PDA

View Full Version : Is It Scary

Jellybean468
08-31-2010, 11:51 PM
It's just that I'm not a fan of horror games/movies, I'm faint-hearted haha. Please vote in the poll and help me decide whether to get it or not :)

amacteur
09-01-2010, 10:05 AM
I voted It Was Scary At Times..

This is not an horror game, but an intense psychological thriller.

You can be scared sometimes, but it's not like an Evil Dead or a Brain Dead :D

Jellybean468
09-01-2010, 11:47 AM
I voted It Was Scary At Times..

This is not an horror game, but an intense psychological thriller.

You can be scared sometimes, but it's not like an Evil Dead or a Brain Dead :D

Haha, thanks :D

I'm going to see if any of my friends have it so I can borrow it :)

Darkforce412
09-02-2010, 01:11 AM
the only time it scared me was when i cant hear them behind me and then they silently hit me

o FIR3 M4N o
09-02-2010, 01:17 AM
the only time it scared me was when i cant hear them behind me and then they silently hit me

Just Like You :p

Dz06lt
09-02-2010, 01:18 AM
i voted "at times" but just barely if you want to be scared play dead space or Metro 2033

cutchinz
09-02-2010, 01:53 AM
It's really only mildly scary, but if you play it at night, with the lights off, it gets like twice as freaky. But thats just my opinion idk if it was like that for anyone else.

Miss Allen86
09-02-2010, 09:45 PM
This game is more of a mind fu*k than a scary game. If you want it to be scary. I would recommend playing by yourself, in a dark room, turn t.v. or surround system up and put it on the highest difficulty as possible. You may get startled a few times. Have fun playing. ^_^

Jellybean468
09-02-2010, 11:09 PM
One of my mates has the game and I can get it off him next Saturday. Wish me luck ;)

That also means I have 3 days to 1000G it before Halo Reach comes out haha!

Skurvy_Pirate
09-04-2010, 06:24 AM
What were the scariest parts for people?

Edge x360a
09-04-2010, 01:22 PM
It wasn't so much as scary as it was just freaky. The game pretty much just screws with your mind lol.

Pearson
09-04-2010, 01:58 PM
I voted for mildly scary, because I like to play it late at night with the lights off, with the surround sound turned on and by myself in the basement of my home.

sledge
09-04-2010, 07:45 PM
So far I'm about half way through, I'd say there were some times it was scary. More just mindF**k moments like others said.

Major_4X4
09-05-2010, 08:51 AM
i didnt find it scary at all

Squalasura
09-05-2010, 04:31 PM
This game gives me the same knot in my stomach that Dead Space does. I am constantly tense. I love to be scared and own a ton of horror films but with this or Dead Space its just neverending, you never feel safe. The atmosphere in both games really adds to it. I have had the game a week and am only towards the end of episode 3 as I never play for more than an hour or so. Great game though. As mentioned above, night time, lights off, sound up, especially on a headset really amplifies the experience.

JCDRANZER
09-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Okay, I always wanted to get this since the trailers from several years ago I think. I got it early July and played a little bit of episode 01 and then never again until a couple of days ago when I cousin wanted to try playing the game. So, I restarted my game and let him play to the point I played up to in episode 01 whilst collecting the many collectibles using this guide (http://swearingatvideogames.com/2010/05/08/alan-wake-collectibles-episode-4/). I didn't let him play after that as he kept moaning about me doing all the collecting and stuff, so we played other games until he left and then I went back to Alan Wake.

I've currently gotten up to over the half-way line in episode 04. I had recently finished BioShock, a game which can give you a tense and scary atmosphere, the same is replicated in Alan Wake. However, the difference is with all the plasmids, tonics and weapons at your disposal in BioShock, gives you a certain feeling of "I can tackle this Big Daddy any day of the week" but in Alan Wake, your a normal guy with no such technology at your fingertips, instead, you gradually feel helpless, there was this Taken and I didn't know where to go but the damn thing kept following me, all I had was my torch and no ammo......I was begging it to leave me alone as I ran....slowed down...ran....slowed down....ran before I realised I had to restart my checkpoint and conserve my ammo.

