PDA

View Full Version : Over rated band members

MGS Snake 47
08-25-2010, 08:43 PM
I posted this thread, To see your opinions on who thinks what band members are over-rated. Feel free to post what you want.

Joewl45
08-25-2010, 10:12 PM
Hayley Williams from Paramore. I don't even think she's that bad, but I think some people idolize her way too much. Plus I don't think she's as hot as everyone thinks she is :)

MGS Snake 47
08-25-2010, 10:15 PM
I agree with that, She used to be alright, Her voice got rather annoying though. And her voice in airplanes, is terrible. She used to be rather hot, but since she opened up to her relationship with Josh Franchesci, She just hasn't looked as nice.

Chevron411
08-26-2010, 01:08 AM
Mick Jagger, brilliant yes, but no recognition is given to Brian Jones today. I would say Peter Frampton, but he's not in a band per se. And I would agree about Hayley's voice, Riot was far better than Brand New Eyes vocally.

tehapoc
08-26-2010, 01:28 AM
Bono and The Edge?

Schism
08-26-2010, 01:43 AM
the dude from Fall out Boy...Pete Wentz? -____- yeah him. Lady GaGa is probably the most over rated singer these days. I agree with the singer from Paramore though..people do idolize her a bit much, dont see nuffin special. Lil Wayne???? Basically all members of slipknot...especially Corey and Joey:O and last...and i know people are going to flame me...Hendrix. He was AMAZING at the time but people bow to him as if he is alive and playing...he is not...he passed on and it seems like alot of people idolize him but dont know jack about him. Guess what im trying to say is "these days" Hendrix is over rated..people dig him for all the wrong reasons...talk about him as if they knew the guy and went to his shows -___- i dont know about you but i dont think a 12 year old kid today saw Hendrix play live..

DOOKH8R
08-26-2010, 03:41 AM
I posted this thread, To see your opinions on who thinks what band members are over-rated. Feel free to post what you want.

Do you mean members of a band who are over-rated or musicians in general? I know basically nothing about Paramore, but isn't Haley Williams the lead singer? If she sings all the songs, how is she over-rated?

Bono and The Edge?
I agree if your point is U2 sucks, but Bono and Edge arent over-rated members of a band. There would be no U2 without them.

Now for members of bands who are over-rated (e.g., group doesn't/didn't need them for success):
Ringo Star (Beatles)
Inspectah Deck (Wu-Tang Clan)
Joe Walsh (Eagles)
Dave Navarro (any band he is in)

SynysterChris
08-26-2010, 05:35 AM
All members of Metallica, ya I said it.

tehapoc
08-26-2010, 06:45 AM
Ringo Star (Beatles)
Joe Walsh (Eagles)

Is this because you didn't like Ringo Starr & His All-Starr Band?

ThaFireman
08-26-2010, 07:57 AM
Poor Ringo :(

exo-apollo
08-26-2010, 08:28 AM
Uh I don't know if he is highly rated but I have always found Daron Malakian to be a pain.

SharksInYourMouth
08-26-2010, 09:37 AM

I agree with you 100%

v_thorne
08-26-2010, 10:25 AM

Especially Lars Ulrich. Eeeeeewwwwwww.

exo-apollo
08-26-2010, 12:19 PM
Especially Lars Ulrich. Eeeeeewwwwwww.

WORD UP. Man looks like a frightened BIRD.

MGS Snake 47
08-26-2010, 12:28 PM
the dude from Fall out Boy...Pete Wentz? -____- yeah him. Lady GaGa is probably the most over rated singer these days. I agree with the singer from Paramore though..people do idolize her a bit much, dont see nuffin special. Lil Wayne???? Basically all members of slipknot...especially Corey and Joey:O and last...and i know people are going to flame me...Hendrix. He was AMAZING at the time but people bow to him as if he is alive and playing...he is not...he passed on and it seems like alot of people idolize him but dont know jack about him. Guess what im trying to say is "these days" Hendrix is over rated..people dig him for all the wrong reasons...talk about him as if they knew the guy and went to his shows -___- i dont know about you but i dont think a 12 year old kid today saw Hendrix play live..

I agree with you there, And Yes, Hayley williams does sing there songs, But she's over rated because people look up to her as if no one else can sing like that, Which would be the point of this discussion.

Revolver
08-26-2010, 12:30 PM
Slash. Although I admit that he can play decent guitar, he's not better than your average experienced guitar player. Don't know if he got noticed more because of the fact that he's in GNR or because of his top hat. :rolleyes:

MGS Snake 47
08-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Yeah. Tbh, I wasn't that much of a fun of guns n' roses. But he is rather good at guitar, Way too over-rated though.

Neverender
08-26-2010, 10:32 PM
Tom Morello from Rage Against the Machine/Audioslave. Everyone thinks he's such an amazing guitarist, but it's just the fact that he has a massive pedalboard that makes him sound good.

Hayley Willaims from Paramore. Generic voice, and yet people idolize her...

