PDA

View Full Version : Musical Debate Club

Amazon Odie
08-24-2010, 02:14 AM
I am creating a musical debate club at my school for this upcoming semester and as the title says it is a debate where all the topics are music related, But I need some topics to debate/ discuss. Band v. Band is fine and any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Gorilla Stomper
08-24-2010, 02:43 AM
Metal Vs Indie. That roughly translates to "Talent Vs No Talent".

Just pit genres against eachother, and instruments against computers etc. etc.

x24x

milecoupe
08-24-2010, 04:22 AM
One that always seems to light a fire under people who drink

Straight edge music vs non edge(aka total drunken druged things)

to go with your avi if your really edge;)

tehapoc
08-24-2010, 04:36 AM
'Why pop music isn't real music.'

WartyHogger
08-24-2010, 06:52 AM
Idk, i usually just listen to techno and if you ask a question about that they'll probably be like, uhhhhh, what?:(

ooo0ooooooo0ooo
08-24-2010, 10:51 AM
One of the most highly debated things among the genre of metal. Metallica Vs. Megadeath

I know "who is better" is almost always an opinion, especially when the bands are in the same genre, but I would like to see the outcome.

In my opinion Metallica is better, but I have to say that I'm totally ashamed of St. Anger and Death Magnetic, their two latest albums...

Amazon Odie
08-24-2010, 02:35 PM

yes I am straight edge and I am the only one in my school who is so I would probably be crucified by my testicles if I brought that up, Metallica v. Mega Death comes up a lot and I don't think genera v. genera will work because that is like asking which tastes better corn or apples, there is no common ground there

Big Stoz
08-24-2010, 02:47 PM
How about which musical instrument cause the most damage, each week select an instrument and then beat an unpopular member of the class with it until the police arrive or the instrument breaks...I may need to mention copyright at this point as I think this is a damn fine idea for a Game Show :woop:

Amazon Odie
08-24-2010, 03:24 PM
How about which musical instrument cause the most damage, each week select an instrument and then beat an unpopular member of the class with it until the police arrive or the instrument breaks...I may need to mention copyright at this point as I think this is a damn fine idea for a Game Show :woop:

that made my day ahahaha

Joewl45
08-24-2010, 08:10 PM
'Justin Bieber isn't so bad.' Discuss.

I think that would provoke some interesting debate :)

exo-apollo
08-25-2010, 06:23 AM
Shostakovich vs. Stalin

Metal Vs Indie. That roughly translates to "Talent Vs No Talent".

Think you got that the wrong way round ;). I know what you mean though, it's unfourtante that people seem to lump lots of bands that are not 'indie' together with other bands (eg. Grizzly Bear, The National, LCD Soundsystem all being placed within indie sub genres). But let's not argue music, the last time I did that on here was about three years ago and I learnt pretty quickly that it was a practice that only douchebags engaged in.

MrSpanner
08-25-2010, 05:15 PM
Think you got that the wrong way round ;). I know what you mean though, it's unfourtante that people seem to lump lots of bands that are not 'indie' together with other bands (eg. Grizzly Bear, The National, LCD Soundsystem all being placed within indie sub genres). But let's not argue music, the last time I did that on here was about three years ago and I learnt pretty quickly that it was a practice that only douchebags engaged in.

yup, agreed.

Maybe something like: who had more impact on music: The Rolling Stones or The Beatles, something like that.

mikemc
08-25-2010, 05:23 PM
'Justin Bieber isn't so bad.' Discuss.

I think that would provoke some interesting debate :)

hahah..,..yeah this would definitely create some "debate"...all the girls will love him and all the guys will hate him

Chevron411
08-25-2010, 07:19 PM
One of the most highly debated things among the genre of metal. Metallica Vs. Megadeath

I know "who is better" is almost always an opinion, especially when the bands are in the same genre, but I would like to see the outcome.

In my opinion Metallica is better, but I have to say that I'm totally ashamed of St. Anger and Death Magnetic, their two latest albums...
I'm pretty sure that's why Rob Halford said Megadeth for consistency.

One topic could be Eric Clapton versus Eric Johnson, or Jeff Beck, from like a technical aspect.

milecoupe
08-28-2010, 02:50 AM
yes I am straight edge and I am the only one in my school who is so I would probably be crucified by my testicles if I brought that up

Oh i know that feeling all too well from when i was in school hahahaha

But who knows you may open someones eyes to it with that topic.;)

Gorilla Stomper
08-29-2010, 09:24 PM
Think you got that the wrong way round ;).

No... I really didn't.

Amazon Odie
08-01-2011, 01:12 AM
sine i am starting the clu up again i'm giving this a bump. bite me.

Tussell
08-01-2011, 08:41 AM

Total Drunken Druged Things.

You're really helping my view on the straight edge community. Thanks.

EDIT:
ITS AN EFFIN' TRAP! HOW DARE YOU GET ME TO POST SOMETHING OTHER THAN RIDICULING YOU FOR BUMPING A THREAD THIS OLD!

MrSpanner
08-01-2011, 09:25 AM
Total Drunken Druged Things.

You're really helping my view on the straight edge community. Thanks.

