PDA

View Full Version : UK Defence Secretary Calls for Medal of Honor Ban

QuiCkz AleX
08-23-2010, 10:03 AM
UK Defence Secretary Liam Fox has joined the growing chorus criticizing EA's forthcoming Medal of Honor, a game that takes place amidst the ongoing conflict in Afghanistan.

continue...

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/111/1115044p1.html

QuiCkz AleX
08-23-2010, 12:43 PM
There may be a maelstrom of controversy (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=261223) surrounding its release - but the BBFC has told CVG that the violence in EA's Medal Of Honor is "not as strong" as that of rival first-person shooters.

Indeed, the ratings body has revealed that it feels the title only deserved a "borderline" adult rating - and that according to its guidelines, the game fitted "somewhere between the 15 and 18" mark.

http://cdn.medialib.computerandvideogames.com/screens/screenshot_225316_thumb300.jpg (javascript:screens_popup(225316);)

The FPS hit the headlines this weekend, after Defence Secretary Liam Fox called for it to be banned at UK retail (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=261223) - as the game allows you to play as The Taliban in multiplayer.

"We gave it a cautious 18-rating, but it's not as strong as other comparable games," a BBFC spokesperson told CVG this morning.

"We considered it to be somewhere between a 15 and 18 rating when looking at our guidelines."

Fox said he was "disgusted" by the game, saying it was "shocking that someone would think it acceptable to recreate the acts of the Taliban".

However, the Government has distanced itself from Fox's comments - stating they were merely a "personal view". (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=261328)

Defending its decision to pass the game fit for retail (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=260491), the BBFC spokesperson added: "There are a number of games set in both modern and historical wars in which you can shoot UK and US troops in multiplayer. Medal Of Honor is not unique in this respect."

Medal Of Honor is due for release on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 in October.

Takamura Bear
08-23-2010, 05:07 PM
I read about this in The Sun newspaper and I laughed when they basically said "you play as the Taliban and kill brave British Soldiers to increase your score". Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are no British soldiers in this game? Lmao at the stupid media.

Our Soldiers are over-stretched, under-equiped due to lack of funding, our goverment doesn't give a fuck about them, yet it seems more effort is being placed into banning a video game by the goverment than focusing on the real war in Afghanistan.

The US soldiers are better equiped and and get treated better for post-war treatment and therapy than UK forces, and that is the fucking harsh truth.

Bad boy James B
09-03-2010, 09:06 PM
I know its just so stupid just let them make the game allready:uzi:

Pearson
09-04-2010, 12:21 PM
It's funny that when MW and MW2 came out no one wasn't too upset that you could play an un-named Middle Eastern faction, but now that a game comes out and gives the un-named faction a name, everyone wants to ban the damn thing!

blee717
09-12-2010, 03:31 AM
This is ridiculous. They don't say anything when you can play as the Nazis in World at War or North Vietnamese in Black Ops but they make a big deal out of this? I think humanity is stupid and full of hypocrites. if there are intelligent life forms out there, they need to stay away from this.

Bebe Buell
09-13-2010, 12:40 PM
This is ridiculous. They don't say anything when you can play as the Nazis in World at War or North Vietnamese in Black Ops but they make a big deal out of this? I think humanity is stupid and full of hypocrites. if there are intelligent life forms out there, they need to stay away from this.

Apparently it's a big fucking deal that it's an ongoing conflict. I don't know why, but my friend understands. Ask him :P

Xenolith666
09-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Fuck those limey, tea suckin brits.. it's not their soldiers in the game! :p

iiDaRReN316x
09-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Yes the Goverment over here suck hard.

Xenolith666
09-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Not as bad as the Germans or Australians when it comes to games.. or so I hear. I'm sure it'll get some flak over here once a parent sees what their angel child is playing and runs to the nearest media outlet demanding a ban on it.

Takamura Bear
09-19-2010, 09:20 PM

How dare you. Some of us Brits don't have enough teeth to even sip tea. :p

Xenolith666
09-20-2010, 07:21 AM
How dare you. Some of us Brits don't have enough teeth to even sip tea. :p

lol! love it!

Langeboy
09-24-2010, 10:11 AM
I find this funny when the press get into things like this, all they actually achieve is increasing the sales of this game.
I don't really get it, I can kill Germans and Russians to my hearts content, but god-forbid I harm an American. Aren't we all human? Who's the insensitive one now? There is a quote from another member of this forum in the 'off-topic' section which is undoubtedly true. "Aren't these men and women fighting over-sea's so we're not told what we can and cannot do?" Ironic.

XPL1C1T GAM3R
09-27-2010, 09:22 AM
fuck you, you fat greasy american.

Strongbow
09-29-2010, 08:58 PM

Ha........

InfernalTuv
10-01-2010, 01:13 PM
the thing is their pushing for equal rights and shit not every1s fucking goin to be = do cry when u kill a japanese a nazi on world war games get over it

Jamiereloaded23
10-01-2010, 09:49 PM
I think to be honest if we go down the route of censoring what we can and cannot take part in with games it'll start the industry, after all, who is going to want to play something that they don't have full control of??? If you wanted to do that you may as well go catch a film instead, as it'll eventually turn games into interactive movies in the end (like the Lost game!!!).