The plot of Alan Wake, is a mindf*ck because its hard to connect the dots in the early parts of the game and when things get revealed, it only gets more complicated. I like it do far and I was lucky to have a card that offered me a code to get the first dlc for free when I bought this game, so late after its release.:woop:

I'm hoping to finish this by Tuesday and then to get as many achievements as I can from Modern Warfare 1 & 2 as well as Bayonetta before Halo: REACH comes out.:uzi:

Jellybean468
09-06-2010, 06:58 PM
I bought the game today for 25 and I love it. Sure it's a little jumpy in parts but heck, it's a great game :)

NightHawk X360A
09-07-2010, 04:13 AM
I would say at times it was scary, it made it a lot more scary when the lights were off and it was night. Made it feel like the darkness was behind me lol.

gameplayer
09-07-2010, 05:15 AM
it was mildly scary to not scary at all, but also mixed with annoying scary the way the enemies always spawn behind you. I found that to be a cheap trick that was repeated over and over and over. I was disappointed.

VaRIABLE SoUL
09-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Some parts go for that "jump out and spook you" effect and the ambiance is creepy but that's about it. The combat system is cool so I actually enjoyed when the Taken showed up.

Mariner Mike 75
09-07-2010, 07:39 PM
I thought it was scary, especially after I set the mood by turning off the lights and closing the shades.

MLG=Most Likely Gay
09-09-2010, 04:45 AM
scariest part is by the anderson farm while going for the last nightmare page i discovered three graves, then when I got close the screen shook and three skeletons burst out of the ground and chased me. I screamed like a girl.

GuardianMonkey
09-09-2010, 04:39 PM
I felt it was more creepy then scary. The audio really helps to amp the creepy factor for me.

xSoAx Shadow
09-12-2010, 12:54 AM
No it just messes with your mind and puts you in this sort of scary atmosphere. It's a thriller without the scare in it if you know what I mean lol.

vitzzz
09-12-2010, 08:20 AM
It's pretty scary in a good way. The atmosphere is quite immersive, so if you really let yourself get into it (and you should) you're in for some good scares. Not like the "oh shi- where the hell did that come from" kind of thing, but it really does a great job of keeping you uneasy as you go along.

IVIR BLOBBY
09-13-2010, 01:04 AM
SPOILERS !!!!!!!!

i was scared at one bit, thats it

The very first level when you go in the shack and you see the eyes on te screen and all you can here is DIE DIE DIE DIEEE.

volume a bit too high :)

rapmusicsucks
09-13-2010, 02:43 AM
there was a few time it spooked my but it wasn't so bad..

Kutlu9
09-13-2010, 01:29 PM
It is not scary but when you highly conctrate the game someone can scare you from back :P

funfive2002
09-13-2010, 04:07 PM
When you compare it with dead space, it's like a fairy tale.

KAG1092
09-13-2010, 05:28 PM
The game itself isn't too scary, but what it does to you mentally is different. I hate walking through forests.

RayT69
09-13-2010, 10:37 PM
the game isnt too scary for me i like the intense parts

Scarecrow DT
11-25-2010, 09:59 AM
Its not really scary at all because in every enemy encounter the camera pans back and shows the enemies

Xen0pi
12-03-2010, 12:02 AM
Its not that scary, but it gives some good spooks now and then :)

Deathly Shade
12-04-2010, 06:24 PM
It definitely has the potential to make you jump.

jammiejay85
12-09-2010, 02:23 AM
Not compared to games like silent hill and dead space but it can be jumpy in places but scary no way. Just wanted to add that this is my favourite storyline along with mass effect 2 from 2010 get it you won't be disappointed :woop:

Glitch in the System
12-09-2010, 03:50 AM
It was not scary. maybe one scene, like a dentist scene from Bioshock, but altogether not scary.

Shade42
12-11-2010, 04:23 AM
I am of the faint-of-heart as well. I get engrossed into stories and enjoy plot-driven tension, but I'm not crazy about jump scares and do not like gross-out scares at all.

I'm only a couple of chapters into the game, but I am really enjoying _how_ it is scaring me. It is doing it just enough with the tension building and a story I want to know more about.

However, my girlfriend watched the first 10 minutes of the game and told me I wasn't allowed to play it while she was in the house. She said it was the music that made it too scary for her.

