PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe this game isn't multiplayer

wakey77
08-29-2010, 12:42 AM
I can't believe this game isn't multiplayer, unless iv missed something? Honestly thought this game was online would have been perfect, for such a massive title, very disappointed. Can't believe I also have to download the full instruction manual what's that about, no online no manual this game should b cheaper to buy. Rubbish!

YEAHY0UKN0W
08-29-2010, 01:33 AM
I can't believe this game isn't multiplayer, unless iv missed something? Honestly thought this game was online would have been perfect, for such a massive title, very disappointed. Can't believe I also have to download the full instruction manual what's that about, no online no manual this game should b cheaper to buy. Rubbish!

i felt the same way
this ame is really sick
it should have like mafia death match
zomq thatd be so sick

RadiantViper
08-29-2010, 01:49 AM
No. Not every game needs multiplayer. I for one am very happy that this game has none.

crazy W01f 816
08-29-2010, 01:52 AM
No. Not every game needs multiplayer. I for one am very happy that this game has none.
This.

I really hope this "every game needs multiplayer" fad ends quickly.

/thread.

YEAHY0UKN0W
08-29-2010, 02:08 AM
dude this game really deserves multiplayer
fucking Brothers in Arms has multiplayer
smfh

Dragonwhisp3rer
08-29-2010, 02:09 AM
Why do people insist in having multiplayer every game. There are games that are built with multiplayer in mind and that's good. I hated the fact that Bioshock 2 had Multiplayer and of course with that, multilayer dlc with achievements. Soon Assassin's Creed and Dead Space will too. They should concentrate on having a great single player campain and not do halfassed multipayer instead. So stop bitching about the lack of multiplayer! There are a lot of great games for that. Co-op on the other hand is always welcome :)

YEAHY0UKN0W
08-29-2010, 02:13 AM
Why do people insist in having multiplayer every game. There are games that are built with multiplayer in mind and that's good. I hated the fact that Bioshock 2 had Multiplayer and of course with that, multilayer dlc with achievements. Soon Assassin's Creed and Dead Space will too. They should concentrate on having a great single player campain and not do halfassed multipayer instead. So stop bitching about the lack of multiplayer! There are a lot of great games for that. Co-op on the other hand is always welcome :)

your the only on bitching
and the only reason you dont like multiplayer is cuz you dont like putting any effort into actually getting achievements.
multiplayer achievements are so much more difficult to obtain

Dz06lt
08-29-2010, 02:14 AM
not every god damn game needs multiplayer get over it

YEAHY0UKN0W
08-29-2010, 02:18 AM
dude i never said it did
calm down sir

Dragonwhisp3rer
08-29-2010, 02:22 AM
and the only reason you dont like multiplayer is cuz you dont like putting any effort into actually getting achievements.
Maybe I am bitching but I am tired of this awful trend of multiplayer in everything. And as for the online achievements, they are usually easier because of boosting, but sucks even then when you have to play a pissy multiplayer to get those achievements.

Kramericus
08-29-2010, 02:41 AM
Christ what did all you people who constantly demand multiplayer in everything do back before games had internet connections? There is nothing wrong with a damn single player game every once in awhile. Im delighted that this is a game that actually just focused on the single player rather than following the stupid trend of tacked on multiplayer.

GSDragon
08-29-2010, 02:55 AM
Christ what did all you people who constantly demand multiplayer in everything do back before games had internet connections? There is nothing wrong with a damn single player game every once in awhile. Im delighted that this is a game that actually just focused on the single player rather than following the stupid trend of tacked on multiplayer.

I completely agree, I hate how some developers feel the need to add multiplayer to their games. If you are going to do it at least put some effort into it, not put out some half-assed crap. AC:Brotherhood multiplayer is actually looking quite interesting on the other hand.

Obsidian Rocker
08-29-2010, 03:01 AM
Wow, I think a whole lot of people have got the wrong end of the stick here. Yes, not every game needs multiplayer, but the point OP is making is that this game is one that would have suited multiplayer. Sure, not every game should have multiplayer. Take, for example, Bioshock 2, as someone mentioned earlier. The multiplayer was just slapped onto that, lets face it. Multiplayer can even ruin the single player. I.E Modern Warfare 2 (Don't get me started on it).