ReverendSID
10-03-2010, 08:47 AM
It's funny that when MW and MW2 came out no one wasn't too upset that you could play an un-named Middle Eastern faction, but now that a game comes out and gives the un-named faction a name, everyone wants to ban the damn thing!
This is ridiculous. They don't say anything when you can play as the Nazis in World at War or North Vietnamese in Black Ops but they make a big deal out of this? I think humanity is stupid and full of hypocrites. if there are intelligent life forms out there, they need to stay away from this. :whs I'm so sick of double standards in the entertainment industry. Like in movies, it's okay to show dozens of people getting blown up or mowed down with weapons fire, but god forbid you show a tit. So, it's okay to play as a German or Japanese soldier killing Americans and Brits, but it's not okay to play as a terrorist doing the same thing? Oh wait... I don't seem to recall too much bitching about Counter Strike having terrorists, I guess it's just cause these are middle eastern terrorists. :omg:boom

Not as bad as the Germans or Australians when it comes to games.. or so I hear. I'm sure it'll get some flak over here once a parent sees what their angel child is playing and runs to the nearest media outlet demanding a ban on it. Gee, if only that parent actually looked at the game BEFORE they bought it for their kid. Or listened to the store clerk telling them it's not appropriate for their kid's age... In short, if only that parent was actually a fucking parent.

Silver 0sprey
10-03-2010, 05:41 PM
I have been reading about this today. I think this is a good idea. First of all, I am a 21-year Veteran, currently a high school Special Education teacher and understand, for the most part, the ideals behind this insane group of people and studied the mental process. Plus, I have five children and know very well the thought process of children (K-21).

Banning the use of the Taliban is a good idea. We should not use an organization, with which, we are currently in conflict. They want to destroy our way of life and will, given the chance. Next, there has been an increase in American Citizens joining the Taliban and the recruitment of American Citizens. Granted, we have a choice. But why expose this to the younger children (8-18) that have yet to completely formulated their views and understand the concept/consequences of this radical group.

So, I agree with the banning of the use of the Taliban, even thought it's a game. It is the exposure and acceptance that is produced by introducing them into our "way of Life."

Silver 0sprey
10-03-2010, 05:43 PM

Please, we don't need this here. It's a privilege to be able to post your disagreement here, but it's very offensive and unnecessary to use this type of vocabulary.

ReverendSID
10-03-2010, 07:24 PM
But why expose this to the younger children (8-18) that have yet to completely formulated their views I have nothing against the rest of your post, you pose a well thought out argument. But I honestly believe that children 8-18 shouldn't be playing games like this in the first place. Maybe, MAYBE, 17 and up, but definitely no younger than that.

Silver 0sprey
10-06-2010, 08:54 PM
I have nothing against the rest of your post, you pose a well thought out argument. But I honestly believe that children 8-18 shouldn't be playing games like this in the first place. Maybe, MAYBE, 17 and up, but definitely no younger than that.

Agreed. Point taken.

upindat
10-08-2010, 10:22 PM
bUY IT!!! COME ON!!!

mosin360
10-09-2010, 06:40 PM
He probably got to play the campaign.. hahahahahaha.

bawrash
10-09-2010, 08:16 PM
If you really gave a shit your fat ass wouldn't be sat on a couch playing video games.

Please, we don't need this here. It's a privilege to be able to post your disagreement here, but it's very offensive and unnecessary to use this type of vocabulary.
Why not refer to the person who started the vulgarity.

The guy is probably trying to get his name recognised and choice to pick on this game as a way for people to hear his voice. He's nothing but another douchebag politic.

SevenSidedRubixKube
10-10-2010, 12:28 AM
It's funny that when MW and MW2 came out no one wasn't too upset that you could play an un-named Middle Eastern faction, but now that a game comes out and gives the un-named faction a name, everyone wants to ban the damn thing! So true, the world is fucked up. We can kill a bunch of npcs without names set in the near future, and "yAy tis is fun".

But now give them a name and everyone shits themselves.
We could kill NATO friendly forces in MW and MW2 as long as their killers don't have an actual name (OpFor) or as long as they did something "wrong" in the past (Spetznas). And why change the multiplayer faction name to Opposing Force, if you're going to keep to singleplayer name as Taliban. Yeah thats nice, US can kill the Taliban, but god-forbid have them kill the US.

Buck a Fuffaloe
10-10-2010, 04:29 AM
I have been reading about this today. I think this is a good idea. First of all, I am a 21-year Veteran, currently a high school Special Education teacher and understand, for the most part, the ideals behind this insane group of people and studied the mental process. Plus, I have five children and know very well the thought process of children (K-21).

Banning the use of the Taliban is a good idea. We should not use an organization, with which, we are currently in conflict. They want to destroy our way of life and will, given the chance. Next, there has been an increase in American Citizens joining the Taliban and the recruitment of American Citizens. Granted, we have a choice. But why expose this to the younger children (8-18) that have yet to completely formulated their views and understand the concept/consequences of this radical group.

So, I agree with the banning of the use of the Taliban, even thought it's a game. It is the exposure and acceptance that is produced by introducing them into our "way of Life."
Wait, someone had a well thought out arguement? Blasphepmy!
:p

SIMPLYMIDGET
10-13-2010, 04:19 PM

Well said.

At first it didn't make sense to me, but the more I thought about it the more I realized it makes sense. It's an ongoing conflict so it's understandable. The reference may also be a touchy subject to members of the armed forces currently involved, or even retired.

Regardless, I bought the game and love it.

upindat
10-13-2010, 05:24 PM
what a joke. Of all the other games out there they want to ban this one??? Tell me this what excatly is the orgin of the people in cod mwf?? To me its the same thing!!