PDA

View Full Version : Shanoa Got Screwed (Figuratively, not literally)

UCB Disco
09-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Okay. So I decided to take a break from my Xbox and LIVE in general because the wife tells me "I'm a little obsessed". Despite if the statement is true or not, I decided to play Order of Ecclesia once again, since it has been a while (I figured I'm going to play all 3 DS ones again, but this was the one I remembered the least about), and I have already invested a good 9 hours into this playthrough (Okay. Maybe I am obsessed. SHUT UP!).

First of all, Shanoa has so many Glyphs in this game, and I mean SO MANY. I haven't kept count, but I'm halfway through Dracula's castle and I have at least 30. Ranging from Weapon Glyphs that are SO much better than Pneuma and Lapiste (Although Lapiste is still sweet in Order of Ecclesia) to many secondary Glyphs like Magnese.

Hell, even her Fulgor is a weak spell in this game compared to her others. Glyphs are actually rare to get, unlike Harmony of Despair, where you can basically absorb any one of the 4 enemies you can get Glyphs from any time.

When I went back to my old Dawn of Sorrow (Soma) save, Soma is pretty much the same. Minus a few things, but all in all, he's pretty much there. He absorbs pretty much everyone, has a ton of powers, and can basically use any weapon in the game... just like Harmony of Despair.

Went back to Portrait of Ruin, and pretty much the same thing. Charlotte and Jonathan are basically rips from their respective games as well (Outside of Jonathan not being able to use other weapons), coming to Harmony of Despair with most of their powers/secondaries and abilities.

I played through Symphony of the Night before Harmony of Despair came out, and Alucard (Outside of his Bat) is a solid replica.

Which makes me go back to Shanoa; Why in the world did Konami screw her character over? She went from having 28 weapon/shield glyphs, 21 magic glyphs, and 23 secondary glyphs to 3 weapon glyphs, 4 magic glyphs, and 1 secondary glyph. In Harmony of Despair, there is a reason she is the worst character compared to the others, because Konami stripped her of a majority her powers. She has nothing in this game compared to her host game, unlike the other playable characters who have most of their items and abilities (Especially in comparison). She really could have been a contender for most used character if she has been given her proper weapons, magics, and secondaries.

Hell, I rarely EVER use Magnese in Harmony of Despair (Especially for Chapter 6 runs. UGH!), much like Order of Ecclesia, because Shanoa has much more powerful and much more useful secondaries than that. All I'm basically saying is that Shanoa got screwed, and Konami really needs to fix her. I know they won't, but they really should.

PeZat
09-02-2010, 05:58 PM
And I was looking forward to playing Shanoa... Greeeeeeeeeeat

Archina2255
09-02-2010, 06:48 PM
as bad as this would sound. i reckon if shanoa had ALL her powers she could be a little overpowered (not the the valmanway and yasutsuna arent.) Shanoa can actaully lead Ch6H runs belive it or not. in my opinion she is the third strongest character in HoD (with my list going soma, alucard, shanoa, charlotte, jonathan.)

Going towards alucard here but its too bad he couldnt have a few things too. the bat form, wolf form and the shield rod could've added alot of variation to him for the game.

ShinUkyo
09-02-2010, 08:23 PM
I know what you mean, as Shanoa was my favorite hero(ine) from the DS games. Order of Ecclesia was my favorite title, and I spent over 200 hours with the game. Don't worry about being obsessed, these games very well deserve it. And yes, I agree she was definitely given the short end of the stick. I realize that no one in this game was given their full range of abilities, but they certainly could have given her a couple more weapons and spells to work with.

It would have given her more variety, in that sense. At least in the case of Soma or Alucard, even though they have a couple very specific "most powerful" builds, there is such a variety of setups you can use if you're up for some fun. With Shanoa, the only choice you're given is which of three potential melee weapons to use in each hand. Other than that, you're stuck. I don't see how it would have been so hard to throw in a couple more categories of weapon glyph, like a sickle or hammer. Maybe throw in four to eight more spells.

sera07
09-02-2010, 10:03 PM
My favorite character is not Shanoa(My favorite is Maria from SOTN, which you have to clear the game as Richter and only on PS), still I feel good when I played the DS game beacuse it is the first magic core castlevania (I prefer to call it magic because not like 'soul' for Soma).

Shanoa had as much as magic as Soma does(use mp -> magic, you know what i mean) and I do love those black and white dog glyphs (cause it looks cool). I can't remember how many magic are in the game, but I believe she is a strong character, even stronger than Soma.

On the other side, HD is not a bad game, but Shanoa was really screwed up in this game. 4 core magic and 3 glyphs? You got to be kidding(She got so many magic and weapon on DS) and now she don't even have the cross glyphs ability (:dup: + :xbut: / :ybut:) which made her really screwed.

I remember to use confodere on DS for some special boss mode running and it was fun, still I regret I didn't clear all the mission.

UCB Disco
09-03-2010, 03:41 AM
as bad as this would sound. i reckon if shanoa had ALL her powers she could be a little overpowered (not the the valmanway and yasutsuna arent.) Shanoa can actaully lead Ch6H runs belive it or not. in my opinion she is the third strongest character in HoD (with my list going soma, alucard, shanoa, charlotte, jonathan.)