Oli Sykes from Bring Me the Horizon. Horrible vocalist, don't really know why people like him.

Slash from Guns N' Roses. He's good, but he doesn't deserve as much respect as he gets.

Justin Bieber. Do I need to explain?

Santaslave
08-27-2010, 01:06 AM
Any Metallica member, as stated before.

SynysterChris
08-27-2010, 01:42 AM
I dont know why all the hate for Slash, he is awesome, he has a sound unlike anyone else in my opinion especially in GNR. The only other person who reminds me of Slash is SynysterGates.

They just have this fast but smoth melody in the way they play. That's just how I hear it and why I like them.

Haley is just a fad, like all other bands like them. Will be big for a few then fall of the face of the earth. It also maybe because she is a red head, real or not guys just dig that for whatever reason.

Also the lead singer of Disturbed, guy only can do like the OOOooOOOOOoOahahahahahaha. Thing in like every song, guy's got and ok voice but really he sings like the same song every song.

Chevron411
08-27-2010, 04:53 AM
It also maybe because she is a red head, real or not guys just dig that for whatever reason.
I think she's actually a strawberry blonde, not sure on that though. Don't knock the ginger though, Simone Simons from Epica, ginger. Jonsu (Indica): ginger. Charlotte Wessels lead singer for Delain, kind of a sandy auburn (when she doesn't want to be a brunette). Reba McEntire, take a guess. And as a kicker Miss April 2002 Heather Carolin (not a singer, but still gorgeous).

DakidJose
08-27-2010, 05:17 AM
Damn, what's with the Metallica hate? I guess that's what they get for being the greatest metal band ever. ;)

First names that came up.

Joey Jordison
Kurt Cobain
Dream Theater
Travis Barker
Dave Mustaine
Joe Satriani

DOOKH8R
08-27-2010, 05:25 AM
Kurt Cobain

YouTube- Family Guy - Stewie "Say WHAAAT?" (HD)

DeATh MeLOn
08-27-2010, 09:39 AM
Tom Morello from Rage Against the Machine/Audioslave. Everyone thinks he's such an amazing guitarist, but it's just the fact that he has a massive pedalboard that makes him sound good.

Considering pedalboards arent easy to use and everyone knows he uses them its not exactly a secret. He is a massively influencal guitarist he deserves what he gets since he isnt rated as like the best guitarist ever.

OT: Chart music. All of it. Simple.

Neverender
08-27-2010, 12:14 PM
Considering pedalboards arent easy to use and everyone knows he uses them its not exactly a secret. He is a massively influencal guitarist he deserves what he gets since he isnt rated as like the best guitarist ever.

OT: Chart music. All of it. Simple.

Pedalboards are amazingly easy to use, you just stomp on the effect you want to turn on or off, or if it's something like whammy or volume, you just move your foot back and forth on the treadle to change the intensity of the effect. I should know, I have one.

And I agree with you completely on chart music.

I dont know why all the hate for Slash, he is awesome, he has a sound unlike anyone else in my opinion especially in GNR. The only other person who reminds me of Slash is SynysterGates.
It's not that Slash isn't good, it's that he's overrated. Compared to Michael Angel Batio and Buckethead, Slash isn't even in the same league of skill. I will give you that he was more influential, though.

Damn, what's with the Metallica hate? I guess that's what they get for being the greatest metal band ever. ;)

First names that came up.

Kurt Cobain
Dream Theater
Travis Barker
Joe Satriani
That made me laugh. You say Metallica is the best metal band ever, but that all of those people are overrated? Nirvana was the flagship band for Generation X, Dream Theater has some of the best musicians in the industry, Travis Barker is at least as good as Lars Ulrich, and Joe Satriani can play better than Kirk Hammett or James Hetfield.

Hero Of Acre
08-27-2010, 07:09 PM
Herman Li and Sam Totman from Dragonforce, this really requires no explanation. And so is Jack White, I mean I like The White Stripes and all it just seems like most fans thing Jack White is the be all end all guitarist.

And Never, Kurt Cobain is overrated; he was a terrible guitarist and singer. I'm not saying that I don't like Nirvana, but he wasn't a good musician.

tehapoc
08-27-2010, 08:55 PM
And Never, Kurt Cobain is overrated; he was a terrible guitarist and singer. I'm not saying that I don't like Nirvana, but he wasn't a good musician.

Cobain's death is blown out of proportion. Much like other musicians and celebrities. If they didn't talk about Cobain's death for about six months on the news, I'm pretty sure Nirvana wouldn't have been as popular. Somehow, Nirvana managed to overshadow all the other bands in the Seattle grunge movement. Good bands, like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains and Mudhoney don't really get any recognition compared to Nirvana. And for that, yeah, Kurt Cobain is definitely overrated.

Neverender
08-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Kurt Cobain is overrated; he was a terrible guitarist and singer. I'm not saying that I don't like Nirvana, but he wasn't a good musician.

