PDA

View Full Version : Josh Hancock R.I.P

IMportdreams95
04-29-2007, 04:51 PM
As a huge baseball fan this is hard to swallow. I heard this on the Radio on the way home from church. They said "Josh Hancock was in a Tragic Car Accident". I was like well I hope he's ok, at least they didn't say "Josh Hancock was in a Fatal Car Accident". But when i got home and checked mlb.com i was shocked. Josh Passed away, and will be greatly missed by his frineds, family, Cardinals Organization and Baseball fans every where.

If you guys could please keep his family in your prayers that would be great.

IMport

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j28/midwestrecords/In%20Memory/JoshHancockcopy.png

Mothershed_52
04-29-2007, 05:44 PM
Thanks for starting this.

I am, as my whole family, are avid Cardinal fans, I watched him during the World Series last year and watched him pitch yesterday as the Cardinals lost. Though I cannot ever begin to understand how people close to him are feeling. My thoughts and prayers are with his family as well as the Cardinal Organization. I think it's the right thing to have tonight's game postponed. R.I.P. Josh Hancock.

Shaaady Souljah
04-29-2007, 06:24 PM
a sad day in baseball indeed.
he will be missed...

Smokez
04-30-2007, 04:36 AM
ST. LOUIS — The St. Louis Cardinals were visibly frightened four days ago, wondering why pitcher Josh Hancock still wasn't at the ballpark for an afternoon game against the Cincinnati Reds.
Teammates kept calling his cellphone. Cardinals officials telephoned. They must have been 20 calls. Hancock, who had been out late with another bachelor on the team, groggily answered.
Oops. He thought it was a night game. The first pitch was scheduled for noon at Busch Stadium.
"We were all a little nervous," said closer Jason Isringhausen, who was on the Cardinals five years ago when pitcher Darryl Kile died in his sleep before the Cardinals' day game against the Chicago Cubs. "Everybody was trying to reach him.
"We told him, "We don't care if you're late. We want to know that you're OK.'

"It's different here because of what happened with Darryl."
Sunday morning, there would be no relief.
Hancock was dead.
Hancock, 29, was killed in a car accident in St. Louis, dying instantly after crashing into a parked tow truck on the highway. The tow truck driver, who stopped to assist a motorist, said his emergency lights were flashing and that he kept honking. Hancock apparently never saw him. Police said there were no signs of excessive speeding or open alcohol containers. An autopsy is scheduled.
Sunday's Cardinals-Cubs game was postponed.
"That's what makes it so eerie, because of what happened to Darryl," Chicago Cubs general manager Jim Hendry said. "To have it happen again, to the same organization, that's really tragic. I'm sure they're going to have a tough time dealing with it."
Cardinals manager Tony La Russa and general manager Walt Jocketty addressed the team Sunday before leaving for Milwaukee, telling them they will travel Thursday on their off-day to Tupelo, Miss., to attend Hancock's funeral. They also shared memories of Hancock during the meeting while counselors and their team chaplain were made available.
"He was a lot of fun and a terrific teammate," La Russa said. "Trust me when I tell you, this is brutal to go through."
Said Cardinals general manager Walt Jocketty: "Josh had a lot of friends in that clubhouse. You talk about it being a family, and it is a family."
Several of the Cardinals, in fact, were scheduled to attend broadcaster Bob Costas' fundraiser Saturday night in St. Louis. Costas and actor Billy Crystal were in the Cardinals' clubhouse mingling with players the previous night, but it was unknown whether Hancock attended the event.
Hancock, whose closest friends on the team were outfielder Chris Duncan and relievers Brad Thompson and Adam Wainwright, left the clubhouse for the final time Saturday in an upbeat mood. He had been told he was the starting pitcher Tuesday against Milwaukee after pitching three innings of relief Saturday against the Cubs.
Hancock played for four major league clubs. He went 3-3 with a 4.09 ERA in 62 regular-season appearances for the Cardinals last season and pitched in three postseason games. He was 0-1 with a 3.55 ERA in eight games this season.