Anyway, as OP said, I wouldn't have minded maybe a little GTA4 style free roam multiplayer. I think it would have been fun

YEAHY0UKN0W
08-29-2010, 03:05 AM
Heres the fucking facts
Game developers put multiplayer in their games for more money. XBL games make more profit than most single players.

Kramericus
08-29-2010, 03:16 AM
no one here was really confused by why the companies do it. What most of us dont get is why every single time there is a single player game there just has to be a group of people complaining and/or wishing it had multiplayer. There are plenty of games that already offer that. You want a GTA style free roam multiplayer experience? There is this really neat game called GTA that already offers that.

Dragonwhisp3rer
08-29-2010, 03:31 AM
Heres the fucking facts
Game developers put multiplayer in their games for more money. XBL games make more profit than most single players.
Thank you Capten Obvious. We are all enlighted. :p

piwo4me
08-29-2010, 06:26 AM

I am bitching too, I am so tired of everything having multiplayer. Give me more single player, give me more story/plot, I am tired of playing with 12 year olds. And multiplayer achivos are not harder, just a matter of putting in the time for the most part.

Redemption Mode
08-29-2010, 06:49 AM
Mafia II does NOT need (or needed) multiplayer. It is perfect the way it was shipped. It reminded me of The Godfather II (which had multiplayer). I never did bother with it, mainly because it didn't have Multiplayer Achievements. Some game need it and some don't; not ALL games need multiplayer. :woop:

Resurgam040
08-29-2010, 08:37 AM
Not every game needs a multiplayer.

IMO GTA IV didnt need one, it got one and I didnt like it.

I like the solid storyline on this game, lineair or not, I love it :)

M1keX
08-29-2010, 10:46 AM
Thing is 9 times out of 10 if a game like bioshock or GTA gets multiplayer you find the single player takes a hit, i mean bioshock 1 had a gret story line was a good lenth and you really got into it, now bioshock 2 had a ok storyline wasn't no where near as good as the first and wasn't anywhere near as long and thats because they had to a multiplayer to game when it wasn't needed.

Same with GTA i felt that it was alot shorter than other GTA games (excluding the dlc) because of the multiplayer.

In my Books and as many of you have said some game should just do single player and only that.

DarknessAlone07
08-29-2010, 10:50 AM
Nah, i feel this game would make a decent multiplayer experience. I mean the idea of getting a group of friends to form a family mafia. There are clans on other games, so it would be a slight change. Having businesses and owning car garages, elements like that, so maybe make multiplayer a free roam element, but not as bad as RDR's multiplayer where everyone shoots each other constantly. This game would suit it, but I certainly agree other games do not, bioshock 2 for instance should be ONLY a single player game, it does not fit in.

wakey77
08-29-2010, 11:16 AM
Where did I say every game needs multiplayer? I just said this game needs it and it would have been awesome mob fun. As an xboxlive subscriber and the amount we pay for games these days don't feel we get value for money these days with some games (if I want to see the manual for this game I have to download it and spend money printing it out WTF!) If it had multiplayer it adds longevity to the game. As it's not your going to play through it once collect playboy and wanted posters and then be done with it. Which is what I'll b doing when I get 1000gs. Multiplayer should be there as a choice you don't have to play it. One of the main strengths and appeals of xboxlive to me is being able to play online games with friends and family. Can't believe thisgame dosent embrace this :(

wakey77
08-29-2010, 11:20 AM
Heres the fucking facts

How come when the game retails at exactly the same price as an xbox live game?

fivebyfive200
08-29-2010, 12:14 PM
]but not as bad as RDR's multiplayer where everyone shoots each other constantly..

thats what Mafia 2 MP mode would be like. I don't see how MP in mafia 2 would be good, turf war would like team deathmatch. its complete BS that XBL games makes more money than a game with mutliplayer unless it CoD, Halo, or Gears

By adding MP modes it takes away from the main game, edit: less people at available for the single people and it suffers because of it. I would hated it if Mafia 2 had less chapters or even more buggy etc because someone wanted death mode

Dark Sector had a MP mode and it was crap and it was dead online very quickly because it was not much fun. Also you get ach. whores boosting because they just want the gamerpoints and will ditch the game.