I agree with you on the overrated part. While he did make good music, other grunge bands of the time were just as good (Soundgarden, Mudhoney, Alice in Chains, etc.).

As for the terrible part, no. His guitar playing was a lot of power chords, which is pretty much what every vocalist/guitarist does, so nothing special there. He could play a guitar at a moderate skill level, that doesn't make him terrible. As for his vocals, they were definitely unique. He had a great, gravelly sound to his voice, and he could use that sound to blend with the music very well, which is a rarity nowadays.

Hero Of Acre
08-27-2010, 10:18 PM
It's not because of the power chords that he's a terrible guitarist, it was that he played so sloppily. Mind you it wouldn't have been the same if he could actually play well.

Neverender
08-28-2010, 12:30 AM
He played sloppy live, although I'm guessing that was (at least partially) because of his drug habits.

I can't comment on how he played in the studio, though. He could've been just as bad (because a major studio can clean anything up to sound good), or he could've done an entire song in one take.

mortug
08-28-2010, 01:19 AM
Slash. Although I admit that he can play decent guitar, he's not better than your average experienced guitar player. Don't know if he got noticed more because of the fact that he's in GNR or because of his top hat. :rolleyes:
wooow wow wow wow.. hold on a sec? what? Slash, an average experienced guitar player? first of all, Slash was not average. why? because he did his own thing. guitarists now a days all sound the same. there is nothing new going on anymore. all "skilled" guitar freaks today are just wanking their string.
what Slash did back in the old G'n'R days, no one else were close doing.

but i ca agree, Slash today, is overrated in his new projects ;)

cheers from a guitar player for 16 years...

DOOKH8R
08-28-2010, 01:29 AM
Cobain's death is blown out of proportion. Much like other musicians and celebrities. If they didn't talk about Cobain's death for about six months on the news, I'm pretty sure Nirvana wouldn't have been as popular. Somehow, Nirvana managed to overshadow all the other bands in the Seattle grunge movement. Good bands, like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains and Mudhoney don't really get any recognition compared to Nirvana. And for that, yeah, Kurt Cobain is definitely overrated.

I call BS. I am one of the few around here that got to experience Nirvana live and the pain of Cobain's death, and I will never forget April 8, 1994. Blown out of proportion is not an accurate description. Chapel Hill, NC (the east coast epicenter of Generation X) wept as a whole. The media coverage was nowhere near as extensive today for the death of anyone.
FYI, I am also old enough to remember December 8, 1980 and the pain the nation felt then. Cobain revolutionized music for my generation the way Lennon did for my parents.
Across all genres of music, through all races and income levels, Cobain's words echoed the sentiment of youthful angst.

Chevron411
08-28-2010, 03:17 AM
Across all genres of music, through all races and income levels, Cobain's words echoed the sentiment of youthful angst.
That is a generalization, yes Cobain had an impact to the public, as did Mozart. Being a founder of the grunge sound definitely deserves respect though. His death bears a slight resemblance to that of the lead singer of Mayhem, Per Ohlin, in 1991.

because he did his own thing. guitarists now a days all sound the same. Own thing as in, what (minus the string wank criteria)? I can list some contemporary guitarists with more skill and creativity and without a top hat.

DOOKH8R
08-28-2010, 03:38 AM
That is a generalization, yes Cobain had an impact to the public, as did Mozart.

Despite being a generalization, it is a first-hand, experienced fact.

His death bears a slight resemblance to that of the lead singer of Mayhem, Per Ohlin, in 1991.

Wow, that does bring back some memories. Very little coverage here. I remember a print story entitled "Dead found Dead" and his note: something to the effect of Sorry about all the blood.

tehapoc
08-28-2010, 04:56 AM
Andrew Wood and Layne Staley both very significant in the grunge movement didn't get any recognition in comparison to Kurt Cobain. I don't think Cobain was a better frontman than either of them.

Santaslave
08-28-2010, 09:27 AM
Andrew Wood and Layne Staley both very significant in the grunge movement didn't get any recognition in comparison to Kurt Cobain. I don't think Cobain was a better frontman than either of them.

I agree.. Staley was a much better vocalist than Kurt Cobain was.

MrSpanner
08-28-2010, 09:51 AM
Michael Jackson (He was in a band (Jackson 5) and imo he always sounded like a wee girl)
Paul McCartney (Arrogant git and John Lennon was FAR better)
Noel Gallagher (So unlikeable and less talented than his bro Liam)

Usernamea
08-28-2010, 12:11 PM
Fuck you all.

Metallica rules the world. Metallica is the light. Metallica got 1.6 million people in a single concert. Overrated my ass.

And for the record some POS bands/singers that are overrated are Slipknot, MCR, Green day, Nirvana, Lady gaga, Justin gay, U2 , etc...

Pretty much almost everything that is shown on MTV these days is overrated and sucks donkey dick.