Shade42

Lord Vlad 666
12-12-2010, 04:21 AM
it had its moments, but not too scary.

paul299
12-17-2010, 07:04 PM
I voted for it was scary at times.

I always shut the curtains when I play any game to prevent glare from the sun on my tv and I use a set of Earforce X4 surround sound headphones.

The headphones cut you off from the rest of the world on any game (on more than one occasion a friend/family member has walked in and scared the living daylights out of me!!) and the dark makes a great atmosphere so that most of the time the game wasn't too bad, but on several occasions I nearly jumped out of my seat!!

The worst parts I found were at the start of some levels where you had no weapons or very little ammo. I know this might sound weird, but I found it reassuring when Alan was all tooled up, anyone else feel like this or just me?

Lsn2Aki
12-20-2010, 03:11 AM
I played the game with the lights off and it was a whole ton more scary. I think that's the way to play this game

Bonkekook
12-20-2010, 06:28 AM
It depends on your experience with horror games and movies. How much of the "scare tactics" they use you've already experienced. I didn't find the game very scary, but I really enjoyed playing it regardless. Not that much out in the gaming world scares me much, anyways. Working on picking up the second DLC so I can play that. Got some surround sound headphones. Maybe that will make the experience more frightening. :P

Perax
12-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Scary at times imo, when needed. I personaly liked this game a lot

Earthworm Jim
12-21-2010, 06:25 PM
It's just that I'm not a fan of horror games/movies, I'm faint-hearted haha. Please vote in the poll and help me decide whether to get it or not :)

Scary is a poor descriptive word to use.
Although it is 'very' suspenseful; it is not scary at all.

Dale Norris
04-04-2011, 04:34 PM
its not really scary but it can make you jump sometimes

EMP
04-04-2011, 06:57 PM
Scary at some point but really only because I just wasn't paying attention and got hit from behind and didn't expect it.. The first time I was like EEEEEEEEEK! lol

MooseOfWoe
04-07-2011, 01:52 AM
1 being not scary at all and 10 being on the verge/post sullying yourself...

I'd give it about a 2.

Assassins Honor
04-08-2011, 02:18 AM
This game had its moments of being scary but beside that point there should be no reason to doubt this game with such a powerful story, It's amazing and I have beat it 5 times on all difficulties and still want to play through it again, Definitely should get this title. :D

Yusshin
04-10-2011, 02:11 AM
It's a thriller/suspense/horror, kinda.

I found it to be scarier than RE IV, but it's more of a psychological horror and makes you jumpy.

Luigikid
04-10-2011, 03:02 PM
It was sometimes scary, but it is a very good game with a good atmosphere.

Kiidz
04-13-2011, 11:40 AM
Sometimes it scares.
If you play in the dark, with headphones and the controller vibration on...

Herr Shaun
05-02-2011, 06:37 PM
Not really scary per se, but there are parts that can be disturbing. What really got me were the poltergeist objects, which creepily shake and hover in the air before throwing themselves at you.

Phengophobic
05-30-2011, 05:12 PM
I found it to be scary at times - scary at times being late at night in the dark.

I loved being scared though, I get some kind of rush from it :3

S1C
06-10-2011, 04:21 AM
It had some parts where it would make you jump...people attacking you from behind

BIGbivvie
06-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Games aren't usually scary, although I cant speak for Alan Wake yet as I haven't played it.

Ozbaab
06-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Sure, it was scary enough

nlfancher
06-15-2011, 11:02 AM
It wasn't scary at all to me. Especially once you learn to expect attacks from out of your view.

Capt_Ron CFH 01
06-16-2011, 06:39 PM
Hmm, the game isn't really scary in the horror movie kind of way. It's not Silent Hill, but this game can really pull you in.

Play in the dark with the sound up; as you're running through the woods at night with the wind howling around you and the darkness/fog all around you'll get this uneasy need to run feeling. And as the taken keep popping up all around you and you hear weapons flying past you it gets intense.

