PDA

View Full Version : How does Pro Mode work?

snipingheadshot
08-26-2010, 02:38 PM
I know that it is supposed to be a real guitar/bass/keyboard/drums that you are playing, but do you have to buy their equipment/controller for this to work? What I mean is, can I pick up my electric or acoustic guitar and plug into some adapter where it can tell what note I am playing, or is that only possible with their controllers? Also, does anybody know how much each controller costs if I have to buy their stuff? I heard that each pro instrument is $150+. If that is true, then how can anybody buy every single instrument seeing as there are achievements for pro mode on every instrument?

Straylow
08-26-2010, 02:54 PM
This is a good page reference if you keep forgetting little bits of info, like price and what everything looks like: LINK (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/06/rock-band-3s-new-instruments-unveiled-priced-up-to-370.ars)

At the moment, you cannot use any existing real guitars with the game nor is there any adapter that you can buy. There is, however, a MIDI adapter for drums and keyboards that one may purchase and use actual full-length keyboard and full size MIDI drums with the game. That adapter will be $40.

Now, there are two PRO guitars being made. The Fender Mustang, which is the red one in the article I linked, and the Squier Stratocaster. The Mustang is going to be $150 and can also function as a MIDI guitar. While it has strings for strumming, the neck features 17-frets, which is something around 100 buttons. The Squier, more info HERE (http://www.rockband.com/zine/fender-squier-pictures), is going to be a full-length, full-size, six-string real guitar for Rock Band 3. You can plug it into an amp and jam if your heart so desires. Price is yet to be announced, but I would guess it's probably going to be $200-$250.

Oh, and to answer the original question, I'm fairly certain there's no way to play PRO mode without a PRO instrument.

snipingheadshot
08-26-2010, 06:38 PM
I think it's cool that they are doing this, but the prices are kind of crazy. $150 for the Fender Mustang and it doesn't even look like you can play it with an amp. I bought my electric guitar and amp for only $100. I also don't like that they put achievements for pro mode for all instruments. Do they think that most people can just buy a $400 game whenever they want to?

mikachu93
08-26-2010, 07:49 PM
I think it's cool that they are doing this, but the prices are kind of crazy. $150 for the Fender Mustang and it doesn't even look like you can play it with an amp. I bought my electric guitar and amp for only $100. I also don't like that they put achievements for pro mode for all instruments. Do they think that most people can just buy a $400 game whenever they want to?
Of course they're going to be crazy. They're real instruments. If you can't afford it, then don't buy it... The Pro achievements are there as an incentive to buy the Pro instruments, as if learning a real instrument wasn't incentive enough. That being said, even with no real income (teenager making his way through lawns and pet care), I saved up the money for the game, the Squier (assuming a $250 price tag), and the keyboard after just a few months.

If you bought your guitar and an amp for $100, then you bought the cheapest guitar on the market; I don't think even Guitar Center goes that low.

snipingheadshot
08-26-2010, 08:49 PM
Of course they're going to be crazy. They're real instruments. If you can't afford it, then don't buy it...

If you bought your guitar and an amp for $100, then you bought the cheapest guitar on the market; I don't think even Guitar Center goes that low.

Most people CAN afford it, like you and I, but $350 is a massive disincentive to purchasing this game with everything, especially if you can learn an instrument for way cheaper. I taught myself guitar, bass, drums and for free. All it takes is dedication and practice. As for my guitar and amp, I did buy them both from Guitar Center, but sadly they are pretty old now.

Rev. Link
08-26-2010, 11:33 PM
What if you're a lefty? Am I gonna get screwed out of being able to play pro mode?

TwistedFate
08-26-2010, 11:51 PM
What if you're a lefty? Am I gonna get screwed out of being able to play pro mode?

Just guitar and bass if you insist on using the Squier. The Mustang only has 17 frets so it's no worse for lefties than the standard guitar controller.

Straylow
08-27-2010, 02:24 AM
Most people CAN afford it, like you and I, but $350 is a massive disincentive to purchasing this game with everything, especially if you can learn an instrument for way cheaper.

Or you can always wait till the holidays and ask for it then. It's crazy how many more people will actually buy the large bundles when they are on sale for $10-30 off the marked price. But, yeah. I'd be lying if I didn't say I went and figured out how much money I have to save aside each week until it launches. Worked out to be roughly $30. Not too bad. That's $60 from each paycheck till then.

tmcmullen08
08-27-2010, 09:01 AM
Most people CAN afford it, like you and I, but $350 is a massive disincentive to purchasing this game with everything, especially if you can learn an instrument for way cheaper.

I completely agree. I bought my guitar and amp a little over a year ago for only $150.

I actually have a regular pay-by-the-hour job, and it would still be difficult for me to afford the whole game. My plan is of right now to buy the game, an adapter for my keyboard, and the cymbal kit for my RB drums, all for less than $150 (don't know exact price). I may get the $200/$250 guitar down the line.

Well, you're fine on drums and keyboard. You will get screwed for guitar only if you buy the Squier Stratocaster (the one thats a real guitar). If you buy the Madcatz guitar (the one with 100+ buttons), you can play it lefty or righty.