Chevron411
08-28-2010, 05:10 PM
Metallica rules the world.
Really, then explain to me why a band you proclaim to be so good has never headlined at Wacken, like Maiden. Actually how come they've never played there at all, even once, in 20 years. It just goes to show what sort band they are, pretentious. At least Dio had the balls to play at Tuska in '04.

Santaslave
08-28-2010, 06:00 PM
Fuck you all.

Metallica rules the world. Metallica is the light. Metallica got 1.6 million people in a single concert. Overrated my ass.

And for the record some POS bands/singers that are overrated are Slipknot, MCR, Green day, Nirvana, Lady gaga, Justin gay, U2 , etc...

Pretty much almost everything that is shown on MTV these days is overrated and sucks donkey dick.

Lmfao I'm not even gonna point out the fail in this post.

Neverender
08-28-2010, 06:34 PM
First post, and now he's a banned user. That post fails so hard that it just turned into a win.

Teh BeZ
08-28-2010, 06:50 PM
From bands that I don't like I'd say:

Noel and his brother form Oasis all the chavvy people idolise him/them beyond belief.
Dave Grohl, he is very talented and all but as the thread topic is entitled, he is very over-rated - to the extent that if someone who thought he was god (and I know a few) they would probably of just had a heart-attack after reading this.

From bands that I do like:

Oli Sykes - I love Bring me the Horizon, like lots, but he has became such an accessory in the scene kids and 'emo's' that he is just the face of the band - these people dont say "OMG I'm going to see BMTH" they say "OMG I'm going to see Oli!!"

Hayley Williams - It's like she was never in a band and has only now just been discovered.

Well that's my 2 cents to this conversation =P

SoleAssassin
08-29-2010, 11:24 AM
Now for members of bands who are over-rated (e.g., group doesn't/didn't need them for success):
Inspectah Deck (Wu-Tang Clan)

You gotta be kidding me. Deck is HIGHLY UNDERRATED. He merks every verse in the Wu albums.

Afro Ninja
08-29-2010, 07:08 PM
Slash
Kirk Hammett
Joey Jordison
Every member of Korn

Now, I know that some people are going to say Kerry King and Jeff from Slayer (Probably mostly Kerry) but what people need to understand is that Kerry and Jeff can play the kind of solos you guys like if they wanted to. Slayer's solos are meant to sound like that because they're meant to sound well...creepy.

But one thing I will say is that Jeff Hanneman is a lot better at solos than Kerry! Here's proof:

YouTube- The Antichrist - Slayer Live @ Studio 54

By the way, does anyone agree that Kerry looks badass with hair? :p

Gorilla Stomper
08-29-2010, 09:19 PM
I'll say this quickly and bluntly.

Kerry King and Dave Pisstaine.

ooo0ooooooo0ooo
08-30-2010, 02:20 AM
Steve Vai
Kurt Cobain
Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Paige
Travis Barker

ooo0ooooooo0ooo
08-30-2010, 02:27 AM
Michael Jackson (He was in a band (Jackson 5) and imo he always sounded like a wee girl)
Paul McCartney (Arrogant git and John Lennon was FAR better)
Noel Gallagher (So unlikeable and less talented than his bro Liam)

Umm, Michael Jackson? He was the most innovative performer of our time. He's not overrated at all. He's just amazing. And this is comming from a person who doesn't even listen to his music or follow his work. Oh, and I'm sure you sounded like you were a girl when you were around the age of 10 as well.

Leave room in this thread for the truly overrated musicians.

Heres one I left out earlier because I don't think of him as an artist... Lil Wayne

Chevron411
08-30-2010, 02:40 AM
I forgot about Lil' Wayne as well. Horrible voice, they have to layer a synth to make it sound good.

You know they said The Beatles were innovative, that didn't stop them from being overrated.

rvlution
08-30-2010, 11:48 PM
Brian Johnson from AC/DC. He's good until you compare him to Bon Scott. Scott had a certain irreplaceable attitude.

I like Radiohead quite a bit (Muse is better though) but Thom Yorke just kind of annoys me sometimes.

Afro Ninja
08-31-2010, 04:46 AM
I'll say this quickly and bluntly.

Kerry King and Dave Pisstaine. Dave? I mean I can understand that you may think his singing is overrated (Even though I don't, I like his singing) but how is it possible to say his guitar playing is overrated? He's seriously one of the most technical guitarists ever! Let me guess, you also think Marty Friedman is overrated? How about Chris Poland, huh, do you think he's overrated too!? Oh and please don't tell me that you think Dimebag (The best metal guitarist ever!) is overrated! Wait, is it even possible to think that Dime is overrated???

Afro Ninja
08-31-2010, 04:55 AM
Pedalboards are amazingly easy to use, you just stomp on the effect you want to turn on or off, or if it's something like whammy or volume, you just move your foot back and forth on the treadle to change the intensity of the effect. I should know, I have one.

And I agree with you completely on chart music.

It's not that Slash isn't good, it's that he's overrated. Compared to Michael Angel Batio and Buckethead, Slash isn't even in the same league of skill. I will give you that he was more influential, though.

