PDA

View Full Version : It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Straylow
08-23-2010, 06:06 PM
Season 6 is coming out in September and I can't wait! When I first began watching this series, I really didn't think it would get much better than the 1st and 2nd seasons, but I was wrong. They have managed to keep me laughing through every single episode. The characters are truly genius. All of them, including the side characters. Favorite probably has to be Frank or Mac with Charlie right behind 'em. Favorite episodes include "Walking in Charlie's Shoes", "The Gang Goes Jihad", and, of course, "The Nightman Cometh". Who else loves this show as much as I do?

WartyHogger
08-23-2010, 06:36 PM
I love this show lol, it's just so random at times, probably the only TV series were I found every episode to actually be funny. :Bounce:

tehapoc
08-23-2010, 09:35 PM
No one likes salting the snail, but she gives you no choice.

ooo0ooooooo0ooo
08-23-2010, 10:12 PM
I've never watched this show, but I always see commercials. It looks Hilarious. I may look for some old seasons streaming online.

rvlution
08-23-2010, 11:04 PM
What can this show be compared to? It looks like it might be funny but Idk. Arrested Development maybe?

tehapoc
08-23-2010, 11:13 PM
From what I've seen there is really only one original comedy airing on basic cable that can compete with network and premium cable shows: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (http://fxnetworks.com/shows/originals/sunny/). Revolving around four friends who spend most of their time hanging out in a bar, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's episodes tackle (and by tackle, I mean mock) controversial issues such as abortion, gun control, and gender reassignment. The show is Seinfeld-ish in that the main characters are really not particularly nice people, and episodes tend to cleverly come full circle. Danny DeVito joined the cast as the father of two of the original characters in season two.

I can't say that it's similar to Arrested Development only because I haven't even watched the show. Though, if you're a David Cross fan and liked Mr. Show - then you'll probably like It's Always Sunny.

From a few years ago from after the second season. The show gradually gets better after each season, in my opinion. I have high hopes and expectations for the sixth season. Would recommend the show to anyone who hasn't watched it yet.

Straylow
08-23-2010, 11:24 PM
What can this show be compared to? It looks like it might be funny but Idk. Arrested Development maybe?

Well, going off of Netflix, that's actually the closest show they recommend. Although the comedy is a bit darker, if you like Arrested Development, there's a high chance you'd like Always Sunny. I believe Hulu has clips up from the different seasons, Netflix has Seasons 1-4 on Queue, Comedy Central has started showing Always Sunny (it's on tonight at 9PM / 8 Central and they have clips online), YouTube probably has various clips I'm sure...multiple options.

Shootercoys
08-23-2010, 11:42 PM
No one likes salting the snail, but she gives you no choice.

You're thirty-three years old, you're supposed to be sexually active! You're not supposed to be fondling your uncle under the table

Neverender
08-23-2010, 11:55 PM

Think Seinfeld, but more modern and dark in terms of humor. I've never seen AD, so that's the best comparison I can give.

Anyway, I love the show. I started watching it when Comedy Central started with the two hours every week, and I've been watching it since.

And while we're sharing quotes...
What are you gonna do, hit him? No, that's a terrible idea, I'll tell you why: it doesn't unbang your mom.

tehapoc
08-24-2010, 12:08 AM
http://a.onionstatic.com/images/articles/article/34776/IASIP_2_jpg_595x325_crop_upscale_q85.jpg

Birds of War - need I say more?

agentplatypus
08-24-2010, 12:41 AM
Have you guys seen the Christmas Special? The bit with Charlie and Santa is the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.

Garbar05
08-24-2010, 12:46 AM
I started watching this show last season because I started watching The League. I randomly decided to watch an episode before The League one night and it was Mac and Charlie Write a Movie. Thought the episode was absolutely hysterical and then I started watching episodes online here and there. And now I've seen almost every episode because of Comedy Central showing re-runs of it.

Looking forward to the new season because there's no other show on TV that I find as funny as this. Favorite episode has got to be The Gang Hits the Road, I love how they spend the whole episode trying to go on a trip but never make it more than 10 miles away from Paddy's.

steamboatidk
08-24-2010, 12:47 AM
I just started watching its alway sunny in philadelphia and it was so funny i couldn't believe i didn't watch it in the beggining of the show but another show i can't wait for is Sons of anarchy the ending of the season was so messed up i hope Jax get's his son back. Henry Rollins Character deserved to die.

