PDA

View Full Version : Should HRX take the time to create a pro bass controller?

SnowSHOWERS
08-23-2010, 07:40 PM
Being a bass player myself i was pumped for pro bass but now that i know i have to use a pro guitar controller to do it it has kinda turned me away from this game because the instruments in reality play completely different.

Coxy x360a
08-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Until I read the rest of your post, I mis-understood the question.

I thought it meant.. should HRX make a custom controller based on the Pro-Bass fishing game that's coming out soon (Rapella?).

And my opinion on the actual question would be, although the instruments do greatly vary in reality, there are no differences in game. The only difference that could be made is shape, which is kind of pointless, so I would imagine they wouldn't.

SnowSHOWERS
08-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Until I read the rest of your post, I mis-understood the question.

I thought it meant.. should HRX make a custom controller based on the Pro-Bass fishing game that's coming out soon (Rapella?).

And my opinion on the actual question would be, although the instruments do greatly vary in reality, there are no differences in game. The only difference that could be made is shape, which is kind of pointless, so I would imagine they wouldn't.

Well a bass has thick strings so that the sound is lower and is why many bass players like myself finger strum (hense the upstrum only achievements) and having to do that on skinny strings that aren't spread that far apart will be a bitch! That is something that makes me not want this game!

TwistedFate
08-23-2010, 08:01 PM
No HMX should focus on games, not start making controllers out of the blue.

SnowSHOWERS
08-23-2010, 08:05 PM
No HMX should focus on games, not start making controllers out of the blue.

Really don't know why i did HRX that was dumb...

Dustinator
08-23-2010, 10:53 PM
I disagree with whatever you are saying since you want Carmine to live ;) Seriously, I'd rather them stick to the gameplay and such than a bass. Save it for RB4 in 2012. Maybe.............

mikachu93
08-23-2010, 11:18 PM
As a bassist myself, I'm gonna have to say no to this idea. From a business standpoint, there's no reason to make a bass controller that won't sell as well as the guitar. Besides, if a band like Dream Theater ever released a song with Pro modes charted, a four-string bass controller wouldn't work out.

If that's not a good enough reason, the Squier and Mustang play two different charts in Pro mode due to the number of frets each have. If they released a bass with four or five strings, they'd need yet another Pro guitar and Pro bass chart for those instruments.

If the Squier and the Mustang combined bring in a decent profit, then they may consider it, but don't expect anything less than six strings.

TwistedFate
08-23-2010, 11:47 PM
If that's not a good enough reason, the Squier and Mustang play two different charts in Pro mode due to the number of frets each have.

Going to have to ask for a source on this one. Everything I've seen says Pro mode charts only go to the 17th fret. Which, coincidentally, is how many frets the Mustang has. HMX is not going to chart 12 different Guitar charts for each song. That's just ridiculous.

If they released a bass with four or five strings, they'd need yet another Pro guitar and Pro bass chart for those instruments.

They have already said when a song requires more than 4 strings they are charted as such. That's why they are just using the guitar controllers as basses. They already have the extra strings, so they are already able to play all songs.

mikachu93
08-24-2010, 02:01 AM
Going to have to ask for a source on this one. Everything I've seen says Pro mode charts only go to the 17th fret. Which, coincidentally, is how many frets the Mustang has. HMX is not going to chart 12 different Guitar charts for each song. That's just ridiculous.

They have already said when a song requires more than 4 strings they are charted as such. That's why they are just using the guitar controllers as basses. They already have the extra strings, so they are already able to play all songs.
Well, those two sentences are kinda taken out of context when you break them apart like that. My point was that a four-string or five-string bass wouldn't be a good idea, and because a six-string bass and a six-string guitar are more or less identical (save the thickness of the strings and the spacing of the frets), they're better off with just the guitars.

I'm looking for the link as I type. I'll edit it in as soon as I find it, but doesn't it make sense that the two charts would be different when they're using two different amounts of frets? The difference isn't a big one; the Mustang chart is just a little compressed to fit the songs on a 17-fret guitar.

EDIT: Not a big fan of the poll options, by the way. I play bass and don't want to see a $300 bass peripheral, but I can't choose "No, who plays bass," because... well, I play bass.

SebastianSB
08-24-2010, 02:25 AM

I haven't kept track of the source, but at some point I definitely read on RBA that the two guitars have different numbers of frets and that the charts are slightly different to reflect that. Well...I might have seen it in one of the videos featured there, actually, but I definitely learned it there.

TwistedFate
08-24-2010, 04:03 AM
I'm looking for the link as I type. I'll edit it in as soon as I find it, but doesn't it make sense that the two charts would be different when they're using two different amounts of frets? The difference isn't a big one; the Mustang chart is just a little compressed to fit the songs on a 17-fret guitar.

I haven't kept track of the source, but at some point I definitely read on RBA that the two guitars have different numbers of frets and that the charts are slightly different to reflect that. Well...I might have seen it in one of the videos featured there, actually, but I definitely learned it there.

I found a source myself. http://www.plasticaxe.com/2010/06/11/exclusive-interview-new-details-on-rock-band-3-pro-mode-peripherals-and-drum-functionality/2/

@mikachu, it wasn't a matter of whether having different charts made sense or not (it doesn't BTW, unless it's done algorithmically at run-time). What didn't make sense is that they actually gave the Squier a different amount of active frets for use in the game.

SnowSHOWERS
08-24-2010, 12:41 PM
Not a big fan of the poll options, by the way. I play bass and don't want to see a $300 bass peripheral, but I can't choose "No, who plays bass," because... well, I play bass.

Well i did it as a sarcastic thing because i play bass too. My only complaint is i have no interest in learning guitar tracks and don't like to pick at all so having to use the squier or mustang to finger strum would be too much of a hassle.

A CATSHOVEL
08-30-2010, 02:25 AM
...a six-string bass and a six-string guitar are more or less identical (save the thickness of the strings and the spacing of the frets).
That is kind of a big difference.

weedyleopard
10-04-2010, 02:25 AM
These guitars work for both Pro Guitar and Pro Bass?
Yep! We've talked about a dedicated bass guitar but at this time it's probably not in the players' best interest. Having only four bass strings would make it impossible to play most of the guitar parts.

Quoted from http://www.rockband.com/zine/rb3-features-pro-guitar

They will have a dedicated bass but as of this very moment it isnt there

TwistedFate
10-04-2010, 02:57 AM
They will have a dedicated bass but as of this very moment it isnt there

They did not say they would have one. They said they talked about it.