That made me laugh. You say Metallica is the best metal band ever, but that all of those people are overrated? Nirvana was the flagship band for Generation X, Dream Theater has some of the best musicians in the industry, Travis Barker is at least as good as Lars Ulrich, and Joe Satriani can play better than Kirk Hammett or James Hetfield.
And you know what's funny? Joe Satriani actually used to be Kirk's guitar teacher.

How the hell is Dream Theater overrated?

XxBlueSpade2xX
08-31-2010, 07:51 AM
Fuck you all.

EDIT: LOL, I've never seen a banned user with 1 post. So very funny.

Metallica has had some great moments, but they are overrated IMO. I'm not saying they are bad, but they have had some seriously shitty albums.

On another topic, Kurt Kobain was a musical genius. His vocals weren't supposed to be great. His vocals fit the attitude of the band and the style that Nirvana was striving for. I don't think Kobain (or Nirvana) are overrated at all. I think a lot of their more commercially successful songs are over rated, but "In Utero" is an absolutely amazing album. Songs like "Serve the Servants" and "Pennyroyal Tea" don't get as much play as "Smells Like Teen Spirit", but to me those two songs personify the grunge movement.

Layne Staley, Chris Cornell, and Eddie Vedder all had superior vocal talent. And had some seriously skilled bandmates. I love them all, but Nirvana WAS grunge.

You gotta be kidding me. Deck is HIGHLY UNDERRATED. He merks every verse in the Wu albums.

Abso-fucking-lutely!! Inspectah is one of the best members of WTC.
YouTube- Inspectah Deck - "The Champion"

Neverender
08-31-2010, 11:32 AM
And you know what's funny? Joe Satriani actually used to be Kirk's guitar teacher.

How the hell is Dream Theater overrated?

The person I was quoting said that Metallica was underrated and that Dream Theater and Joe Satriani are overrated, not me. I completely agree with you, though, any member of Dream Theater could outplay any member of Metallica.

Santaslave
08-31-2010, 01:17 PM
He's seriously one of the most technical guitarists ever! -That's what you think, though he really is far from that.

Oh and please don't tell me that you think Dimebag (The best metal guitarist ever!) is overrated! Wait, is it even possible to think that Dime is overrated??? -Uhh yeah, Dimebag is terribly overrated, he's an alright player, but really overrated.

Replies in bold text.
And Dimebag being "the best metal guitarist ever" is just an opinion..

dd316
08-31-2010, 07:56 PM
Say wha? Nirvana was beyond popular when Kurt was alive. His death and its coverage didn't make them any larger than they already were, it just made Kurt a household name to old people that had no idea what grunge even was.

I agree with you on Mudhoney, those guys worked their asses off and never really made it big. But everyone else you mentioned gets plenty of recognition, their band members just aren't "interesting" characters like Kurt.

Gorilla Stomper
09-01-2010, 01:40 AM
He's seriously one of the most technical guitarists ever!

Wrong. There are many other guitarists who are ten times more technical than him. Ever listened to Necrophagist? Or The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza? No? Then shut up.

Marty Friedman

Who?

Chris Poland

Who?

Dimebag

In a whole different league to anyone you could mention.

You are definitely 13 years old.

Afro Ninja
09-01-2010, 05:58 AM
Replies in bold text.
And Dimebag being "the best metal guitarist ever" is just an opinion..
Dimebag, overrated??? :eek:
The person I was quoting said that Metallica was underrated and that Dream Theater and Joe Satriani are overrated, not me. I completely agree with you, though, any member of Dream Theater could outplay any member of Metallica. I wasn't talking to you bro, I was agreeing with you.
Wrong. There are many other guitarists who are ten times more technical than him. Ever listened to Necrophagist? Or The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza? No? Then shut up.

Who?

Who?

In a whole different league to anyone you could mention.

You are definitely 13 years old.

I know Necrophagist. Necrophagist are definatley technical (Muhammed is one hell of a guitarist) but in my opinion the most technical death metal band is probably...well, Death. Death has probably some of the most complex riffs I have ever attempted to play on guitar. Listen to Spirit Crusher for example (The drums are insane on that song too).

You call me 13 years old and you don't even know Marty Friedman? Ha wow!

By the way, when I said Dave was technical, I meant he was technical at solos dude.

Edit: Shit, I haven't listened to Necrophagist in a while though. I'm going to start listening to them again.

Edit: They also reminded me a little of Nile, which I completely forgot about too!

tehapoc
09-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Say wha? Nirvana was beyond popular when Kurt was alive. His death and its coverage didn't make them any larger than they already were, it just made Kurt a household name to old people that had no idea what grunge even was.

I agree with you on Mudhoney, those guys worked their asses off and never really made it big. But everyone else you mentioned gets plenty of recognition, their band members just aren't "interesting" characters like Kurt.