One thing Alan Wake does well is build up it's characters (well the main ones anyways) and makes you like them so that when they're being attacked or fighting back you care about what happens to them.

pantlessben
06-17-2011, 10:02 PM
It's quite scary when you're out of ammo and running for your life to a safe haven on nightmare difficulty. Good times!

truthbtold
06-18-2011, 08:43 AM
Not scary at all a little nerve recking maybe especially those parts where you cant die for the achiv. Still think that the first Silent Hill was one of the cariest i played so far

Kensington
07-03-2011, 11:53 PM
This game gives me the same knot in my stomach that Dead Space does. I am constantly tense. I love to be scared and own a ton of horror films but with this or Dead Space its just neverending, you never feel safe. The atmosphere in both games really adds to it. I have had the game a week and am only towards the end of episode 3 as I never play for more than an hour or so. Great game though. As mentioned above, night time, lights off, sound up, especially on a headset really amplifies the experience.Well said! Yeah, I found the tension almost unbearable at times during my first playthrough. It didn't so much scare me as just make me extremely anxious.

Kensington
07-03-2011, 11:54 PM
Not scary at all a little nerve recking maybe especially those parts where you cant die for the achiv. Still think that the first Silent Hill was one of the cariest i played so farYeah, I'll never forget being creeped out by the little monsters in the school. I'd never played anything like it before, and it scared the crap out of me.

Team Penguin
07-07-2011, 09:29 PM
If you're the type who literally puts themselves in the game, then you're in for one hell of a ride. It really does screw with your mind and can make you feel paranoid.

zzamaro
07-12-2011, 04:01 AM
What were the scariest parts for people?

I also wonder this. I played this game 2 times, and most of the times the game actually warns you enemies are coming.

Talaron
07-18-2011, 12:04 AM
The game might not be the scariest on the market but it still has it's shocking moments and I like that most of the scary moments are created through the atmosphere and not through stupid boooh-shockers.

Spanish Assault
07-19-2011, 09:31 PM
I love how well written this game is...it's scary..I find my self at the edge of my seat.

captpluto9465
07-25-2011, 06:31 AM
While not like Exorcist-scary, I find myself constantly tense playing the night sequences. What the game really does well is give you a feeling of foreboding during the daytime when things are safe. You just dread going out into the mountains and want to stay in those cozy cabins or lodges. ;) The sound design is masterful too and really helps with the atmosphere.

Tyhon
07-26-2011, 12:01 AM
Yeah exactly just the earie surroundings you get placed into is just creepy. Also the monsters approaching keep being announced in slomo so that isn't the problem. My problem is still with the shocking moments of Barbara. BRRRRR

Spanish Assault
07-26-2011, 12:34 AM
While not like Exorcist-scary, I find myself constantly tense playing the night sequences. What the game really does well is give you a feeling of foreboding during the daytime when things are safe. You just dread going out into the mountains and want to stay in those cozy cabins or lodges. ;) The sound design is masterful too and really helps with the atmosphere.
great way to describe the game....I dreaded going out at night.

FeatherbottomMR
07-26-2011, 06:20 AM
ya not too scary but running through the woods at night creeps me out a little bit because you know the darkness is out there....

niko da bos
07-26-2011, 04:15 PM
If you're the type who literally puts themselves in the game, then you're in for one hell of a ride. It really does screw with your mind and can make you feel paranoid.

this is like me for sure, i always try to emerge myself into the game (character) and understand what is going on during the story.

i have been planning on getting this game since january or so, and thinking of heading to gamestop after work to pick it up. any direct advice from a pro who has done mutiple playthrus? things i should avoid, look out for, missables?

not sure if the game has different difficulties, if so i will most likely play on the hardest to get the full experience. one thing i dont want to do is rush thru the playthru and get to the end before i realize whats going on. any big sidequests or DLC that add to the story?

captpluto9465
07-27-2011, 08:24 PM
not sure if the game has different difficulties, if so i will most likely play on the hardest to get the full experience. one thing i dont want to do is rush thru the playthru and get to the end before i realize whats going on. any big sidequests or DLC that add to the story?

Try beating it on Normal to get a feel for the gameplay and enjoy the story without being overwhelmed. Don't worry about collectibles the first time through, just get the ones you see. Then you can go to Nightmare mode.

On Nightmare mode, it's a good idea to just go for the Nightmare pages and not worry about the other collectibles. There are some areas where you're trying to look around and Taken keep re-spawning.

A third playthrough on Normal is good for getting leftover achievements and collectibles. Copy and paste a checklist for those thermoses, otherwise you'll go crazy looking for them. The game doesn't tell you which chapter you have missing ones.

