PDA

View Full Version : dope

ApochWeiss
08-27-2010, 02:25 PM
You know, while I was driving to work last night, I got to thinking about dope. Why isn't dope that famous? Why doesn't dope get the attention deserved? Why is it I never see anything about dope in any magazines, like feature article or cover spreads? Why does everyone seem to overlook dope? dope is good!

If you think I'm seriously talking about a drug, then you're one of those people I'm confused about. I'm talking about dope (they spell it that way, with the lowercase d) the band. I've been a fan since they debuted with their full-length Felons & Revolutionaries, and have watched the band seriously grow and mature since then. Some of you may remember them from contributing a cover of You Spin Me (Right Round) for the Psycho soundtrack, and also had a song on Guitar Hero III.

Are there any other fans out there? If you are and have followed since the start, do you guys share the same feeling I have that dope is perhaps one of the most grown/matured band? By that I mean taking their sound from when they started, and then evolving so far away from that initial sound over time.

For those who never heard of these guys, here's some videos they did and hopefully you'll see the evolution the band has gone through over the years:

YouTube- Dope - Everything Sucks
Everything Sucks, off debut album "Felons & Revolutionaries"
also note the Manowar shirt Trip Eisen is wearing. Fun fact: this is the band that put Trip in the spotlight, who later worked with Static-X.

YouTube- Dope - Now or Never
Now or Never, off "Life"

YouTube- Dope - Burn
Burn, off 3rd album "Group Therapy"

YouTube- Dope - I Am
I Am, off "Group Therapy"

YouTube- Dope - Another Day Goes By Official Music Video (Lyrics On Screen And In Description)
Another Day, off "Group Therapy"

YouTube- Dope - Survive music video
Survive, off 4th album "American Apathy"

YouTube- Dope 6 6 Sick WEBRip XviD
6-6-Sick, off 5th album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO5TblPodmg
Addiction, off "No Regrets", latest video
be warned, this features a busty girl with duct taped nipples holding a guitar that has a snake on it a sexy manner. I'd be addicted too. So, if you are offended by sexy poses and duct taped nipples, as well as holding guitars wrapped with snakes, don't watch.

EliteShadowMan
08-27-2010, 02:52 PM
yeah i don't know why they aren't that famous either. From when i first heard them in GH3 i did some searching for their songs and they are pretty damn good. Maybe they don't want to be to famous? lol

Nozza XBA
08-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Be confused about me please..

ApochWeiss
08-27-2010, 03:07 PM
yeah i don't know why they aren't that famous either. From when i first heard them in GH3 i did some searching for their songs and they are pretty damn good. Maybe they don't want to be to famous? lol

It's not really a factor of fame. I mean, they have a VERY strong following for how little promotional effort is put into them. I'm just floored by that lack of PR. I mean, yeah, they have videos for each album, but really it just seems like they get shit rotation as I've NEVER seen them on tv, even on headbanger's ball. I NEVER see any magazine ads or even reviews of their albums in any magazine out there. Matter of fact I don't think I reviewed their new one for my site if memory serves me correct haha. I've questioned it for years now. I mean, Disturbed? HUGE PR push behind them all the time. Slipknot has a stronger PR presence since they went lighter.

Oh well.

EliteShadowMan
08-27-2010, 03:40 PM
It's not really a factor of fame. I mean, they have a VERY strong following for how little promotional effort is put into them. I'm just floored by that lack of PR. I mean, yeah, they have videos for each album, but really it just seems like they get shit rotation as I've NEVER seen them on tv, even on headbanger's ball. I NEVER see any magazine ads or even reviews of their albums in any magazine out there. Matter of fact I don't think I reviewed their new one for my site if memory serves me correct haha. I've questioned it for years now. I mean, Disturbed? HUGE PR push behind them all the time. Slipknot has a stronger PR presence since they went lighter.

Oh well.

yeah i don't understand how this world works lol. Disturbed is one of my favorite bands and their new album is pretty good, but i still wouldn't consider them to be as popular as they are. Whereas bands like dope don't get much attention, i'm still confused as well as why stuff like this happens but oh well lol. maybe in a year or two they will finally get really famous and actually get some recognition.

Pentexrx8
08-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Don't forget about the Police take down scene in The Fast & The Furious which featured Debonair by dope. Great song. Great scene.

BarbaricGoose
08-28-2010, 12:09 AM
The only song I like by them is Motivation. And I don't even listen to that much. I wouldn't say I'm a fan.

But you mentioned how dope has evolved and that got me thinking about Devin Townsend. That guy has evolved. In SYL, he released some pretty heavy stuff. After quitting, he went on to do things like blues and funk, with Ki, and progressive rock/metal with Terria, Accelerated Evolution and Ocean Machine, as well as ambiance with releases like Devlab and The Hummer.

I've never seen a single artist change quite that much. Especially when they started out as extreme metal.

J.Waddo
08-28-2010, 01:03 AM
I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan, but I really like "Die MF Die" by dope, just something about the beat that seem to like. I suppose I will have to give some of their other work a listen and see what I make of it!

Hero Of Acre
08-28-2010, 01:43 AM
I've never seen a single artist change quite that much. Especially when they started out as extreme metal.

Well Alex Skolnick from Testament went from playing thrash to jazz and then back to thrash.

And about Dope, I've only heard their cover of Rebel Yell and I'm not sure if I can forgive them for that.

ApochWeiss
08-29-2010, 10:27 AM
The only song I like by them is Motivation. And I don't even listen to that much. I wouldn't say I'm a fan.

But you mentioned how dope has evolved and that got me thinking about Devin Townsend. That guy has evolved. In SYL, he released some pretty heavy stuff. After quitting, he went on to do things like blues and funk, with Ki, and progressive rock/metal with Terria, Accelerated Evolution and Ocean Machine, as well as ambiance with releases like Devlab and The Hummer.

Devin Townsend never evolved. He's always been a musical genius since day one.

BedCommando
08-29-2010, 09:41 PM
Better off without another unoriginal band if you ask me.