PDA

View Full Version : [Mafia/GTA/Godfather] What's your opinion?

amacteur
08-30-2010, 09:29 AM
Hi there,

I'm thinking of buying this game but I would need some advice from people who have it.

I like GTA IV and also The Godfather (I've almost completed these games), and I would like to know if you recommend Mafia 2?

Does this game worth it? How is it?

Thx in advance for your replies ;)

Nozza XBA
08-30-2010, 09:38 AM
I haven't got the game but from what I've seen and read around on these forums its pretty good but its still getting mixed feelings!

All you have to do is watch the trailers and such to notice that the graphics are spot on, and from what I hear the stories great!

The things that I hear are bad are as follows;

Some places/chapters are glitchy. Taken people multiple times to do a mission/s to only keep falling through the game world.
Freeroam is only during mission chapters, which isnt to much of a problem but..
There's no side missions. So you only have the story and then you're done. Once complete its just chapter select to pick up all the things you've missed. Which in my opinion is a let down.

I think thats its so far but its not a buy for me because from what I've seen it needs a patch and its been in production or over 2 years and all you get is the story and no real free roam + no side missions at all.. I've got it on my rent list but would love to buy it, but feel it'll just be a waste of my money as it'll be to short and no replay value!

Putting a few collectables in a game to make it last that little bit longer doesnt make a game complete or make you play that bit longer in my opinion. You'll get some other people that'll think differently and give different opinions so take both views into account but its your decision at the end of the day!

Grummy
08-30-2010, 09:58 AM
OK, as far as I'm concerned, if you enjoy BOTH GTA and Godfather, then yes, you'll enjoy this and it's worth getting.

There is a lot said about glitches, but I've only ever seen 1 and I've finished the game, and every game gets glitches, that's nothing unique.

As for the lack of sidemissions, well, frankly, GTA didn't exactly have a wealth of stuff to do either. Frankly the game was bloody dull when not involved in missions. Mafia 2 doesn't have any sidemissions either, but it makes up for it with a cracking story, well played character, and great story missions.

Of the 3, the Godfather games are still far nd away my favourite because the ambient gameplay is superb, the taking over businesses etc. It's something that is sorely missing from Mafia 2. You can still do little things like rob stores, but the focus of this game is the story, not building a mafia family.

Yeah, I think you'll enjoy it, so it's worth getting

Music Man SUB
08-30-2010, 10:02 AM
I've completed it just now and I don't know what to think exactly...
The vibe in the game is very good, you really get that mobster feeling but the story is a bit predictable and the ending just sucks if you ask me...

The game itself took me roughly 12 hours to complete (on hard) and I only need to find the collectibles now. It is pretty short indeed but if you like Mafia type of games you should definetely give this a try.

GTA isn't really mafia style but if you ask me this would be the order of preference for me:
GTA >>>> Mafia II >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Godfather 2

GTA is just massive compared to the other two. Its main story lasts longer, the map is bigger, a lot of sidemissions and other stuff you can do besides the main storyline and so on and so on...

Godfather 2 was just lame...

neeker75
08-30-2010, 10:25 AM
I do not like GTA because of the terrible driving mechanics. Doesn't help when there are so many needless car chase sequences.

I like Mafia but there's a serious lack of activities. There's still a hell lot of driving here but it handles smoother.

I like the Godfather series the most. The 1st game is tough but very enjoyable, with all the strongholds, safehouses and stuff. The 2nd one is easy enough, but the taking over of businesses, building your family tree (and sending them on errands/ defend/ takeover a turf) and ZERO COLLECTIBLES nailed it for me.

Therefore, for me, it's Godfather > Mafia > GTA.

Question: No one mentioned about Saints Row? Coz it'd be Godfather > Saints Row ? Mafia > GTA for me.

amacteur
08-30-2010, 11:03 AM
I do not like GTA because of the terrible driving mechanics. Doesn't help when there are so many needless car chase sequences.

I like Mafia but there's a serious lack of activities. There's still a hell lot of driving here but it handles smoother.

I like the Godfather series the most. The 1st game is tough but very enjoyable, with all the strongholds, safehouses and stuff. The 2nd one is easy enough, but the taking over of businesses, building your family tree (and sending them on errands/ defend/ takeover a turf) and ZERO COLLECTIBLES nailed it for me.