Yeah, but none of these bands really carried over well to the 00s. When I talk to kids about music the only thing they know about the 90s is Green Day and Nirvana. There's literally no recognition for other bands.

And more overrated band members? Billie Joe Armstrong.

dd316
09-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Yeah, but none of these bands really carried over well to the 00s. When I talk to kids about music the only thing they know about the 90s is Green Day and Nirvana. There's literally no recognition for other bands.

And more overrated band members? Billie Joe Armstrong.
Well, Soundgarden broke up, and Layne Staley died, so that's why their popularity waned. AIC wasn't as big as Nirvana so when their singer died it wasn't as big a deal. Plus a shotgun blast to the head is always more interesting than an overdose.

Pearl Jam has a Grateful Dead/Phish/Dave Matthews cult-like following. Their new albums don't get as much airplay or are as front and center as Three Days Grace (*shudder*), but they're easily more popular than they've ever been.

And I agree with Billie Joe Armstrong. Green Day's also bigger than ever, but their current stuff is totally manufactured.

Gorilla Stomper
09-01-2010, 07:25 PM
I know Necrophagist. Necrophagist are definatley technical (Muhammed is one hell of a guitarist) but in my opinion the most technical death metal band is probably...well, Death. Death has probably some of the most complex riffs I have ever attempted to play on guitar. Listen to Spirit Crusher for example (The drums are insane on that song too).

Brain Drill > Death and Necrophagist.

You call me 13 years old and you don't even know Marty Friedman? Ha wow!

I looked him up. Here's why I don't know who the fuck he is, I don't listen to Megafail, never have done, and never will do.

By the way, when I said Dave was technical, I meant he was technical at solos dude.

I've heard better... Far better.

Santaslave
09-01-2010, 07:47 PM
By the way, when I said Dave was technical, I meant he was technical at solos dude

Check out Jeff Loomis.

Afro Ninja
09-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Brain Drill > Death and Necrophagist.

I looked him up. Here's why I don't know who the fuck he is, I don't listen to Megafail, never have done, and never will do. And again, you say that I'm 13??? Well only a 13 year old would make up stupid insult-names for bands like "Megafail".

I've heard better... Far better.
As in better or more technical?

And again, you say that I'm 13??? Well, only a "13 year old" would make up pathetic insult-names for bands like "Megafail".

Even if you don't listen to Megadeth, you should've known about him. He's a solo guitarist as well.

Afro Ninja
09-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Check out Jeff Loomis.
I've heard about him but haven't really listened to him. What song would you suggest by him?

Gorilla Stomper
09-01-2010, 09:26 PM
As in better or more technical?

Both.

And again, you say that I'm 13??? Well, only a "13 year old" would make up pathetic insult-names for bands like "Megafail".

Or an 18 year old who really fucking hates Megadeth...

Even if you don't listen to Megadeth, you should've known about him. He's a solo guitarist as well.

No, I really shouldn't have, because I really don't give a shit about anyone remotely involved with Megadeth or Dave Mustaine.

Afro Ninja
09-01-2010, 10:58 PM
Both.

Or an 18 year old who really fucking hates Megadeth...

No, I really shouldn't have, because I really don't give a shit about anyone remotely involved with Megadeth or Dave Mustaine.
Well, that's your opinion dude.

Why do you hate Megadeth so much? Because when you say it, you sound like you hate them personally.

Gorilla Stomper
09-01-2010, 11:11 PM
Why do you hate Megadeth so much?

Because their music is the throwback of 80's thrash, and Dave Mustaine is an arrogant piece of shit.

Afro Ninja
09-02-2010, 12:05 AM
Because their music is the throwback of 80's thrashThis is seriously the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard in my life! So, you're telling me that you don't like 80's thrash metal!? What, you want Megadeth to do what Metallica did!? And actually, Megadeth sounds nothing like they did in the 80s.

YouTube- Megadeth-Holy Wars...The Punishment Due(Studio Version)

YouTube- Megadeth - Trust

And I actually like both songs (Well actually, I love Holy Wars, not just like.) And even if Megadeth did still sound like they did in the 80s, so what!? The 80's thrash was the shit!

There are still a shit load of bands that still sound like 80's thrash as well. Slayer, Testament, Destruction, Exodus, Kreator, Sodom, etc. And they all still kick ass!

People actually want Metallica, Megadeth, and Anthrax to go back to their thrash roots.
,and Dave Mustaine is an arrogant piece of shit.And why is that?

Gorilla Stomper
09-02-2010, 12:39 AM
This is seriously the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard in my life! So, you're telling me that you don't like 80's thrash metal!? What, you want Megadeth to do what Metallica did!? And actually, Megadeth sounds nothing like they did in the 80s.

Did I say I don't like 80's thrash? No, I said Megadeth are the throwback of 80's trash, in other words, the bottom of the barrel, is this making any sense to you?

You know, for someone who is vehemently defending themself over accusations of being 13, you aren't making this any better for yourself, you sound stupider in ever post you make.