Going towards alucard here but its too bad he couldnt have a few things too. the bat form, wolf form and the shield rod could've added alot of variation to him for the game.

1) Of course if Shanoa had all of her powers and abilities, she would be overpowered. But as it stands right now, she is underpowered. Her Lightening ability is the best thing she has going for her, and what I said before, is one of the weakest abilities from Order of Ecclesia. She should have gotten at least one of her swords (Secare, Vol Secare, or Melio Secare), and at least 5 more magic abilities, such as Acerbatus, [Vol] Luminatio, [Vol] Umbra, Vol Grando (Should have absorbed this from Sea Demon), and Globus.

Lastly, her secondary should have at LEAST one more slot. C'mon, Konami. Just Magnese? Really? Why not Arma Felix or Chiroptera? Even better if she had at least one familiar, like Fidelis Caries, Alate, Polkir, Noctua, Medusa, Aranea, or Mortus! Again, she got screwed.

2) No offense to your ranking, but on Charlotte should be ranked 1st or 2nd, judged entirely by ability (And NOT Yasutsuna or Valmanway). Her and Soma are the strongest characters in terms of what they're capable of. Charlotte got most of her magic abilities, and they are really easy to absorb in Harmony of Despair. You can max her out in under 6 hours, easily. As for the others, it's impossible to say, especially for Soma and Alucard, as boss drop abilities are just as rare as any other 5-star item.

3) Lastly, if they had the shield rod for Alucard, that would just be another stupid exploit that people could use. I think that's a main reason why Konami didn't put it in. I hated when I initially played SotN, because all the guides kept suggesting to use that combination and it made the game too easy. Alucard is fine the way he is. And so is everyone else, for that matter.

Besides Shanoa, the only other person who got "a little" screwed was Jonathon. He should be able to use things besides the Vampire Hunter. I mean, he is a Morris and not a Belmont. But I understand why they didn't.

UCB Disco
09-03-2010, 09:14 AM
On the other side, HD is not a bad game, but Shanoa was really screwed up in this game. 4 core magic and 3 glyphs? You got to be kidding(She got so many magic and weapon on DS) and now she don't even have the cross glyphs ability (:dup: + :xbut: / :ybut:) which made her really screwed.

Right on, my friend. I forgot to mention that in my initial post. Of all things, if you're going to strip her of most her glyphs, at least let her do Glyph Unions with the little that she has.

Ridiculous. She was the first character I started investing in Harmony of Despair, and I quickly gave up on her within the first couple days of having the game. I would much rather play with Soma or Charlotte, as they have much more variety and are truer to their original forms than the others.

Pyroblaze992
09-03-2010, 11:07 PM
Definitely she did! I was disappointed upon looking up her overall glyphs and come on now! One thing im not moved about is the titles are wrong for them but thats whatever..Mainly of all things they give Confodere.....i dont know who actually used that personally i had hoped they would have a bit more i for one used the Falcis-the sickle, and i was disappointed kinda to hear of all things Pnuema was in here seeing as its the ONE spell i didnt get in OoE but essentially she had all those capabilities and they decided to go with 8...they could have at least maybe given her the AP type of scaling instead of pulling back to her spells leveling as Jonathan's do. They would have had to cap it off earlier i know this since @ where i am on the game i get a rather sizable attack range for dmg but it would be decent she could have the bigg hits to keep up w/ Yasutsuna/Valmanway anyway.

Lil Cipe
09-04-2010, 12:54 AM
Glad someone else feels the same way about this. I was well annoyed when I found out Shanoa only had 4 spells. I just didn't really believe it.

Liebschatz
09-04-2010, 07:29 PM
She really should have the scythe glyph. And unision attacks. and generelly double the spells :)

UCB Disco
09-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Okay. In addition to my original post, I can nerdfully say that I've played through Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, and Order of Ecclesia (Not in that particular order) since the origin of this thread, and I honestly have to say that Order of Ecclesia was not only the best of the three games, but it also had a larger and more entertaining mapping system.

I'll give Dawn of Sorrow credit for exceptional boss fights, as it really had some of the best, but the story for Dawn of Sorrow was rather weak (Especially in comparison to Aria of Sorrow on the GBA). Portrait of Ruin's only strong point was the tagteam effort between Charlotte and Jonathan. Other than that, nothing was original or mind blowing. Even boss fights felt pasted from earlier Castlevania games.

However, Order of Ecclesia took the whole Dracula story in a new direction. For those of you who haven't played this, do yourself a favor and buy it NOW. If you don't have a DS, how about you go buy one (You're doing yourself a favor) and then buy it (As well as Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin. They're all good, really). Shanoa as a main character was exhilarating. Her memory loss left the story in suspense, and as things progressed, you really didn't know who to trust anymore and what the intentions of each party were.

This is only toppled by the fact that it's the one game that Harmony of Despair ignored the most. It really is disappointing that Shanoa as well as Order of Ecclesia were both really screwed during the production of Harmony of Despair.

Lets only hope they do the game justice in future updates. Especially with weapon glyphs.