Therefore, for me, it's Godfather > Mafia > GTA.

Question: No one mentioned about Saints Row? Coz it'd be Godfather > Saints Row ? Mafia > GTA for me.

I could have mentionned Saint Row but I didn't because I've never played this game ;)

Thanks everybody for your inputs, I really want to get this game but all the glitches I read on this forum are scaring me :eek:

Rjayy
08-30-2010, 11:05 AM
I would buy Mafia II.

Sean 94
08-30-2010, 11:13 AM
Mafia II is awesome, the setting is great, story is amazing and the achievements are really easy ! But.. there are a few glitches in the game, like one of my friends, he can't play the game anymore because everytime he goes to the middle area he falls into a never ending hole. ( He showed me footage of it, if he is going to upload it on YouTube I will show it )
Anyways, this game is very good, get it ! ;)

Kampfkeiler2
08-30-2010, 11:16 AM
Never played Godfather but i would buy GTA instead of Mafia 2. There is so much more to do.

Penniless Mr J
08-30-2010, 06:03 PM
i enjoyed the game but it is a letdown if you're expecting a gta clone. the story takes around 15 hours to complete. if you want to cllect everything, add on another 5.

the customization is limited. i wasted 100s of dollars picking clothes which turned out to be different than what i expected. for example, i selected an expensive suit that looked black. when i paid 150 bucks for it and went outside, it was a purple jacket with a blue shirt.

there are some glitches, some game breaking.

it'd be perfect if you could add the customization of the godfather with this story and gta 4-like side missions.

AreUPokey
08-30-2010, 09:16 PM
You really can't think of this game like a sandbox game. I think once we get past that we can appreciate the game for what it is. Sure it has a big city where you can take any car and drive anywhere you want but that is where the similarities end.

You really have to think of it like an interactive movie. The games does things to make you feel like the character on-screen feels. One example is very early in the game you have to pick up boxes and carry them (very slowly) over to a truck and set them down, and then repeat the process. Now the devs didn't put that part in the game because they thought it would be fun. They put it there to give you the same feeling Vito was getting, "This sucks" "I'm not going to do this all day for a lousy $10," and in the end you want to do exactly what Vito does, storm out of the warehouse. It helps us understand why Vito does what he does as the game progresses.

I thoroughly enjoyed the story, and I like the dialogue between the characters. I can't help but be a little disappointed in the replay factor, especially considering the first Mafia game had the extra "Freeride" and "Freeride Extreme" modes. Why couldn't Mafia 2 have those as well? The real issue is that Vito's story is always going to play out the same way. There are no choices to be made, there's no alternate way to play through a mission. It all unfolds exactly as the devs intended. But again, since I'm viewing it as an interactive movie, I'm okay with that, I guess.

Overall I'm happy with the game and don't regret my purchase at all. I also haven't experienced any of the glitches I've read about.

bigbear2face
08-31-2010, 01:19 AM
I enjoyed the GTA games up till San Andreas...At that point they started trying to do to much with the sandbox environment.

In both San Andreas and GTA 4 I found myself straying from the storyline to try the side stuff then not really enjoying the side stuff and not being entralled enough by the storyline to go back to it. As a result I never even made it close to finishing the game.

On the other hand I love Red Dead Redemption and Bully which play like GTA but with a few less distractions and in my opinion much better main storylines.

I also enjoyed the original Godfather game much more then any GTA game since Vice City.

I downloaded the Mafia II demo and loved the gameplay mechanics and what little I saw of the storyline. The shooting sequences play more like an actual shooter then any of the GTA games did which was definately a plus.

With all that being said I have the same question as the original poster: Should I pick up a copy of Mafia II?

amacteur
08-31-2010, 03:01 PM
Well, I've just ordered the game on zavvi... I hope I won't regret that :woop:

Thx everybody for your comments ;)

BubsTheGreat
08-31-2010, 04:11 PM
You should give it a try, it's right between Godfather II and GTA IV. I noticed you said you haven't played Saints Row and both 1 and 2 are lots of fun, actually they're practically the same game.

bosl333
08-31-2010, 07:14 PM
Buy it .. great game and worth the money