I'm sure there are people who want multiplayer for Fallout New vegas :confused:

Kramericus
08-29-2010, 03:09 PM
Where did I say every game needs multiplayer? I just said this game needs it and it would have been awesome mob fun. As an xboxlive subscriber and the amount we pay for games these days don't feel we get value for money these days with some games (if I want to see the manual for this game I have to download it and spend money printing it out WTF!) If it had multiplayer it adds longevity to the game. As it's not your going to play through it once collect playboy and wanted posters and then be done with it. Which is what I'll b doing when I get 1000gs. Multiplayer should be there as a choice you don't have to play it. One of the main strengths and appeals of xboxlive to me is being able to play online games with friends and family. Can't believe thisgame dosent embrace this :( You didnt say it, but in every damn forum it seems (except RPGs thank god) there is someone just like you "oh man this game would be so awesome with a multiplayer mode". Maybe its just because Ive been playing video games since the 90s before this bullshit multiplayer trend took root, but I am perfectly happy with a good single player game and when a game has as fun of a story as Mafia I usually replay it through just for fun every few years so I certainly get my value out of it. If people dont like non-multiplayer, then dont play it and stop demanding that yet another game/game series goes off and half asses a multiplayer at the expense of the single player.

KieranJ08
08-29-2010, 04:32 PM

I agree :)

GSDragon
08-29-2010, 04:54 PM
You didnt say it, but in every damn forum it seems (except RPGs thank god) there is someone just like you "oh man this game would be so awesome with a multiplayer mode". Maybe its just because Ive been playing video games since the 90s before this bullshit multiplayer trend took root, but I am perfectly happy with a good single player game and when a game has as fun of a story as Mafia I usually replay it through just for fun every few years so I certainly get my value out of it. If people dont like non-multiplayer, then dont play it and stop demanding that yet another game/game series goes off and half asses a multiplayer at the expense of the single player.

Yet again another great point. Adding multiplayer to a game takes away resources and time from the singleplayer and it usually isn't that good like COD or Halo because the devs of those games focus very heavily on the multiplayer because it is one of the strongest areas of their game. Yes, Mafia II might not have the best replay value it is what you make of it. I for one may one day be rewatching a Mob film like Goodfellas or the Godfather and I might feel like playing Mafia II again.

All in all if you really want multiplayer play COD or Halo, because a Mafia II multiplayer might be cool and fun for a bit it wouldn't last very long.

RadiantViper
08-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Where did I say every game needs multiplayer? I just said this game needs it and it would have been awesome mob fun. As an xboxlive subscriber and the amount we pay for games these days don't feel we get value for money these days with some games (if I want to see the manual for this game I have to download it and spend money printing it out WTF!) If it had multiplayer it adds longevity to the game. As it's not your going to play through it once collect playboy and wanted posters and then be done with it. Which is what I'll b doing when I get 1000gs. Multiplayer should be there as a choice you don't have to play it. One of the main strengths and appeals of xboxlive to me is being able to play online games with friends and family. Can't believe thisgame dosent embrace this :(

Clearly this game doesn't need it if it doesn't have it, no? And I don't get your beef with the manual. I haven't looked at a game manual in ages.

"One of the main strengths and appeals of xboxlive to me is being able to play online games with friends and family. Can't believe thisgame dosent embrace this"

It's amazing how little sense this makes. You say not every game needs mutliplayer, this part seems to contradict that - other games don't 'embrace' it, either.

They decided to not give this game multiplayer and make it a single player game. Not only should games have variety - every single game having multiplayer would be both boring and annoying - it's completely up to the devs what modes the game has.

I mean, if you want to play a multiplayer game ... go play one of the 50 million multiplayer games out there. This one doesn't have it, get over it.

suprhumannewman
08-29-2010, 10:19 PM
Screw multiplayer, what this game could REALLY use is a true free-roam format, rather than all this "Chapter" junk. It would be nice to truly be able to travel around the map and pick up missed collectibles without waiting for a chapter to load in between each one.

Multiplayer is overrated. Most of the eight to twelve year-olds who play (and scream and curse and rap --poorly-- into the mic) on multiplayer titles are more of an annoyance than a source of fun. Those of us who grew up playing consoles that supported only 2 players, sitting side-by-side, appreciate the occasional exclusively single player experience.

