PDA

View Full Version : Indirect Kill Achievement Tip

Shaynringan
09-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Hey guys,

I figured this might help a few of you who are having trouble getting the 20 indirect kills achievement.

I made an interesting discovery :: when I was on the very beginning of Chapter 4 with the Anderson's Farm, where Barry and Alan become separated, I found that you regain control and as you proceed you hear Barry and Alan have a conversation about Barry getting attacked by a Taken. Alan screams at Barry to use a Flare and you hear Barry do it succesfully.

This is a storyline triggered event and is not missable.

What's interesting is that when I triggered this event, Alan ordering Barry to use the flare to kill a Taken actually resulted in kill #20 triggering then and there and granting me the achievement.

The short version is that if you keep restarting at this section, every time Barry does this, you get credit for an indirect kill so you could abuse restarts/reloads to get this achievement if you have trouble.

Hope this helps.

jamie1000013
09-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Nice method!

I have gotten like 3 indirect kills and I don't even know how lol. I think maybe the Taken walked into one of my safe haven's resulting in an indirect kill.

JCDRANZER
09-05-2010, 09:37 PM
What's interesting is that when I triggered this event, Alan ordering Barry to use the flare to kill a Taken actually resulted in kill #20 triggering then and there and granting me the achievement.

The short version is that if you keep restarting at this section, every time Barry does this, you get credit for an indirect kill so you could abuse restarts/reloads to get this achievement if you have trouble.

Hope this helps.

I don't think this works because I knew how many indirect kills I had and after that event, the number of indirect kills in my statistics page, didn't come up. However, it would have been cool if you actually get credited for an indirect kill just for telling Barry to use a flare but I believe flares are unable to actually kill the Taken, I think they can only take away their "darkness shields" but not actually kill them.;)

Shaynringan
09-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Yeah, you're right that the flare doesn't outright kill when Alan uses it.

However, I definitely got the achievement after Alan told Barry to use the flare. You hear the explosion go off, and then Barry starts laughing. Right there I triggered #20. The game probably registers any kill not occuring as a result of Alan's direct control as an indirect.

I can't think of any other reason the game would give an indirect achievement right there, because the coincedence was just way too uncanny (right after the explosion) and at that part in the storyline Alan is utterly unarmed and no other taken are around.

In theory you may not have gotten credit because you weren't "close" enough to Barry for it to register. That's just conjecture though. I'm pretty sure the reason it popped is because its not just an audio dialogue, somewhere along the lower path Barry really does face a Taken in the game engine and kill him.

Whatup14
09-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Another good spot is at the stage defense in episode 4. I started with 6 indirect kills and ended up with 19...

Jellybean468
09-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Another good spot is at the stage defense in episode 4. I started with 6 indirect kills and ended up with 19...

Me too! I don't know how many I started with, and I got the stage defence achievement and got this too somehow :D