07-2011, 09:07 PM
I heard that Remedy wanted to make this game as part of an episodic-type theme and this was just the first episode/chapter. Kind of like the Twilight Zone. I would expect the sequel to be something totally different, but just as good, if not better than the first of course.

I JUST D0 WORK
02-07-2011, 09:13 PM
i loved alan wake and all the dlcs but i heard microsoft is hesitant about a sequel because it didnt sell as well as they though. Alan wake 2 would be amazing though

Vargas 924
02-10-2011, 11:41 PM
i think there will be a part two, if you've beat it then i'm sure you might know if there will be one

hollow212
02-16-2011, 05:41 PM
Really enjoyed this game and all the dlc. I would be upset if they didn't follow through with a sequel. Remedy has said that they are happy and impressed with how the game is still selling and gaining new fans from word of mouth alone. hopefully microsoft feals the same.

ppzhangg
02-17-2011, 05:53 AM
If there's alan wake 2, I will definitely buy it!! Loved the game very much. Although a little bit scary for me~

CheddarBug
02-17-2011, 04:16 PM
I would buy a second Alan Wake in a heartbeat. From a writer's stand point it was a well put together game with great characters. I must admit that I may not be the best of gamers and am still collecting a few last achievements, but I'm happy each time I sit down to play.

Rafalas
02-19-2011, 01:59 PM
I hope there is a second part. I really enjoyed Alan Wake.

Shade42
02-20-2011, 06:01 AM
I may be in the minority here, but I don't think Alan Wake should have a sequel. Don't get me wrong I really enjoyed the game, had fun with the dlcs, and even though a more wrapped up ending would have been satisfying I'm happy with the ending.

What made this game great was the imaginative mechanics of using light as a tool and the suspense as the story got increasingly surreal. Look how fantastical the dlcs were, sure they were fine as short endings to the game because we were already invested in the original story, but you can't continue from there with a full retail game, it would get old fast.

<*spoilers and musings ahead*>
I suppose a sequel could be made with Alan and his Return book becoming 'Tom' for a new character but they would have to develop some significantly new and interesting mechanics for it to not feel like a warmed-over remake.

In that vein, while playing the Writer, I half-expected a suggestion that there was some cyclical element. For instance when Alan starts writing The Return I half expected him to put Tom down as the author.

Last idea: Have the second game be a quasi-prequel. A period piece where Tom is the central character leading to his eventual capture with sanity in the dark, then maybe a tease or dlc linking that story back to Wake's and one or both eventually getting out of the darkness.

Actually that last idea might be really good, maybe a sequel could work...

Dr Stud027
02-22-2011, 07:08 AM
So many mediocre games are getting sequels nowadays, so I can't imagine a good game like this would get skipped.

beebs720
02-22-2011, 05:27 PM
I loved this game. Original story, great music/sound, good graphics, excellent gameplay. Remedy should be commended for taking a risk for trying something original, and then knocking it out of the park. In an industry with cookie-cutter shooters, I would pick up the sequel to this in a heartbeat.

Kaktus Fuz
02-23-2011, 07:09 PM
Just finished it. And I loved it :) will buy the sequel if they make one.

Leaf King
03-02-2011, 06:17 PM
I don't see Alan Wake 2 without Alan Wake 3...if the first game was the lake, then it'll take at least two more games to tell the story of the ocean. If they go broke after #2, we'll all shoot ourselves.

SoleAssassin
03-18-2011, 11:43 PM
If they do make another one make Alan not lose his breath fast! It was ridiculous how they made him run out of breath from running 15 feet.

the_dan
03-20-2011, 04:11 PM
I really hope it, Its was a great game.

They got the engine (was a big part in development wich took to long)

veece16
03-22-2011, 02:48 AM
I hope Remedy makes it. I really want to know what happens to Alan and whether he escapes the darkness.

Ezoia
03-22-2011, 02:53 AM
This game is the next on my list to get but from the other replies of wanting a 2nd game and how much everyone liked it I am all in for getting it now.

Mellow Tha Pro
03-24-2011, 08:01 AM
make an alan wake 2 - but no more than that. have him get out of the dark place and back to his wife and than roll the credits for good.

FSparacino4
03-25-2011, 04:07 AM
If they do make another one make Alan not lose his breath fast! It was ridiculous how they made him run out of breath from running 15 feet.

They made him run out of breath so quickly in order to add tension to the gameplay. Being able to infinetly out run the Taken would be pointless and would ruin the game.

Yusshin
04-10-2011, 02:31 AM
The storyline is already written.

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/2010/00042592-le-scenario-d-alan-wake-2-deja-ecrit.htm

Alors qu'Alan Wake sort vendredi dans toutes les bonnes crèmeries, Oskari Hakkinen, du studio Remedy, a déclaré à nos confrères de CVG que les grandes lignes du scénario d'Alan Wake 2 étaient déjà écrites

"Though Alan Wake comes out Friday in stores, Oskari Hakkinen, from Remedy Studios, has stated that the storyline of Alan Wake 2 has already been written."

It goes on to say that if sales go well for the first one, they'll make a second one.

Looking at how many copies sold, it's safe to say that yes, there will be a #2.

ToPoleaDK
04-24-2011, 07:20 AM
[QUOTE=ozgoon56;3585673]Would it? I can't see a co-op where one player holds the torch while the other shoots the gun attracting too many of the multi-player community away from whatever version of Halo they happen to be playing for very long. ;)

LMFAO!

ssaviola85
04-27-2011, 11:01 PM
I hope so, this is such a great sleeper hit of a game.

matt cena
04-29-2011, 10:46 AM
I hope there is a sequel. This was my GOTY for 2010. Im just trying to get all achievements on DLC atm

Magicalchaos
05-02-2011, 11:22 AM
I think there will be a sequal, as alan wake sold pretty well so it would make sense to make another.

AmyLoubie
05-02-2011, 05:21 PM
I myself hope there will be a sequel as I really enjoyed this game and at times it really creeped me out lol.

Hawaiian
05-28-2011, 09:00 PM
I just read this article here:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=128255&page=1

and it says "It has been confirmed that this [anti-aliasing] technology will be implemented into Remedy's upcoming Xbox 360 exclusive, which is Alan Wake 2 when it is announced." but I haven't found a reliable source yet.

But I'm quite sure that there will be an Alan Wake 2. The arcade-game spin-off might be cool as well, but I prefer an actual retail sequel.

Ethiebeefy
06-19-2011, 08:59 AM
I really hope there's a Alan Wake 2

SketchStone
06-20-2011, 10:38 AM
Ultimately it will likely come down to a decision by Microsoft whether a sequel goes ahead or not. I read a few news items last year about how Remedy are raring to go, but MS is actually keeping their foot on the brake, sadly - too busy dicking about making connect games in all probability.