There are still a shit load of bands that still sound like 80's thrash as well. Slayer, Testament, Destruction, Exodus, Kreator, Sodom, etc. And they all still kick ass!

All of those bands are infinitely better than Megadeth. Why? Because they're not boring, and don't have a whiney bitch for a frontman.

People actually want Metallica, Megadeth, and Anthrax to go back to their thrash roots.

Metallica are (sort of), and Anthrax are fine as they are. Megadeth are still and probably always will be about the money.

And why is that?

The man thinks he pioneered thrash metal, when all he's doing is driving it into the ground.

In reality, thrash probably wouldn't exist if it weren't for bands like Venom, so he can shut up.

Afro Ninja
09-02-2010, 12:48 AM
Did I say I don't like 80's thrash? No, I said Megadeth are the throwback of 80's trash, in other words, the bottom of the barrel, is this making any sense to you?

You know, for someone who is vehemently defending themself over accusations of being 13, you aren't making this any better for yourself, you sound stupider in ever post you make.

All of those bands are infinitely better than Megadeth. Why? Because they're not boring, and don't have a whiney bitch for a frontman.

Metallica are (sort of), and Anthrax are fine as they are. Megadeth are still and probably always will be about the money.

The man thinks he pioneered thrash metal, when all he's doing is driving it into the ground.

In reality, thrash probably wouldn't exist if it weren't for bands like Venom, so he can shut up. You said throwback of 80's thrash??? "Throwback" means old, old-fashioned, old-styled. Well, that's what I learned of what "Throwback" means.

Whatever dude, I don't want to get this thread locked.

Chevron411
09-02-2010, 02:11 AM
I think someone's a little full of their opinion:rolleyes:

Megadeth exists, they have fans, deal with it.

Another one to the list. Rob Halford, despite the fact he's a bad ass, I don't want to see him every other episode of 'That Metal Show'.
Bradley Nowell of Sublime, every time I would critique the style I would get lambasted by some Ska fan about the history of this guy.

Afro Ninja
09-02-2010, 02:57 AM

Another one to the list. Rob Halford, despite the fact he's a bad ass, I don't want to see him every other episode of 'That Metal Show'.
Bradley Nowell of Sublime, every time I would critique the style I would get lambasted by some Ska fan about the history of this guy.
That doesn't really make Rob overrated.

Gorilla Stomper
09-02-2010, 03:21 AM

I think someone isn't realising that I fucking hate Megadeth more than most things, and that I can bitch and whine about them as much as I fucking want.

I also think someone is trying to re-ignite a dead argument that happened between me and Afro Ninja. Butt out and fuck off.

Agreeing with Afro Ninja (Strangely) that doesn't make him overrated, and the way I see it, he has the right to be on that show all the time.

Afro Ninja
09-02-2010, 03:32 AM
I think someone isn't realising that I fucking hate Megadeth more than most things, and that I can bitch and whine about them as much as I fucking want.

I also think someone is trying to re-ignite a dead argument that happened between me and Afro Ninja. Butt out and fuck off.

Agreeing with Afro Ninja (Strangely) that doesn't make him overrated, and the way I see it, he has the right to be on that show all the time.
Calm your swearing down a little dude or else you're going to get an infraction and most likely get this thread locked.

Gorilla Stomper
09-02-2010, 03:43 AM
Calm your swearing down a little dude or else you're going to get an infraction and most likely get this thread locked.

I've said far worse in other threads. I more than regularly drop a C-Bomb.

And F-Bombs have pretty much been integrated into my vocabulary.

Afro Ninja
09-02-2010, 03:48 AM
I've said far worse in other threads. I more than regularly drop a C-Bomb.

And F-Bombs have pretty much been integrated into my vocabulary.
Very well then.

Gorilla Stomper
09-02-2010, 03:50 AM
Very well then.

And so ends another of our great debates.

On topic. Thought of another. Bruce Dickinson, and the whole of Iron Maiden for that matter.

Afro Ninja
09-02-2010, 03:59 AM
And so ends another of our great debates.

On topic. Thought of another. Bruce Dickinson, and the whole of Iron Maiden for that matter.
What the hell is wrong with you!? You're an idiot!

Gorilla Stomper
09-02-2010, 04:16 AM
What the hell is wrong with you!? You're an idiot!

FUCK YEAH!

Argument 2.0 GO!

You do realise, you are causing ALL of these arguments we have, don't you?

Do explain why I'm an idiot for thinking Bruce Dickinson is overrated. Are you saying my opinion is wrong? Are you actually saying that something that cannot possibly be wrong, is wrong?

I simply think he is hyped up too much as one of the greatest vocalists in history. I disagree with the hype.

You could have merely disagreed and done away with it. But no, you had to assume something is wrong with me, and that I'm an idiot.

The inevitable locking of this thread is on you. I might be the one ranting but I'm only doing it because YOU set me off. Congratulations.

Afro Ninja
09-02-2010, 04:19 AM
FUCK YEAH!