There's The Signal and The Writer DLC to be played after the main game. Remember to go through the Episodes menu to choose them, otherwise the game will force a higher difficulty on you. The DLC episodes are much harder than the main game. You'll probably have to play these twice or more (especially with the no-die achievements) to get everything.

Habs14
08-17-2011, 09:09 PM
I didn't find the game scary, it's more of a thriller and I really enjoyed it. The old bitch is creepy though

TealPavelski
08-18-2011, 02:42 PM

Same here. The game kinda reminded me of the TV Show 'Lost' when the characters first encountered "The Others". They could only hear them whispering, but couldn't see them.

The game isn't overly scary, but it had a few scenes that made me jump.

TriggerSama
09-05-2011, 06:26 AM
Really scary

Coadster1
09-05-2011, 07:04 AM
Why are people still posting in this thread? OP made up their mind back on Page 1... last year.
:locked

Guitar LInc0ln
09-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Why are people still posting in this thread? OP made up their mind back on Page 1... last year.
:locked

Maybe because it's not closed yet?? And why not? Others also should have a chance to tell their opinion.

Toaster Forster
10-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Its not scary,definetly no 'Dead Space',now thats scary.

Skilled
10-09-2011, 07:37 AM
If you want scary play amnesia. 'Nuff said.

I jumped a few times playing Alan Wake though.

spookyhurst
10-13-2011, 05:47 AM
I am a serious wimp, and don't like anything in the way of scary. Unfortunately, I still have a morbid curiosity for such things. I finished the 1st episode of Alan Wake tonight, and it's not too bad. However, I'm playing with the sound really low, which lessens the tension quite a bit. Lights off and sound up would likely give me nightmares!

Deadsea17 4 ever
10-23-2011, 09:51 AM
It's really only mildly scary, but if you play it at night, with the lights off, it gets like twice as freaky. But thats just my opinion idk if it was like that for anyone else.

Thats how I played it. Thats why I voted Scary. Scariest game since I played Dead Space. Its a neat game too, if you can't trust your neighbors then who ?

polyamorous99
11-29-2011, 06:51 PM
I thought it was pretty scary. I haven't beaten the game, this is the first game I've ever played like this. I like it so far though.

JuSt BLaZe
11-29-2011, 07:34 PM
[x] Midly Scary

I had my shocking moments, even in the DLCs.

JakeB
12-14-2011, 09:36 PM
I voted "mildly scary" because I thought "scary at times" was being too modest. I was creeped out/paranoid about 90% of the game.

Havock DoUrden
12-14-2011, 09:47 PM
The whole horror of this game is how the enemies just appear out of the forest. I wonder how the recently announced sequel will improve upon this.

Vectorman953
12-19-2011, 06:48 PM
The scariest part of the game, for me, was done by accident.
I was in complete darkness, surround sound up real loud because my roommates were out, and playing while wrapped in a blanket with my girlfriend, because we're poor and heating costs cash money playa

I was searching for chests in one of the woodsey portions of the game, and came up to a shack. I was just staring at the wood paneling because my girlfriend had gone to make hot chocolate, and I heard footsteps in the game.
I looked around in every direction - nothing. Weird.
I went into the little shed, nothing to be found, not even ammo.
Stepped outside, and was looking at the wood paneling again, while conversing with the GF.
Heard more steps in game.
Turned to my left, giant taken right there.

Seriously screamed like a little girl.

GloatingSwine
12-20-2011, 11:58 PM
It's about as scary as a particularly inoffensive kitten.

If the game ever does threaten to get tense, Alan will open his stupid gob and ruin it with some dumbass narration.

UltimatesWaffle
12-22-2011, 01:14 AM
The game was rather repetitive, so it became predictable after a while. I found it scary at times during the first chapter or two, but then I kinda just wanted to get through the game, so I wasn't into it as much.

hydrosugar
12-24-2011, 04:05 AM
I'm not finding it scary, but then again I desensitized to the point nothing not grounded in reality fails to scare me.

InsaneKane87
12-28-2011, 09:30 PM

This is how I am when I play most games but mostly games like this. There have been times I will hear something and just freeze pointing my flashlight all over the place.

xzibitionist
12-30-2011, 04:17 PM
It is scary. be sure to play in a dark room, turn lights off and pull the curtains across (preferably heavy dark curtains).