CAREER STATS: Josh Hancock (http://fantasybaseball.usatoday.com/content/player.asp?sport=MLB&id=3539)
Teams and fans remember him at ballparks around the country. The Cleveland Indians observed a moment of silence before their game against the Baltimore Orioles, with Hancock's picture displayed on a giant scoreboard. There also was a moment of silence for Hancock at Yankee Stadium.
"It's tragic," said Los Angeles Angels pitcher Chris Bootcheck, Hancock's former teammate at Auburn University. "He was a fun guy, a great teammate."

Source - http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/nl/cardinals/2007-04-29-hancock_N.htm?csp=34

You will be missed by many and left to early. It's just sad the Cardinals have lost 2 Pitchers in 5 years

Shaaady Souljah
04-30-2007, 04:37 AM
i don't mean to downplay the situation, but we already have a thread about this man... it is a horrible story though.

EDIT: I brought your full artice over here as well...

Smokez
04-30-2007, 04:39 AM
I didn't realise we had a topic about this until after i made mine. But he will be missed by many and I wish his family the best

BucklingLeader
04-30-2007, 09:32 PM
yea its gonna be sad to see him go, was hoping to see him play against the royals up in kansas city on june 12th when i go up there but that wont be happening now:(

Jdm
05-01-2007, 06:24 AM
I heard about Josh Hancock's death on ESPN. It is indeed a sad day for baseball. My condolences go out to the Hancock family and to the St. Louis Cardinals organization.

Shaaady Souljah
05-01-2007, 07:03 AM
this situation reminds us that the sport and the games are great, but they are not the most important thing in life. it's sad that the cardinals had to go through a tragedy like this twice as well. (Daryl Kyle, R.I.P.)

ThrillKillBill
05-01-2007, 04:46 PM
i am not a baseball/sports fan but i do live in missouri and this is a tragedy to be sure. his car got completely mangled in this wreck, a real shame. with how groggy he was that last day nobody shoulda let him drive. many of my RL freinds and family plan to make the trip up there for the funeral (even if they have to stay "x" number feet away) and pay their final respects.

R.I.P.

SteelerXBox360
05-01-2007, 04:58 PM
Rest in Peace, Joshua Morgan Hancock.

I read plenty about this as they were scheduled to play my Cubs the day this happened and the least they could do was not play, which they did.

Such a young guy and all makes this all the more sad knowing that he will never get to raise a family, etc.

I pray for his family & friends to get through this terrible loss.

God Bless.

Mothershed_52
05-01-2007, 05:31 PM
It was disturbing, when they showed his explorer on the TV. What was left of it, It's a shame. Then they were also showing the part of the highway where the accident occurred. Now there are reports that he was drinking a lot before the crash. I guess we will have to wait for the reports to come back before we know the truth.

I watch the game yesterday, they lost, but you could tell they were not thinking about baseball. Honoring JH, they now have a black circle with 32 in it on their right sleeve for the remainder of the season. Also, Tim hudson from the Braves got to wear "JH" in big letters on his chest yesterday. I can't stand the braves though it was a nice move on his part. Good luck to the Cardinals the remainder of the season and RIP Josh Hancock.

Styze
05-04-2007, 05:42 PM
It was sad he died....but he didnt have to be drinking and driving.

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/news_story/?ID=206554&hubname=

AOS Puck
05-04-2007, 05:56 PM
It was sad he died....but he didnt have to be drinking and driving.

Nor did he have to be talking on his cell phone, speeding, and smoking pot.

I feel for his family, friends & teammates but this is just another case of someone making stupid decisions. Had he not been famous, it would've been just another blurb in the paper.

I King Pin 0
05-06-2007, 12:23 AM
Saying that his death would have been just a blurb in the paper if not famous is such a disrespectful thing to say. I come from St. Louis Missouri the home of the Cardinals and am extremely uspet (as is everyone else no matter where you come from) about it. Pitchers in the major leagues don't just come by everyday, especially up and coming young guys like Hancock. Anytime anyone gets killed even by making "stupid decisions" whether they are famous or not you should still have the same respect for them even if you did or didn't know them personally. Just think about what the families go through and the people that do know him. Even if he had not been a star he would not just be a blurb in the paper, he still would have mattered.

Thrak360
05-07-2007, 02:39 PM
Such a waste. I feel for his family, friends, teammates. Talk about respect? Sadly, Josh Hancock didn't have any respect for his own life. Drunk, speeding, pot in the car, on the cellphone, no seatbelt. Wish someone had recognized this destructive behavior and stepped-in.