Argument 2.0 GO!

You do realise, you are causing ALL of these arguments we have, don't you?

Do explain why I'm an idiot for thinking Bruce Dickinson is overrated. Are you saying my opinion is wrong? Are you actually saying that something that cannot possibly be wrong, is wrong?

I simply think he is hyped up too much as one of the greatest vocalists in history. I disagree with the hype.

You could have merely disagreed and done away with it. But no, you had to assume something is wrong with me, and that I'm an idiot.

The inevitable locking of this thread is on you. I might be the one ranting but I'm only doing it because YOU set me off. Congratulations. Calm down! It was a joke! I just wanted to see what you would say! Plus I think we already talked about Iron Maiden before.

Edit: Plus I have actually never heard anyone call Bruce the best singer. Usually when it comes to metal singers, everyone says it's Rob Halford that's the best.

DOOKH8R
09-02-2010, 05:06 AM
Gonna have to bring out a classic for this:
http://cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/4/Vader-6.jpg

OT. I don't think anyone who can wail on guitar, bust the drums or sing the dulcet metal tones for all these years is overrated. They are actual Rock Stars (Bruce, Rob, Dave, Kirk, etc. - all remarkably talented.
Now Pop musicians-that's who is overrated.

Santaslave
09-02-2010, 09:54 AM
I've heard about him but haven't really listened to him. What song would you suggest by him?

Check out "Miles of Machines" or "Shouting Fire at a Funeral", he's also in the band called Nevermore, check them out too.

Chevron411
09-02-2010, 03:55 PM
@Gorilla: I didn't realize you guys had epic arguments like this, so I'll just sit back, and watch the flames.

Edit: Plus I have actually never heard anyone call Bruce the best singer. Usually when it comes to metal singers, everyone says it's Rob Halford that's the best.
I'd say they're about equal I just prefer Maiden over Priest.

DOOKH8R
09-03-2010, 12:03 AM
Saw this and was reminded who the most overrated musician of all time is
http://verydemotivational.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/bonop1.jpg

tehapoc
09-03-2010, 02:42 AM
Saw this and was reminded who the most overrated musician of all time is
http://verydemotivational.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/bonop1.jpg

Page 1, Post #5.

Gorilla Stomper
09-03-2010, 03:31 AM
Page 1, Post #5.

OH NOES! HE POSTED THE SAME ASSHOLE AS YOU!

QUICK REFER HIM BACK TO YOUR POST!

Why do you care? Seriously.

DOOKH8R
09-03-2010, 03:44 AM
Page 1, Post #5.

So you are ragging on me for agreeing with you?

I wash my hands of this thread

Afro Ninja
09-04-2010, 02:04 AM
Check out "Miles of Machines" or "Shouting Fire at a Funeral", he's also in the band called Nevermore, check them out too. He's actually not that bad! And yeah I know Nevermore.
@Gorilla: I didn't realize you guys had epic arguments like this, so I'll just sit back, and watch the flames.

I'd say they're about equal I just prefer Maiden over Priest.
As do I.

DarkAssassin13
09-24-2010, 07:11 PM
Lars-Metallica
M Shadows-A7X
Steven Tyler

Lava Tonsil
09-24-2010, 07:30 PM
Axl Rose ranks as the most overrated band member for me. It's widely accepted he's an arrogant a-hole but people still seem to dig whatever he does regardless.

Poida
09-26-2010, 01:23 AM
Brian Johnson from AC/DC. He's good until you compare him to Bon Scott. Scott had a certain irreplaceable attitude.
Which is why its so ridiculous to compare the 2 in general.
Brians done an amazing job considering the shoes he had to fill.
Bon was a legend, noone can truly replace him but thats why I respect Johnson, he never tried to be another Bon, he was himself, brought ac/dc back from potential oblivion basically.

mr hedshots
10-21-2010, 02:23 AM
Ringo Starr from the Beatles.
He's pretty aweseome, but face it, he wasn't as good of a drummer as everyone says he is.

Eviltoastman
10-26-2010, 06:44 AM
Richey Edwards - Manic Street Preachers.

littlemissymoo
02-04-2011, 03:30 PM
Axl Rose & Bruce Dickinson (after what he was like at an Ozzfest he played)

dd316
02-07-2011, 05:41 PM
After yesterday's debacle... ALL of the Black Eyed Peas!

Att11cus
02-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Alex from all time low is so overrated!:locked

NeuroticAlias
02-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Jimmy Page.

Great guitarist but absolutely awfull live. Can't hit a note if he tried.

All to Atrophy
02-08-2011, 09:34 AM
Ben Moody, formerly from Evanescence, currently We Are the Fallen

k1ng Brownie
02-12-2011, 04:10 AM
Is this because you didn't like Ringo Starr & His All-Starr Band? LOL, so when did ringo become mentally ill?

Overrated are the singers on those emo bands like my chemical romance/panic at the disco/fallout boy