Cammulder
02-10-2012, 03:44 AM
Yep, playing with the lights off definitely helps create the mood needed to enjoy this game. I'm not usually easily frightened, but I sure needed to take some breaks while playing to remind myself that "it's just a game." :)

HugTheBear
02-10-2012, 03:46 AM
This game freaked me out for some reason. Wilderness, darkness, wind, creepy noises all kinda mixed together and did it's job in creeping me out. :Bounce:

CloudCircus
02-13-2012, 05:54 AM
Hell yes it is scary -- it is pitch black and you are in the woods

pedgz
09-24-2012, 01:24 AM
at times scary, but since i'm not really into that, this game has enough of a scare factor for me. it isn't actually a horror game, it just, as my friend put it, gave me a mindjob.

Negative Creep
09-24-2012, 11:59 PM
I wouldn't say it was scary, although there were a few startling moments. It's more creepy than anything else in the way the Taken mere from the background, and those brief moments of uncertainly as to whether that thing in the mist is an object or a baddie,

FeatherbottomMR
09-26-2012, 03:30 AM
I wouldn't say it was scary, although there were a few startling moments. It's more creepy than anything else in the way the Taken mere from the background, and those brief moments of uncertainly as to whether that thing in the mist is an object or a baddie,
I would agree that it is pretty creepy.... Being outside in the dark woods knowing that the taken are out there....

Ninja Eagle
10-29-2012, 11:05 AM
It's not a "scary" game, it's a psychological thriller, which is kind of like a mindf***!

Alkazhar
11-07-2012, 07:11 AM
Like all horror games, when you have figured out its mechanics, its no longer scary. But Alan Wake does a good job.

Birdseye
02-03-2013, 08:29 AM
For me ( person easily scared by horror games ) It was surprisingly... mild at lest at the beginning. After that it really scared me - not by cheap jump scares but by "Stephen King" like story and this atmosphere.

Suedon70
02-26-2013, 03:45 PM
There were several times a Taken would jump out of the shadows and I'd go "whoa!" but other than that it wasn't too bad. Just finished the first play-through the other day - great game:)

Sean Bahamut
03-28-2013, 07:51 PM
I dont enjoy survival horrors, never have. I dont particularly like just feeling on edge the entire time I play a game. I tried this because I'd heard it had an interesting narrative, and it really did. There were moments when it felt a twinge, but the lack of variety in enemies meant that you pretty quickly learned that 1 strategy pretty much kills every type of taken, which took all the the scares away.

The only bit that really got to me was (SPOILER ALERT) when you have to go through the hedge maze. For some reason that part, all the way to the end of the level from it, had me shaking.

Dr Stud027
04-06-2013, 07:27 PM
Great game, nonetheless.

Dudek
04-18-2013, 05:56 AM
I would say more intense than scary. But the two are interchangeable sometimes with this game.

Banu22elos
04-18-2013, 06:34 AM
I'm going to see if any of my friends have it so I can borrow ithttp://mbm999.info/17.jpghttp://mbm999.info/18.jpghttp://mbm999.info/19.jpghttp://mbm999.info/20.jpg

Selfpwned
04-22-2013, 04:24 AM
It isnt bad... But then again It depends on how You play.. How loud the stereo is.. Is it dark? with friends? Etc Etc :)

SicklyPlague
05-23-2013, 03:29 AM
I thought it was mildly scary, then again i played it when it was dark (both outside and in my room) and at times during a storm.

blimbor
05-25-2013, 09:36 PM
Its a lil scary for my taste...

McGoogles
05-26-2013, 12:58 AM
Not really. It does have a few relatively frightening parts (especially when you're playing during the night) but overall I'd consider it more of an action/adventure game than a horror game.

Vic2Point0
09-18-2013, 05:11 AM
I would say it's scary for people who aren't used to horror, especially in games. Whether that's because they have never played a horror type game or it's just been a while.

But it's not the same TYPE of scary as most "horror" genre games. There are not many jump-out-of-your-seat! moments, but plenty of sit-at-the-edge-of-your-seat moments ;)

I'd say it's more of a "psychological thriller", just as it's claimed to be. More about suspense than fear, if that makes any sense.