Kramericus
08-29-2010, 10:24 PM
Yet again another great point. Adding multiplayer to a game takes away resources and time from the singleplayer and it usually isn't that good like COD or Halo because the devs of those games focus very heavily on the multiplayer because it is one of the strongest areas of their game. Yes, Mafia II might not have the best replay value it is what you make of it. I for one may one day be rewatching a Mob film like Goodfellas or the Godfather and I might feel like playing Mafia II again.

All in all if you really want multiplayer play COD or Halo, because a Mafia II multiplayer might be cool and fun for a bit it wouldn't last very long. I mean my biggest beef with people who claim "but you dont have to play multiplayer so why do you care" is that it DOES hurt the single player. its impossible for a game's single player to not be affected by the addition of multiplayer. Time and money are finite resources for a game developer, every bit of it that goes to multiplayer had to get robbed from somewhere else. Even games like GTA IV which overall still have great single player lost something. Look at how IV slid backwards from San Andreas when it came to single player features offered. All that customization that had appeared just vanished and I honestly think the diversion of resources into multiplayer had to have a part in that.

Barad
08-29-2010, 10:46 PM
I think this game needed multiplayer..probably would have lasted longer than the singleplayer anyway..

fivebyfive200
08-30-2010, 08:44 AM
Another thing: The game DOES come with a manual and map (for the standard UK edition anyway)

oO Triple G Oo
08-30-2010, 08:57 AM
Another thing: The game DOES come with a manual and map (for the standard UK edition anyway)I got both of those in my collector's edition. It's only like ten pages, but it's in full color.

Wraithdagger
08-30-2010, 09:15 AM
I am extremely glad that this game doesn't have multiplayer. I've played 3 sandbox/open-world games this summer: Red Dead Redemption, Crackdown 2, and now Mafia 2.

The first 2 both had multiplayer, but it was extremely half assed and pointless. In RDR, the goal in nearly any game mode was to get a big gun, or find a good camping spot and you're/your team is set. Not to mention that subsequent patches broke MP entirely rather than fixing it. Crackdown 2's multiplayer focused entirely on co-op, but it was entirely an afterthought because it's exactly the same game... just with additional players.

In both cases, multiplayer offered nothing terribly pleasing, and detracts from the overall experience. It's sad that today we judge games based on their graphical engine or whether it has a certain game mode or not. Mafia 2 is a story based game, and it is fine like that.

Mull3t55
08-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Agreed.

Also not losing hours of playtime grinding through the last 100 GS worth of crappy multiplayer is nice for a change.

Andreas_loel
08-30-2010, 02:04 PM
Maybe I am bitching but I am tired of this awful trend of multiplayer in everything. And as for the online achievements, they are usually easier because of boosting, but sucks even then when you have to play a pissy multiplayer to get those achievements.

Its funny that you use achievement as an excuse to why mp shouldnt be in all games, sure its an achievementsite and all that but still MULTIPLAYER ADDS PLAYABILITY WHO GIVES A FUCK ABOUT VIRTUAL POINTS TO THE DEGREE THAT THEY WANT CONTENT REMOVED?

Kramericus
08-30-2010, 02:22 PM
Its funny that you use achievement as an excuse to why mp shouldnt be in all games, sure its an achievementsite and all that but still MULTIPLAYER ADDS PLAYABILITY WHO GIVES A FUCK ABOUT VIRTUAL POINTS TO THE DEGREE THAT THEY WANT CONTENT REMOVED? To answer your question, if you bothered to actually read people's post you would see that no one this thread has said that. Everyone has given very non-achievement related answers as to why they dislike the multiplayer in everything trend.

As far as the person you are quoting, he was responding to the claim that multiplayer achievements are harder, which is laughably untrue. He never said they were the reason he hates multiplayer in everything.

RadiantViper
08-30-2010, 06:01 PM
Its funny that you use achievement as an excuse to why mp shouldnt be in all games, sure its an achievementsite and all that but still MULTIPLAYER ADDS PLAYABILITY WHO GIVES A FUCK ABOUT VIRTUAL POINTS TO THE DEGREE THAT THEY WANT CONTENT REMOVED?

I like how people keep acting like multiplayer is just a simple addition. Like, they just press a button, and multiplayer suddenly appears.

Multiplayer aspects take time and money. Stop seeing it from the consumer's perspective - maybe the developers didn't have the money, or didn't want to spend it, or just didn't think multiplayer is what they wanted in their game.