Burning Karma
08-24-2010, 02:15 AM
Think Seinfeld, but more modern and dark in terms of humor. I've never seen AD, so that's the best comparison I can give.
I'd say that's an accurate comparison. I love the show; it's so damn funny.

tehapoc
08-24-2010, 02:27 AM
We could just say that it's in a league of it's own...

Tussell
08-24-2010, 07:16 AM
Always Sunny and The Big Bang Theory are my two favorite shows, with Weeds following it. Of course, that's for live shows, not cartoons.
Jt
Anywho, I own the first four seasons and the Christmas special. I absolutely love the show. Just think Seinfeld on steroids, it's crazy!

It's a shame that I only catch my favorite television shoes when they hit DVD. I never watch TV.

CruelXxJesteRxX
08-25-2010, 12:29 AM
This show is hilarious. Gotta love it.

rvlution
08-25-2010, 03:24 AM
I love Seinfeld so I'll try to watch this sometime. Does seem pretty funny.

SoleAssassin
08-28-2010, 03:38 PM
"What if Jesus was aborted?"

tehapoc
08-30-2010, 03:21 AM
YouTube- Season 6 Trailer | Auto-Tune (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia)

Noticed a Halloween episode in there. Danny DeVito as Spider-Man? Genius.

Tinysmitty
09-08-2010, 06:27 AM
I cant wait for Season 6. I love this show.

R Rated Love
12-27-2010, 09:34 AM
I cant wait for Season 6. I love this show.

Anyone else a bit disappointed in the finale? The season started great for me, but seemed to end on a bit of a low note. Just didn't feel like a proper finale.

I've gotta say, though, in episode 7 when Mac is recalling his Halloween night, and they cut to Mac in the bathroom talking to Dee, who is being played by an ostrich, I pretty much lost it. Easily one of the funniest moments of the season.

YouTube - Get out of here, Dee.

The show gradually gets better after each season, in my opinion.

I've also been watching since its inception, and I've gotta say, I fall on pretty much the polar opposite side of things as you. While I do still enjoy the show, and find it entertaining/funny/etc, I can't help but feel as though the show has gotten more and more ridiculous. I mean take an episode from the first season, and then take an episode from the last couple seasons, and just look at everybody. The characters are all so extreme, they're literally caricatures of themselves. I love that they're all so off the wall, but once things go from improbable to impossible, it just loses its touch for me.

While I'm still a huge fan of the show, and probably will be for the forseeable future, I definitely am partial to the older episodes. (And I mean that in the least-elitist way possible)

And FWIW, the Seinfeld comparisons are pretty solid. I wouldn't think it a stretch to call it the Seinfeld of my generation. Granted Seinfeld could also be considered the Seinfeld of my generation... ;)

(I'm aware this is a couple-month bump, but I don't believe that's really important to the topic at hand. I figure all of the previous talk was in anticipation of the new season, so now that it's over, I believe some opinions regarding the latest season are about due)

turtley78
12-27-2010, 10:00 AM
Agreed. I was disappointed with this last season. I thought the first couple seasons were much better.

Neverender
12-27-2010, 11:04 AM
Anyone else a bit disappointed in the finale? The season started great for me, but seemed to end on a bit of a low note. Just didn't feel like a proper finale.
I felt the same way. After that episode, I was still expecting another one next week, and I had to research to find it was the finale. Definitely bummed me out, especially since I missed half of the season because Dish and Fox have greedy corporate bastards running them.

While I'm still a huge fan of the show, and probably will be for the forseeable future, I definitely am partial to the older episodes. (And I mean that in the least-elitist way possible)
I agree, but not for the exact same reasons. The older seasons just had better concepts behind the episodes. In the more recent episodes, the episodes' concepts have been lackluster and there's been a semi-funny plot continuing through the episodes I've seen (Dee being pregnant). There were a few good episodes this last season, but the first few seasons had every episode being good.