EDIT:
ITS AN EFFIN' TRAP! HOW DARE YOU GET ME TO POST SOMETHING OTHER THAN RIDICULING YOU FOR BUMPING A THREAD THIS OLD!

You snooze, you lose :p

OT: Who cares what kind of edge they are, as long as they make good music. But being ignorant enough to randomly call non-straight edge ''Total Drunken Druged Things'' is pretty fucking stupid tbh.

ZedChuva
08-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Music is like Religion and Politics. Should NEVER be debated, unless you want it to turn into an argument.

Guys I work with are die hard Rap fans. I'm a die hard Metal guy. They insist Rap is the best genre of music, where as I argue it's barely music at all. They aren't wrong, and neither am I. Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one, and every ones stinks except mine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and there is only one that matters, and that's mine. Your opinion is the only one that means anything, and if you don't believe that, then you have no right to an opinion.

I've always hated debates/debating. If you feel the need to debate your opinion, then you aren't defending your opinion to others, rather justifying it to yourself. When someone asks, "Why do you like Metal?" I just answer, "Cause I do, always have." That's never good enough for some, and to those people I say, "Tough shit, I don't need to defend my taste or opinion to anyone."

(steps down off soap box)

:drunk

Schism
08-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Just ask "what is your favorite music and why?" and "what is your least favorite?" then discuss. Band vs Band just starts a war >o<

Neverender
08-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Since you're edge, maybe a debate on what straight edge means? A lot of people have misconceptions that straight edge people are elitist dicks. On the other hand, I've always just considered it a personal choice - it has nothing to do with my attitude towards others.

If not that, maybe some debates on how certain genres began? Or which bands were more influential on modern scenes? For band versus band, just compare something to Metallica so you can watch a fanboy rage. It's hilarious.

Gorilla Stomper
08-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Since you're edge, maybe a debate on what straight edge means?

That won't end well either.

Neverender
08-01-2011, 07:24 PM
That won't end well either.
As long as nobody's trying to be a condescending asshole, I don't see how it could. And they don't necessarily have to debate whether it's right or not, they could also debate what it should or shouldn't entail (for example, some people (but not myself) say it should include veganism).

Gorilla Stomper
08-01-2011, 10:04 PM
It's too subjective to say what is and isn't straight edge. I myself don't drink, smoke, do drugs or fuck around, and that's as far as it goes with me. Anything beyond that seems unnecessary.

I've seen these arguments before though, and It ends the same way every time. Edge fools rag on the drinkers for "destroying" themselves, and the drinkers just fire back with the oh so original "you can't have fun if you're straight edge" line.

It's been debated so many times it's like hearing a broken record.

Tussell
08-02-2011, 01:05 AM
Unfortunately, my life has gotten to the point where drugs and alcohol improve the quality of my life... I have nothing against people who choose to abstain from said activities. In fact, I have a lot of respect for that, as I wish I could do the same to be honest, but some people just think their shit doesn't stink because they're straight edge. It pisses me off.

Gorilla Stomper
08-02-2011, 01:49 AM
Unfortunately, my life has gotten to the point where drugs and alcohol improve the quality of my life... I have nothing against people who choose to abstain from said activities. In fact, I have a lot of respect for that, as I wish I could do the same to be honest, but some people just think their shit doesn't stink because they're straight edge. It pisses me off.

And it's those people I have zero respect for. Fanatical edge morons are no better than the drug dealers they despise, and should be treated accordingly.

I know plenty of people who feel the same way you do bro, and there isn't a single bad bone in any of their bodies. Everyone has a choice to lead their life, their way, and if someone thinks they know better, fuck them, leave them in the little box of ignorance they've created for themselves.

I have two straight edge friends, because every other edge human I've met, has been a self-righteous dick head, and I don't stand for that.

Neverender
08-02-2011, 02:06 AM
It's too subjective to say what is and isn't straight edge. I myself don't drink, smoke, do drugs or fuck around, and that's as far as it goes with me. Anything beyond that seems unnecessary.
That's my view as well.

I've seen these arguments before though, and It ends the same way every time. Edge fools rag on the drinkers for "destroying" themselves, and the drinkers just fire back with the oh so original "you can't have fun if you're straight edge" line.

It's been debated so many times it's like hearing a broken record.
True. It's still not as bad as people arguing over which genres bands fall under, though... God, that's annoying.

And it's those people I have zero respect for. Fanatical edge morons are no better than the drug dealers they despise, and should be treated accordingly.

I know plenty of people who feel the same way you do bro, and there isn't a single bad bone in any of their bodies. Everyone has a choice to lead their life, their way, and if someone thinks they know better, fuck them, leave them in the little box of ignorance they've created for themselves.

I have two straight edge friends, because every other edge human I've met, has been a self-righteous dick head, and I don't stand for that.
Again, I completely agree. Whether people are edge or not doesn't matter. It's when people think they're better than everyone else for being a part of one group that's a problem.

Anyway, slightly back on topic, you could debate whether CDs will last as a viable form of sale compared to digital. You could also debate which album by bands with massive catalogs (Beatles, Rush, etc.) is their best work.

Maka
08-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Discuss the line between being an electronic music producer and a DJ. You'd be surprised at how many people dont know the difference.